shape
carat
color
clarity

Buying my first diamond :)

LetLoveRule

Shiny_Rock
"Seeing" color is not the same as "bothered by" color.

What if this stone has an "antique lace" tint (warm white) but is one of the brightest, most lively, well-cut radiant stones around? Far better (in my opinion) than a cold white stone that has no sparkle or life.

I can't wait to see pics and hear what you think when you see it!!

I agree! When this diamond was suggested, I kept looking for "better" ones but I couldn't get this one out of my head. It's so different from others that I've seen, also because it's a mixed cut rather than an actual radiant I guess. Besides the J colour, it's perfect and the colour might just be perfect too! :love:

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That is one very interesting facet pattern. I like it, and really like the tall crown. How do you like it? Setting plans in the works?

farrahlyn

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
how did i miss this thread?!!!! That ASET is gorgeous and your pictures just made me *swoon* :love:. it is an incredibly unique stone, are you planning on keeping it?

LetLoveRule

Shiny_Rock
Color looks good. I don’t see tint, face up.
Would need to see it from the side, and in different light environments.
What do you think of the broad facet pattern in the center? Does it appear dark, IRL?

I can't see any colour, from any angle. But to be fair, I haven't seen it outside and in a ring yet. My jeweller said he could see some colour but he's obviously familiar with diamonds. Also, I have only seen it next to a cushion cut in G colour.

The facet pattern is amazing, so different from other diamonds and very pretty in person. I don't think it's dark but more outspoken than the 'crushed ice' diamonds.

LetLoveRule

Shiny_Rock
That is one very interesting facet pattern. I like it, and really like the tall crown. How do you like it? Setting plans in the works?

Me too! It looks so amazing compared to other diamonds I've seen :D yes, the setting is the next step. I want this setting with 8x3 pointer diamonds on each side plus 2 1.5 pointer below the center stone (0.5 tcw). I just can't decide on the prongs as I don't want it entirely "flat" on the side but due to the sides going up to the center stone prongs (the basket), I don't have too much choice.
https://www.angelicdiamonds.com/rad...te-gold-solitaire-with-side-stones-reina.html

Suggestions welcome!

LetLoveRule

Shiny_Rock
how did i miss this thread?!!!! That ASET is gorgeous and your pictures just made me *swoon* :love:. it is an incredibly unique stone, are you planning on keeping it?

Aww thank you :kiss2: yes, I'm definitely keeping it. I just need to finalise the ring design..
If you're interested, there's a square version of this diamond on the James Allen website. I can look up the link :)

farrahlyn

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Aww thank you :kiss2: yes, I'm definitely keeping it. I just need to finalise the ring design..
If you're interested, there's a square version of this diamond on the James Allen website. I can look up the link :)

i saw it posted earlier and it's sooooo lovely! :love::love: If i had the funds i'd snatch it up in a heartbeat

LetLoveRule

Shiny_Rock
i saw it posted earlier and it's sooooo lovely! :love::love: If i had the funds i'd snatch it up in a heartbeat

I've only just chosen my first diamond but I can already see how addictive they are. Unfortunately it's a very expensive hobby.. :D

It's funny, I don't think this facet pattern and high crown are to everyone's taste but I absolutely love it! :love: I love it because it's unusual!

Last edited:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You are very right that diamond collecting is an expensive hobby! We need a warning on the site that diamond addiction is a real possibility of hanging out here! I can testify to that fact!

I think the diamond is right up there with the best radiants I have ever seen. I honestly do not like 98% of them, but this one I love!!! :love::love::love: So excited for you, and I cannot wait to see it set!

Oh and I think your jeweler was just jealous you found a stone that wasn't from him. I think that stone would sell easily over a similiar size and color generic radiant! It's better cut!!!

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You are very right that diamond collecting is an expensive hobby! We need a warning on the site that diamond addiction is a real possibility of hanging out here! I can testify to that fact!

I think the diamond is right up there with the best radiants I have ever seen. I honestly do not like 98% of them, but this one I love!!! :love::love::love: So excited for you, and I cannot wait to see it set!

Oh and I think your jeweler was just jealous you found a stone that wasn't from him. I think that stone would sell easily over a similiar size and color generic radiant! It's better cut!!!

I agree. This is like a combo of radiant & Cushion. I love the facet pattern, and it does not show “crushed ice”, and looks clean. Very great choice!!!
Not sure if this is an option, but if you can, reach out to David Klass and ask if he is able to provide you with a setting that makes your heart sing. Find some inspiration photos & send them to him.
He’s fabulous & affordable! :kiss2:

LetLoveRule

Shiny_Rock

Thank you :kiss2::kiss2: I agree and definitely not thinking of selling :love:

But uh.. couldn't you have warned me after my first post?? :P2:mrgreen2:

LetLoveRule

Shiny_Rock
I agree. This is like a combo of radiant & Cushion. I love the facet pattern, and it does not show “crushed ice”, and looks clean. Very great choice!!!
Not sure if this is an option, but if you can, reach out to David Klass and ask if he is able to provide you with a setting that makes your heart sing. Find some inspiration photos & send them to him.
He’s fabulous & affordable! :kiss2:

Yay :D I think it's like a mix of radiant and emerald cut? Doesn't matter, it's gorgeous and now I need to come up with a name.. :roll2:

I've seen his name several times around here but I'm not sure if he could provide me with a setting or even just the design from the US when me & the diamond are in Australia?

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yay :D I think it's like a mix of radiant and emerald cut? Doesn't matter, it's gorgeous and now I need to come up with a name.. :roll2:

I've seen his name several times around here but I'm not sure if he could provide me with a setting or even just the design from the US when me & the diamond are in Australia?

I believe you send him inspiration photos, he corresponds with you re: design, CADs & you confirm the design. You ship the diamond to him, he creates the setting, sets the diamond & ships the final product to you.
I’ve never had to follow this process (my local jeweler is setting my Asschers), but from what I’ve read, this is the gist.
@sledge has first hand experience of working with DK.
I’m certain he can give you any info you want to know!! ;)2

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it's absolutely gorgeous and I'm very happy I took a chance and ordered it. It really is a special diamond :D funny enough my jeweller said that if I would want to resell it, it would be worth less due to the mixed cut. I think that makes it worth more! :love:

OMG, i just found this thread, that is hands down THE BEST radiant I have ever seen and I can’t believe it is a J color.

You did a great job picking it. I can’t want to see it mounted and on your hand!

LetLoveRule

Shiny_Rock
I believe you send him inspiration photos, he corresponds with you re: design, CADs & you confirm the design. You ship the diamond to him, he creates the setting, sets the diamond & ships the final product to you.
I’ve never had to follow this process (my local jeweler is setting my Asschers), but from what I’ve read, this is the gist.
@sledge has first hand experience of working with DK.
I’m certain he can give you any info you want to know!! ;)2

I don't think that's an option for me as there is no record of the diamond coming into Australia, so shipping would be a big risk. Thanks for the suggestion though! If only I was in the US.. :P2

LetLoveRule

Shiny_Rock
OMG, i just found this thread, that is hands down THE BEST radiant I have ever seen and I can’t believe it is a J color.

You did a great job picking it. I can’t want to see it mounted and on your hand!

Thank you so much :D :D all credits go to @rockysalamander for finding this beauty and all the others that have supported me :love:

You guys are fantastic :kiss2:

LetLoveRule

Shiny_Rock
Can any of you guess that it's a J colour (even though photos are hard to judge from)? I'm not as trained but I can't see it at all..

LetLoveRule

Shiny_Rock
I thought I wanted this setting as I love the cathedral setting:
ENRA17_WG_SIDE.jpg

But then I tried it with a wedding band and realised that part of the diamond wouldn't be as 'visible' with the band underneath it :(
lkjhkju.jpg

I don't want a bend wedding band, so I'm back to square one with the setting :cry2: HELP!

A split shank?
ss.JPG

Or crisscross?
rgthj.JPG

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I thought I wanted this setting as I love the cathedral setting:
ENRA17_WG_SIDE.jpg

But then I tried it with a wedding band and realised that part of the diamond wouldn't be as 'visible' with the band underneath it :(
lkjhkju.jpg

I don't want a bend wedding band, so I'm back to square one with the setting :cry2: HELP!

A split shank?
ss.JPG

Or crisscross?
rgthj.JPG

Why not an elegant, and simple 3 stone, semi-mount?

Something like this:
F76E79A8-20A9-4B73-93FC-4B11BCA7D51B.jpeg
It still raises the center stone, but shows clear lines. You can wear almost any WR with it, and the Radiant’s shape shouldn’t get lost.

LetLoveRule

Shiny_Rock
Why not an elegant, and simple 3 stone, semi-mount?

Something like this:
F76E79A8-20A9-4B73-93FC-4B11BCA7D51B.jpeg

It still raises the center stone, but shows clear lines. You can wear almost any WR with it, and the Radiant’s shape shouldn’t get lost.

That's lovely :) but the bottom would still be less visible (see the red circle from my post). I don't think any single band on the ER would go well with a wedding band as the band would sit right next to it and therefore make the lower part less visible in top view. I want the center stone to stand out but also be able to wear a wedding band.

LetLoveRule

Shiny_Rock
I have been looking for designs online for hours and hours today and may have found the perfect solution! :D

Can I have input on this please:
I want 3 pointers on the band, do I need holes for better light reflection and easier cleaning? Also, which prongs do you recommend?
holes.jpg

I have visited a jeweller here a few times but I'm not convinced I should go with him. He's a very nice guy and he takes his time to talk to me but he seems to be the kind of jeweller that can copy anything you show him but he doesn't seem to be able to help design the ring. The rings that he has shown me are a bit too 'chunky' and flat whereas I like more elegant and rounded. He's made a ring for a friend that's rounded, so I guess he's able to do it.
I have found another jeweller and spoken to their designer. She obviously would be able to help design and she said that we would spend time together to come up with the design, she would then make a silver version of that design that will fit my diamond and once approved, she will make the final ring. She hasn't given me an exact total but it looks like it's not much more than the other jeweller.
I feel really bad going with another jeweller because the first one has spent time showing me his designs, a few diamonds and even wedding bands to my fiancé but as he hasn't started on my ring (yet), I haven't paid him so now I don't know what to do :(sad

Last edited:
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results