shape
carat
color
clarity

Buying my first diamond :)

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I might have to keep looking as they won't have the ASET until they ship it to me, that's a big risk for me as I can't see it before it gets to Australia

That’s what I was afraid of....as I mentioned in my post, earlier.

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like #4 - it shows that carat doesn't always says everything. The measurements make it seem like a 1.2 carat while it's a 1 carat, didn't realise that before :)

The facet pattern is really unique. Not everyone’s taste. I thought it looked neat...worth investigating.

LetLoveRule

Shiny_Rock
Also, don't forgot to compare radiant by size in mm not weight. Cutting patterns vary and they are not consistent like rounds. Sometimes the smaller weight will be larger spread.

Yes, that is great advice. I have been looking for 1.2ct but after seeing some of your links I now see that 1ct can actually look bigger. Any idea how to look for this?

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, that is great advice. I have been looking for 1.2ct but after seeing some of your links I now see that 1ct can actually look bigger. Any idea how to look for this?

The diamond dimensions. Stay objective & widen your search parameters to 1.00-1.30ct.

LetLoveRule

Shiny_Rock

Thanks for finding them. Big difference between the measurements, I like the first one. I don't know that seller though, do you have experience with them? I guess that as long they ship with insurance and you get the GIA certificate, it should be fine. Also, it's an I colour, I thought that H-D colour is better with a radiant cut?

LetLoveRule

Shiny_Rock
Just popping in to say that radiants, like many fancies, don't hide body color well (though better than step-cuts!). In long stones, you can have some color concentration. So, I generally suggest you stick to G/H or above. The exception is if you work with a vendor is is very good with fancies.

Yes, I have been advised earlier not to go lower than H, preferably not even lower than G so I'm trying to stick to that advice.

I looked at all the links you provided, thanks for that :)

Absolutely gorgeous but with the exchange rate a bit too expensive:
https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/radiant-cut/1.02-carat-h-color-if-clarity-sku-4672271
https://www.b2cjewels.com/dd/11620177/radiant-diamond-g-color-if-clarity
https://www.b2cjewels.com/dd/11638960/radiant-diamond-I-color-VVS1-Clarity?sku=11638960

I might have to adjust my budget to 4200 as sellers tend to use their own exchange rate :(

Great price and amazing effect, something like this but eye clean would be it:
https://www.bluenile.com/diamond-details/LD10179958

Very nice colour, I'll look at it again to see if the non-eye clean bothers me:
https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/radiant-cut/1.03-carat-e-color-si1-clarity-sku-5099151

Probably my favourite but what does the fluorescence mean, I thought None would be best?
https://www.bluenile.com/diamond-details/LD10523563

LetLoveRule

Shiny_Rock

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do you remember the price? I'll check again in a day or so as it might just be on hold for someone now.

I'm going to start a new search with all the new information you guys have given me. I was too focused on the weight before, rather than the measurements.

This was under $4500.
It’s true fancies tend to show body color, but it all depends on how sensitive you are to color in diamonds. “I” is still inside “nearly colorless” range. The cut of the stone will also play a factor in how much color you will see. I tried to stay above H, but there is so little to choose from within your budget range that’s anywhere near what I would call “decent”. The majority of the Radiants posted will likely be eliminated due to the “slush” or body color. Since you’re not sure what patterns you favor, it’s good just to show you what’s out there, and allow you to be able to see for yourself what you like.
I love broad, fat facets...consistently across the stone. Others may feel differently. What we’re trying to avoid is the “bow tie” effect, where the broad facets are in the center, and the smaller, mushy facets are at the ends of the stone. That combo leaves the center looking darker, face-on, and creates a “bow tie” effect at the middle section of the diamond. Having consistency across the stone is going to prevent that, whether the facets are small or large.

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for finding them. Big difference between the measurements, I like the first one. I don't know that seller though, do you have experience with them? I guess that as long they ship with insurance and you get the GIA certificate, it should be fine. Also, it's an I colour, I thought that H-D colour is better with a radiant cut?

I do not have personal experience with B2C Jewels, but others in the community have. I have not heard or read of any train wreck stories, but I’m not familiar with their policies. You can also get the diamond info, and ask JA if they have that diamond, or if they can get it for you.

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do you remember the price? I'll check again in a day or so as it might just be on hold for someone now.

I'm going to start a new search with all the new information you guys have given me. I was too focused on the weight before, rather than the measurements.

https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/radiant-cut/1.02-carat-h-color-vs2-clarity-sku-5304392
So, this is not a typical radiant. First the crown angle is really really low. So, from the side, you have almost no profile. Also, there is a lot of mush (yellow) right in the middle of the table. Its kinds the reverse of where we normally see it. While I love unusual diamonds, this is not really a diamond I would present to someone without knowing their preferences.

upload_2018-7-15_16-50-49.png

upload_2018-7-15_16-49-55.png

This is likely too small, but its very pretty and a more "classic" radiant proportion and performance. See how much material is above the girdle? The facets all turn on and off and you have nice light movement over the whole stone. This is a good visual to shoot for.
https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/radiant-cut/0.83-carat-g-color-if-clarity-sku-5206948; 6.43*4.84*3.24

Comparing the above .83 to the below from BlueNile. There is about a 14% difference in surface area.
https://www.bluenile.com/diamond-de...DiamondDetails&action=newTab&catalogView=true
6.79x5.24x3.59

Size 6.5 finger, 2 mm shank.
upload_2018-7-15_17-0-14.png

Attachments

• upload_2018-7-15_16-50-32.png
    upload_2018-7-15_16-50-32.png
    183.4 KB · Views: 16
  • upload_2018-7-15_16-59-45.png
    upload_2018-7-15_16-59-45.png
    64.4 KB · Views: 16

LetLoveRule

Shiny_Rock
Great educational video about the 'types' of radiants. Both crushed ice and crisp can be quite pretty. We are looking to avoid slush.

These videos are very informative, thanks for sharing. I now understand what you meant earlier with 'slushy' and I'm glad I didn't buy the diamond I initially found interesting. As probably most women do, I'd like a diamond with a lot of sparkle.. :kiss2:

What do you guys think of this one: https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/radiant-cut/1.01-carat-h-color-vvs2-clarity-sku-4991662
Although it is the rectangle size of an emerald cut, I do think it's very nice and doesn't seem 'mushy'.

The jeweller here said to go with a (rectangle) cushion cut diamond rather than radiant as they are easier to find and have more value when you want to sell the diamond. What are your opinions about that?

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
These videos are very informative, thanks for sharing. I now understand what you meant earlier with 'slushy' and I'm glad I didn't buy the diamond I initially found interesting. As probably most women do, I'd like a diamond with a lot of sparkle.. :kiss2:

What do you guys think of this one: https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/radiant-cut/1.01-carat-h-color-vvs2-clarity-sku-4991662
Although it is the rectangle size of an emerald cut, I do think it's very nice and doesn't seem 'mushy'.

The jeweller here said to go with a (rectangle) cushion cut diamond rather than radiant as they are easier to find and have more value when you want to sell the diamond. What are your opinions about that?

I like this one. A lot.
I am biased to rectangular shaped diamonds; my ER center is an EC. As far as your jeweler’s reasoning behind purchasing a rectangle radiant over a more square radiant, I cannot comment whether or not there’s any truth to it. It may be his or her experience, and maybe that is why they are trying to persuade you to invest in a more elongated shape. That’s purely speculation.

LetLoveRule

Shiny_Rock
I like this one. A lot.
I am biased to rectangular shaped diamonds; my ER center is an EC. As far as your jeweler’s reasoning behind purchasing a rectangle radiant over a more square radiant, I cannot comment whether or not there’s any truth to it. It may be his or her experience, and maybe that is why they are trying to persuade you to invest in a more elongated shape. That’s purely speculation.

I think you might have misunderstood me. My jeweller reckons that cushion cut is a better choice than radiant, regardless of the actual shape (rectangle or square). Cushion cut is a lot more popular and easier to find. I think that radiant is more expensive but that might differ per seller.

Can I find a photo of your diamond somewhere?

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think you might have misunderstood me. My jeweller reckons that cushion cut is a better choice than radiant, regardless of the actual shape (rectangle or square). Cushion cut is a lot more popular and easier to find. I think that radiant is more expensive but that might differ per seller.

Can I find a photo of your diamond somewhere?

Here is the thread to my Rectangular Emerald Cut Diamond:

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/meet-uisce.231677/

I love Cushion Cuts. That will also be beautiful!!
We can start looking at those, as well!!! :mrgreen2:

LetLoveRule

Shiny_Rock
Here is the thread to my Rectangular Emerald Cut Diamond:

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/meet-uisce.231677/

I love Cushion Cuts. That will also be beautiful!!
We can start looking at those, as well!!! :mrgreen2:

Oh my! That's gorgeous :) can I just say that I initially thought that your diamond was way bigger than the one from my link and I was happily surprised to read that the size is quite similar!

As I'm not an expert, I'm not too sure what the differences are between cushion cut and radiant (other than the obvious "rounded" sides and the corners) but I feel like a radiant has more "lines" from the centre to the sides whereas a cushion cut is more like the overall "crushed ice"? Do you agree with what my jeweller said about cushion cut being more popular and therefore easier to find/sell?

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh my! That's gorgeous :) can I just say that I initially thought that your diamond was way bigger than the one from my link and I was happily surprised to read that the size is quite similar!

As I'm not an expert, I'm not too sure what the differences are between cushion cut and radiant (other than the obvious "rounded" sides and the corners) but I feel like a radiant has more "lines" from the centre to the sides whereas a cushion cut is more like the overall "crushed ice"? Do you agree with what my jeweller said about cushion cut being more popular and therefore easier to find/sell?

I think cushions are more popular, but I can’t comment on the reason.
Thank you for the wonderful compliments on my “Uisce”!! She has great spread & finger presence!

LetLoveRule

Shiny_Rock
I think cushions are more popular, but I can’t comment on the reason.
Thank you for the wonderful compliments on my “Uisce”!! She has great spread & finger presence!

Do you have a photo of the side view of your engagement ring? Couldn't find a good one in your thread, mostly top view

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not sure if you wanted profile or side, so I gave you both. ;)2

C51BC7B8-B2EB-4827-AE02-8BE5FDACE2A7.jpeg C7BBAFF3-F7A8-40D6-AE20-AF6AF47B588F.jpeg 262FB38A-5663-40A5-91BD-ECAF42CF93A7.jpeg 72AAD902-A377-401C-85C9-3DD6118EC5D3.jpeg E1C5F42C-54A5-464C-9585-6311567CF0D8.jpeg F99CF569-DCA8-4F1E-965D-623C8171959B.jpeg 1A076392-BA32-43BF-9AEB-51D66476A38B.jpeg
Do you have a photo of the side view of your engagement ring? Couldn't find a good one in your thread, mostly top view

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
ECs have long flat facets that turn on and off shooting fewer, but lovely flashes of light. They have a quieter elegance and like asschers are called step-cut. They have different 'flavors' based on the depth of the cut-corners (lots of windmills), and the ratio of length to width. They can be mesmerizing.

Radiants are a brilliant cut (like a round). They have more and fewer facets intended to provide more brilliance. They were introduced to the diamond world in the late 1970s, so are "newer" cut. They retained the straight edges of a step-cut, but borrowed from some of the optics of other cuts to generate more white light return (and fire when well-cut).

Cushions also a brilliant cut. They are the oldest (or one of the oldest) faceted gemstone shapes. Rounds were a perfection of the ability to make a cushion perfectly symmetrical. They have been changed as the ability to cut diamonds also changed. Today, modern cut cushion diamonds come in three common "flavors": very strong facets, crushed ice, or antique. There are wonderfully also still real antiques around called Old Cushion Cuts (OCC) and their predecessor was the Old Mine Cut (OMC). Stong facets are akin to a radiant with rounded edges, crushed ice are more like a bucket of tiny twinkles and fire. Modern antique cuts are a perfection of the performance of an antique. They tend to have strong facets and are deeper to achieve that performance.

Last edited:

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
ECs have long flat facets that turn on and off shooting fewer, but lovely flashes of light. They have a quieter elegance and like asschers are called step-cut. They have different 'flavors' based on the depth of the cut-corners (lots of windmills), and the ration of length to width. They can be mesmerizing.

Radiants are a brilliant cut (like a round). They have more and fewer facets intended to provide more brilliance. They were introduced to the diamond world in the late 1970s, so are "newer" cut. They retained the straight edges of a step-cut, but borrowed from some of the optics of other cuts.

Cushions also a brilliant cut. They are the oldest (or one of the oldest) faceted gemstone shapes. Rounds were a perfection of the ability to make a cushion perfectly symmetrical. They have been changed as the ability to cut diamonds also changed. Today, modern cut cushion diamonds come in three common "flavors": very strong facets, crushed ice, or antique. There are wonderfully also still real antiques around called Old Cushion Cuts (OCC) and their predecessor was the Old Mine Cut (OMC). Stong facets are akin to a radiant with rounded edges, crushed ice are more like a bucket of tiny twinkles and fire. Modern antique cuts are a perfection of the performance of an antique. They tend to have strong facets and are deeper to achieve that performance.

Amen! Yes, to all of the above.

LetLoveRule

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for the explanation, that definitely sounds right. Do you think that cushions good more value than radiants due to popularity?

What do you think of this diamond: https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/radiant-cut/1.01-carat-h-color-vvs2-clarity-sku-4991662

I haven't really looked at cushions but I will research on the weekend.
As I'm not too much in a rush to have the diamond send to my friend who's still in Australia, I don't mind taking my time to find the perfect diamond :)

Last edited:

LetLoveRule

Shiny_Rock

Just wondering what the filters for Depth and Table you added to the search mean? And can I use the same filters for a cushion cut or do I need to use different filters for a different cut?

What is the benefit of:
By clicking this button, a diamond expert can instantly share their screen with you, and walk you through the attributes of this diamond in Super Zoom magnification.

I have requested ASET from JA for https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/radiant-cut/1.01-carat-h-color-vvs2-clarity-sku-4991662, they will email it soon :)

Thanks again for all your help!

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just wondering what the filters for Depth and Table you added to the search mean? And can I use the same filters for a cushion cut or do I need to use different filters for a different cut?

For myself, on any fancy shape, I use Polish & Symetry=Excellent; Lab=GIA or AGS, Flour= -(very strong)

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium

What is the benefit of:
By clicking this button, a diamond expert can instantly share their screen with you, and walk you through the attributes of this diamond in Super Zoom magnification.

I have requested ASET from JA for https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/radiant-cut/1.01-carat-h-color-vvs2-clarity-sku-4991662, they will email it soon :)

Thanks again for all your help!

For myself,
I try to keep a slightly broad, range of color & clarity. With table & depth, I’m a little more strict. Cut, more strict. Polish/symmetry for fancies: VG-ID
No to slight fluorescence, unless we go into J-L territory.
The object of the game is to make sure that you search for a diamond that is not too deep and not too shallow. The complicating factor with fancy cut diamonds is that that is very difficult to gauge, especially whenever the fancy cuts have varying angles, and pavilion facets. Modern round brilliant stones are have stricter guidelines and table and depth percentages then fancy cut diamonds because of their shape. Fancy cuts are too different, and need to be evaluated individually.

Edit: apologies if any of this reads like jibberish, or makes little to no sense; I am just coming home after a long day. I woke for work at 5:30am, and it’s 9:30pm. I’ve been going, non-stop. My brain is fried.

Last edited:

LetLoveRule

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for the explanation, that definitely sounds right. Do you think that cushions good more value than radiants due to popularity?

What do you think of this diamond: https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/radiant-cut/1.01-carat-h-color-vvs2-clarity-sku-4991662

I haven't really looked at cushions but I will research on the weekend.
As I'm not too much in a rush to have the diamond send to my friend who's still in Australia, I don't mind taking my time to find the perfect diamond :)

Sorry, this was meant for @rockysalamander :)

LetLoveRule

Shiny_Rock
Edit: apologies if any of this reads like jibberish, or makes little to no sense; I am just coming home after a long day. I woke for work at 5:30am, and it’s 9:30pm. I’ve been going, non-stop. My brain is fried.

Wow that's dedication right there! Thanks and hope you're doing better after a good sleep :)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results