shape
carat
color
clarity

CAD from Tianyu

jen2mc

Shiny_Rock
95D713DF-896A-44BD-AF7A-2DA8C24AD9B2.png 972813D7-A281-4510-A366-635BDDD1C48E.jpeg FE6225BF-CE79-44A1-B5B6-714FBD69BB95.jpeg 8F44A1A1-B5E7-47FE-98F6-2E2506ADE04D.jpeg Hello all!

I posted about this in the Tianyu thread but I’m worried I’m clogging up the thread with questions, etc. so I thought I’d start a thread for this project and then post final pictures there. I’m having Tianyu make a halo setting for my 7.8mm diamond. I’m excited to try out this look for a fraction of the cost. I’ll post my inspiration pictures and then the CAD received. I’ve gotten some great feedback and I’ll include what I’m writing back to Ella so far about the CAD. If anyone has additional thoughts, I’d love that. This is my first custom project. Thanks!

What I’m asking so far-

1. I’d like the stone to sit lower in the halo.
2. Please, round out the halo a little. Currently it’s a little too square and too wide. I’d like a soft cushion look instead of a square.

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Posting this here.

meant the inside and outside corners of the halo. If the inner are rounder then they may tuck under the round center. Does that make sense?

As to the prongs they always look bigger on a CAD. In looking closer, I think where the girdle is sitting is good and would want them to match it on the ring but the crown on the CAD stone seems tall which might be making them look out of proportion? Anyone else think that? If it were set lower it would be inside the halo based on where they are showing the girdle? If that is what you are going for then that's ok though.

hsc9

Rough_Rock
I'm not very experienced at looking at CADs but the halo looks tilted on your inspiration ring. It's advised a lot on here to tilt the halo to reduce the look of metal around the outside lip and to avoid the "flying saucer" look. If you want the same, you'll want to ask them to tilt the halo to a 20-30 degree offset.

Also, if you haven't already, you might want to specify the type of pave you want. I don't know if Tianyu offers different types of pave but it would help ensure that you get exactly what you want.

The ring looks beautiful!

jen2mc

Shiny_Rock
I'm not very experienced at looking at CADs but the halo looks tilted on your inspiration ring. It's advised a lot on here to tilt the halo to reduce the look of metal around the outside lip and to avoid the "flying saucer" look. If you want the same, you'll want to ask them to tilt the halo to a 20-30 degree offset.

Also, if you haven't already, you might want to specify the type of pave you want. I don't know if Tianyu offers different types of pave but it would help ensure that you get exactly what you want.

The ring looks beautiful!

Thank you for your help!

That’s a great tip! I’ll ask them about tilting the sides of the halo 20-30 degrees.

I’m not sure about the pave. I didn’t even know there was more than one type! Lol

jen2mc

Shiny_Rock
85493B11-9DA5-46DB-AE58-5E4EC03ADBAC.png I sent the email with the changes and Ella sent back a CAD but I think the only change is the stone is removed— so I’m not sure what happened. I’m emailing again.

jen2mc

Shiny_Rock
1E933A9E-ABD3-4D0F-8CC0-61EC58DD5684.png
Here’s the CAD Ella just sent me with the requested changes. Can someone with better eyes tell me if it looks different than the one before? The changes are slight, so it probably does, I just can’t tell. Thanks!

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The corners are rounder than the one above it which is good. But the halo is not tilted much if at all. I think it will be hard to expect PS style precision from them on a ring like this. And I am not sure how to convey the tilt on the halo other than an MS Paint modified picture. Maybe someone can do that?

FutureChocolateMLK

Brilliant_Rock
The only changes I see are the halo is slightly more rounded, and they went from 22 .09 stones to 18. It doesn’t look like they tilted the halo at all, and I’m not sure how the stone would sit differently. Did they also round the donut out instead of maintaining the cushion shape? The basket struts aren’t flush with the donut like your inspiration pic either. Not sure if that’s because of the CAD or ??? Not very experienced with these either, but that’s what my untrained eyes see. Lol. It’s going to be beautiful and I cannot wait to see it!!! I had my heart set on a round in a cushion halo for quite some time before I went with a three stone.

jen2mc

Shiny_Rock
The corners are rounder than the one above it which is good. But the halo is not tilted much if at all. I think it will be hard to expect PS style precision from them on a ring like this. And I am not sure how to convey the tilt on the halo other than an MS Paint modified picture. Maybe someone can do that?

@redwood66 you are totally right about not expecting precision— but also maybe I’m not communicating the tilt in the right way. I’m even confused with how to communicate it— I’ve just been saying to tilt the halo down 20-30 degrees. Do you think I should say more? It might just be what it’s is and the difference between handmade (and thousands of dollars!)

jen2mc

Shiny_Rock
The only changes I see are the halo is slightly more rounded, and they went from 22 .09 stones to 18. It doesn’t look like they tilted the halo at all, and I’m not sure how the stone would sit differently. Did they also round the donut out instead of maintaining the cushion shape? The basket struts aren’t flush with the donut like your inspiration pic either. Not sure if that’s because of the CAD or ??? Not very experienced with these either, but that’s what my untrained eyes see. Lol. It’s going to be beautiful and I cannot wait to see it!!! I had my heart set on a round in a cushion halo for quite some time before I went with a three stone.

Wow! You have an eye for detail! I didn’t notice those things!

I also noticed that the head of the ring is now 4mm instead of 4.8mm tall. But I’m not sure how that will change how the stone looks. Ella said how the stone is placed has more to do with how is set and that it could be set lower. I hope that is the case! I asked for a CAD with the stone set in to get an idea.

I love three stone rings, too! There are so many beautiful choices and working with Tianyu is hopefully a good way to try out different looks!

jen2mc

Shiny_Rock
@redwood66 and @michellelynn9175 point of clarification— is it the metal in the halo that’s tilted or the stones themselves that are titled?

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@redwood66 and @michellelynn9175 point of clarification— is it the metal in the halo that’s tilted or the stones themselves that are titled?
The halo and stones are tilted downwards - higher nearest the center stone and lower at the outer edge. 20°+

It might help to tell them that the halo should be at the same angle as the center stone's crown angle.

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
frankiextah's Victor Canera ring with a 25° tilt.

https://www.pricescope.com/communit...-halo-ring-my-forever-setting-finally.164262/

11_0-jpg.524061

And a thread on what it does to tilt them.

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/what-does-tilting-halos-actually-do.240635/

Last edited:

jen2mc

Shiny_Rock

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lol! I just sent them this exact picture as an example! Hopefully I worded it better for them! The bottom of the halo is still supposed to be level to the ground, correct?
No it doesn't have to be. It will be more metal if it is built like a wedge. It has to have enough metal to be secure in holding the stones.

kindred

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Is the melee going to be made of moissanite? I can't wait to see your finished product.

jen2mc

Shiny_Rock
Is the melee going to be made of moissanite? I can't wait to see your finished product.

Yes, moissanite. Me too! It’s a fun experiment!

jen2mc

Shiny_Rock
38281EC5-6334-45F7-908F-B5A4C8692288.png

Here’s the new CAD after the requested changes. Thoughts?

FutureChocolateMLK

Brilliant_Rock

I’m not sure about the details and approval, but I gotta say I cannot wait for this piece! My most anticipated by far on these threads. I think it looks great though! Let someone a bit more versed in CADs chime in. Everyone on here is so helpful and knowledgeable!

jen2mc

Shiny_Rock
I’m not sure about the details and approval, but I gotta say I cannot wait for this piece! My most anticipated by far on these threads. I think it looks great though! Let someone a bit more versed in CADs chime in. Everyone on here is so helpful and knowledgeable!

Thanks! I’m happy with this CAD and think it’s good to go but am open to suggestions. And you are right, everyone is so helpful— including you!

FutureChocolateMLK

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks! I’m happy with this CAD and think it’s good to go but am open to suggestions. And you are right, everyone is so helpful— including you!

Awww....thanks! You can return the favor when I get mine because I’ll definitely need help! Lol. And I think it looks great too. I’d approve it but I’m no expert. o_O

jen2mc

Shiny_Rock
Awww....thanks! You can return the favor when I get mine because I’ll definitely need help! Lol. And I think it looks great too. I’d approve it but I’m no expert. o_O

What are you thinking about making? I love seeing everyone’s projects!

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium

It looks lovely! I think they understood this time. Does anyone think that 1.5mm is a tad too thin for the shank though? I usually like 1.8 but I don't have any with pave shanks.

FutureChocolateMLK

Brilliant_Rock
What are you thinking about making? I love seeing everyone’s projects!

I’m doing a 3 stone, but waiting on CADs from DK. I guess they’re really backed up so it’s been 3 1/2 weeks since I requested them and still nothing. 7.5mm center and 5.5mm sides. I sent him a bunch of inspiration pics and I’m letting him come up with something. It’ll be kinda floral/trellis style? 6 prongs on at least the center stone, and maybe 3 on the sides? Not sure. Also in 14k YG. The wait is absolutely killing me, but I’ll definitely post the CADs on a new thread when I get them because I’ll need help for sure! I assume I need to post over here since I’m going with moissanite, even though I’ll just need help with the design? Rocky Talky scares me because I’m afraid I’ll get shunned for not buying a diamond. :confused2:

jen2mc

Shiny_Rock
It looks lovely! I think they understood this time. Does anyone think that 1.5mm is a tad too thin for the shank though? I usually like 1.8 but I don't have any with pave shanks.

Thanks— yeah, I’m not sure about the shank. I didn’t specify a measurement. At one part it says 1.5mm and another 1.7mm— so looks like the width and depth of it?

jen2mc

Shiny_Rock
I’m doing a 3 stone, but waiting on CADs from DK. I guess they’re really backed up so it’s been 3 1/2 weeks since I requested them and still nothing. 7.5mm center and 5.5mm sides. I sent him a bunch of inspiration pics and I’m letting him come up with something. It’ll be kinda floral/trellis style? 6 prongs on at least the center stone, and maybe 3 on the sides? Not sure. Also in 14k YG. The wait is absolutely killing me, but I’ll definitely post the CADs on a new thread when I get them because I’ll need help for sure! I assume I need to post over here since I’m going with moissanite, even though I’ll just need help with the design? Rocky Talky scares me because I’m afraid I’ll get shunned for not buying a diamond. :confused2:

How fun to see what he will design! It will be beautiful! I can’t imagine waiting that long— but he’s busy for a reason!
I understand about Rocky Talk but I think if you are just asking for help with a CAD all will be fine. They seem helpful there, too! And if not, just come back here and we will all help!

hsc9

Rough_Rock

Looks so good! I think they'll do a fantastic job. Did you want claw prongs?

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think this looks great!!! I agree with others about going for a 1.7+ width, since 1.5 might be too thin. But I think they got the changes right this time!

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks— yeah, I’m not sure about the shank. I didn’t specify a measurement. At one part it says 1.5mm and another 1.7mm— so looks like the width and depth of it?
Yes the 1.5mm is the depth/thickness of it and that seems thin to me, especially with pave. You don't want it to bend if you bang your hand on something or grip your steering wheel hard like me. :D

jen2mc

Shiny_Rock
Looks so good! I think they'll do a fantastic job. Did you want claw prongs?

Ooooo. I don’t know!! Do I?! What’s the general consensus on claw prongs??

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results