shape
carat
color
clarity

Calling on Vendors to Enact Across the Board 30 Day Returns...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 3/7/2010 4:09:16 PM
Author: DiceKTak
Meanwhile, the inventory cost of that lost day on a $6000 diamond is NOT $1800 for that one day. Nor do diamonds lose value between day 10 and day 11

Actually, it might.

This gets into an area that I discuss in the forum quite a bit and that's one of the keys the valuation business. Market selection. If a customer buys a stone, lets say from Wink, that he’s getting from a 3rd party vendor who listed it for sale in a database somewhere for $5,500. Wink buys it and flips it for $6000 with a 10 day return and pockets the difference. On day 10 he pays his vendor and they both go their happy way on to the next deal. Now the customer returns it. Wink doesn’t want it, he’s already said that and was just brokering the deal for a commission. He calls up his vendor and the vendor tells him to take a hike, they’ve been trying for a year to unload that dog and they don’t want it back either. They already spent the money for new inventory. What does Wink do? He can suck it up and take it on the chin for $6000, he can strongarm his supplier to take it back or he can try and find someone else who will buy it. If he could sell it easily then we wouldn’t be having this problem because he wouldn’t mind taking it into inventory and simply writing off 6 bills to good customer relations is way off the deep end even for Wink so this means he needs to stuff it down the throat of his supplier. Gently stuff it because he may want to buy something from these folks again for some other customer. Let’s say they paid $5k for it when they got it. They sure don’t want to pay more than that to get it back and since we already know it’s a dog for whatever reason they probably want to pay LESS than that, maybe quite a bit less.

On day 10 the marketplace was a retail consumer buying a consignment stone from a discount online vendor. On day 11, the marketplace is a industry veteran trying to unload a stone that he doesn’t particularly want onto a wholesale supplier for cash who probably doesn’t want it either. This is VERY different and, frankly, a 25% hit for this is cheap. The stone didn't change, but everything else did.

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ICGA(AGS) NAJA
Professional Appraisals in Denver

henearly89

Shiny_Rock
Date: 3/7/2010 4:11:17 PM
Author: kenny
If you don''t like 10 days go with a vendor that has 30 days.
But then you''d probably whine on day 31.

Some people just feel the rules don''t apply to them.

No, some people believe that the concept of rigid rules that are not flexible to accommodate a very reasonable circumstance need to be rethought and that doing so is in the best interest of not only consumers, but also vendors.

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Wow, I guess I have come across all wrong here. I don''t think I deserve special treatment. Maybe I should just buy diamonds from the country I live in.
33.gif

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/7/2010 4:39:36 PM
Author: henearly89

Date: 3/7/2010 4:11:17 PM
If you don''t like 10 days go with a vendor that has 30 days.
But then you''d probably whine on day 31.

Some people just feel the rules don''t apply to them.

No, some people believe that the concept of rigid rules that are not flexible to accommodate a very reasonable circumstance need to be rethought and that doing so is in the best interest of not only consumers, but also vendors.
The rules need to be firm. They can''t be bending the rules .

henearly89

Shiny_Rock
Date: 3/7/2010 4:36:38 PM
Author: sarap333

Date: 3/7/2010 4:29:41 PM
Kenny,

Again, that isn''t always an option. When it is, fine. But certain stone combinations are NOT available in the in-house industry. Go look for a D IF in the .75 carat range in the AGS000 or H&A cut quality. It doesn''t exist in the PS search. You''d have to go to one of the drop shippers, where you won''t find an idealscope or any confirmation you are actually getting an H&A.

If you choose your vendor first, and establish a relationship with them, they will get to know you and have a better understanding of what you''re looking for. The vendors recommended on this site would be more than happy to work with you to find you want you want, and would no doubt be more efficient at finding it for you than you would be searching the virtual listings. I really do think you''re going about this a bit backwards, since what you''re looking for seems to require a bit more patience to find, and, yes, you may have to put your trust in a specific vendor and work with that vendor over time -- whether it''s a B&M or an online vendor.

Just randomly calling in stones from the virtual listings is expensive, risky, and time-consuming, imho. And a potential waste of time for a vendor.
Wink works directly with the cutter of Crafted by Infinity diamonds, Paul Slegers, who could advise Wink of how long it would take to source a stone meeting your expectations.
The lead time on a purchase like this is 1 YEAR. Yes, I was told this diamond can be found within 1 YEAR. Not only that, the vendor could not even ballpark the price because of the volatility in the marketplace. So I might end up waiting one year only to find out the price is no longer within my budget.

henearly89

Shiny_Rock
Date: 3/7/2010 4:38:46 PM
Author: denverappraiser

Date: 3/7/2010 4:09:16 PM
Author: DiceKTak
Meanwhile, the inventory cost of that lost day on a $6000 diamond is NOT $1800 for that one day. Nor do diamonds lose value between day 10 and day 11

Actually, it might.

This gets into an area that I discuss in the forum quite a bit and that''s one of the keys the valuation business. Market selection. If a customer buys a stone, lets say from Wink, that he’s getting from a 3rd party vendor who listed it for sale in a database somewhere for $5,500. Wink buys it and flips it for $6000 with a 10 day return and pockets the difference. On day 10 he pays his vendor and they both go their happy way on to the next deal. Now the customer returns it. Wink doesn’t want it, he’s already said that and was just brokering the deal for a commission. He calls up his vendor and the vendor tells him to take a hike, they’ve been trying for a year to unload that dog and they don’t want it back either. They already spent the money for new inventory. What does Wink do? He can suck it up and take it on the chin for $6000, he can strongarm his supplier to take it back or he can try and find someone else who will buy it. If he could sell it easily then we wouldn’t be having this problem because he wouldn’t mind taking it into inventory and simply writing off 6 bills to good customer relations is way off the deep end even for Wink so this means he needs to stuff it down the throat of his supplier. Gently stuff it because he may want to buy something from these folks again for some other customer. Let’s say they paid $5k for it when they got it. They sure don’t want to pay more than that to get it back and since we already know it’s a dog for whatever reason they probably want to pay LESS than that, maybe quite a bit less.

On day 10 the marketplace was a retail consumer buying a consignment stone from a discount online vendor. On day 11, the marketplace is a industry veteran trying to unload a stone that he doesn’t particularly want onto a wholesale supplier for cash who probably doesn’t want it either. This is VERY different and, frankly, a 25% hit for this is cheap. The stone didn''t change, but everything else did.

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ICGA(AGS) NAJA
This seems reasonable Denver. If only because Wink let the consumer know in advance he doesn''t want to get stuck with the stone. Too many vendors seem willing to source stones, sell them as if they are their own, and give no hedence to the consumer who doesn''t even realize this was a sourced stone to begin with. That is part of the problem I am trying to address. In the case of Wink, I''m preaching to the choir.

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Most customers neither know nor care what the reason behind a particular rule is. For the most part, it's not even really very important. Part of the value of the vendor is to navigate everything upstream of them and the details of how it works becomes their problem instead of yours.

I think the solution here is a matter of the vendors stating at the end, right after you click the 'buy it now' button but before the 'are you sure?' button to list the details of that particular deal including what you're buying, what it costs and how you're going to pay for it, when they expect to deliver and what the terms of the deal are. I haven't looked at all of them but the ones I've seen are all pretty clear about doing this already.

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ICGA(AGS) NAJA

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/7/2010 4:42:02 PM
Author: Maisie
Wow, I guess I have come across all wrong here. I don''t think I deserve special treatment. Maybe I should just buy diamonds from the country I live in.
33.gif
Oh please... it wasn''t directed at YOU. I think it wasn''t directed at any one person, just made as a general statement.... Or that''s the way I read it..
2.gif

I wish there was a better way for people in Europe to buy from US vendors. But for right now it is what it is....

Lula

Ideal_Rock
33.gif

Hello, Maisie, from a fellow customer of Wink''s
35.gif

I didn''t think you were asking for special treatment. I think your comment about longer return policies for overseas clients is a valid concern, given that the world is more and more a global marketplace, and it just plain takes longer to ship merchandise overseas.

henearly89

Shiny_Rock
Date: 3/7/2010 4:47:18 PM
Author: denverappraiser
Most customers neither know nor care what the reason behind a particular rule is. For the most part, it's not even really very important. Part of the value of the vendor is to navigate everything upstream of them and the details of how it works becomes their problem instead of yours.

I think the solution here is a matter of the vendors stating at the end, right after you click the 'buy it now' button but before the 'are you sure?' button to list the details of that particular deal including what you're buying, what it costs and how you're going to pay for it, when they expect to deliver and what the terms of the deal are. I haven't looked at all of them but the ones I've seen are all pretty clear about doing this already.

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ICGA(AGS) NAJA
Seems right on. It'd be nice if they read a pre-prepared statement over the phone as well, outlining the conditions that apply to that (phone) sale. This would prevent miscommunication and misunderstanding, which is really all that most of us hope for.

The 10 day policies seem to be more of a supply side issue, one that probably hasn't been resolved because there haven't been enough vocal consumers who find this important enough. I guess most consumers either don't send the diamond to an appraiser, or find one close by.

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/7/2010 4:58:00 PM

33.gif

35.gif

I didn''t think you were asking for special treatment. I think your comment about longer return policies for overseas clients is a valid concern, given that the world is more and more a global marketplace, and it just plain takes longer to ship merchandise overseas.
Hi Sarap
35.gif

Thats what I meant I just didn''t word it as well as you did! It does take time for things to travel back and forwards and sometimes customs grab them for a few days too. I didn''t mean that I don''t accept the vendor''s policies. Its just a bit different when you live a long way from the action but you want a decent diamond
1.gif

Lula

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/7/2010 4:42:33 PM
Date: 3/7/2010 4:36:38 PM

Date: 3/7/2010 4:29:41 PM

Kenny,

Again, that isn''t always an option. When it is, fine. But certain stone combinations are NOT available in the in-house industry. Go look for a D IF in the .75 carat range in the AGS000 or H&A cut quality. It doesn''t exist in the PS search. You''d have to go to one of the drop shippers, where you won''t find an idealscope or any confirmation you are actually getting an H&A.

If you choose your vendor first, and establish a relationship with them, they will get to know you and have a better understanding of what you''re looking for. The vendors recommended on this site would be more than happy to work with you to find you want you want, and would no doubt be more efficient at finding it for you than you would be searching the virtual listings. I really do think you''re going about this a bit backwards, since what you''re looking for seems to require a bit more patience to find, and, yes, you may have to put your trust in a specific vendor and work with that vendor over time -- whether it''s a B&M or an online vendor.

Just randomly calling in stones from the virtual listings is expensive, risky, and time-consuming, imho. And a potential waste of time for a vendor.

Wink works directly with the cutter of Crafted by Infinity diamonds, Paul Slegers, who could advise Wink of how long it would take to source a stone meeting your expectations.

The lead time on a purchase like this is 1 YEAR. Yes, I was told this diamond can be found within 1 YEAR. Not only that, the vendor could not even ballpark the price because of the volatility in the marketplace. So I might end up waiting one year only to find out the price is no longer within my budget.

If your mind is made up that you want this very specific size, color, and clarity grade, and especially if you want all that and an ideal cut, then I very much think you need to develop a long-term trusting relationship with a vendor who has access to stones of this caliber. It''s probably not going to be your run of the mill B&M, by the sounds of it. And if you choose to try your luck with the virtual listings, I think DenverAppraiser (Neil) and others have made it clear what the rules of that game are -- and it''s not even the vendor setting those rules; it''s the cutting houses/wholesalers where the stones come from who set the payment terms that the vendor has to comply with. So even if the vendor wanted to give you 30 days, he/she would be committing business suicide to provide those terms given the payment/return rules set by the holders of those stones.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/7/2010 4:46:25 PM

This seems reasonable Denver. If only because Wink let the consumer know in advance he doesn''t want to get stuck with the stone. Too many vendors seem willing to source stones, sell them as if they are their own, and give no hedence to the consumer who doesn''t even realize this was a sourced stone to begin with. That is part of the problem I am trying to address. In the case of Wink, I''m preaching to the choir.
You are making a blaket statement based on one experience. I have been on PS for over two years and have not seen this complaint before. Perhaps non PS consumers have had issues, but given the large percentage of people using PS vendors who found them via PS, this seems unlikely. Rather, I think it is a rare circumstance that could have arisen from miscommunication between you and vendor X. Communication is a two way street.

And can you please name Vnedor X? I am not sure why you are keeping their name a secret. This is a consumer forum and if they are not being clear a) they should have that feedback and b) consumers should know.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/7/2010 5:13:25 PM
Author: dreamer_d

You are making a blaket statement based on one experience. I have been on PS for over two years and have not seen this complaint before.
Neither have I, do you have specific examples to support this claim please?

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/7/2010 5:28:17 PM
Author: Lorelei

Date: 3/7/2010 5:13:25 PM
Author: dreamer_d

You are making a blaket statement based on one experience. I have been on PS for over two years and have not seen this complaint before.
Neither have I, do you have specific examples to support this claim please?
Been here 5+ , and haven''t seen this either...

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 3/7/2010 5:08:56 PM

Date: 3/7/2010 4:58:00 PM

33.gif

35.gif

Hi Sarap
35.gif

Thats what I meant I just didn''t word it as well as you did! It does take time for things to travel back and forwards and sometimes customs grab them for a few days too. I didn''t mean that I don''t accept the vendor''s policies. Its just a bit different when you live a long way from the action but you want a decent diamond
1.gif
I want to jump in here and state one thing for the record, then I am going back to the sidelines to watch this conversation.

When I give you 21 days to look at my diamond I mean 21 days from the day it is received either by your or by your appraisor. We do not hold time spent in transit or in customs against you. I just checked and see that this is not spelled out on my site, I will fix that someday, when I have time, maybe, if I remember but since it has never ever come up in several years I am likely to forget.

What is spelled out and what I will stand by if it ever comes up, which it never has yet, is that so long as you notify us by close of business on day 21 and it is postmarded on that day, we will consider it returned by that day. We also do not hold it against you if that day is a Saturday or a Sunday or a holiday since we are not open on those days.

I suspect that I am not alone in these policies, and expect some of the other vendors to dip their toes in these icy waters when they come back to their offices on the morrow. None of us are out to "get you". We strive to earn your business and I suspect that this thread will give more than me reason to reflect. However, for some of them using drop shipped diamonds, it may be that 10 days is as long as they can reasonably ask from their vendors.

Each of us have our reasons for how our policies are written. I for one have enjoyed seeing this question from so many angles. It does not encourage me to rush out and extend 21 days to 30, but it does allow me to see both sides of the issue or should I say to see that there are many many sides to this issue.

Wink

henearly89

Shiny_Rock
This is not my first purchased that I''ve had to source. .23 carat D VVS stones are also rarely stocked in house. Perhaps my situations have been rare, and that is definitely a good thing if true, but several dealers blurred the lines between their in-house diamonds and the sourced diamond in our initial conversations. Drop shippers did so from the perspective of making it seem like their diamonds were in-house. In-house vendors did so from the perspective of not being vocal about the distinction between THEM choosing to bring a stone in house and ME choosing to do so. I spoke with many vendors. WF and GOG deserve credit for being up front, whether it was initially or after I asked a few questions. Other vendors fell short.

I have a pretty good feeling Kristie had a similar experience. I don''t think a lot of consumers on this site opt for non in-house diamonds. There is enough directing toward larger, lower color, eye clean stones that the inventories are sufficient to meet this need.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes I hope every vendor makes it clear when the X-day inspection period clock starts and stops ticking.
Is it X-days in my hands or X-days out of the vendor's hands?
And are these business days (M-F) or calendar days?

What about holidays? - say day 10 of a 10-dat period is an important holiday and the vendor is closed, or there is no mail delivery, etc.
Does that mean the customer gets 11 days or 9?

I'll bet these things vary too and are not clearly spelled out.
Ambiguity leads to problems.

AFAIC a policy should not be in any way open to different interpretations.
Words are free.
Use as many as you need.

henearly89

Shiny_Rock
Wink, I think 21 days is more than enough. I''d hope that vendors with 10 day return policies can all let it be known to their suppliers that the issue has been raised. If enough vendors do so, suppliers will have to accommodate. Then again, I might be among a small minority on this issue effecting my buying experience so maybe there is not need for a change afterall. There do not seem to be many who support my concern.

henearly89

Shiny_Rock
Date: 3/7/2010 6:31:48 PM
Yes I hope every vendor makes it clear when the X-day inspection period clock starts and stops ticking.
Are they business days (M-F) or calendar days?

Do holidays affect it? - say day 10 is an important holiday and vendor is closed, or there is no mail delivery, etc.
Does that mean the customer gets 11 days or 9?

I''ll bet these things vary too and are not clearly spelled out.

AFAIC a policy should not be in any way open to different interpretations.
Words are free.
Use as many as you need.
Excellent. To be honest, I''ve gotten 2 different answers from my vendor as to when their clock started and stops. Their website makes it clear that it does not start until the day it was shipped. But what if I sent it to an appraiser that day and she sent it back to them to be set. Does it start from the day she receives it the second time, or the first.

There should be clarity on this issue. If weekends and holidays don''t count against the consumer for some or all days of inspection, then maybe 10 days IS enough afterall.

This conversation has become very productive. Thank you Kenny and Wink.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/7/2010 6:30:23 PM
[snip]

.... There is enough directing toward larger, lower color, eye clean stones that the inventories are sufficient to meet this need.

[snip]
You have made a number of statements in this thread that are passively aggresive jibes at the help that many of us offer to other consumers, the above is just the most recent. We are not paid to be here, nor do we have agendas other than helping other consumers. I am not sure why you feel the need to be insulting, but it is uncalled for, especially after many us us helped you, too.

henearly89

Shiny_Rock
Sincere apologies dreamer. I assure you, this was not intended as a jibe, although I will be the first to admit it looks that way upon rereading it. The help that you and Lorelei provide is second to none.

My post made it seem like there is a problem with advising consumers that I stones will be nearly colorless or that SI1''s can be eyeclean. This is excellent advice that will save countless consumers from both cost and agony. Please accept my apologies for the way that came off.

As per the upgrade comment earlier, that is just an opinion of mine. I did not wish to make it seem like I judge others for feeling otherwise. I seem to have gotten a bit defensive that my initial concerns on this thread were taken lightly, and I myself became a bit repugnant. Again, my apologies.

bgray

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/7/2010 6:34:58 PM
Wink, I think 21 days is more than enough. I''d hope that vendors with 10 day return policies can all let it be known to their suppliers that the issue has been raised. If enough vendors do so, suppliers will have to accommodate. Then again, I might be among a small minority on this issue effecting my buying experience so maybe there is not need for a change afterall. There do not seem to be many who support my concern.

Perhaps because you are looking to rabble rouse. You like others here and elsewhere who want something for nothing OR want to outsmart the system to get that needle in the haystack get mad when you dont pull one over on the system--ie the online system where the best prices exist. I have bought several stones from multiple vendors including two Pricescope vendors. I have never had any problems because I read, ask questions, ask for things via email or in writing and know who I am doing business with and under what terms.

Lula

Ideal_Rock
henearly, you are looking at some really rare combinations of color and clarity. I can understand why you are having trouble finding them. And, those color and cut combinations are very expensive. Crafted by Infinity has a E IF 1.09 stone in stock, that I visit on Wink's site every now and then
E IF and the dang thing is more than 20 grand! More than double what a G or H color with VS2 or SI1 clarity would cost.

I don't know if that's because there is a "shortage" of high-color-high-clarity diamonds because the rough just isn't there in sufficient quantities, or there is a shortage because the demand isn't there on the consumer side, but you are looking for something highly specific, and rare, and expensive.

For something this specific, why are you schlepping around the virtual listings looking for such a specific stone, and taking the chance of getting burned by vendors who may not have the time or the expertise to cater to your specific needs?

You've obviously got some cash to spend if you're looking at this color and clarity range, even in stones under 1 carat, so why are you wasting time with vendors who don't deal in stones of this quality? It sounds like "Vendor X" was just a bad match for you and you should consider yourself lucky that you didn't go any further in the transaction.

If your purpose is to warn others about the potential for problems with a drop-shipped stone versus an in-house stone, you've done that. But more important, I think you've demonstrated the dangers of surfing the virtual list without the assistance of trusted pro.

Like others have said way back in the beginning of this post, pick one vendor, whom you trust, and let them help you. I don't know why you are surprised that it could take a year and cost more than you budgeted for -- what you're looking for is not typical.

Have you tried Tiffany's?
9.gif

henearly89

Shiny_Rock
Date: 3/7/2010 7:08:06 PM
Author: bgray

Wink, I think 21 days is more than enough. I'd hope that vendors with 10 day return policies can all let it be known to their suppliers that the issue has been raised. If enough vendors do so, suppliers will have to accommodate. Then again, I might be among a small minority on this issue effecting my buying experience so maybe there is not need for a change afterall. There do not seem to be many who support my concern.

Perhaps because you are looking to rabble rouse. You like others here and elsewhere who want something for nothing OR want to outsmart the system to get that needle in the haystack get mad when you dont pull one over on the system--ie the online system where the best prices exist. I have bought several stones from multiple vendors including two Pricescope vendors. I have never had any problems because I read, ask questions, ask for things via email or in writing and know who I am doing business with and under what terms.
I think this is a bit presumptious. I made it clear to the vendors that I was willing to pay a premium for the clarity/cut/color combo I was looking for with IS images and other analyis and a decent inspection period. NONE of the PS vendors had a stone in stock that met my wishes and so my only immediate option was to have the stone sourced. Because GOG was willing to bring this stone in house and apply all of their policies to the stone, and the another vendor told me they were willing to do so for another stone, I did not understand their distinction between a stone THEY decided to bring in and one I decided to bring in. The distinction really is subtle for those of us who have only been on the site for a matter of weeks. I spent nearly 300 hrs on this site and their respective websites. I READ their return policies. Their salespersons explanation was quite confusing and left me feeling assured that they would not be bringing this stone in under my terms, but rather their own. Fortunately, I WAS careful enough to ask twice and make sure. That is why I ended up rolling the dice on the BN diamond. Their return policy allowed me to take that chance. And while it is not an H&A, it turned out to be a beaut.

Lula

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/7/2010 7:29:10 PM

I think this is a bit presumptious. I made it clear to the vendors that I was willing to pay a premium for the clarity/cut/color combo I was looking for with IS images and other analyis and a decent inspection period. NONE of the PS vendors had a stone in stock that met my wishes and so my only immediate option was to have the stone sourced. Because GOG was willing to bring this stone in house and apply all of their policies to the stone, and the another vendor told me they were willing to do so for another stone, I did not understand their distinction between a stone THEY decided to bring in and one I decided to bring in. The distinction really is subtle for those of us who have only been on the site for a matter of weeks. I spent nearly 300 hrs on this site and their respective websites. I READ their return policies. Their salespersons explanation was quite confusing and left me feeling assured that they would not be bringing this stone in under my terms, but rather their own.

But then don''t you have a choice to ask more questions at this point? Such as, "I''m sorry, what I read on your site was blah-blah; now you''re telling me blah-blah; which is correct?"

As I see it, and I''m not trying to be snippy, given what you''re looking for, you have two choices:

1. Pick one vendor whom you trust who is the most likely to be able to source a stone that meets your specs and will be part of their inventory -- i.e., subject to all the benefits an in-house stone will have from that vendor. Wait until the stone arrives in inventory and they contact you. Make a decision based on the quality of that specific stone and its price. Purchase or not. Risk nothing.

2. Have several vendors source some stones that either you locate or they locate from the virtual listings. Have them put their policy in writing about called-in stones. You may get what you want faster and at a lower price this way, and you may have more to choose from. But the "cost" of this option is that you have to live by their return policies.

I''m just not seeing the problem here, and I don''t mean to be rude.

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
I don't feel comfortable calling on vendors to enact a specific policy. I feel that a business' policies are their prerogative, their business if you will. I feel that policies should be in writing, available on vendors' sites, and consistently enforced. But other than that, I have to reluctantly dissent. Sorry.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don''t see the problem either.

henearly89

Shiny_Rock
Date: 3/7/2010 7:42:52 PM

Date: 3/7/2010 7:29:10 PM

I think this is a bit presumptious. I made it clear to the vendors that I was willing to pay a premium for the clarity/cut/color combo I was looking for with IS images and other analyis and a decent inspection period. NONE of the PS vendors had a stone in stock that met my wishes and so my only immediate option was to have the stone sourced. Because GOG was willing to bring this stone in house and apply all of their policies to the stone, and the another vendor told me they were willing to do so for another stone, I did not understand their distinction between a stone THEY decided to bring in and one I decided to bring in. The distinction really is subtle for those of us who have only been on the site for a matter of weeks. I spent nearly 300 hrs on this site and their respective websites. I READ their return policies. Their salespersons explanation was quite confusing and left me feeling assured that they would not be bringing this stone in under my terms, but rather their own.

But then don''t you have a choice to ask more questions at this point? Such as, ''I''m sorry, what I read on your site was blah-blah; now you''re telling me blah-blah; which is correct?''

As I see it, and I''m not trying to be snippy, given what you''re looking for, you have two choices:

1. Pick one vendor whom you trust who is the most likely to be able to source a stone that meets your specs and will be part of their inventory -- i.e., subject to all the benefits an in-house stone will have from that vendor. Wait until the stone arrives in inventory and they contact you. Make a decision based on the quality of that specific stone and its price. Purchase or not. Risk nothing.

2. Have several vendors source some stones that either you locate or they locate from the virtual listings. Have them put their policy in writing about called-in stones. You may get what you want faster and at a lower price this way, and you may have more to choose from. But the ''cost'' of this option is that you have to live by their return policies.

I''m just not seeing the problem here, and I don''t mean to be rude.
I appreciate your approach Sara. Let me clarify. I did ask. Twice. But I did so on the first stone I was looking at. Not the second. I wasn''t aware that there would be any difference between the two. Apparently they were willing to bring the first stone in house on their own terms. The second stone was going to be on my terms. But when I asked if I would be entitled to the favorable policy on the second stone, having already made it clear that I valued their return policy for in-house stones, she said yes. It was only after my interactions with WhiteFlash had revealed that other vendors did not always do this that I thought to ask one last time as the stone was being brought in.

As for #2, many vendors would not even bring a stone in house without making me pay shipping charges. Some would even require me to pay for analysis such as IS, ASET, GEMEX/Ray Tracing, etc. I couldn''t afford to lay out several hundred dollars just to have the possiblity that I found a stone I liked. In the end, it all worked out.

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
33.gif
Aw sweetie, I hope I wasn''t one of those that upset you. I definitely just meant that there''s really no incentive for a blanket policy like that. I can see a vendor making exceptions for someone they trust, but unless they want to make a name for themselves overseas it just becomes more complicated the more lenient their policies are.

sarap333
1. Pick one vendor whom you trust who is the most likely to be able to source a stone that meets your specs and will be part of their inventory...

2. Have several vendors source some stones that either you locate or they locate from the virtual listings...
Right, what Sara said. Honestly, henearly89, we''re not trying to pick on you, and it''s really, really frustrating when a vendor (of any business) doesn''t give you as much detail as you need. But I think the solution isn''t to enact a 30 day policy; that wouldn''t have done a whit of good in your situation. The solution is to be as educated as you can about your options and realize that every transaction requires a give and take.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results