shape
carat
color
clarity

Buying from CeylonSapphireGems: An expensive mistake

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ok look, EVERYONE SHOULD BE FREE TO EXPRESS THEIR OWN EXPERIENCE.

That includes you and you and you (all general yous)

Lets not get petty.

and @Ionysis I'm not the only one that thinks that your relationship and said pay off looks a little shady, because it does. I don't think you meant any harm because you seem like a decent person, but this is me speaking my mind; it does look funny.

Fine that you have a friendly relationship with said vendor (whatever that means to you) but don't try to CB anyone else from having their say, because its just as important. Even with vendors I've had great experiences with, if someone has a serious grievance, I stand down. I will tell them I've had great experience but I also feel for their side of the coin and I give them space to say what is needed without added any needless pennies.

Its not me coming for you or anyone here, but anyone that does that type of thing needs to have several seats. I've said as much on the diamond board because I don't give a crap who the vendor is; consumers have a right to air their grievance and this is a safe spot to do exactly that.

We need to (all of us) protect that.

The experience any of us have can be different from someone else. Its how the vendor behaves is the most important aspect. This is an instance where every red flag and warning signal was raised because that type of behavior is suspect and thats some seriously lookinlikesomemoneylaunderingwierdness.

I enjoy reading about all experiences here because they can be exceptionally educational, they serve as warning signals, they serve as trust barometers. And all experiences, good bad ugly (I've had all of them) are equally important experiences on this board for others to read.

We should for the sake of the thread and the forum, keep it copacetic.

Wise words as ever @Arcadian . Standing down as ordered! Apologies if I was a bit abrupt but I'm suffering with covid and it's making me miserable.

I'm interested by @cheegg's post above and I wonder if there is a way to complain to a "body" in Sri Lanka.

Ionysis

Brilliant_Rock
I haven’t attempted to stop anyone from having their say. However I do object to being publicly maligned. And I think the Admin has made it clear what their views are on that in this thread and in the action they took against that poster.

This is a place I come to regularly to share my hobby with like minded people. As such I am not willing to sit by and allow someone to lie about what I’ve said in previous posts without setting the record straight by linking to that thread so people can make up their own minds.

I will now bow out of this thread unless someone else feels the need to personally attack me or make defamatory statements.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wise words as ever @Arcadian . Standing down as ordered! Apologies if I was a bit abrupt but I'm suffering with covid and it's making me miserable.

I'm interested by @cheegg's post above and I wonder if there is a way to complain to a "body" in Sri Lanka.
Me too (yep vaccinated and have covid but I'm on the mend) Please get better. And thank you.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Me too (yep vaccinated and have covid but I'm on the mend) Please get better. And thank you.

Yep double vaccinated here too. Have just lost taste and smell which is horrible. Was waiting to have an operation for something that could be fairly serious and now that's on hold. To say I'm fed up is a mild understatement. Hope you recover quickly and fully my friend.

I haven't gotten a chance to read all, but I am wondering if you got any updates from the vendor.

I don't know how to PM in PS, not even sure if it is allowed. But I just want to let you know, if you want to report to local authorities in Sri Lanka about this, I am willing to join you. In that case, I will need to know how I can share my contact info with you without disclose my personal contacts in here.

I don't know if it is an option you are still considering, nor if it even worth the time to do so. There are chances it wont work, but just want to throw it out here, in cause you need some one to back you up, and I am willing to.

I did hear from the vendor since my initial post. He said he'll send me the money in a couple of days. :rolleyes:

@cheegg Oh! And thank you so much for having my back!

I'm soooo tempted to notify local authorities or at least the licensing board over the privacy issue. I thought him sharing my contact and banking info was bad enough. But now it seems like he just shares everything to everyone willy-nilly.

For example, when I saw that earlier comment about how if I'm not satisfied with a GRS certified cornflower blue sapphire, then I probably won't be satisfied with anything.

I was getting all ready to respond when I realized, "Hol' up. How did they know it was certified as cornflower, let alone by GRS? I never mentioned it and this stone hasn't been posted on the vendor's IG. Maybe there's an innocent explanation to all this. But let's face it. The most obvious explanation is that he divulged it to a 3rd party.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@cheegg Oh! And thank you so much for having my back!

I'm soooo tempted to notify local authorities or at least the licensing board over the privacy issue. I thought him sharing my contact and banking info was bad enough. But now it seems like he just shares everything to everyone willy-nilly.

For example, when I saw that earlier comment about how if I'm not satisfied with a GRS certified cornflower blue sapphire, then I probably won't be satisfied with anything.

I was getting all ready to respond when I realized, "Hol' up. How did they know it was certified as cornflower, let alone by GRS? I never mentioned it and this stone hasn't been posted on the vendor's IG. Maybe there's an innocent explanation to all this. But let's face it. The most obvious explanation is that he divulged it to a 3rd party.
wow! :oops2: Seriously, something in the milk ain't clean.

fantapanda

Shiny_Rock
Oof, sorry for this whole experience @AnastasiaBeaverhausen! I hope you get your money back really soon. I was very close to buying a sapphire from CSG a few months back but he just felt very pushy in his messages, especially pushing me towards an oval when I expressly said I wanted a cushion.

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
I'm not sure how bank wire information is different from ACH information, but it seems to me that it's fairly straightforward to get the bank's routing number from the SWIFT code, and then with the routing number and bank account information, that's good enough to use the bank account to pay bills online.

You had claimed the worst someone could do with the info was to send money INTO the account. With the name and address, what's to stop the account holder's bank info from being used to pay someone else's bills? Or used to open a credit card in the account holder's name (in the US, you will also need a social security number, but I think the social security number is fairly hackable once you have the other info... I mean, someone would be able to scour something like Facebook to get the date of birth fairly easily if the social media account is active.)

There are controls in the bank to prevent that. If controls are so weak, we would ALL have lost money by now.

Let’s not fear monger.

20 years experience in financial services risk and controls…

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
But it does happen; I’ve gotten hit by ACH fraud on our checking account before and dealing with our bank to unwind it was an absolute nightmare.

Yes it does happen, but is a fairly low % of payment transactions. If fraud is that common, then the banks will all be in trouble.

As mentioned, there are controls (both visible and invisible to consumers) to prevent fraud.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
And Anastasia - if you’re not satisfied with he colour of a stone which has been certified as Cornflower Blue by GRS, the top lab in the coloured gemstone trade - at half the price you would pay in US, then I wonder what WOULD make you happy.

@cheegg

……..

Woah! So not only does Ionysis pay off some of this shady seller’s debt she also knows information about the stone that has NEVER been published on PS? Sorry Ionysis you’re most definitely bogus. You have links with this seller that go waaaay beyond the normal customer/seller relationship. You’ve somehow got PRIVATE information that is NONE of your business. @AnastasiaBeaverhausen please report this to the Moderators.

chroman

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Yes it does happen, but is a fairly low % of payment transactions. If fraud is that common, then the banks will all be in trouble.
Yup. In my case the fraud wasn’t the worst part - with the (growing) number of compromised details and the ease at which they are available, fraud is going to happen (watch your statements everyone!)

It was the institution’s handling of the case that was the issue. Their process totally broke down. They made Comcast customer service look good. Security controls are only half the battlle

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium

If one googles ‘Pricescope GRS cornflower’
The top results leads to threads discussing that GRS cornflower pretty much means not much. So I don’t see why that designation would give one blind reassurance. Difference in opinions of what ones likes to see in that color term , goes without saying.

The next part, I do want to preface with that I truly have the most empathy for your situation. I’m not saying this as trying to invalidate your feelings. At all.
I do think asking vendors ‘hey, what are the stats on that xx you just sold?’ is not uncommon.
Plenty of tidbits are shared by vendors to their customers about other customers conversations, purchases or projects.
Doesn’t make it ‘right’ and I’m sure there are huge variance of innocent to not so innocent reasons why done.
I just don’t think it’s uncommon that a vendor gets asked the stats of a sold item. Posted on vendors social media or not.
It was posted here.
Now- bringing up that info here in the way it was done and I’m assuming for the reason why - was inflammatory.

But again. Designation of cornflower from that lab doesn’t hold much certainty of what it means, to multiple PS’ers.

Last edited:
I do think asking vendors ‘hey, what are the stats on that xx you just sold?’ is not uncommon.
Plenty of tidbits are shared by vendors to their customers about other customers conversations, purchases or projects.
Doesn’t make it ‘right’ and I’m sure there are huge variance of innocent to not so innocent reasons why done.
I just don’t think it’s uncommon that a vendor gets asked the stats of a sold item. Posted on vendors social media or not.
It was posted here.
Now- bringing up that info here in the way it was done and I’m assuming for the reason why - was inflammatory.

Yeah.....except when I asked CeylonSapphireGems for his banking info so I could wire him my money, he simply sent me the receipt from a previous sale. Which, also included all of the client's personal info. So Spring Day and my experiences weren't a one-off.

And I can totally see someone asking a vendor, "I'm looking for something like this you've sold a while back. Do you have anything like that in your inventory right now?"

But to ask for that information and used in a way that could undermine my credibility, within a day after I've posted the pics here, doesn't look great either...

Oh, forgot to add:

It's natural to want to believe there's a benign explanation for one incident. But when there's this many and more?

Anyways, I worry I'm starting to sound like a conspiracy theorist at this point, lol. So I'll refrain from posting any more examples as proof.

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@AnastasiaBeaverhausen
I just realized I wasn’t that clear. :oops:
i meant to convey that I don’t think very many people (PS or otherwise) believe just because a GRS report states cornflower - that it provides a customer all they need to love the stone.
To say otherwise is not the norm - here on PS at least.

And simply asking a vendor the stats of a sold stone doesn’t in itself imply of a beyond normal relationship with a vendor. I think asking it isn’t uncommon.
I wasnt trying to belittle your events.

your individual scenario and all it involves is indeed unsavory and I would be very upset, too.

@AnastasiaBeaverhausen
I just realized I wasn’t that clear. :oops:
i meant to convey that I don’t think very many people (PS or otherwise) believe just because a GRS report states cornflower - that it provides a customer all they need to love the stone.
To say otherwise is not the norm - here on PS at least.

And simply asking a vendor the stats of a sold stone doesn’t in itself imply of a beyond normal relationship with a vendor. I think asking it isn’t uncommon.
I wasnt trying to belittle your events.

your individual scenario and all it involves is indeed unsavory and I would be very upset, too.

No worries! I try to think the best of people, too. I totally didn't read your previous post as questioning me. It was more like I was going back through all the excuses and broken promises he made. It's just, wow. There was a lot, wasn't there?

cheegg

Rough_Rock
Yeah.....except when I asked CeylonSapphireGems for his banking info so I could wire him my money, he simply sent me the receipt from a previous sale. Which, also included all of the client's personal info. So Spring Day and my experiences weren't a one-off.

And I can totally see someone asking a vendor, "I'm looking for something like this you've sold a while back. Do you have anything like that in your inventory right now?"

But to ask for that information and used in a way that could undermine my credibility, within a day after I've posted the pics here, doesn't look great either...

Same here. Initially he gave me his bank info, but when I asked for more info for the app I was using to wire money, he sent me a receipt from another sale...

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m sure I speak for 99% of the forum that this is one of the saddest, most upsetting and frustrating threads. As consumers we’ve probably all been bitten at some point but what you guys are going through, @AnastasiaBeaverhausen, @Spring Day and @cheegg is not typical and I hope it doesn’t put you off collecting gemstones. We’ve got your backs ladies. Sending hugs (sanitised first though) x

Welp, this was not the update I was hoping for.

Last time I posted, CeylonSapphireGems “promised” to have the money transfer done this past Monday.

Monday came and went. No money to be seen, not even a confirmation that a transfer had been initiated.

On Tuesday, I literally begged him to just use his black market exchange agent and put an end to this.

He responded by insisting to have other clients pay me instead. Once again, he claimed he is not purposely trying to withhold money from me and Spring Day. And then, he sent me a screenshot of him getting the remaining $2500 to "me" (because they thought they were giving the money to the person posting) as "proof."

Except the screenshot clearly shows the client who gave him the $2500 did so because and I quote, "At least it will stop her complaining and making trouble." :angryfire:

Seeing as how I continued to post about my experience before the vendor let the cat out of the bag, I doubt I’ll ever get my refund now.

So to summarize, I am out the thousands of dollars I sent him in the first place, plus hundreds more on custom fees and return shipping. I also have my banking info, personal email, phone number, and home address sent to folks from all over the world. And I don't even have a stone to show for it!

I guess all I can do for now is continue to check my bank account every day to see if money suddenly appears. But it's looking pretty bleak at this point.

Last edited:

LemonMoonLex

Ideal_Rock

Last time I posted, CeylonSapphireGems “promised” to have the money transfer done this past Monday.

Monday came and went. No money to be seen, not even a confirmation that a transfer had been initiated.

On Tuesday, I literally begged him to just use his black market exchange agent and put an end to this.

He responded by insisting to have other clients pay me instead. Once again, he claimed he is not purposely trying to withhold money from me and Spring Day. And then, he sent me a screenshot of him getting the remaining $2500 to "me" (because they thought they were giving the money to the person posting) as "proof."

Except the screenshot clearly shows the client who gave him the $2500 did so because and I quote, "At least it will stop her complaining and making trouble." :angryfire:

Seeing as how I continued to post about my experience before the vendor let the cat out of the bag, I doubt I’ll ever get my refund now.

So to summarize, I am out the thousands of dollars I sent him in the first place, plus hundreds more on custom fees and return shipping. I also have my banking info, personal email, phone number, and home address sent to folks from all over the world. And I don't even have a stone to show for it!

I guess all I can do for now is continue to check my bank account every day to see if money suddenly appears. But it's looking pretty bleak at this point.

This is awful.
I'm so sorry you're being put through this. He should never ever offer refunds. It's sad that a genuine issue that was caused by him is being used in a way to shame you for having normal frustration.

I will spread the word on IG to stay away from this man.

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock

Just beyond enraging. All of it. So, so sorry.

I wish I could buy you a row of tequila shots and piss and moan about how outrageous this vendor is TOO loudly for everyone to hear in the bar!

(Or you know, some other symbolic gesture of the ultimate eff you to make you feel even momentarily better…)

This is awful.
I'm so sorry you're being put through this. He should never ever offer refunds. It's sad that a genuine issue that was caused by him is being used in a way to shame you for having normal frustration.

I will spread the word on IG to stay away from this man.

Thanks, @LemonMoonLex.

What makes it sadder is I saw on another thread that he offered refunds to a couple other people in the past. I wonder what he would have done if those clients wanted their money back instead of another stone. And how many people has he done this to before??

Just beyond enraging. All of it. So, so sorry.

I wish I could buy you a row of tequila shots and piss and moan about how outrageous this vendor is TOO loudly for everyone to hear in the bar!

(Or you know, some other symbolic gesture of the ultimate eff you to make you feel even momentarily better…)

I guess if we went back to the '90s, we'd be posting about it on MySpace or LiveJournal :lol-2:

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ouch. I’m sorry that bit of info made its way to you @AnastasiaBeaverhausen Sorry because it adds even more frustration on your end.
But then ya know - maybe knowing it might feel a bit…..cleansing of your viewpoint too. If you think about it a certain way.
I still have hope that somehow you won’t be completely out your funds.

This also makes me think of the other times people have said on this forum ‘vendors aren’t your chummy best friends’ to keep their client’s snarky behavior on the down low.

Last edited:
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results