shape
carat
color
clarity

Buying my first diamond :)

kindred

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
If you don't want a curved wedding band and you don't want the engagement diamond to blend into the wedding band, would you be ok with a gap between the engagement ring and wedding band?

The setting above looks like it has a round diamond in it. Your diamond would extend beyond that one.

Edit - or would 3 pt diamonds result in a large enough shank that the center diamond would not extend beyond it?

Definitely have them put in cleaning holes.

Last edited:

LetLoveRule

Shiny_Rock
If you don't want a curved wedding band and you don't want the engagement diamond to blend into the wedding band, would you be ok with a gap between the engagement ring and wedding band?

The setting above looks like it has a round diamond in it. Your diamond would extend beyond that one.

Edit - or would 3 pt diamonds result in a large enough shank that the center diamond would not extend beyond it?

Definitely have them put in cleaning holes.

I don't mind a gap between the engagement ring and wedding band at all! I actually prefer that over having them sit flush next to each other :D I found a photo with this wedding band that I really like and think could be made to fit to still show my full centre diamond:
Envelop_Single_Twist_Band_C_900x.jpg

Thanks for the advice :D

kindred

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@LetLoveRule, That's a pretty ring. Do you mean that you would get that ring as your engagement ring and then add a wedding band?

LetLoveRule

Shiny_Rock
@LetLoveRule, That's a pretty ring. Do you mean that you would get that ring as your engagement ring and then add a wedding band?

Sorry I meant that this would be my wedding band and the photo that I posted earlier with the cathedral setting will be my engagement ring.

I actually found another (engagement) setting that I like. I might have to come up with a design with features of both settings :D
59_s121660_white_001_1__38048.1521743626.jpg

MustGoFaster

Rough_Rock
Just popping in to say that radiants, like many fancies, don't hide body color well (though better than step-cuts!). In long stones, you can have some color concentration. So, I generally suggest you stick to G/H or above. The exception is if you work with a vendor is is very good with fancies.

I don't see much right now, but you might reach out to DiamondsbyLauren. They are great with radiant and could make the setting you like easily.

Also, don't forgot to compare radiant by size in mm not weight. Cutting patterns vary and they are not consistent like rounds. Sometimes the smaller weight will be larger spread.

If you liked crushed ice (lots of small twikles), the stones posted above are along those lines. Not eyeclean but it shows the effect well. Can be very pretty.
https://www.bluenile.com/diamond-de...DiamondDetails&action=newTab&catalogView=true

This has more of the crisper facets. Its not eyeclean, so just showing the type.
https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/radiant-cut/1.03-carat-e-color-si1-clarity-sku-5099151
https://www.bluenile.com/diamond-de...DiamondDetails&action=newTab&catalogView=true

This is great. Under your weight goal, but nice facets and spread. Needs an ASET, but has nice light play.
https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/radiant-cut/1.02-carat-h-color-if-clarity-sku-4672271
6.85*5.26*3.50
https://www.b2cjewels.com/dd/11620177/Radiant-Diamond-G-Color-IF-Clarity
6.79x5.19x53

This looks great. If the ASET looks decent, these are nice.
6.79x5.24x3.59
6.84*5.35*3.59 {strong blue)
6.79*5.30*3.57,

I would put the ones you like on hold right away. Then, request ASET images (all these vendors should provide).

2nd to diamonds by Lauren. Too bad you aren’t looking for a natural light yellow. This one is a beaut and a lovely elongated shape!
http://www.diamondsbylauren.com/index.php/jewelry/129ct-u-v-vs2-radiant-diamond-r7929

LetLoveRule

Shiny_Rock
I've spoken to the jeweller and they reckon the cleaning holes are not necessary? I'm probably going with a surface prong. Anyone else want to weigh in?

LetLoveRule

Shiny_Rock
I've spoken to the jeweller and they reckon the cleaning holes are not necessary? I'm probably going with a surface prong. Anyone else want to weigh in?

Anyone..?

Update: it's been harder to get started on the design than I hoped as the jeweller that I met last week hasn't gotten back to me since I emailed the design inspiration. I have contacted another jeweller but they won't be able to get back to me until Tuesday so the waiting game continues :cry2:

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would advise against the crisis cross because the separating shanks draw the eyes away from the center stone. AT least it does for me. I second @kindred suggestion of leaving a gap. If the base of the ering is a little bigger it will push out the band so it doesn’t cause the bottom outline of the stone to disappear.

LetLoveRule

Shiny_Rock
I would advise against the crisis cross because the separating shanks draw the eyes away from the center stone. AT least it does for me. I second @kindred suggestion of leaving a gap. If the base of the ering is a little bigger it will push out the band so it doesn’t cause the bottom outline of the stone to disappear.

I agree and have decided to get a sort of criss cross wedding band instead, see photo posted earlier.

What do you mean by "if the base is a little bigger"? Can you show me a photo please?

Also, I'm still deciding between 2 or 3 pointers in the band. The diamond is 653 * 540, so I thought 3 pointers aka 2mm wouldn't be too big but the jeweller seems to think so. The wedding band will probably have 2 pointers.

I'm super frustrated right now because I want to get started but can't find anyone to actually make my rings yet as they're busy :cry2:

Sabrina31

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Thanks for the suggestion, he's actually not far from where I am. Do you have experience with him?
I have gotten a couple quotes from him, he's very responsive and reasonable, I haven't gotten to work with him yet mostly due to my budget constraints. I believe @Acinom has worked with him before

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have gotten a couple quotes from him, he's very responsive and reasonable, I haven't gotten to work with him yet mostly due to my budget constraints. I believe @Acinom has worked with him before

I've worked with him as well, and I'm from the us. I had an amazing experience and 100% recommend him.

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

LetLoveRule

Shiny_Rock
Thanks guys :D @Sabrina31 @lovedogs @Acinom

I feel a lot more confident with a jeweller that comes recommended by PS. Other jewellers have made me feel like I'm 'too much' :cry2: but maybe it's all in my head :confused: or maybe I do belong here and will a jeweller that has worked with other PS-ers before understand me.

I did a search and found amazing rings he's made and have emailed him a couple of hours ago. Hope to hear from him soon :pray:

LetLoveRule

Shiny_Rock
I can also recommend Creation Jewellers Canbarra
https://www.instagram.com/creationsjewellerscanberra/

They have a rather modern aesthetic, but they can do more simple styles. Their workmanship is clean and very good.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BXXNjNIAIcn/?taken-by=creationsjewellerscanberra

upload_2018-8-19_5-16-11.png

Thanks =)2 I will keep them in mind if it doesn't work out with jewellers closer by (I'm really hoping Alistair Kelsey will work out) as Canberra is a couple hours away

Also a MASSIVE thank you for finding my diamond :D :D :D :kiss2:

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks =)2 I will keep them in mind if it doesn't work out with jewellers closer by (I'm really hoping Alistair Kelsey will work out) as Canberra is a couple hours away

Also a MASSIVE thank you for finding my diamond :D :D :D :kiss2:

Happy to help and that you are happy with it. Its nice to help others. We really lucked out with your lovely stone.

Alastair is lovely and he work is great. So, you now have two options between Alastair and Creations (totally blanking on the designer's name...).

LetLoveRule

Shiny_Rock
Happy to help and that you are happy with it. Its nice to help others. We really lucked out with your lovely stone.

Alastair is lovely and he work is great. So, you now have two options between Alastair and Creations (totally blanking on the designer's name...).

Sure was lucky you finding that diamond, I still feel like it's one of a kind :love: greatly appreciate your help!

I'm very curious about their pricing, I've gotten 2 estimates already and I'm waiting for another one but these jewellers are not known here and I don't know if they're quality jewellers like Alistair Kelsey and Creations.

I just can't wait to get started but I guess I'll have to be patient a little bit longer..

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Tell me about it! And it's not even waiting for the good stuff yet (aka waiting for the ring to be made) :nono::cry2:

You’ll get there. I’m certain this will take off, shortly!! Please keep us posted!!
**As for the open spaces behind the diamonds for cleaning purposes...they ARE necessary. Please be certain you integrate them into your designs. Diamonds get dirty & grimy, very quickly. It helps a great deal to be able to maintain your rings, in between professional cleanings. Having that space open will give you access to the underside of the stones to keep them clear, sparkly & beautiful!!**

LetLoveRule

Shiny_Rock
You’ll get there. I’m certain this will take off, shortly!! Please keep us posted!!
**As for the open spaces behind the diamonds for cleaning purposes...they ARE necessary. Please be certain you integrate them into your designs. Diamonds get dirty & grimy, very quickly. It helps a great deal to be able to maintain your rings, in between professional cleanings. Having that space open will give you access to the underside of the stones to keep them clear, sparkly & beautiful!!**

Thanks for your input :D what do you think: 2 or 3 pointers in the shank? I like the surface prong.

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for your input :D what do you think: 2 or 3 pointers in the shank? I like the surface prong.

Well, honey...
I’m all about “go big or go home”...lol!!
As long as 3 pointers don’t overwhelm the center, by causing the shank to be too wide, I’d go with 3 pointers.
You don’t want the band/shank to make the Radiant look smaller than it is. It should be the star!! Even a reverse tapered shank would be lovely, and create that “space” between your ER & WR. You can start at 1-2pointers, and graduate to 3pointers as you move away from the center, creating a beautiful curve & highlighting the Radiant.
Like this:
50EF9D0F-D0E9-4D98-BF88-160DC885DE5E.jpeg

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like the 3 pointers, but I also like larger settings. My wedding band is nearly 5 mm and my ering is around 4 or a bit more. I have the real estate for it.

When you say you want the side stones prong set, can you explain this a bit more? Do you mean you want them pave-set (https://www.victorcanera.com/rings/pave-four-prong-solitaire) or truly prong-set (https://www.jamesallen.com/engageme...-prong-set-diamond-engagement-ring-item-53308).

For pave, you 100% need cleaning holes (as large as structurally possible, read @sledge thread for his FI ring. Lots of good discussion there). For pave, the stones are recessed into the shank. The bottoms must be accessible for cleaning. For prong-set, you don't need the holes. The stones are fully above the shank and you can get to the bottom without holes.

LetLoveRule

Shiny_Rock
@Matthews1127 @rockysalamander

My diamond is 653 * 540. I personally don't think that a 2mm wide band will be too big but it's hard to visualise. I'm not sure if I like the reverse tapered band, I'd have to see it on my hand to get a better idea.

This is what I have in mind, a surface prong. The jeweller said that the cleaning holes are not necessary but I don't know how to get to the bottom of the diamonds without?

20180820_073315.jpg 20180820_073515.jpg

LetLoveRule

Shiny_Rock
I really am unlucky with my timing :cry2::cry2::cry2: Alistair emailed that he'll be overseas from the end of this week until 19 September but would love to make both rings

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results