shape
carat
color
clarity

Buying Moissanite from Tianyu Gems

anangel

Brilliant_Rock
Can you tell me more about the first ring that Tianyu made? It’s beautiful.
Not sure what info you’re looking for, but here is the cad. The center is their antique cushion- I love how chunky it is! My only big compliant about the ring is the milgrain isn’t as fine as I would have liked. But nevertheless, I think it’s a lovely piece and it was very reasonable for a custom item.
585AB642-5B58-4489-B7F6-E728992F7EFB.jpeg

eapj

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Not sure what info you’re looking for, but here is the cad. The center is their antique cushion- I love how chunky it is! My only big compliant about the ring is the milgrain isn’t as fine as I would have liked. But nevertheless, I think it’s a lovely piece and it was very reasonable for a custom item.
585AB642-5B58-4489-B7F6-E728992F7EFB.jpeg
Thanks @anangel. It’s a beautiful classic yet bold look. I can see how the milfrain might be a little less delicate than desires but it’s still so pretty.

I’m waiting on a round OEC to replace a round in a ring I already have but I love that cushion! I hope to add one to my collection. Thanks for the details!

swaye2010

Brilliant_Rock
I agree— and the pressure for a custom piece to be perfect with you are spending thousands stresses me out! I guess I’m mostly worried that these settings (I’m sure) are usually built around the diamond and Ella and team would just have the measurements.

I think trying your diamond out in a halo might be a good idea to see if you like it. I don’t think you will get the same cohesiveness that you would get if your halo was built around your stone at the same time. Halo’s are tricky if you don’t like that airline.....anyways your question reminded me of a halo from Tianyu that someone posted on Reddit. There have been just a few halo’s bought so far but they have been a little less traditional. You can look at this person’s halo and she included some pictures as well from her Tianyu purchase.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Moissanite...g_set_through_tianyu/?st=JLLNA4A0&sh=d00830f6

jen2mc

Shiny_Rock
I think trying your diamond out in a halo might be a good idea to see if you like it. I don’t think you will get the same cohesiveness that you would get if your halo was built around your stone at the same time. Halo’s are tricky if you don’t like that airline.....anyways your question reminded me of a halo from Tianyu that someone posted on Reddit. There have been just a few halo’s bought so far but they have been a little less traditional. You can look at this person’s halo and she included some pictures as well from her Tianyu purchase.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Moissanite...g_set_through_tianyu/?st=JLLNA4A0&sh=d00830f6

Thank you for the link! I’ll spend some time looking through it. By airline— does that mean the gap between stone and halo?

swaye2010

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you for the link! I’ll spend some time looking through it. By airline— does that mean the gap between stone and halo?
Yep...I was talking about the gap. It probably doesn’t matter so much if this isn’t a permanent setting but it is always nice to get it as tight as possible.

I started with a solitaire as well and changed it a few years ago into a halo. The first setting I had custom made was a cushion halo around a RB and the gaps drove me crazy so I had in redone in a round halo to avoid that airline.

jen2mc

Shiny_Rock
Yep...I was talking about the gap. It probably doesn’t matter so much if this isn’t a permanent setting but it is always nice to get it as tight as possible.

I started with a solitaire as well and changed it a few years ago into a halo. The first setting I had custom made was a cushion halo around a RB and the gaps drove me crazy so I had in redone in a round halo to avoid that airline.

Interesting! Do you have any pictures of the gaps that drove you crazy? Did you miss the solitaire at all?

swaye2010

Brilliant_Rock
Here are the vendor pic’s from my first attempt. This was back in 2015 and the first time making an online purchase. You can see the gaps in the corner because the stone sits flush with the halo and dirt was collecting there. I learned a lot since then and am more happy with the round halo on the 2 carat RB. I lifted the stone slightly so the halo could tuck under the stone and now I have no gaps.

I do like halo’s but they are a much more ’’blingy’ look. The 4 moissanite rings I have bought have all been 3 stone or solitaires. Sometimes it is nice to have a simple ring depending on the circumstance but my round halo is very oversized. It may not apply in your situation.....

3F4BDA62-5634-4894-B62E-B7BB46E21642.jpeg

jen2mc

Shiny_Rock
@swaye2010 lovely! But I do see the gaps and can imagine it driving you crazy if they were collecting dirt! Side question— have you had a stone and a setting that you had a jeweler (who didn’t sell you either) set? Trying to figure out costs for this service and where to find someone reputable.

swaye2010

Brilliant_Rock
@swaye2010 lovely! But I do see the gaps and can imagine it driving you crazy if they were collecting dirt! Side question— have you had a stone and a setting that you had a jeweler (who didn’t sell you either) set? Trying to figure out costs for this service and where to find someone reputable.
I have always had my stone and setting made together....even from Tianyu & Starsgem. I don’t like seeing that gap so I have never bought an unfinished setting. It is quite easy to set a solitaire after the fact but a halo does get a bit more tricky. I think if they use your exact measurements, it won’t be too bad compared to buying a setting that offers a size range for that center stone.

Other’s have had stones set after the fact. It is typically around $100 to $150 for a jeweler to do that and not that difficult.

jen2mc

Shiny_Rock
I have always had my stone and setting made together....even from Tianyu & Starsgem. I don’t like seeing that gap so I have never bought an unfinished setting. It is quite easy to set a solitaire after the fact but a halo does get a bit more tricky. I think if they use your exact measurements, it won’t be too bad compared to buying a setting that offers a size range for that center stone.

Other’s have had stones set after the fact. It is typically around $100 to $150 for a jeweler to do that and not that difficult.

Awesome! Just got a quote from a recommend jeweler for $50. I wonder if the airline gap as to do with the way the setting is made or how the stone is set. Maybe both!

swaye2010

Brilliant_Rock
Awesome! Just got a quote from a recommend jeweler for $50. I wonder if the airline gap as to do with the way the setting is made or how the stone is set. Maybe both!
I think both...if you can give exact measurements to Tianyu for your halo that will help greatly. I do think there are two ways I see halo’s set. One is a flush setting and the other one is a stone set higher and the halo tucked under. It is really about personal preference but I prefer the 2nd way now having seen both. I think when they are set flush to the halo, you will definitely get more dirt in the corners. If you send pictures with multiple views, they will be able to make what you want.

swaye2010

Brilliant_Rock
I was just thinking that if you had the exact measurements of your round stone, you could have Tianyu cut one you. They could make the halo around the stone so it is a tight fit. If you love the look, you can switch it around with your diamond or just keep it as an alternate ring. I am not sure was size your stone is but if you are in the 2 carat range for a round, you are probably under $200 for that. I only suggest this because your solitaire looks so lovely. You could also do it with one of their fancy moissanite colors like champagne or aqua. Just a thought....

jen2mc

Shiny_Rock
I was just thinking that if you had the exact measurements of your round stone, you could have Tianyu cut one you. They could make the halo around the stone so it is a tight fit. If you love the look, you can switch it around with your diamond or just keep it as an alternate ring. I am not sure was size your stone is but if you are in the 2 carat range for a round, you are probably under $200 for that. I only suggest this because your solitaire looks so lovely. You could also do it with one of their fancy moissanite colors like champagne or aqua. Just a thought....

Thanks a really good idea! The prongs are damaged on my solitaire from the shared prong band rubbing against it for the last 9 years. Should have got a spacer. Oops! I either need to get it repaired or reset it.

toyopl

Rough_Rock
Hello, could use a little pointer here, trying to get a set of studs for my wife.
I asked for H&A, Colorless D-E, 1.2cttw, Round, 3 prong setting, 14k white gold.
Emily got back to me with a quote of $430 shipped, does this seem a bit high for you ?

Last edited:

swaye2010

Brilliant_Rock
Hello, could use a little pointer here, trying to get a set of studs for my wife.
I asked for H&A, Colorless D-E, 1.2cttw, Round, 3 prong setting, 14k white gold.
Emily got back to me with a quote of $430 shipped, does this seem a bit high for you ?
That seems about right with all the fee’s and shipping. There is a considerable price jump if you go to those D/E stones. Most of us have been ordering F or G/H stones which are still pretty white....just not icy white. If you go down a bit on color you will be on the bottom side of $400 but it really is about preference. I would also suggest speaking in mm instead of carat weight for accurate pricing.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I couldn't watch the video--it gave me a link error. The pics are great--what do you think about it?

Taurus2313

Brilliant_Rock
My solitaire from Tianyu arrived this evening. I managed to get a few pic’s before it got dark. This is a 10mm center in a knife edge with G/H stone from Tianyu:

32D90EA5-3B6F-42CE-85A0-2FF53CE12ECB.jpeg 91ECDE50-9851-4562-B7BA-685393374A88.jpeg 3BE10F9A-278B-4CB3-8C25-3D04E74950A0.jpeg 0CF35E7E-F730-4A0B-8E4D-3360A3B8B27C.jpeg 51B4BB4D-C735-41E6-98AB-E034FC3E2BD4.jpeg
Video:
https://vimeo.com/user85749469/review/288271307/e437c3a565

Oh Swaye, She's a Beauty just like I knew she would be!:kiss2: I am anxious to also find out your impressions of her since it is a H&A.. Does she sparkle like crazy? She should.. Wait till you take her outside in the sun!!:dance:

Taurus2313

Brilliant_Rock
I couldn't watch the video--it gave me a link error. The pics are great--what do you think about it?

:(2Me Too!! I wanted to see..

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for re-posting the video, @swaye2010 ! I really like the look of the cut. What do you think in person?

swaye2010

Brilliant_Rock
I did it as an embed so it should work now. The stone is very sparkly in kitchen lighting. I need to have some daylight hours to see how she performs in daytime. I went for a thinner band than I normally get and I wish I had stayed at the 1.8 thickness instead of going down to 1.6 mm. I like that is is really comfortable but I think there has to be some weight to the bottom side of a ring when you have a large stone or it gets top heavy.

I am not the best judge of modern cuts because my round is a diamond and all the other moissy’s I have are antique cuts. I asked for strong arrows and that’s what I seem to have. It does appear to show some darkness in the center in pic’s but I am not really seeing too much of that IRL. I don’t know if this is due to the size of the stone or the size of the culet?. I made this setting a bit ‘squat’ so it sits low. I was thinking of getting a 5 stone band to go with it. The French cut band feels the most comfortable that I have right now but it is white gold palladium and not platinum. I always say ‘for the price’ you can’t go wrong with something like a solitaire so it will be fun to wear it different ways. I do think that it has more sparkle than some of the antique cuts I have and probably comparable to an elongated antique cushion cut because they reflect like a bunch of tiny mirrors so I see a lot of spotlight sparkle there too.

Taurus2313

Brilliant_Rock
@swaye2010 thanks for the video!;)2 My honest opinion of your stone is that it is simply amazing! There is really good definition on the arrows and that is what you want. The culet is a normal size to me. In my Avatar (which is not the best pic) I have a 9mm Forever One GHI Hearts and Arrows cut. I absolutely love it. It could be my lighting but yours does look whiter than mine. Your pics look really good and whatever you are using takes good photos!

I have a hard time finding the right light to take good photos of Moissanite or Diamonds that make it look like they do IRL. I just use my LG V20 to take pics and it does an okay job but nothing fantastic. I am not sure what you are using to take photos but it does a great job!:dance:

toyopl

Rough_Rock
What shipping method did they use for Us/Canada shipping ?
Usually all my dhl shipments get taxed, and ems gets delivered to mailbox without any tax/duty.

swaye2010

Brilliant_Rock
What shipping method did they use for Us/Canada shipping ?
Usually all my dhl shipments get taxed, and ems gets delivered to mailbox without any tax/duty.

They usually use speedpak which gets from China to the US in about 3 business days. If you are in Canada, you might have to pay customs/duty. I know there is another person that had to do that. They usually mark it as custom jewelry/CZ so that the custom taxes aren’t very high. Like in the $40-$60 range. I have never had to pay anything extra with delivery to the US.

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gorgeous ring swaye!
Pics are in of mine. I am on my phone and can't really see the detail yet. Ella sent a video too and I will try to get it loaded. ring 1.jpg ring.jpg

Last edited:

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I really like it, @redwood66 ! I like how the X prongs "wrap around" to the sides.

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you @lovedogs! I think I will like it and am excited to get it.

It must be my day for email pics. Just got these from David of the special step cut in my ACC's platinum solitaire setting.

DKJPV_0829_DBLCLAW-1.jpg DKJPV_0829_DBLCLAW-2.jpg DKJPV_0829_DBLCLAW-3.jpg DKJPV_0829_DBLCLAW-4.jpg

jen2mc

Shiny_Rock
Inspiration pictures 9324D00E-C3C6-4BDF-BD2D-3B7190B13D71.jpeg EB76F273-DC66-444A-82FB-6D46334B3271.jpeg 7B3B4944-F591-4981-8E97-359362AF53A6.jpeg C9AD87C4-503A-43B0-B2B3-8356E3371FCA.png Wow they are fast! Does anyone have feedback about this CAD? I’ve never done this before so not quite sure what to look for. I’ve also attached the inspiration pictures. Do you think maybe the stone needs to sit a bit lower?

I should add, I have my own stone that I’m going to have set— so the stone in the CAD is just for perspective but I’d the the ability for it to be set lower.

Last edited:
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results