shape
carat
color
clarity

Buying Moissanite from Tianyu Gems

SporkingQueen

Rough_Rock
Yes, I agree the stone should sit lower. I think the cad's halo is too wide and more square than the original. In addition, I think more metal will show in the halo than the inspiration pic. BTW, I adore your inspiration photo

Usually cads take a few rounds of tweaking to get it right.

jen2mc

Shiny_Rock
Yes, I agree the stone should sit lower. I think the cad's halo is too wide and more square than the original. In addition, I think more metal will show in the halo than the inspiration pic. BTW, I adore your inspiration photo

Usually cads take a few rounds of tweaking to get it right.

Thank you so much for your feedback! I love the inspiration picture, too! I need to manage my expectations that this will not look exactly the same— but at least we can try to get as close as we can! So I’m trying to phrase how to communicate this back to them—

1. I’d like the stone to sit lower in the halo.
2. Please, round out the halo a little. Currently it’s a little too square and too wide. I’d like a soft cushion look instead of a square.

Not sure how to communicate too much metal. That might just be what happens with this vs something that’s handmade.

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think @SporkingQueen is right on all accounts. If the soften the corners and make them more rounded it will help. And then if they match the inside corners with the outside this should reduce the view of the metal under the center.

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@swaye2010 could we see a profile pic of that lovely new ring?

jen2mc

Shiny_Rock
I think @SporkingQueen is right on all accounts. If the soften the corners and make them more rounded it will help. And then if they match the inside corners with the outside this should reduce the view of the metal under the center.

Thank you! I’m confused about the inside/outside corners— can you explain more? I’m working on my list of requests to send back to them.

Also— do the prongs for the main stone seem large to you?

Ladeejakki

Rough_Rock
Hi ladies. I’ve been stalking many of these boards and have decided to move forward with Tianyu and speaking with Sophia. I am purchasing a 7.25 h&a and also oec. She tells me that they are busy right now and don’t have ones in stock. So, I have decided on a custom made. I fell in love with nat82 and Greeneyes OECs. I do not like OEC that are dark in the middle and I like seeing the flower. I want sharp facets on both and I don’t like when the facets are large on the inside of the hearts and arrows. She says if I can get some specs they can cut exactly what I want. Do you ladies have any specs to use when ordering? From what I read you cannot reach her custom orders if you don’t like them. Any help is appreciated!

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you! I’m confused about the inside/outside corners— can you explain more? I’m working on my list of requests to send back to them.

Also— do the prongs for the main stone seem large to you?
I mean the inside and outside corners of the halo. If the inner are rounder then they may tuck under the round center. Does that make sense?

As to the prongs they always look bigger on a CAD. In looking closer, I think where the girdle is sitting is good and would want them to match it on the ring but the crown on the CAD stone seems tall which might be making them look out of proportion? Anyone else think that?

Last edited:

jen2mc

Shiny_Rock
@redwood66 I see what you mean about the tall crown making it look off. I still think it’s slightly higher but maybe not as high.

I still don’t totally understand about the inside corners but I also don’t think I really have an eye for these things— so I’m so thankful for you! I’ll use your wordage and see if that helps them.

swaye2010

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you so much for your feedback! I love the inspiration picture, too! I need to manage my expectations that this will not look exactly the same— but at least we can try to get as close as we can! So I’m trying to phrase how to communicate this back to them—

1. I’d like the stone to sit lower in the halo.
2. Please, round out the halo a little. Currently it’s a little too square and too wide. I’d like a soft cushion look instead of a square.

Not sure how to communicate too much metal. That might just be what happens with this vs something that’s handmade.[/QUOTE
I think if you soften the corners on that halo, you won't have too much metal in the corners and it will fix that problem. That way you also won't get a gap around each prong that collects dust. I think they can drop down the stone a little bit. I have noticed that most of my rings sit a little higher but maybe that is their custom over there. Just make sure they have exact dimensions on your stone so they know how far they can come down and high tight they can keep that halo. I don't think there is any reason why they can't give you something exactly like your inspiration pictures...

swaye2010

Brilliant_Rock
B2893B5D-B5E8-4362-A967-741781F6E552.jpeg I am not too great with the beauty shots. I don’t know how people manage to keep their rings posed in flowers!! For a G/H stone, this is pretty white. Extremely comfortable on the hands. The only thing I might change is the bottom thickness to 1.8 instead of 1.6 because it is a sizeable stone and I like to have some weight on my rings. I have long fingers so a 10mm looks to be like a 3 carat on my finger. It looks bigger in pictures but the setting is low so no weird side eye so far....

7FAA1460-EA0A-4EF7-8ADB-DF9F717FBA5B.jpeg 9D6F76E4-7F63-4126-8A9D-8BC4823742AD.jpeg B06F5F50-DF02-44D9-8B62-79B1626B79F6.jpeg 3FBC8BFC-A8DB-44B6-8D19-BDFE04CA1CD1.jpeg

4C81BB93-3C59-40E6-AE4A-DDB38D3E15D7.jpeg E7382632-6516-4FEA-9A8F-41C45ED7A1E7.jpeg

Attachments

• 447FC5E8-FBEB-4A1B-8A7C-A1E9BB1A7EDB.jpeg
    447FC5E8-FBEB-4A1B-8A7C-A1E9BB1A7EDB.jpeg
    211.1 KB · Views: 20
  • 5CC2AA2D-3F78-47D6-A851-66E02194B343.jpeg
    5CC2AA2D-3F78-47D6-A851-66E02194B343.jpeg
    199.4 KB · Views: 16

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ahhh the profile is lovely! What a beautiful ring! :love:

swaye2010

Brilliant_Rock
@redwood66 I see what you mean about the tall crown making it look off. I still think it’s slightly higher but maybe not as high.

I still don’t totally understand about the inside corners but I also don’t think I really have an eye for these things— so I’m so thankful for you! I’ll use your wordage and see if that helps them.
I 2nd redwood66’s points. Having it slightly rounded or softened will eliminate some of those gaps. In doing that, it will mean the stone will sit slightly lifted from the halo and therefore might sit a bit higher. The prongs will be fine IRL. I think they might be able to drop that head down just a bit though if you ask as long as the depth of the stone allows. They are getting much better on proportion and I have enough rings now to know that these macro pictures sometimes exaggerate things we might not notice once received. Make a short list for them though to get to your inspiration picture.

FutureChocolateMLK

Brilliant_Rock
B2893B5D-B5E8-4362-A967-741781F6E552.jpeg I am not too great with the beauty shots. I don’t know how people manage to keep their rings posed in flowers!! For a G/H stone, this is pretty white. Extremely comfortable on the hands. The only thing I might change is the bottom thickness to 1.8 instead of 1.6 because it is a sizeable stone and I like to have some weight on my rings. I have long fingers so a 10mm looks to be like a 3 carat on my finger. It looks bigger in pictures but the setting is low so no weird side eye so far....

7FAA1460-EA0A-4EF7-8ADB-DF9F717FBA5B.jpeg 9D6F76E4-7F63-4126-8A9D-8BC4823742AD.jpeg B06F5F50-DF02-44D9-8B62-79B1626B79F6.jpeg 3FBC8BFC-A8DB-44B6-8D19-BDFE04CA1CD1.jpeg

4C81BB93-3C59-40E6-AE4A-DDB38D3E15D7.jpeg E7382632-6516-4FEA-9A8F-41C45ED7A1E7.jpeg

It’s beautiful!!! Are you happy with the H&A cut? And it does look super white for G-H, especially in a stone that size. I don’t see any warmth at all! :eek2:

swaye2010

Brilliant_Rock
It’s beautiful!!! Are you happy with the H&A cut? And it does look super white for G-H, especially in a stone that size. I don’t see any warmth at all! :eek2:
It’s pretty white in indoor light, no warmth at all. In spotlight you get more sparkle because of the double refraction....more so than my diamond. In outdoor light, I can see the darkness of the arrows so it is not bright white like it is in indoor light. It behaves a bit differently than the antique cuts.

Taurus2313

Brilliant_Rock
It’s pretty white in indoor light, no warmth at all. In spotlight you get more sparkle because of the double refraction....more so than my diamond. In outdoor light, I can see the darkness of the arrows so it is not bright white like it is in indoor light. It behaves a bit differently than the antique cuts.

I wonder if it is the newer Forever one GH Stones? They will be more white than the other regular Moissanite. There is a big difference in the material used. The older moissanites was from the 6H SiC material. The newer Moissanites are cut from the 4H SiC rough which results in much whiter stones. When in doubt I would always ask which rough material they are cutting/using. The 6H SiC or the newer 4H SiC?
Also a H&A cut is going to produce a much different faceting pattern and overall look than the older cuts will which are more chunky in their faceting.. I think:?: this also produces a different color shade as well due to the cut. This is evident with the French Cuts showing a more steely look in White Metals.
Someone feel free to correct me if I am wrong about this..;)2

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wonder this as well. When I look at the pics David sent of my step cut in the platinum setting it looks steely colored but it is an F/G per my request. It didn't look this way unset but maybe it is the pics and will look better IRL. I can't really tell on the X ring yet and those are supposed to be the H&A DEF stones. They do look pretty white in the pics and vid.

Taurus2313

Brilliant_Rock
I wonder this as well. When I look at the pics David sent of my step cut in the platinum setting it looks steely colored but it is an F/G per my request. It didn't look this way unset but maybe it is the pics and will look better IRL. I can't really tell on the X ring yet and those are supposed to be the H&A DEF stones. They do look pretty white in the pics and vid.

In your case I do believe that it is just the lighting that he used to take the photos because if I can remember correctly you took photos of the Asscher cut before you sent it to him and your photos didn't reflect in the same way.? The stone looked much brighter than it is showing up in his glamor shots..

swaye2010

Brilliant_Rock
In your case I do believe that it is just the lighting that he used to take the photos because if I can remember correctly you took photos of the Asscher cut before you sent it to him and your photos didn't reflect in the same way.? The stone looked much brighter than it is showing up in his glamor shots..
Mrsgreeneyes verified that they are using 4H sic back in the beginning of the year on WB where we started ordering from SG and Tianyu. I only saw some body color when a few people went down to J/K. All the antique cuts and the one modern one I have ordered have been G/H. Tianyu breaks it down into D/E and then F but they are all really just colorless. The G/H stones will show a bit of body color unset but they still face up so white. I wish I could take a good pic of all of them at the same time but it is so hard. The halo is a 2 carat H diamond for comparison.

Cool light and warm light:
A7854871-28AE-40F8-B55A-AD886303B142.jpeg 7119A6CA-7D78-43FE-8EBC-E877A704164C.jpeg

Attachments

• C9ADB215-B9C4-42AE-968F-6B729D2C3E82.jpeg
    C9ADB215-B9C4-42AE-968F-6B729D2C3E82.jpeg
    113.4 KB · Views: 23
  • 95181310-70E5-4DA8-B3E1-081214905F27.jpeg
    95181310-70E5-4DA8-B3E1-081214905F27.jpeg
    138.7 KB · Views: 24

Lucky_Rabbit

Shiny_Rock
Mrsgreeneyes verified that they are using 4H sic back in the beginning of the year on WB where we started ordering from SG and Tianyu. I only saw some body color when a few people went down to J/K. All the antique cuts and the one modern one I have ordered have been G/H. Tianyu breaks it down into D/E and then F but they are all really just colorless. The G/H stones will show a bit of body color unset but they still face up so white. I wish I could take a good pic of all of them at the same time but it is so hard. The halo is a 2 carat H diamond for comparison.

A7854871-28AE-40F8-B55A-AD886303B142.jpeg 7119A6CA-7D78-43FE-8EBC-E877A704164C.jpeg

SSSOOoo many rings. Rings goal right there, haha.

Taurus2313

Brilliant_Rock

I can definitely see body color more so in your OEC and ACC than in any of the rest of them..;)2 Yes It is so difficult to take great photos of Diamonds and Moissanite.. The pics never look as good as they do IRL!

swaye2010

Brilliant_Rock
SSSOOoo many rings. Rings goal right there, haha.
I have just enough room to fit that EC when I get it....you might just beat me you know!!! Who’s going to take the plunge and get that crushed ice??

Lucky_Rabbit

Shiny_Rock
I have just enough room to fit that EC when I get it....you might just beat me you know!!! Who’s going to take the plunge and get that crushed ice??

Haha, I was actually going to email Cherry yesterday. I thought I can just have her do custom cut for the crushed ice for me first before I pay for the setting. If it comes out well, I'll do the setting and pay for that later. If not...then I don't know. Have them either redo or take it and resell or something. I feel like I'll probably do crushed ice first since you're gung ho on your diamond band:razz: And I doubt I'll beat you. I've already sold a ring and you still have all yours. Plus, you got tons of bands as well.

jen2mc

Shiny_Rock

I hope you wear them all at once just like that!! ;)2

Taurus2313

Brilliant_Rock
Haha, I was actually going to email Cherry yesterday. I thought I can just have her do custom cut for the crushed ice for me first before I pay for the setting. If it comes out well, I'll do the setting and pay for that later. If not...then I don't know. Have them either redo or take it and resell or something. I feel like I'll probably do crushed ice first since you're gung ho on your diamond band:razz: And I doubt I'll beat you. I've already sold a ring and you still have all yours. Plus, you got tons of bands as well.

Lucky did you sell your custom made OEC?

Lucky_Rabbit

Shiny_Rock
Lucky did you sell your custom made OEC?

I sold my OEC ring from SG. It was sad, because I loved the setting. I'll likely sell the loose OEC from Tianyu as well. We shall see. OEC isn't really my "thing".

Taurus2313

Brilliant_Rock
Yeah that was the one that I was referring to..:oops2:Sorry didn't make that clear. I think that they are beautiful but I don't like a dark center on one and I have seen some gorgeous ones on here so I know that they can do it and it is possible. Also to me, an OEC looks best when put into an antique, vintage or art deco setting.=)2

I am still CRUSHING on Swaye's Elongated ACC ring. It is GORGEOUS! I am almost hypnotized every time she shows it!

swaye2010

Brilliant_Rock
I hope you wear them all at once just like that!! ;)2
I wish I had been blessed with nice skinny fingers and I probably would! You can see how red my finger is going by trying to cram them all on one finger at the same time....ouch!

FutureChocolateMLK

Brilliant_Rock
I wish I had been blessed with nice skinny fingers and I probably would! You can see how red my finger is going by trying to cram them all on one finger at the same time....ouch!

Amazing collection! Thanks for takin one for the team because ouch! Your fingers do look like they hurt! That three stone makes my heart sing every time I see it. :roll2::kiss2::geek2:

swaye2010

Brilliant_Rock
Amazing collection! Thanks for takin one for the team because ouch! Your fingers do look like they hurt! That three stone makes my heart sing every time I see it. :roll2::kiss2::geek2:
Get those stones ordered girl....you’re up next! Did you get your CAD yet from DK?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results