shape
carat
color
clarity

Buying Moissanite from Tianyu Gems

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ella just emailed me so I sent her the pics above. She thought I was talking about the circle under the bale..which I didn’t even notice until she said it..I told her no I wanted the bale to attach without the circle but I drew lines on the part where I wanted the cutouts. I think she knows what I want now. I realize I have to really study the cad because I didn’t even notice the circle under the bale. I wouldn’t have liked that design..
8AF8FB20-CC2E-4595-9FDB-27F9566E6249.jpeg

Kyle753

Rough_Rock
Hi all, here is the gem (1.25ct, 7mm round h&a color F) that was sent to me by Ella prior to be set in the engagement ring. She did not send a set of options to pick from, just this one.

Any input ? I think it looks good but then again I'm not too sure what to look for. Thanks !
Video: https://linksharing.samsungcloud.com/1546883029374CEnyJUG

-176827414.png 911103193.png

dargonav

Rough_Rock
First time posting here, found Tianyu on Reddit first and have read through this thread now. I have been communicating with Ella at Tianyu for a few days now and in the process of having an E-ring and bridal band made.

I sent these images as inspiration, taken from Brilliant Earth:

FullSizeRender-1.jpeg FullSizeRender-2.jpeg FullSizeRender-3.jpeg FullSizeRender-4.jpeg FullSizeRender-5.jpeg

I requested a ring size 6.5, platinum bands, 9mm Round in 8 H&A cut, colorless DEF center stone.

After agreeing on price and paying deposit, about a day and a half later she sent this CAD:

Screen Shot 2019-01-07 at 3.14.21 PM.png

I am happy with this, the only change I requested was for the ring width to be changed to 1.8mm from 2.0mm but Ella replied that they recommend keeping it 2.0mm because platinum is soft. I initially agreed but to be on the safe side since so many people on here mentioned that Tianyu tends to run thicker, I requested a 1.9mm width just to give a little more margin because we really do want a thin band. Ella said that would work and I paid the balance.

I am now waiting on a new CAD though I am sure it will just be the same except say 1.9mm. I haven't seen the stone yet but I will be sure to post it once I get some updates. So far the process has been painless and Ella has been very fast to communicate.

Let me know what you all think about the CAD and the other details I have mentioned, and if you think any changes should be made I am very open to your expertise. Thanks for the help and I have really enjoyed the thread thus far. I can post prices too if anyone wants, not sure the etiquette on that on these boards.

Last edited:

Morenita21

Brilliant_Rock
Hi all, here is the gem (1.25ct, 7mm round h&a color F) that was sent to me by Ella prior to be set in the engagement ring. She did not send a set of options to pick from, just this one.

Any input ? I think it looks good but then again I'm not too sure what to look for. Thanks !
Video: https://linksharing.samsungcloud.com/1546883029374CEnyJUG

-176827414.png 911103193.png

I would ask for a picture of the measurement of the stone too. I measured both my rounds and I paid for 8.5mm only to find out one was 8.2mm and the other 8.1mm.

mrsgreeneyes

Shiny_Rock
Premium
First time posting here, found Tianyu on Reddit first and have read through this thread now. I have been communicating with Ella at Tianyu for a few days now and in the process of having an E-ring and bridal band made.

FullSizeRender-1.jpeg FullSizeRender-2.jpeg FullSizeRender-3.jpeg FullSizeRender-4.jpeg FullSizeRender-5.jpeg

I requested a ring size 6.5, platinum bands, 9mm Round in 8 H&A cut, colorless DEF center stone.

After agreeing on price and paying deposit, about a day and a half later she sent this CAD:

I am happy with this, the only change I requested was for the ring width to be changed to 1.8mm from 2.0mm but Ella replied that they recommend keeping it 2.0mm because platinum is soft. I initially agreed but to be on the safe side since so many people on here mentioned that Tianyu tends to run thicker, I requested a 1.9mm width just to give a little more margin because we really do want a thin band. Ella said that would work and I paid the balance.

I am now waiting on a new CAD though I am sure it will just be the same except say 1.9mm. I haven't seen the stone yet but I will be sure to post it once I get some updates. So far the process has been painless and Ella has been very fast to communicate.

Let me know what you all think about the CAD and the other details I have mentioned, and if you think any changes should be made I am very open to your expertise. Thanks for the help and I have really enjoyed the thread thus far. I can post prices too if anyone wants, not sure the etiquette on that on these boards.
Would you be open to making the wedding band a full eternity? My original wedding set was exactly like this and it drove me NUTS when the side stones didn't line up. I eventually had it soldered together, but then I never had a wedding band to wear by itself. Just a thought! Otherwise, I think the CAD looks faithful to your inspiration setting.

swaye2010

Brilliant_Rock

I think when we have been talking about final rings running bigger than the CAD, it was on the thickness around the shank. Usually the width’s have been fine. I would recommend that you stick with 2.0 for the pave rings. When they are made too thin, they become so delicate that they can bend very easily and your chances of losing stones are much higher. A 2mm band is still pretty thin IMO.

eapj

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I would ask for a picture of the measurement of the stone too. I measured both my rounds and I paid for 8.5mm only to find out one was 8.2mm and the other 8.1mm.

The first one I ordered was off by a bit, too. That may have been listed in their margin of error, though (I can’t remember), but I was a little surprised. The others have purchased have been spot on.

Off by .4 seems like way too much to be off by and would be over any reasonable margin of error, I think.

dargonav

Rough_Rock
Would you be open to making the wedding band a full eternity? My original wedding set was exactly like this and it drove me NUTS when the side stones didn't line up. I eventually had it soldered together, but then I never had a wedding band to wear by itself. Just a thought! Otherwise, I think the CAD looks faithful to your inspiration setting.

That is good to know, I will double check and see if she would be interested in the eternity style, though we have actually talked about soldering it together in the future since she has no plans to ever wear them separately. Thanks, and it is great to hear that the CAD seems to be a good representation.

dargonav

Rough_Rock
I think when we have been talking about final rings running bigger than the CAD, it was on the thickness around the shank. Usually the width’s have been fine. I would recommend that you stick with 2.0 for the pave rings. When they are made too thin, they become so delicate that they can bend very easily and your chances of losing stones are much higher. A 2mm band is still pretty thin IMO.

Ok that is a relief to hear about the thickness, I was worried about the bands coming back and not looking as thin as the ones I have seen on here that are 1.8 or even 1.6mm sometimes. But if platinum with pave is better off at 2.0mm then I will probably communicate that the original CAD is good as is. Thanks for the help!

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
I just got a video of my princess stone for my pendant. It looks so much whiter than my Indian made princess cut moissanite studs I just received! They were supposed to be colorless but I put them next to my G color earrings and engagement ring diamond..They’re definitely yellow next to them. If it’s by itself it doesn’t look too yellow but not very sparkly either. This is the princess cut stone for my pendant that Tianyu is using to make a pendant for me. It’s truly colorless! I just asked for a quote for studs but will wait until I get the pendant and can compare to the stones from India.
upload_2019-1-9_8-11-12.jpeg

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
5B97B78A-5A6B-4276-ACDD-EA655F561575.jpeg
I just received a video and photos of my pendant. In the video it was mesmerizing....These are the photos..I notice that after I confirm the video the pics disappear so I took a quick photo before it happened so I have these...but not the video anymore. I don’t know if it’s something I’m doing..Anyway..Here you go! It looks bright white and so much better than the India moissanite. It gets shipped tomorrow...This has left me with a big decision...These..if it was a diamond would be very expensive..but I had money set aside for princess cut diamond earrings because I’ve made so many mistakes ordering moissanite from people and they’re not right. I took one more chance ordering the pendant and planned to keep it and wear it with the diamond princess earrings I was planning on purchasing. Now that I made my decision this pendant is so pretty I’m struggling on whether to have them make my princess earrings. Tianyu looks like they have the right product and price..I could use that money for something else and they would be less than ten percent what I would be paying for diamond earrings..Opinions?

eapj

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
5B97B78A-5A6B-4276-ACDD-EA655F561575.jpeg
I just received a video and photos of my pendant. In the video it was mesmerizing....These are the photos..I notice that after I confirm the video the pics disappear so I took a quick photo before it happened so I have these...but not the video anymore. I don’t know if it’s something I’m doing..Anyway..Here you go! It looks bright white and so much better than the India moissanite. It gets shipped tomorrow...This has left me with a big decision...These..if it was a diamond would be very expensive..but I had money set aside for princess cut diamond earrings because I’ve made so many mistakes ordering moissanite from people and they’re not right. I took one more chance ordering the pendant and planned to keep it and wear it with the diamond princess earrings I was planning on purchasing. Now that I made my decision this pendant is so pretty I’m struggling on whether to have them make my princess earrings. Tianyu looks like they have the right product and price..I could use that money for something else and they would be less than ten percent what I would be paying for diamond earrings..Opinions?

I’ve been incredibly happy with my Tianyu pieces so I vote get the earrings from them. For 1/10th on the price, you can’t go wrong. I also have no problem wearing moissanite vs diamond but I know not everyone is the same (I mix moissanite and diamond together - maybe a diamond band with moissanite solitaire, for example). I think the Tianyu stuff is really good, especially for the price.

If you’re as happy with the pendant when it arrives, I say go for the earrings and save 9/10 for something else!

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
I’ve been incredibly happy with my Tianyu pieces so I vote get the earrings from them. For 1/10th on the price, you can’t go wrong. I also have no problem wearing moissanite vs diamond but I know not everyone is the same (I mix moissanite and diamond together - maybe a diamond band with moissanite solitaire, for example). I think the Tianyu stuff is really good, especially for the price.

If you’re as happy with the pendant when it arrives, I say go for the earrings and save 9/10 for something else!
Thank you @eapj! I’m swaying that way! I’m going to wait to get it and decide but this seems like a no brainer!

JPie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Mamabean I agree with eapj! Moissanite princess cut studs would make a great set with the pendant and free up some funds for more goodies.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
@Mamabean I agree with eapj! Moissanite princess cut studs would make a great set with the pendant and free up some funds for more goodies.
Thank you @JPie! I’m being so indecisive! I’ll have money to start looking for a cluster ring! Haha!

Kp513

Rough_Rock
So I don’t mean to thread hijack, but I’ll come full circle.
We ordered the stone below from an Indian manufacturer, and it just came in a few days ago. (Crappy cell photos). And at first I loved it, but the more I look at it, the more something just seems a little off. I can’t put my finger on it (puns).
I should have ordered from Tianyu initially, but my partner saw a good deal and went rogue. Am I crazy and it’s fine? Or is the product at Tianyu superior to this as I suspect? Or could it be the RBC moissanite that looks off to me and we should get a H&A from Tianyu? I was going to include a video but it was too big hence the photo overload haha
1949F8F9-3487-496B-AB2F-FB3ACAFE2889.jpeg D636430E-F314-4A8B-BE15-DDFAA9D52F56.jpeg B6B2A938-6B57-4FA2-AD99-5A0C0B4F50DD.jpeg 74D12E22-2994-413A-8A67-ECF3F84F6B21.jpeg 3D5C13CD-9F52-40D7-BC29-781892E0322C.jpeg

Attachments

• 20BEBFEE-C565-4528-8A72-D34E49407F86.jpeg
    20BEBFEE-C565-4528-8A72-D34E49407F86.jpeg
    106.5 KB · Views: 25

anangel

Brilliant_Rock
@Kp513 do you have any more close ups on the stone? Perhaps inside and outside lighting. It looks a little dark and definitely has some body color.
The trouble is you’re going to end up spending more setting it than you did on the stone. If you aren’t happy with the stone, you really shouldn’t have it set without seeing other moissanite at least.
Well cut moissanite can be very white, and have some nice arrows. Here is a shot of one my Tianyu pieces for comparison.
CFFF3FB1-430E-43C9-8916-17F0BCCCAAF2.jpeg

Kp513

Rough_Rock
@Kp513 do you have any more close ups on the stone? Perhaps inside and outside lighting. It looks a little dark and definitely has some body color.
The trouble is you’re going to end up spending more setting it than you did on the stone. If you aren’t happy with the stone, you really shouldn’t have it set without seeing other moissanite at least.
Well cut moissanite can be very white, and have some nice arrows. Here is a shot of one my Tianyu pieces for comparison.
CFFF3FB1-430E-43C9-8916-17F0BCCCAAF2.jpeg

So we haven’t yet set it which is why I’m hesitant to get it set. Yeah I agree it looked a bit dark. I’ll get some outside shots this weekend when I’m back from a work trip. Love your stone!! I’m suspecting it was poorly cut as it appears glassy even outside of the box.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
So I don’t mean to thread hijack, but I’ll come full circle.
We ordered the stone below from an Indian manufacturer, and it just came in a few days ago. (Crappy cell photos). And at first I loved it, but the more I look at it, the more something just seems a little off. I can’t put my finger on it (puns).
I should have ordered from Tianyu initially, but my partner saw a good deal and went rogue. Am I crazy and it’s fine? Or is the product at Tianyu superior to this as I suspect? Or could it be the RBC moissanite that looks off to me and we should get a H&A from Tianyu? I was going to include a video but it was too big hence the photo overload haha
1949F8F9-3487-496B-AB2F-FB3ACAFE2889.jpeg D636430E-F314-4A8B-BE15-DDFAA9D52F56.jpeg B6B2A938-6B57-4FA2-AD99-5A0C0B4F50DD.jpeg 74D12E22-2994-413A-8A67-ECF3F84F6B21.jpeg 3D5C13CD-9F52-40D7-BC29-781892E0322C.jpeg
I’m going to be honest with you because I’ve made mistakes buying moissanite from India and I don’t want anyone else to have issues like I had. My moissanite from India looks grayer and not the color that was described. I don’t want to single anyone out but I’ll show you a photo of my princess cut earrings and asscher cut earrings from India. They were supposed to be colorless but they are more like a j. I put them along side my diamond jewelry. You will notice that the moissanite doesn’t sparkle and looks grayed compared to my diamonds. I have other moissanite and it’s definitely bright, colorless and compares to diamonds. Those I bought from Charles and Colvard in the DEF color range. I recently took a chance on Tianyu and ordered a princess cut pendant. I haven’t received it yet but have photos and a video and it’s just beautiful. That photo is on the bottom. See the attached line up of the diamonds and moissanite.
25ADD77E-8907-496B-8E09-701EC2409D6C.jpeg
The photo below is the princess pendant from Tianyu. I think it looks colorless and much much better than the India moissanite.
B6CAC6DA-8639-4F19-B829-17F6A927CCD4.jpeg

Kp513

Rough_Rock
I’m going to be honest with you because I’ve made mistakes buying moissanite from India and I don’t want anyone else to have issues like I had. My moissanite from India looks grayer and not the color that was described. I don’t want to single anyone out but I’ll show you a photo of my princess cut earrings and asscher cut earrings from India. They were supposed to be colorless but they are more like a j. I put them along side my diamond jewelry. You will notice that the moissanite doesn’t sparkle and looks grayed compared to my diamonds. I have other moissanite and it’s definitely bright, colorless and compares to diamonds. Those I bought from Charles and Colvard in the DEF color range. I recently took a chance on Tianyu and ordered a princess cut pendant. I haven’t received it yet but have photos and a video and it’s just beautiful. That photo is on the bottom. See the attached line up of the diamonds and moissanite.
25ADD77E-8907-496B-8E09-701EC2409D6C.jpeg
The photo below is the princess pendant from Tianyu. I think it looks colorless and much much better than the India moissanite.
B6CAC6DA-8639-4F19-B829-17F6A927CCD4.jpeg

Yeah he saw sale and couldn’t resist. It definitely has that “look” of the asscher, kind of soapy and grey. He thinks it’s absolutely perfect though haha!! Gotta love men

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yeah he saw sale and couldn’t resist. It definitely has that “look” of the asscher, kind of soapy and grey. He thinks it’s absolutely perfect though haha!! Gotta love men
Yes..I have one of those! Mine said it was sparkly enough..sigh :roll2:

anangel

Brilliant_Rock
Next time he asks you to pick up drinks, buy him some cheap store brand beer and tell him it’s absolutely perfect :lol:

Kp513

Rough_Rock
Yes..I have one of those! Mine said it was sparkly enough..sigh :roll2:

There’s no such thing! Mine thought a 2.5mm eternity band looked flashy when he has a class ring that goes to his knuckle :lol-2:

Kp513

Rough_Rock
Next time he asks you to pick up drinks, buy him some cheap store brand beer and tell him it’s absolutely perfect :lol:

He gets excited when I go to costco because he genuinely thinks their beer is the best!! And we live in a city with a huuuuge craft beer scene. Breaking my heart already

Kp513

Rough_Rock
Update: Sophia sent me a video with these stones. I just screenshotted it. Thoughts?
FD3B04C9-F422-4C3E-806D-84D4C61C1A1C.png

jonathanrc

Rough_Rock
Emily just sent me the CAD for my e-ring. My girlfriend likes thin bands in rings, is 2.0 mm good? Any input on the design is appreciated as well, thank you!

mmexport1547711307020.png

jonathanrc

Rough_Rock
The bottom measurement is 1.3 not 1.1 on the ring.

swaye2010

Brilliant_Rock
Emily just sent me the CAD for my e-ring. My girlfriend likes thin bands in rings, is 2.0 mm good? Any input on the design is appreciated as well, thank you!

mmexport1547711307020.png
I think you shouldn’t go under 2 mm when you have pave or the ring might loose some stones. Having a 2 mm band is still pretty thin and you have quite a large halo there so I wouldn’t go any less. I would bump up the thickness to 1.5 mm at least. She has a smaller finger but most US companies are around 1.8 mm thick. If she likes them to feel thin, then I would say 1.5-1.6 mm. If you go too thin at the bottom, you will see small dents over time as the bottom of the ring takes the most abuse during wear.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results