shape
carat
color
clarity

Calling on Vendors to Enact Across the Board 30 Day Returns...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/7/2010 7:56:28 PM
Author: henearly89

In the end, it all worked out.

Forgive me, but is your purchase completed?
Do you have your diamond, or are you still shopping?

henearly89

Shiny_Rock
Conclusions:

I think Kenny and Wink made some valid observations that are a fair way to bring this discussion to a close.

1. All vendors should make sure their return policies and any distinctions between in-house and sourced stones are clear on their websites. Sales agents on the phone should make sure the consumer understands the policies for their particular situation before purchases are finalized.

2. It would help if, as Wink suggested, the policies that applied to that purchase were displayed during the purchase process, sometime between the credit card info entry and the submit button. Not every purchase is the same and sometimes, exceptions arise. It would be helpful if there was as little ambiguity as possible in these circumstances.

3. As Kenny suggested, vendors should make it clear WHEN their inspection period begins and ends. Does it begin when it is shipped or when it is received? Do weekends count? Do holidays? What if the last day or two of the inspection period falls on a non-business day/mailing day? This should be very clear to the consumer. If weekends and holidays do not count (or at least do not count for the last inspection day), 10 business days seems plenty sufficient.

4. As Wink suggested, if a diamond is being sourced that is not a stone you would like to get stuck with, make that clear to the customer. As long as that is clear, I don''t see any problem with holding to a steadfast return deadline.

henearly89

Shiny_Rock
Date: 3/7/2010 8:05:14 PM
Author: kenny

Date: 3/7/2010 7:56:28 PM

In the end, it all worked out.

Forgive me, but is your purchase completed?
Do you have your diamond, or are you still shopping?
Done. Purchased the stone from BN and am thrilled with it. I got sort of lucky buying without the detailed analysis, but the cut angles and proportions fell within the AGS/GIA overlap and it scored a 1.2 on the HCA. The sarin they gave me showed excellent symmetry and minimal variance, so I decided to take a chance.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''m glad you are happy but surprised you are unhappy enough to stir all this up.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/7/2010 8:07:11 PM
Conclusions:

I think Kenny and Wink made some valid observations that are a fair way to bring this discussion to a close.

1. All vendors should make sure their return policies and any distinctions between in-house and sourced stones are clear on their websites. Sales agents on the phone should make sure the consumer understands the policies for their particular situation before purchases are finalized.

2. It would help if, as Wink suggested, the policies that applied to that purchase were displayed during the purchase process, sometime between the credit card info entry and the submit button. Not every purchase is the same and sometimes, exceptions arise. It would be helpful if there was as little ambiguity as possible in these circumstances.

3. As Kenny suggested, vendors should make it clear WHEN their inspection period begins and ends. Does it begin when it is shipped or when it is received? Do weekends count? Do holidays? What if the last day or two of the inspection period falls on a non-business day/mailing day? This should be very clear to the consumer. If weekends and holidays do not count (or at least do not count for the last inspection day), 10 business days seems plenty sufficient.

4. As Wink suggested, if a diamond is being sourced that is not a stone you would like to get stuck with, make that clear to the customer. As long as that is clear, I don't see any problem with holding to a steadfast return deadline.
Great summary henearly89..

I DO feel some very valid points have been brought up.

I think we circled and circled about, but the resolution was there.

Best of luck to you going forward.
2.gif

Ella

Brilliant_Rock
Staff member
Premium
Please keep this thread about the OP''s topic only.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/7/2010 3:56:38 PM

She did more to confuse me then to explain their policy. She left me feeling as though I would, in fact, be entitled to their favorable policies. It was only my wonderful interactions with Sheerah at WhiteFlash that made me ask one last time to make sure. Ultimately, I feel as though a vendor should offer the same policies for sourced diamonds as they do for in-house diamonds UNLESS they are clear in communicating to the customer that the sourced diamond does not meet the same standards as the stones they usually sell so while they will source it for you, they are not going to accompany it with the same in-house policies.
hen...what you don''t understand is...

the cutting houses (owner of the sourced stones) not gonna play by the vendor''s "in house" rule.they want their stone back or $$$ as soon as possible.

jan can

Shiny_Rock
Sometimes I think we''ve all become a little spoiled by the policies of shopping for other little items at the big name stores like Macy''s, Sear''s, Dillard''s, et al. These vendors aren''t dealing with volume or purchasing power or the money made from your credit cards. We certainly don''t expect the same terms from the little vendor on Main Street as we do of the big chains.

At the same time, it is only fair that the vendor make their policies clear too. From the limited amount I''ve looked at, it is there.

Both sides have to be fair. If your definition of fair and theirs isn''t the same, shop elsewhere. There are tradeoffs in everything. Even sayiing that, the best plans can go awry. Jmo.

Porridge

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/7/2010 8:07:11 PM
Conclusions:

4. As Wink suggested, if a diamond is being sourced that is not a stone you would like to get stuck with, make that clear to the customer. As long as that is clear, I don''t see any problem with holding to a steadfast return deadline.
Good suggestions. Hopefully vendors will see this.

And, of course (and this is not aimed at you or any situation specifically, just in general), customers should read the fine print and ask all the questions before making a purchase. Especially a big purchase.

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
After 5 pages:

If it ain't broke, don't fix it

I agree whole-heartedly it is the customer's responsibility to *ask questions* and familiarize themselves with all aspects of their purchase.
By the same token, it is the vendor's responsibility to publish clearly and thoroughly their policies, whatever they may be; and discuss them accurately with consumers when queried.
If scenario's such as the ones the OP is speculating about arise, and they are not covered by the written policies - it will then be up to the vendor's best judgment whether to extend a resolution under special circumstances - or not.

This has been working very well for the PS vendors for much longer than I've been here - like others, I do not see any apparent problem.

Everything else has been said
2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results