color
clarity

Buying Moissanite from Tianyu Gems

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
It’s beautiful! She’s going to love it!

gaiaair

Rough_Rock
Just to follow up, I received the videos and the pictures from Sophia. I took @Morenita21 advice (thanks!) and also asked for a picture measuring the stones and they are actually a hair bigger than what I ordered. Anything else I should ask / look for?

Morenita21

Brilliant_Rock
Just to follow up, I received the videos and the pictures from Sophia. I took @Morenita21 advice (thanks!) and also asked for a picture measuring the stones and they are actually a hair bigger than what I ordered. Anything else I should ask / look for?

You should be good to go!

bbk0885

Shiny_Rock
Thoughts on G/H vs I/J for an OEC in a yellow gold setting? I’m okay with some warmth, but curious to hear an opinion if anyone has seen an I/J (or both) in person.

Kp513

Rough_Rock
50DEF929-75C0-4AFD-9066-555E99150BF7.png

Just got our CAD! Any suggestions on changes? I need to ask to see stones to pick one still

swaye2010

Brilliant_Rock
50DEF929-75C0-4AFD-9066-555E99150BF7.png

Just got our CAD! Any suggestions on changes? I need to ask to see stones to pick one still
I think the two rings look fine but you are definitely going to need a spacer. Your stone is sitting pretty high but it is still not high enough for the prongs to clear that band. You can see from the CAD how they are going to eat into the side. It happens very fast so something to think about.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
I was told when I put in my order for my princess cut earrings through Ella a week or so ago that they are having their Chinese New Year soon. She emailed me my cad the following day but said they won’t start doing the setting until after the New Year in February. Did anyone else get that message?

swaye2010

Brilliant_Rock
I was told when I put in my order for my princess cut earrings through Ella a week or so ago that they are having their Chinese New Year soon. She emailed me my cad the following day but said they won’t start doing the setting until after the New Year in February. Did anyone else get that message?
I was told they wouldn’t start production until the week of the 11th of February because of the holiday.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
I was told they wouldn’t start production until the week of the 11th of February because of the holiday.
Thanks..I know she told me a date and I could t find it..I think I deleted it by mistake.

Kp513

Rough_Rock
I think the two rings look fine but you are definitely going to need a spacer. Your stone is sitting pretty high but it is still not high enough for the prongs to clear that band. You can see from the CAD how they are going to eat into the side. It happens very fast so something to think about.

Yeah we’re aware of the need for a spacer. I didn’t want the stone sitting any higher since it’s already high like you said. Spacer is better than smacking the prongs on the counter haha

sd_flp

Brilliant_Rock
Hi, first time poster, sometime lurker. I have been trying to educate myself on Tianyu and I am hoping to buy a Heart and Arrows round Moissanite. So far I have been communicating with Sophia. Was just curious, do they work on the weekend? Due to the time difference (am in US), I don’t know if she will get back to me today. I want to buy before they close shop for Chinese New Year.

I’m hoping this will be a better experience than my first attempt with ordering from diamondrensu from India. :(2

Miss2mrs

Rough_Rock
Hi first time poster, sorry if I ramble on! Just wondering if you think my project may be too ambitious for Tianyu. I'd like a 1.5 ct OEC 6 prong solitaire and a small 1/2 eternity wedder. I'll post some inspiration pictures below. Please give me your honest feedback, I see they do amazing work and don't want to be disappointed.
Screenshot_2019-01-20-20-01-17-20.png IMG_20190126_002110.jpg Naveya+and+Sloane+182_16123499_1895041330733110_8392170636717326336_n203.jpg

Bfelix

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Thinking of getting a quote from Ella to make this BE setting with a 7mm OEC. Any thoughts on whether this would be a good project for them? I’ve seen some prong problems in this thread, but generally it seems like plain solitaires are pretty safe? (ETA: I can get a very similar setting from an Etsy vendor for $345, so that is the price tag I’m comparing against.)
B6FCC863-EA9E-4C8F-A34E-0EAA6C465773.jpeg 99CED7B5-0277-4448-8691-2FF1645BDE7C.jpeg EF7C09F3-BF78-4841-B314-F3EB42799C4C.jpeg

I had a setting made that looks almost identical to this.
71AB03D0-D794-459D-AEF1-B364CB8BE088.jpeg 2742841A-FAA6-469A-B798-CEC8A67E4824.jpeg
67BD3DD5-CAC3-401C-BF44-460533D46658.jpeg

bbk0885

Shiny_Rock
Thank you for posting this! It is pretty much the exact setting, the best I can tell. Your ring turned out soo pretty! I love how low it’s set.
I had a setting made that looks almost identical to this.
71AB03D0-D794-459D-AEF1-B364CB8BE088.jpeg 2742841A-FAA6-469A-B798-CEC8A67E4824.jpeg
67BD3DD5-CAC3-401C-BF44-460533D46658.jpeg

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi, first time poster, sometime lurker. I have been trying to educate myself on Tianyu and I am hoping to buy a Heart and Arrows round Moissanite. So far I have been communicating with Sophia. Was just curious, do they work on the weekend? Due to the time difference (am in US), I don’t know if she will get back to me today. I want to buy before they close shop for Chinese New Year.

I’m hoping this will be a better experience than my first attempt with ordering from diamondrensu from India. :(2
Oh it will be..Scroll up to see the lineup of diamonds and the studs he made for comparison. The color and cut of my princess and asscher cut studs from him are gray and the cuts don’t match. I should have returned them...I’m very happy with the princess cut pendant that Tianyu made for me..If you scroll down after the lineup you’ll see the pendant.

sd_flp

Brilliant_Rock
Oh it will be..Scroll up to see the lineup of diamonds and the studs he made for comparison. The color and cut of my princess and asscher cut studs from him are gray and the cuts don’t match. I should have returned them...I’m very happy with the princess cut pendant that Tianyu made for me..If you scroll down after the lineup you’ll see the pendant.
Thanks, Mamabean! I’ve seen your Moissanite from Tianyu and honestly that’s what sold me to go with them. I’m so anxious for Sophia to get back to me because the H&A looks so divine!!! :kiss2:

I’m just hoping she replies tomorrow; if not, I guess I’ll have to wait on Monday. :cry: I hope if I love this enough, I might ask them to make a ring for me!

sd_flp

Brilliant_Rock
Aaaah, Sophia got back to me! I just paid the PayPal invoice, can’t wait for it to ship and hopefully show the stone on this thread. :kiss2:

Clemsonfan15

Rough_Rock
Hi,

I'd appreciate everyone's feedback in this thread. It has been helpful.

Can I get your feedback on the CAD I received from them?
  • Do you think it sits too high? It is listed at 7.2mm.
  • It appears that a wedding ring will not sit flush with this ring. Is this true?
  • Is the shank width of 1.7mm at the bottom enough or is it too thin?
  • I asked for it to be made in platinum, but they recommend white gold. From my research platinum was the preferred metal for small melee stones.
  • What are your thoughts on the halo stones? I am looking for a small halo. They appear to be half pointers.
  • Any other feedback?
CAD.png

Thank you

swaye2010

Brilliant_Rock
Hi,

I'd appreciate everyone's feedback in this thread. It has been helpful.

Can I get your feedback on the CAD I received from them?
  • Do you think it sits too high? It is listed at 7.2mm.
  • It appears that a wedding ring will not sit flush with this ring. Is this true?
  • Is the shank width of 1.7mm at the bottom enough or is it too thin?
  • I asked for it to be made in platinum, but they recommend white gold. From my research platinum was the preferred metal for small melee stones.
  • What are your thoughts on the halo stones? I am looking for a small halo. They appear to be half pointers.
  • Any other feedback?
CAD.png

Thank you

I would say that 7.2 mm is pretty low for a cathedral setting so I wouldn’t worry about the height too much. I have a ring with a very similar profile and I had to go up to 7.8 mm just to get the band to sit up flush so I don’t think you will be able to do that with this design. Not sure what your intention is? You can either go with a gap, get a spacer or have them design a band for you at the same time to get the best match or a flush fit.

My rings are similar to your finger size and I usually go with 1.8 mm thickness at the bottom for a solid ring that will hold up over a long time. I always have my rings made in platinum and your CAD says PT950, so that is what they quoted. Some people like a light band and prefer white gold. I don’t like to worry about having to rhodium dip white gold and I like the weight of platinum. They do have a tendency to hold pave stones better but a lot of this does come down to personal preference. It looks like the band has 2x ‘1’ point stones in each channel. It is kind of hard to count the number of stones in the halo/hidden halo. From what I can guess based on the measurements, it looks like the hidden halo is 1/2 point stones and the halo around your pear is 3/4 point stones. I think it will look like a dainty halo and appears in balance to the rest of your design. Hope that helps....

Clemsonfan15

Rough_Rock
I would say that 7.2 mm is pretty low for a cathedral setting so I wouldn’t worry about the height too much. I have a ring with a very similar profile and I had to go up to 7.8 mm just to get the band to sit up flush so I don’t think you will be able to do that with this design. Not sure what your intention is? You can either go with a gap, get a spacer or have them design a band for you at the same time to get the best match or a flush fit.

My rings are similar to your finger size and I usually go with 1.8 mm thickness at the bottom for a solid ring that will hold up over a long time. I always have my rings made in platinum and your CAD says PT950, so that is what they quoted. Some people like a light band and prefer white gold. I don’t like to worry about having to rhodium dip white gold and I like the weight of platinum. They do have a tendency to hold pave stones better but a lot of this does come down to personal preference. It looks like the band has 2x ‘1’ point stones in each channel. It is kind of hard to count the number of stones in the halo/hidden halo. From what I can guess based on the measurements, it looks like the hidden halo is 1/2 point stones and the halo around your pear is 3/4 point stones. I think it will look like a dainty halo and appears in balance to the rest of your design. Hope that helps....

Thanks for your feedback. The wedding ring not sitting flush is not a deal breaker, but I was curious.

The reasons you mentioned about choosing platinum are the same reasons I ultimately chose it also.

My inspiration for the halo was the "blooms" from Tacori. We saw a few of these in stores and liked how small they were.

sd_flp

Brilliant_Rock
Okay, so I think I ran into a minor hiccup with ordering. Maybe I’m being too eager. I ordered a loose stone that I thought was readily available (according to my sales rep) and would be shipped within a day via DHL. I’ve asked for my tracking number, but she still hasn’t responded or read my messages.

Granted I could just be overly eager, although I’ve been speaking with Provence and the sales rep is super good with replying immediately.

swaye2010

Brilliant_Rock
Okay, so I think I ran into a minor hiccup with ordering. Maybe I’m being too eager. I ordered a loose stone that I thought was readily available (according to my sales rep) and would be shipped within a day via DHL. I’ve asked for my tracking number, but she still hasn’t responded or read my messages.

Granted I could just be overly eager, although I’ve been speaking with Provence and the sales rep is super good with replying immediately.
The tracking usually updates within a day of being picked up and it will send you a text message. It does happen to be Chinese New Year and I know they are all off for 2 weeks so it is going to slow things down. Some of the sales rep’s might still respond but production and the mail slow down a lot over their holiday’s.

Last edited:

sd_flp

Brilliant_Rock
The tracking usually updates within a day of being picked up and it will send you a text message. It does happen to be Chinese New Year and I know they are all off for 2 weeks so it is going to slow things down. Some of the sales rep’s might still respond but production and the mail slow down a lot over their holiday’s.
Thanks! I guess I’ll just wait until I get a text then.

bbk0885

Shiny_Rock
I'm almost at the point of placing an order with Tianyu, but I'm wavering over their tendency to make the shank a bit thick. I'm pretty sensitive to the thickness of a ring between my fingers. Anyone have tips or strategies to combat this? Do you shrink the measurement on the CAD, knowing that it might come out thicker anyway, or just double-check before shipping that it was actually made to the described width?

Bfelix

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I'm almost at the point of placing an order with Tianyu, but I'm wavering over their tendency to make the shank a bit thick. I'm pretty sensitive to the thickness of a ring between my fingers. Anyone have tips or strategies to combat this? Do you shrink the measurement on the CAD, knowing that it might come out thicker anyway, or just double-check before shipping that it was actually made to the described width?

I’m very sensitive too and the CAD measurements for my ring that I posted above don’t bother my finger.

bbk0885

Shiny_Rock
That’s good to hear, thanks! I think yours looks very streamlined and comfortable. So it sounds like 1.5mm is a good thickness to shoot for.
I’m very sensitive too and the CAD measurements for my ring that I posted above don’t bother my finger.

tonielle

Rough_Rock

I’m learning this the hard way, but pave side stones are super irritable! Lol so avoid getting more than 1/2 the band in stones

bbk0885

Shiny_Rock
That is so disappointing about your new rings! I hope you will adjust to it. My current wedding set is 3/4 eternity and it doesn’t bother me, but it’s from a US vendor, so maybe the pave is finer? Good point, though. I’m planning on only three melee stones on either side of the band.
I’m learning this the hard way, but pave side stones are super irritable! Lol so avoid getting more than 1/2 the band in stones

tonielle

Rough_Rock
That is so disappointing about your new rings! I hope you will adjust to it. My current wedding set is 3/4 eternity and it doesn’t bother me, but it’s from a US vendor, so maybe the pave is finer? Good point, though. I’m planning on only three melee stones on either side of the band.

I was wondering if a local jeweler could do anything to make it more “smooth”. Or maybe I’ll just get another ring with a deeper shank and smoother edges to act as a buffer.... lol yay more rings!

mousemouse

Rough_Rock
Hi,
after reading all the reviews, I decided to go with Tianyu for my engagement ring (yes, I am picking my own ring :D). I sent them these inspiration pics, and got this CAD. One of the things most important to me was for it to be as low profile as possible. I am not a jewelry wearer so was looking for something that would be comfortable to wear. I think the CAD looks way off. Any suggestions?
I asked for:
- 4mmx4mm antique cushion cut center stone
- 14k yellow gold comfort fit band, with 14k white gold basket
CAD.png lily-cushion-angle__99177.1500673891.650.650.png lily-cushion-close__94137.1500673896.650.650.png
Thanks for the help!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results