shape
carat
color
clarity

What does tilting halos actually do?

lunamortua

Rough_Rock
From your experience what are the advantages of tilting halos on a ring vs not? What is the maximum tilting angle?

Luce

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hi Luna,
My experience has been if the halo is not tilted the head tends to look like a flying saucer. If the halo is tilted following the angle of the crown it looks more cohesive.;-) I am sure the experts can chime in on the angles and such.

lissyflo

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I prefer a tilted halo as it gives a more 3d look and sculpts to your finger, as opposed to the flatter look of an untilted halo. I personally find it more elegant.

On the flip side, I suppose a flat halo would give more finger coverage, as all the width of it would be across your finger, rather than angled slightly downwards.

Mturgeon05

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Great question! I was wondering the same thing.

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think a tilt can make the stone and halo melee look more distinct as opposed to one big blinding blur.

Sometimes when the stone to finger ratio is overpowering, a halo without a tilt can look like a ufo on the finger.

I think it is design specific.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Luna,
My experience has been if the halo is not tilted the head tends to look like a flying saucer. If the halo is tilted following the angle of the crown it looks more cohesive.;-) I am sure the experts can chime in on the angles and such.
Exactly this. Everyone is different and sees different things. Untitled halo to my eyes is flying saucer, a la Brady Bunch. (You prob don’t know what I’m talking about.). Flying saucer will do. Maybe you don’t see the same thing, and that is fine too.

lunamortua

Rough_Rock
Thanks guys! Is there a certain angle that you shouldn't go past? I've seen 20°-30° is there a major difference between those 10 degrees? What would be your preference?

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks guys! Is there a certain angle that you shouldn't go past? I've seen 20°-30° is there a major difference between those 10 degrees? What would be your preference?

To me, the tilt does exactly above. It avoids an overly flat profile. But, it also acts like side stones that are tilted. It places the diamonds at different plans, so they are all accepting and returning light differently among the "sides" of the halo and the main stone. So, you get more sparkle and flashes as the ring moves.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results