shape
carat
color
clarity

Buying Moissanite from Tianyu Gems

llc328

Rough_Rock
I wonder if anyone has requested the "fat edge" hearts and arrows cut from Tianyu? Just curious, since these look like they have more prominent arrows than their "normal" H&A cut, which it sounds like some of you have found too "splintery".

https://tygems.en.alibaba.com/produ...pm=a2700.icbuShop.prewdfa4cf.1.6e5e49ec4RHWWr

This cut looks similar to the Ultra Amora gem .. I have one that I love .. It has a thicker girdle
and also thicker hearts and arrows .. The cut that betterthandiamond did away with that many loved, as it looks similar to a transitional diamond cut .. I'd personally love to see that fat edge hearts and arrows... Even in their video the arrows look chunky like my ultra Amora gem ...

FutureChocolateMLK

Brilliant_Rock

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do it!!!! :pray:

So the ordering process terrifies me. I don't know how to go about getting a quote? Does anybody feel like reaching out and asking what a 10 mm stone in a simple 8 prong 14k solitaire costs? Then I'll order! :lol:

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So the ordering process terrifies me. I don't know how to go about getting a quote? Does anybody feel like reaching out and asking what a 10 mm stone in a simple 8 prong 14k solitaire costs? Then I'll order! :lol:
I haven't ordered by the alibaba website. Both orders have been through email and the SA sent me a Paypal invoice.

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's quite simple really. Send a photo with the exact ring style (in your case, solitaire) that you want and ask "How much would this cost in 14K Yellow/White/Rose gold with a 10mm round (cut style) in a size (your size)..."

They tell you the price. If you like the price, ask for PayPal invoice. Pay invoice, you get updates along the way and then when the ring is done, they ship it to you.

Sometimes, I have a harder time ordering lunch at Chipotle. :razz:

I have to mention a discount, right? I'll read back over the posts when I get home later:) Thanks!

FutureChocolateMLK

Brilliant_Rock

Like PPs have said, just shoot them a basic email with pics of EXACTLY what you want and they’ll give you a price. Once you confirm, they’ll submit a PayPal invoice and you pay and they start the CADs. Easy as pie! I’d never navigate the alibaba website either. Way too confusing for my feeble brain. Haha!

I haven’t gotten anything from them yet, so others can help you more than me but I have gotten quotes and plan on ordering 3 loose H&As in the very near future. :mrgreen2:

Taurus2313

Brilliant_Rock
I haven't read all 17 pages but based on my experience I second the comments about middling workmanship and lackluster cut of at least the OEC stones.
I've ordered one thing from Tianyu and it also resulted in overall disappointment. I'm considering placing another order though, because the price was unbeatable for custom. If I do I'll stay simple with a prong-set solitaire. I won't include any challenging features like: milgrain, sharp angles/symmetry, dainty or thin elements, anything that requires a high level of precision and fidelity to design.
That's not Tianyu's fault, and we should all be aware that we're not going to get [popular vendor's] level of craftsmanship at those rock bottom prices.

Price
I was quoted ~$365 for a 14k rose gold size 4 bezel-set ring with a 7.5mm GH OEC moissanite. Shipping via DHL express was another $38 or so. I paid via alibaba's paypal integration.

Communication
A mixed bag. Ella's speed to reply was amazingly quick, and I was communicating via gmail not wechat. However, I also felt rushed to provide approval at each critical step where I asked to pause and confirm details or correct/make changes.
Just one example: I was shown CADs, and being unfamiliar with the custom order process I asked whether the bezel could be made thinner per the inspiration. Ella replied promptly with basically- CADs and the finished ring will look different, but not to worry things will look exactly right once produced. (spoilers: things did not). I should've gone with my gut and pushed further to get what I knew I wanted, lesson learned.

Material Quality
No complaints here. The ring itself is nice and hefty, as I stated was my preference. I couldn't detect any color in the GH moissanite :)

Craftsmanship
I'm just going to do a rundown of the things that I took issue with.
The setting
  • Milgrain is bigger and clumsier than I asked for. It looks fine from the distance most people view another person's ring, but I like to really get up close and examine all the details.
  • Stone started rattling in the bezel the day I received the ring. It's still secure but not tightly secured.
  • There are a few tiny crater-like indentations on the shank that I assume was due to a not highly quality-controlled casting process (air in the metal?)
The stone
  • My biggest gripe is the dead spot in the table facet. Viewed straight-on in LED lighting which is what's in my house and my office, the center seems to suck all the light in and not reflect any of it back. I sent several photos and video clips demonstrating this. Ella insisted that it was not a manufacturing defect and "just the angle". I took this to mean that it's their standard stock OEC cut, so potential buyers beware.
  • The faceting pattern overall didn't wow me either. 7.5mm is big enough to be able to pick out the petals in an OEC and Tianyu's weren't very distinct or crisp. Instead of thinking "ooh, how pretty" (which is what attracted me to OECs in the first place) my reaction was more like, "eh, it's white and sparklyish."
  • The cut is nice and precise! All the meets that I could see on the crown were spot-on. I don't know whether Tianyu is using machines or humans to cut these but they did a great job.

In the end I was offered two options. Ship the ring back and switch the stone out, or a 15% partial refund on the stone itself which would've amounted to ~$17. After sitting on it for a couple of days, I decided to keep the ring and not take either concession. I got desensitized to the dead spot and overall it was a nice enough everyday piece for an unmarried woman in her late 20s. I also didn't want to come off as "nickle and diming" them in case I wanted to do another project in the future.

Hope this helps one of you decide whether or not to engage with Tianyu, and if you do how to navigate the ordering process to arrive at a happy result :D

Pics
IMG_1178.jpg
Dead spot

IMG_1147.jpg
A particularly bad shot of the light-sucking black hole

IMG_1425.JPG
The clearest, most flattering pic I could take. You can see that the faceting pattern is... indistinct, for lack of a better word.

:geek2:This has to be the MOST Comprehensive and Detailed review that I have ever seen! ;)2 Thanks for sharing this information with us and keep us posted if you decide to order again. Chances are you will be more pleased with a different cut!

dtnyc

Brilliant_Rock
This is from Tianyu. All the Starsgem rings are being put on a different thread.
Thanks- I asked because the IG profile you linked goes to what looks like a different company page.

swaye2010

Brilliant_Rock
Each salesperson seems to have their own IG account. Maybe to show customers. I will upload the video they sent me later today.

swaye2010

Brilliant_Rock
that is exactly what I want!!! Can you share price or is that frowned upon?
I saw your post yesterday and was waiting for the pic’s so you could see. It was $660 and around $700 with shipping and Alibaba fee. They always say prices are subject to change because of fluctuations in gold prices but this gives you an idea.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That's lovely @swaye2010 !!! I love the prominent (but not too dark) arrows. The cut looks great, and the "donut" is well done. The entire ring is amazing and I hope you love it even more in person!

swaye2010

Brilliant_Rock
I am adding my other project just for some inspiration. I bought the loose moissanite stones but I am having the actual ring made from a different company. These are G/H Emerald cut size 11x9 with tapered baguettes in vintage platinum setting with matching band.

Taurus2313

Brilliant_Rock
@swaye2010 :love: I am so excited for you! That ring is SMOKIN' HOT!!:-o I love:kiss2: the basket! We can't wait for the obligatory hand shots when you receive it!!:mrgreen2:

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I saw your post yesterday and was waiting for the pic’s so you could see. It was $660 and around $700 with shipping and Alibaba fee. They always say prices are subject to change because of fluctuations in gold prices but this gives you an idea.

I love it! Can't wait to see hand shots!

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
1FDB583C-E9B3-4189-90EF-89EC16F2543F.jpeg
Got my updated CAD! I’m pretty sure I got all the changes but if anyone sees anything important I missed, please let me know :D
I love the way the band fits now. Looks so much better.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results