shape
carat
color
clarity

Buying Moissanite from Tianyu Gems

Hulamom4

Rough_Rock
Thank you! You guys are tempting me to get a solitaire too... must wait.. lol I figure if it's too much I may get a plain band and have the option of wearing different looks. Maybe just the eternity at times too.

Hulamom4

Rough_Rock
Thank you!!! I can't wait to get them!

mrsgreeneyes

Shiny_Rock
Premium
There is no such thing as overload when it comes to bling!

Hulamom4

Rough_Rock
Ok, that's true! I never tire of looking. Just ask my husband. ;)2 I'm so thankful for the advise to set the stones as low as possible.
Shipping tomorrow!

badmintongirl

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone,
First time poster. Had to take the plunge with such great pricing. My CAD came in, wanted your ladies expert opinions.

A few things before I post the pic, I had requested to change the double prongs to single, which has been shown in the CAD. Does the CAD show the actual color of gold that will be used or is it just for contrast purposes. 2.1mm for a shank seems to be thick? Is there anything else I should be concerned about?
CAD.jpg

FutureChocolateMLK

Brilliant_Rock
Hi everyone,
First time poster. Had to take the plunge with such great pricing. My CAD came in, wanted your ladies expert opinions.

A few things before I post the pic, I had requested to change the double prongs to single, which has been shown in the CAD. Does the CAD show the actual color of gold that will be used or is it just for contrast purposes. 2.1mm for a shank seems to be thick? Is there anything else I should be concerned about?
CAD.jpg

I think it looks great! And with pave, 2.1mm isn’t thick at all. You might be able to bump it down slightly, but I wouldn’t go less than 1.8mm. Personally, 2mm width is my sweet spot but my fingers are bigger than yours. Can’t wait to see hand shots!

anangel

Brilliant_Rock
Hi everyone,

CAD.jpg
Make sure you tell them how you want the prongs finished! Their claw prongs are surprisingly nice, but if you don’t specifically ask for it, your prongs will be more rounded.
I’d consider bumping up the thickness of the bottom of the rings shank. 1.3 is pretty thin, I’d request something closer to 1.6 to 1.8- admittedly it won’t be quite as delicate, but it will wear better if this is going to be a frequently worn ring.

Bfelix

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Hi everyone,

CAD.jpg

Everything looks good. I prefer thinner bands since I am a 4.25. You could go down to 2mm or 1.9mm. The gold color should be the same on the CAD as what you are going to order. The CAD is saying you want yellow gold. Make sure you clarify if you are wanting white gold. It’s going to be a beautiful ring.

swaye2010

Brilliant_Rock
Hi everyone,

CAD.jpg
I agree with everyone else. The band thickness is determined by the size of the pave. If you try to bump it down without changing the size of the stones, you will loose those stones. I think 2.1 is very average for a pave ring. I also think that 1.3 mm is too thin, I haven’t really seen anyone with a ring that thin at the bottom yet. It is more likely to show dents and get misshapen over time. Since your finger is on the smaller side, I would go with 1.6 mm. That will keep your ring still in proportion to your finger size and design. i have a 14K yellow gold ring. It looks way more yellow on the CAD but it looks like any other 14K gold ring when you see it in person so don’t worry about the color.

Mrsemond

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone,

CAD.jpg

Ask for your measurements UNDER what you actually want otherwise it'll come out thick
I told them over and over it was to match my band and it came thicker than it was supposed to

I'm slowly not liking it as much and I now need to get it filled down or something :x2:wall:

elliefire99

Brilliant_Rock
So, I know that talking about prices is not super duper encouraged here, but I figure that the main motivation for going through Tianyu is cost SO....

I was wondering if you all could vet a quote for me. It seems crazy to complain about already such relatively low prices, but the quote maybe seemed a little high compared to others I have seen here? Call me out if I am being crazy.

I reached out to Ella for a quote for a 14k bar necklace with 5 3.5mm french cut moissanites. Standard thin bezel, adjustable 15in and 17in chain.

She said it would be $50 for the moissies (wow!) and the total project would be $545. She estimated 4.5g of gold, including the chain.

Am I just being picky and cheap thinking that's high? Their standard 1ct bezeled round necklaces are $200-$300 on the site.

eapj

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
The necklace would be a smaller version of this (5X3.5mm fc instead of 7X4mm fc) without milgrain bc I don't know if I trust the Tianyu milgrain.

upload_2018-11-9_0-46-12.png

Beautiful! I’m far from an expert but that’s a substantial amount of gold so maybe that’s why the price surprised you?

mrsthirdcharms

Shiny_Rock
Hey everyone,

I asked for a simple solitaire from Tianyu, a 7 mm OEC set in rose gold with a 6 prong white gold basket, and wanted to combine elements from these 2 rings. Band 2mm thick x 1.5mm wide:

D443845E-99E0-4C90-B6EC-7C9BE4D17F6D.jpeg

I want the slightly tapered shoulders as in the ring on the left, and the head/ basket like the one on the right. The CAD came back like this:

A8260446-FC95-4F4F-9913-F36F8F828BC6.png

When I asked Sophia to edit the drawing to reflect the taper as in the inspiration ring on the left, and to make the basket sit flush where it joins with the band in the profile, this is what she said:

After I feedback to our Jeweler,
he noticed you requested for the tapered design according to your pictures.
it looks like the top shank's thickness is more than the width.
if stick this way, when wearing it may not so comfortable.

Does this sound right? It’s a very gentle taper that I’m asking for, so I don’t understand why it would cause the ring to stick out and be uncomfortable. I don’t want a knife edge.

Would you talented ladies please give me your thoughts?

Thanks!!

elliefire99

Brilliant_Rock
Beautiful! I’m far from an expert but that’s a substantial amount of gold so maybe that’s why the price surprised you?

Thanks! I think you're right. I guess I was surprised because a ring is around 3g, no? So I thought maybe this would take a bit less gold than 4.5g... But I guess there is the chain to take into account too.

But it is very pretty :) I was originally just going to buy the stones from Tianyu and set them later, but I may wait a bit and just order the whole thing from them once I recover from my e-ring. ;)2

Mrsemond

Rough_Rock
Thanks! I think you're right. I guess I was surprised because a ring is around 3g, no? So I thought maybe this would take a bit less gold than 4.5g... But I guess there is the chain to take into account too.

But it is very pretty :) I was originally just going to buy the stones from Tianyu and set them later, but I may wait a bit and just order the whole thing from them once I recover from my e-ring. ;)2

is there anyway to private message on here ?

mrsgreeneyes

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Hey everyone,

I asked for a simple solitaire from Tianyu, a 7 mm OEC set in rose gold with a 6 prong white gold basket, and wanted to combine elements from these 2 rings. Band 2mm thick x 1.5mm wide:

D443845E-99E0-4C90-B6EC-7C9BE4D17F6D.jpeg

I want the slightly tapered shoulders as in the ring on the left, and the head/ basket like the one on the right. The CAD came back like this:

A8260446-FC95-4F4F-9913-F36F8F828BC6.png

When I asked Sophia to edit the drawing to reflect the taper as in the inspiration ring on the left, and to make the basket sit flush where it joins with the band in the profile, this is what she said:

After I feedback to our Jeweler,
he noticed you requested for the tapered design according to your pictures.
it looks like the top shank's thickness is more than the width.
if stick this way, when wearing it may not so comfortable.

Does this sound right? It’s a very gentle taper that I’m asking for, so I don’t understand why it would cause the ring to stick out and be uncomfortable. I don’t want a knife edge.

Would you talented ladies please give me your thoughts?

Thanks!!
I would ask what the width measurement is of the donut, we'll need that info to help you make adjustments. Also, what type of prongs are you wanting? Right now they have their standard round prongs on the CAD, and the rose gold setting in your inspo looks like it has soft claws.

mrsgreeneyes

Shiny_Rock
Premium
So, I know that talking about prices is not super duper encouraged here, but I figure that the main motivation for going through Tianyu is cost SO....

I was wondering if you all could vet a quote for me. It seems crazy to complain about already such relatively low prices, but the quote maybe seemed a little high compared to others I have seen here? Call me out if I am being crazy.

I reached out to Ella for a quote for a 14k bar necklace with 5 3.5mm french cut moissanites. Standard thin bezel, adjustable 15in and 17in chain.

She said it would be $50 for the moissies (wow!) and the total project would be $545. She estimated 4.5g of gold, including the chain.

Am I just being picky and cheap thinking that's high? Their standard 1ct bezeled round necklaces are $200-$300 on the site.
I think that price makes sense, there is quite a bit more gold there than what is used for a 1ct bezel. Is the back of yours open or closed? She may be assuming it is closed, which could be driving up the price. If you want windows cut into the back, that would help with cleaning and potentially the price. You're probably going to need to send her a pic to accurately portray that, though.

elliefire99

Brilliant_Rock
I think that price makes sense, there is quite a bit more gold there than what is used for a 1ct bezel. Is the back of yours open or closed? She may be assuming it is closed, which could be driving up the price. If you want windows cut into the back, that would help with cleaning and potentially the price. You're probably going to need to send her a pic to accurately portray that, though.

An open back. But I didn't tell her that until after she first sent the quote and requested clarification. I sent pictures. But her gold estimate is based on that second round of photos with the open back.

Thanks for the insight!

mrsthirdcharms

Shiny_Rock
I would ask what the width measurement is of the donut, we'll need that info to help you make adjustments. Also, what type of prongs are you wanting? Right now they have their standard round prongs on the CAD, and the rose gold setting in your inspo looks like it has soft claws.

I want the soft claw with rounded tips, if that makes sense.

I asked for the donut measurements, this is what she said:

the donut heightness= 5.5mm-4.2mm around(stone height)=1.2mm , we think it’s very small enough , you see it’s stick out might cause by computerized cad,

The problem with this is that she said this about my last project... that it looks a certain way because of the CAD & won’t render or translate to the actual design, but my last ring looks very close to the CAD.:wall:

Thanks for any guidance you can provide!

mrsgreeneyes

Shiny_Rock
Premium
So she gave you the height measurement and not the width. Although, I'm still not even 100% sure how to interpret that height, haha.

Send her this image and ask what that width is:
CAD.png

dkata

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I haven't posted for a long time here, but I need your advice.
I have bought already an OEC from Tianyu, and I'm completely satisfied with it, but after seeing your projects, I also have bigger plans.
I have always wanted some kind of dangling earrings, and at my last visit at my usual jeweler I have seen a very nice pair of earrings, but unfortunately it is not in my budget yet. This is the earring:
640547A6-79D6-456B-92EE-7ED2B39A80AF.jpeg

My question is: do you think, that this earring can be made well from moissanites, and if so, do you think Tianyu could execute it well? Basically, I don't even know, how marquise moissanites perform. Does someone has maybe a marquise cut moissanite?

Of course I also have a plan B. This earring is much more easier to make I guess, and Tianyu already has something similar on their Alibaba feed. This is my second inspiration photo:
46AB505F-7CBB-4617-A2BF-46E10FF6D907.png

And this is from Tianyu's Alibaba. This looks similar, but it’s completely made of OEC‘s.
634C2D34-99F7-4294-9BFC-BDDE57EF1655.jpeg

So what do you think, which project is more realistic? I mean, which one could Tianyu make better?

Last edited:
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results