shape
carat
color
clarity

Buying Moissanite from Tianyu Gems

swaye2010

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you very much for your feedback. Part of the reason I felt comfortable with them doing the band was they sent me a video (Attached screenshot) that was similar to the style I was was looking for. It seemed to look nice in the video. I would like to at least see how the CAD comes out before committing of course. Also my fiancee is is very cost conscious, she'd probably kill me if I spent more on the setting. But again, we'll see what the CAD looks like.

upload_2019-3-5_0-9-36.png upload_2019-3-5_0-10-17.png
I think if cost is a driving factor, then I would definitely let them complete the CAD for you so you can see how you feel about it. I think they will be able to get you the general shape as long as you can verify the measurements around the shank to make sure that nothing ends up being too wide. I am not sure if you planned on having them make the band, but I think it would be smart to get the two designed together or you might have a problem with fit since they almost have to interlock into place. The other problem is just about the marquise/sapphire moissanite stones in general. Mined stones are really the only other option for this type of design unless you went to rounds for a better color match and sparkle effect like the picture you linked already from them.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
F3261F98-295B-4A25-9FC8-49B8E0CFF4C7.jpeg
Well...I just got a video and photos from Ella for my OEC ring. At first glance I thought the arms holding the moissy were too thick but after seeing the video I think they’re okay. I’m upset because it looks like they put a hearts and arrows in instead of an OEC. I had to tell her that it doesn’t look like an OEC..I went back to look at the stone she sent me a video of and it was an OEC. They made a boo boo and put the wrong stone in..arg..So now I’m waiting for her to get back to me after writing her three emails because I was upset..until I figured out they made a mistake by putting the hearts and arrows in the setting...

sd_flp

Brilliant_Rock
F3261F98-295B-4A25-9FC8-49B8E0CFF4C7.jpeg
Well...I just got a video and photos from Ella for my OEC ring. At first glance I thought the arms holding the moissy were too thick but after seeing the video I think they’re okay. I’m upset because it looks like they put a hearts and arrows in instead of an OEC. I had to tell her that it doesn’t look like an OEC..I went back to look at the stone she sent me a video of and it was an OEC. They made a boo boo and put the wrong stone in..arg..So now I’m waiting for her to get back to me after writing her three emails because I was upset..until I figured out they made a mistake by putting the hearts and arrows in the setting...
Yeah, they totally goofed on this one. I am surprised they even made this mistake! I’ve never seen them mess up on the center stone before!!!

I’m sorry. I would be livid. Didn’t they also double charge you with shipping??? I think at this point you should try and ask them to ship your earrings while they redo your ring. No point waiting anymore.

sd_flp

Brilliant_Rock
Btw, has anyone made a special order with their loose stones? After seeing another PSer’s H&A (with thick arrows) on the August Vintage thread, I’m a little disappointed that Tianyu hasn’t adopted doing thick arrows at this point. She got that stone months ago. At first I thought Tianyu didn’t have the precision, but it looks like it can be done. They’re just not doing it for whatever reason.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yeah, they totally goofed on this one. I am surprised they even made this mistake! I’ve never seen them mess up on the center stone before!!!

I’m sorry. I would be livid. Didn’t they also double charge you with shipping??? I think at this point you should try and ask them to ship your earrings while they redo your ring. No point waiting anymore.
No she didn’t double charge me for shipping. I asked her and she said I only paid for shipping on the earrings so she was just going to ship them together.
I am upset about the mistake with the stone mainly because they will have to open the prongs to switch it out...sigh..She didn’t get back to me yet because of the time difference.
We are going out of town this Thursday so she was going to ship it out on the 11th because I won’t be home. She was very nice about it. I’m sure she’s not the one setting it..Someone else made the mistake...but I think she should have noticed it wasn’t an OEC.

sd_flp

Brilliant_Rock
No she didn’t double charge me for shipping. I asked her and she said I only paid for shipping on the earrings so she was just going to ship them together.
I am upset about the mistake with the stone mainly because they will have to open the prongs to switch it out...sigh..She didn’t get back to me yet because of the time difference.
We are going out of town this Thursday so she was going to ship it out on the 11th because I won’t be home. She was very nice about it. I’m sure she’s not the one setting it..Someone else made the mistake...but I think she should have noticed it wasn’t an OEC.
Oh ok, got it. I thought they charged you separately for the earrings and ring. At least that part is fine. Overall it’s still disappointing that they have to switch the center stone out.

I do think that Ella and whoever else we talk to are sales people. I think they pick out stones and set up the CADs but that’s it. Everything else (labor wise) is cut and set by other staff. However, you’re right, wouldn’t she know that wasn’t an OEC? When I ordered from Mona, someone cut two OECs for me by mistake, but she caught it and let me know.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh ok, got it. I thought they charged you separately for the earrings and ring. At least that part is fine. Overall it’s still disappointing that they have to switch the center stone out.

I do think that Ella and whoever else we talk to are sales people. I think they pick out stones and set up the CADs but that’s it. Everything else (labor wise) is cut and set by other staff. However, you’re right, wouldn’t she know that wasn’t an OEC? When I ordered from Mona, someone cut two OECs for me by mistake, but she caught it and let me know.
I sometimes feel that if someone is going to make a rare mistake it will be for whatever I order. I had problems with GoldenBird and Diamondrensu too..I think I will order stones without settings from now on. This way I can catch a mistake early. I’m having a pity party! :lol:

sd_flp

Brilliant_Rock
I sometimes feel that if someone is going to make a rare mistake it will be for whatever I order. I had problems with GoldenBird and Diamondrensu too..I think I will order stones without settings from now on. This way I can catch a mistake early. I’m having a pity party! :lol:
That’s ok! Complain away! :D

Argh, now I’m paranoid about having an OEC ring made through a Chinese vendor. I was going to do Starsgem or Mona but after reading your snafu and someone else’s in the Provence thread. I may just end up buying a AV OEC and have it set locally.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
That’s ok! Complain away! :D

Argh, now I’m paranoid about having an OEC ring made through a Chinese vendor. I was going to do Starsgem or Mona but after reading your snafu and someone else’s in the Provence thread. I may just end up buying a AV OEC and have it set locally.
Wow! Ella just emailed me that she read all my emails..she was sorry..and will check when she gets to the office in the morning and have it replaced with my OEC! Considering it was after 10 in the evening there..I’m impressed!

sd_flp

Brilliant_Rock
Wow! Ella just emailed me that she read all my emails..she was sorry..and will check when she gets to the office in the morning and have it replaced with my OEC! Considering it was after 10 in the evening there..I’m impressed!
Oh, that's great!!! Glad to hear this; you should post a photo of your updated ring!!! :love:

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh, that's great!!! Glad to hear this; you should post a photo of your updated ring!!! :love:
I will! People make mistakes..It’s how it’s handled is everything..She gave me the feeling in her email that she would take care of it..I’m relieved!

sd_flp

Brilliant_Rock
I will! People make mistakes..It’s how it’s handled is everything..She gave me the feeling in her email that she would take care of it..I’m relieved!
Mamabean, you're a class act. We should all practice being nice and patient! =)2

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
Mamabean, you're a class act. We should all practice being nice and patient! =)2
Thank you @sd_flp! It was so nice of you to say..but I try hard to be patient! :lol-2:

FutureChocolateMLK

Brilliant_Rock
Has anyone gotten a H&A lower than GH from Tianyu? And does anyone have the pic they send to compare color? I had it but I think I deleted it on accident.

JPie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Mamabean I'm glad you got a good response about the mix-up! I completely agree that mistakes happen, and it's how they're handled that counts. Hope you get your ring and earrings soon!

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
@Mamabean I'm glad you got a good response about the mix-up! I completely agree that mistakes happen, and it's how they're handled that counts. Hope you get your ring and earrings soon!
Thanks @JPie! I’ll be anxious to see the stone in the ring!
I know you had a mix up with your metals with David too..Your ring came out so lovely!

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi there,
My band is a diamond anniversary ring from my husband and not from Tianyu. Only the solitaire engagement ring is from Tianyu.
Absolutely gorgeous! I can’t wait to get mine!:appl:

Tampa_Wildcat

Rough_Rock
Hello everyone, I got the CAD back and it is attached below. Please let me know if you see anything that I might be missing. I'm asking them to make sure that the ring fits together with the band nicely. WhatsApp Image 2019-03-07 at 9.46.53 PM.jpeg

This_is_real_life

Rough_Rock
Hello all! I'm new to PS, so forgive me if I don't know the lingo. I'm thinking of ordering a large solitaire from Tianyu, perhaps a 11x9 or 12x10 OMC cushion. I worry about the cut and color. Has anyone had experience with a stone this size. I was thinking of rose gold or perhaps white gold, if the stone would be white enough. Any input would be helpful. Thanks!

baileydare16

Shiny_Rock
Hello all! I'm new to PS, so forgive me if I don't know the lingo. I'm thinking of ordering a large solitaire from Tianyu, perhaps a 11x9 or 12x10 OMC cushion. I worry about the cut and color. Has anyone had experience with a stone this size. I was thinking of rose gold or perhaps white gold, if the stone would be white enough. Any input would be helpful. Thanks!
a lot of people have ordered the elongated antique cut stones from Starsgem and absolutely love them. They seem to face up pretty white in a GH color but I’m not sure about tianyu’s

swaye2010

Brilliant_Rock
I have an 11x9 and an 11x10 from Starsgem in G/H color. They do face up pretty white and I would not recommend getting an icy white color in an antique cut. Only 2 people that I have seen have ordered this cut through Tianyu. The Tianyu cut looks more like an elongated version of their square ACC vs the Starsgem version, which has a long, thin culet. It depends on what style you prefer. I think you can see the Tianyu version on the earlier pages of this thread and also the Starsgem one on the first page of that thread.

swaye2010

Brilliant_Rock
Hello everyone, I got the CAD back and it is attached below. Please let me know if you see anything that I might be missing. I'm asking them to make sure that the ring fits together with the band nicely. WhatsApp Image 2019-03-07 at 9.46.53 PM.jpeg
They look like they will sit together except for the side by side view. The band looks like it is lining up with the prongs/head and you don’t want them grinding on each other. There are a lot of curved lines so hopefully they have figured that out. I would bump the bottom thickness up to 1.6 mm to keep it from warping over time. Thickness at 1.3 mm is a little too thin.

mousemouse

Rough_Rock
IMG_7828.JPG I finally got a reply from Emily, with photos of my ring and a video. She said she was at the Hong Kong jewelry fair, hence the slow communication. Anyhow, the pictures she sent are pretty bad (ie. not in good focus) but the video looks nice. I'm excited to see it in person, hopefully soon!

This_is_real_life

Rough_Rock
I have an 11x9 and an 11x10 from Starsgem in G/H color. They do face up pretty white and I would not recommend getting an icy white color in an antique cut. Only 2 people that I have seen have ordered this cut through Tianyu. The Tianyu cut looks more like an elongated version of their square ACC vs the Starsgem version, which has a long, thin culet. It depends on what style you prefer. I think you can see the Tianyu version on the earlier pages of this thread and also the Starsgem one on the first page of that thread.

Can I ask why I shouldn't get an icy white color?

This_is_real_life

Rough_Rock
I think you should if that's what you like! A lot of people seem to prefer a hint of color to antique cuts.

I think I'm just afraid of it looking too yellow. Larger stones show more color, from what I've heard.

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a gh from starsgem in a jubilee cut and i definitely see the color. It doesn't look yellow though, more like vanilla. I wonder if starsgem has a side by side video so you can get a better sense before deciding. For the original idea i had for this particular stone i was wishing I'd gone colorless and now not sure what i will do with it.....

swaye2010

Brilliant_Rock
Can I ask why I shouldn't get an icy white color?
The modern & fancy cuts are better in colorless than the antique cuts although I still prefer near colorless in most. The antique cuts look a bit unnatural in the icy/blue white but if that is what you like. This is my 11x10 antique cushion which looks completely white. No obvious body color like I did see a bit in the oval and emerald cut.

991232E2-F2E0-43B7-9171-612EED6AB433.jpeg

Attachments

• 10A98A60-8633-4396-9342-9E1D9EA59D8A.jpeg
    10A98A60-8633-4396-9342-9E1D9EA59D8A.jpeg
    164.6 KB · Views: 16

This_is_real_life

Rough_Rock
The modern & fancy cuts are better in colorless than the antique cuts although I still prefer near colorless in most. The antique cuts look a bit unnatural in the icy/blue white but if that is what you like. This is my 11x10 antique cushion which looks completely white. No obvious body color like I did see a bit in the oval and emerald cut.

991232E2-F2E0-43B7-9171-612EED6AB433.jpeg

That is GORGEOUS. Where did you get it?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results