shape
carat
color
clarity

Buying Moissanite from Tianyu Gems

Lucky_Rabbit

Shiny_Rock
Whew! Sorry I'm so paranoid. Sounds like maybe you're talking about a patina. I had envisioned flakes of coating coming off so it kind of freaked me out.

I just got my Tianyu this afternoon. I'll see if I can post pictures. I'm not exactly thrilled with the products based on cut, color, and workmanship. Not sure what to do or if I can even return them.

It's platinum so it could be what you mentioned that's on the outside. No flakes coating coming off, lol.

What did you get? What's wrong?

SporkingQueen

Rough_Rock
I ordered 4mm OEC studs in platinum and 2mm frenchies in platinum.

My pictures look a bit blurry and I'm so sorry I don't know how to fix that.

The OECs seem dark in the center and not as lively as I think they ought to be. The ring is supposed to be G/H color and compared to my Forever One it's drastic. I don't think this is conveyed in the pics but the frenchies look gray almost like the color of the platinum setting. I'm just not impressed at all. Ugh. The frenchies nor the OECs seem to be crisp either.

mrsgreeneyes

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I ordered 4mm OEC studs in platinum and 2mm frenchies in platinum.

My pictures look a bit blurry and I'm so sorry I don't know how to fix that.

The OECs seem dark in the center and not as lively as I think they ought to be. The ring is supposed to be G/H color and compared to my Forever One it's drastic. I don't think this is conveyed in the pics but the frenchies look gray almost like the color of the platinum setting. I'm just not impressed at all. Ugh. The frenchies nor the OECs seem to be crisp either.
What do the back of the earrings look like? Are they closed? Had you previously seen moissanite in person before? And I understand what you mean by the Frenchies looking almost grey, the cut is kind of like a rose cut and it tends to take on environmental color really easily - in this case the grey color of the surrounding platinum. Have you ever seen a diamond French cut?

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh no @SporkingQueen that is too bad that you are not happy with your items. Will you try to return or exchange? I will be interested to see how they handle this.

Lucky_Rabbit

Shiny_Rock

Yea...they don't look great. They all kind of look like duds, I'm really sorry. That's one of the thing I worry about when it comes to OECs, I've seen some beautiful ones and I've seen ones with grey out center. That's my fear with ordering OECs. Are you going to contact them or just eat the cost and keep them?

eapj

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I just ordered a 7mm round OEC moissanite from Tianyu this morning, So I’m now nervous! I’m sorry that the items are not as expected, @SporkingQueen

SporkingQueen

Rough_Rock
The backs of the bezel are open. I was even a bit leery of these stones when I was sent the video but was assured it was just due to lighting. In fluorescent lighting there is little sparkle from the stones.
I own several moissy pieces so I think my expectations are reasonable.

About the frenchies, I have never seen diamond french cuts in person. They look so gorgeous in the pictures I've seen online but if this is what it looks like (unless my cuts were bad) then I am not a fan. I adore the old cuts so I never considered that I wouldn't like french cuts..

This morning I emailed Ella about returning the jewelry. I do like the earrings just not the stones so I am considering asking for round brilliant. What do I need to ask for to ensure I get very well cut stones? Should I stay hearts and arrows? Any tips? I know some of you state very specifc specs when ordering and I did not do that re the stones.

Lucky_Rabbit

Shiny_Rock
The backs of the bezel are open. I was even a bit leery of these stones when I was sent the video but was assured it was just due to lighting. In fluorescent lighting there is little sparkle from the stones.

About the frenchies, I have never seen diamond french cuts in person. They look so gorgeous in the pictures I've seen online but if this is what it looks like (unless my cuts were bad) then I am not a fan. I adore the old cuts so I never considered that I wouldn't like french cuts..

This morning I emailed Ella about returning the jewelry. I do like the earrings just not the stones so I am considering asking for round brilliant. What do I need to ask for to ensure I get very well cut stones? Should I stay hearts and arrows? Any tips? I know some of you state very specifc specs when ordering and I did not do that re the stones.

Their H&A cut is beautiful. The first couple of loose stones of H&A from them I didn't like, 2nd time around they were much better. Think they're stronger in arrows. Lots on sparkles :) I think you'll be good with modern rounds if you don't like the OEC.

mrsgreeneyes

Shiny_Rock
Premium

Ok, gotcha. I was trying to figure out if you were familiar with moissanite - obviously you are so there is something off about the stones. In re-reading my questions I realized it may have sounded like I was suggesting you or your expectations were the problem, and I want to apologize for that. I was trying to figure out if returning them would be better (in the event you hadn't seen moissanite before and didn't know how it would look) or an exchange (if you're familiar with moissy and therefore there is an issue with the cut of the stones). All that to say, I hope I did not offend and I apologize for not being more thoughtful in my initial response to you.

As for the French cuts, they are definitely a different animal. Two people have privately contacted me wanting to order my Frenchie band and I was very upfront with both of them: This cut is an acquired taste. Now, that's not to say the ones you received couldn't also be poorly cut. It is hard to tell from the pictures. Do you have any Tianyu shots you could post? But either way, Frenchies don't really sparkle in normal lighting. It's more of a shimmery look, and especially on the finger they can almost have an opaque quality to them.

Please keep us posted about your return/exchange experience, whichever direction you choose to go. Things sometimes go sideways and it is important to know what their customer service will be like in those situations.

Lucky_Rabbit

Shiny_Rock
My order consisted of round OEC and H&A.

I put them next to my RB diamonds and I couldn't stop comparing them all for brilliance and fire. The H&A definitely is most similar to my RB diamonds.

With that said, I think it seems to just boil down to personal preference. I do notice my OECs are a little less firey (very small differences, really). I welcome the brilliance and fire in my H&A earrings since my hair is black and hides everything anyway. For my rings/necklaces, I prefer OEC as it's a little less flashy.

With that said, my ACC ring does get gray in direct sunlight, which is somewhat expected and indicates that the stone is well cut.

Yea, the modern cut definitely has sparkles. The OEC isn't as brilliant. It sparkles in the sunlight though. OEC is more settle. I'm starting to realize that's how antique cuts are. I like all the sparkles so I'm definitely more into H&A cut (my fav) :D I'm still contemplating an ACC...

SporkingQueen

Rough_Rock
Ok, gotcha. I was trying to figure out if you were familiar with moissanite - obviously you are so there is something off about the stones. In re-reading my questions I realized it may have sounded like I was suggesting you or your expectations were the problem, and I want to apologize for that. I was trying to figure out if returning them would be better (in the event you hadn't seen moissanite before and didn't know how it would look) or an exchange (if you're familiar with moissy and therefore there is an issue with the cut of the stones). All that to say, I hope I did not offend and I apologize for not being more thoughtful in my initial response to you.

As for the French cuts, they are definitely a different animal. Two people have privately contacted me wanting to order my Frenchie band and I was very upfront with both of them: This cut is an acquired taste. Now, that's not to say the ones you received couldn't also be poorly cut. It is hard to tell from the pictures. Do you have any Tianyu shots you could post? But either way, Frenchies don't really sparkle in normal lighting. It's more of a shimmery look, and especially on the finger they can almost have an opaque quality to them.

Please keep us posted about your return/exchange experience, whichever direction you choose to go. Things sometimes go sideways and it is important to know what their customer service will be like in those situations.

Hi MrsGreenEyes. You're so sweet and considerate- I wasn't offended at all. I figured you were just troubleshooting to figure out the situation.

Ohh that's interesting about the french cuts. I guess I should have researched more before purchasing. I wanted to add that my e-ring is an AVC moissanite and it's G/H color which is what the french cuts are but there is a big difference when I compare them. Maybe the light play is different?

I will definitely let you ladies know what Ella says.

SporkingQueen

Rough_Rock
Lucky Rabbit and Sassegemz - That is really great to hear that you both like their H&A cut. I think I probably will ask if I can get the earrings redone in H&A. These earrings are so cute! They're tiny so they are the perfect size for me to wear everyday. I hope I can exchange them.

SporkingQueen

Rough_Rock
I forgot to comment on the workmanship!!! I think with this my standards are too high and for the price I'll cut them some slack. I specifically asked for milgrain to be applied by hand (I love DK's fine milgrain). Up close you can tell it's a slightly crooked in some spots but from a distance it looks fine. The bezel on the earrings aren't perfectly round either but again, it's an upclose issue. When I buy jewelry I love to look at all the details that make up the piece.

Heard back from Ella - she needs pics to get her supervisor to prove that there is a quality issue before they can approve a refund. Sounds like it could go either way so I'm a bit nervous. I'll update as I hear more.

mrsgreeneyes

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I forgot to comment on the workmanship!!! I think with this my standards are too high and for the price I'll cut them some slack. I specifically asked for milgrain to be applied by hand (I love DK's fine milgrain). Up close you can tell it's a slightly crooked in some spots but from a distance it looks fine. The bezel on the earrings aren't perfectly round either but again, it's an upclose issue. When I buy jewelry I love to look at all the details that make up the piece.

Heard back from Ella - she needs pics to get her supervisor to prove that there is a quality issue before they can approve a refund. Sounds like it could go either way so I'm a bit nervous. I'll update as I hear more.
What are the specs on the eternity ring? I may be interested in buying it from you, if you have trouble with the refund. =)2

SporkingQueen

Rough_Rock
What are the specs on the eternity ring? I may be interested in buying it from you, if you have trouble with the refund. =)2

Oh wow! That's so kind of you.

They are 2x2mm French cut moissanites in either F/G or G/H color. The ring is size 5.75 in platinum.

SporkingQueen

Rough_Rock
Any suggestions on how to take good close up pics with an iphone? Is there maybe an app I could buy? My close-ups turn out fuzzy as you've seen. Ella asked me for a better shot of the stones and I can't seem to get anything clear.

mrsgreeneyes

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Oh wow! That's so kind of you.

They are 2x2mm French cut moissanites in either F/G or G/H color. The ring is size 5.75 in platinum.
Damn, ya had me until the size - I’m a 6.5. :cry2:

mrsgreeneyes

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Any suggestions on how to take good close up pics with an iphone? Is there maybe an app I could buy? My close-ups turn out fuzzy as you've seen. Ella asked me for a better shot of the stones and I can't seem to get anything clear.
I use a macro lens on my iPhone for closeups - mine is by Aukey.

swaye2010

Brilliant_Rock
I have the same French cut band as mrsgreeneyes. She is right about it being a different look. They don’t sparkle in the same way that some of the other cuts do. I think it is a great stacking band but is not the best look on its own. They have a tendency to gray out and blend in with the color of the white gold or platinum. I am glad you commented on the workmanship. I was wondering if the milgrain was crooked or if my eyes were playing up. My miligrain was done during the casting process and looks a bit smaller than your’s so I am surprised it is hand done. I almost think if you had it polished down, it might improve the look. If not, then maybe as other’s suggested, exchange it for something that has more sparkle. Don’t get the tapered baguettes though, I have one and that has zero sparkle. I think in those small cuts, they just don’t work as moissanites.

I have a 10 mm H&A cut coming in the next week. Since it is a large stone, it will be interesting to see how strong the arrows and sparkle will be.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If I hadn't just gotten earrings from them in the same style (but with H&A) I would totally purchase from you if you have issues returning. What size are they?

Taurus2313

Brilliant_Rock
I have the same French cut band as mrsgreeneyes. She is right about it being a different look. They don’t sparkle in the same way that some of the other cuts do. I think it is a great stacking band but is not the best look on its own. They have a tendency to gray out and blend in with the color of the white gold or platinum. I am glad you commented on the workmanship. I was wondering if the milgrain was crooked or if my eyes were playing up. My miligrain was done during the casting process and looks a bit smaller than your’s so I am surprised it is hand done. I almost think if you had it polished down, it might improve the look. If not, then maybe as other’s suggested, exchange it for something that has more sparkle. Don’t get the tapered baguettes though, I have one and that has zero sparkle. I think in those small cuts, they just don’t work as moissanites.

I have a 10 mm H&A cut coming in the next week. Since it is a large stone, it will be interesting to see how strong the arrows and sparkle will be.

:kiss2: Oh that 10mm H&A is going to be a SPARKLE BOMB!!:dance: Cant wait to get your impressions of it.

Taurus2313

Brilliant_Rock
@SporkingQueen I am so sorry that you were not happy with your purchase. sad :(( I cant imagine waiting to receive your goodies only to be met with such disappointment! I am so glad that you posted this though because I almost ordered a ring with French Cuts! I agree that they are beautiful and a completely different kind of look but had no idea how much so until you and @mrsgreeneyes mentioned it. I personally don't like gray looking stones and like white bright ones so that saves me from a major disappointment! I also think that this is why I "like" but not love old cuts. Sometimes they can put off a grayish vibe depending on the cut. My all time favorite is and has been the H&A cut because I am one who loves the splintery sparkles it gives. Round Brilliants will also give off a splintery sparkle but old cuts tend to have chunky facets and will throw chunky flashes. It all comes down to what you love in a stone and how you like for it to perform! =)2

I don't think that you will go wrong ordering a Round Brilliant or H&A cut. Whatever the case, always ask for photos and video samples of the stones that you are interested in purchasing!;)2

SporkingQueen

Rough_Rock

I'm so excited to see your new ring!!

Thanks for the advice about the baguettes. I actually considered going that route since Ella asked if I wanted to switch out the stones, but after what you said I don't think that will be a good fit for me either. Ideally I would like to get a refund on the ring and put H&A in the earrings. If I am happy with the look of the H&A I wouldn't mind getting an eternity or DBTY necklace.

Interesting about your miligrain being finer especially since yours was cast on. I wonder if they really applied mine by hand.

SporkingQueen

Rough_Rock
If I hadn't just gotten earrings from them in the same style (but with H&A) I would totally purchase from you if you have issues returning. What size are they?

Mine are 4mm. What size did you get? Did you post yours? What did you think of the cut? Did you specify anything when you ordered regarding the cut?

SporkingQueen

Rough_Rock
@SporkingQueen I am so sorry that you were not happy with your purchase. sad :(( I cant imagine waiting to receive your goodies only to be met with such disappointment! I am so glad that you posted this though because I almost ordered a ring with French Cuts! I agree that they are beautiful and a completely different kind of look but had no idea how much so until you and @mrsgreeneyes mentioned it. I personally don't like gray looking stones and like white bright ones so that saves me from a major disappointment! I also think that this is why I "like" but not love old cuts. Sometimes they can put off a grayish vibe depending on the cut. My all time favorite is and has been the H&A cut because I am one who loves the splintery sparkles it gives. Round Brilliants will also give off a splintery sparkle but old cuts tend to have chunky facets and will throw chunky flashes. It all comes down to what you love in a stone and how you like for it to perform! =)2

I don't think that you will go wrong ordering a Round Brilliant or H&A cut. Whatever the case, always ask for photos and video samples of the stones that you are interested in purchasing!;)2

With these earrings I wasn't pleased with the pics/videos of the stones before they were set but the SA said they were good since their quality department approved them.. Now I realize I should have gone with my gut. But next time I'll definitely post pics here for everyone's feedback.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mine are 4mm. What size did you get? Did you post yours? What did you think of the cut? Did you specify anything when you ordered regarding the cut?

Mine are 5 or 5.5 (I'd have to double check). I didn't specify anything other than h&a and I am definitely happy with the cut. But to be fair, I'm not scrutinizing cut in earrings like I would for a ring stone, so I think my expectations were different. If I were buying for a ring or necklace I think I would have asked for pics/videos of the specific stones.

Lucky_Rabbit

Shiny_Rock

I'm the same as you, I like sparkles. A lot of people on Pricescope seems to love antique cut, but to me antique cut doesn't have as much sparkles and if not done right you're opening yourself to certain gray out areas. Everybody seems to be on the OEC's train. It looks nice in pics and videos but once you have them in real life , they don't compare to H&A.

Oh, not sure if I mentioned on this thread, here's a comparison OEC of Tianyu and another Chinese vendor's StarsGem.

SG's cut is on top and Tianyu's cut is on the bottom:

I like the pedals on SG's better. I was getting 2 things from both companies to compare. I thought I would get really blown away by Tianyu's OEC b/c of all the hoopla. It's pretty, don't get me wrong. The pedals are just too fat for my liking. It overtakes the table look of it. I saw the video that Emily sent me of the OEC after she had them cut it. I showed her a video of Love Affair Diamonds' moissanite. When it was done, I wasn't blown away, but she kept saying it's great and all that and it's what AutumnGirlSoup has (i dont know why she said that, b/c it doesn't matter to me, lol). I didn't want to make it a big deal so I just said ship it thinking it would be better in person. I'm still contemplating either to keep it and see how I feel about it later or sell it. That's why the OEC ring I'm gonna have them make will likely goes to my mom, unless the cut looks better the 2nd time around, then I'll keep it and give her something else, hehe.

eapj

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
This thread is so helpful! I’m replacing a 7mm x 7.2mm OEC diamond from my engagement ring and putting it back into the cocktail ring it came from. I rarely wear my engagement ring so I am not too bothered by what the moissanite will look like as long as it’s okay. The diamond OEC doesn’t have much sparkle and has some black out spots at certain angles so the fact that the Tianyu gem might just be okay is fine with me. I’m trying to replicate the look of what I have so the OEC makes the most sense.

I do think it all comes down to personal preference. I agree that PSers are Gaga over old cuts! I like them, too, but I think that’s because I prefer subtle bling. I like smaller carat MRB, too!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results