carat
color
clarity

Burma Blues at NSC

Sagebrush

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Kenny,

Interesting, I would be interested in other opinions on this as well.

Best,

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Richard W. Wise said:
Kenny,

Best,
Everyone with an armchair as an opinion but it may be hard to find the opinions of people like me who clicked out of your website when they learned that anything they'd be interest in had a secret price.

Customer are not the way you think they should be.
They are how they are.

Make more money; sell to people like me.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree with Kenny.

Seeing a price and a photo of a gem sometimes makes me want to buy the gem that normally I might assume would be out of my price range. Alternatively, a gem may be slightly out of my budget but I might stretch enough for the right one! Transparent pricing very much aids that process.

I'm a serious coloured gemstone buyer/collector of over 20 years but I will very rarely (because of time zones etc) approach a vendor to find out a price. I much prefer clarity up front.

I also agree with Kenny that I would always wonder if the price may be different depending on the buyer if it isn't transparent to all. It's off-putting.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
kenny said:
Richard W. Wise said:
Kenny,

Best,

Just be sure to find people who just abandoned their searches on site with secret prices because of this and returned to vendors with published prices.

Everyone has an armchair opinion . . . plus almost everyone at PS is too nice to say anything that's not nice.
I feel I am more helpful being honest and transparent

Kenny - I agree that this is the case on the diamond forums but if you search fairly recent threads I think you'll find that isn't the case on this part of the forum. There are a number of us who will critique a gem honestly irrespective of the vendor.

Sagebrush

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Kenny,

Yes, people sometimes do not give their honest opinion (we all like to avoid conflict) and for that reason I value yours and that is why I am asking for more input. This is really just a marketing issue, I am not insulted if people disagree. I would really like to hear the opinions of forum members. Pricescope is the savvy colored stone forum. Perhaps my approach is counterproductive though most of the stones that I sell, aside from the on sale gallery, do not have posted prices. .

Thanks for your input.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
I see both sides of this, but think you're being a bit paranoid Kenny.

From your side, as a consumer I do get it. I like to compare, do research, get ideas of what I can buy for my budget. It may not be an exact science, but post prices help. If there is a stone that doesn't have a price posted, I have to think a bit longer and a bit harder on whether it interests me enough to call the vendor.

Now, if I were to call the vendor and say, "I like X stone on your site, may I ask the price?" and he tells it to me, then I don't get your point. If he wants to know where I live, what I make, and what my budget is right off the bat, then I'll wonder about his motives. If I call, give me the price, end of story.

Also from a consumer's point of view, if I am going to spend a lot of money, I might be glad that a site isn't posting the prices. Some clients are very particular about talking money. A lot of us on PS know what's out there on our favorite vendor's sites. Some many not want people to know they paid $10,285 for something.

And I would think from the vendor's POV, they only have so much time in the day and a lot they need to do in it. If they want to qualify a sale and make a pitch, that's their prerogative. In fact,they may be wasting more time because they have to take phone calls to quote price vs customers quickly making that decision based on a published price. Anyway, If I don't like it, I'll won't work with them (which I think is your point Kenny). And I would think that if enough people called about a stone, and were quoted X price, and there were no takers, then the vendor could quietly lower the price without making it seem like it's on sale.

I have no problem with sales techniques. I'm a salesperson. But while there are "techniques," not everything that is not out there in the wide open is because there is underlying sneaky sales motive.

Aoife

Brilliant_Rock
Well, since an opinion was solicited:

I've been to the R. M. Wise website numerous times. There have been times I've visited when I was looking for a specific stone for a specific project, and I have never once called or contacted him to discuss a gemstone. The stones I've been interested in were over $5,000, but there is no clue as to how far over. And that's the problem, because I really don't want to waste Mr. Wise's and my own time if the gemstone I'm considering from his website is substantially over my budget. "Over 5k" is just a little too vague for me.

brandy_z28

Brilliant_Rock
I see both sides as well, but my way of thinking aligns with Kenny's. If I don't know the price of a gem I just assume that it's out of my price range and don't want to waste my time or the vendor's. What piques my interest is knowing that a gem that I've fallen in love with is either in my price range or close enough to seriously ponder. :???: That's what keeps me coming back to it and eventually thinking that I have to have it in my collection. I was very glad to see that John Dyer has started listing the prices of his gems on his site, low and behold he does have some nice ones in my "possible" range. I wouldn't ever have asked about them though. My point is probably moot though, as my gemstone budget doesn't even approach 5k so anything that I could afford would be listed on Mr Wise's site. The only way I could afford one that wasn't listed would be to hit the lotto and then I wouldn't be spending my "hard earned" cash on it. Presumptively I could then be more frivilous and not necessarily interested in finding the best price, moreso the best stone. :wink2: I like to know what I'm dealing with up front, to each their own.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
brandy_z28 said:
I see both sides as well, but my way of thinking aligns with Kenny's. If I don't know the price of a gem I just assume that it's out of my price range and don't want to waste my time or the vendor's. What piques my interest is knowing that a gem that I've fallen in love with is either in my price range or close enough to seriously ponder. :???: That's what keeps me coming back to it and eventually thinking that I have to have it in my collection. I was very glad to see that John Dyer has started listing the prices of his gems on his site, low and behold he does have some nice ones in my "possible" range. I wouldn't ever have asked about them though. My point is probably moot though, as my gemstone budget doesn't even approach 5k so anything that I could afford would be listed on Mr Wise's site. The only way I could afford one that wasn't listed would be to hit the lotto and then I wouldn't be spending my "hard earned" cash on it. Presumptively I could then be more frivilous and not necessarily interested in finding the best price, moreso the best stone. :wink2: I like to know what I'm dealing with up front, to each their own.

Kenny's point, from what I can see is not that the price isn't published, but because it's "secret" that it is not in fact a set price and would move depending on whatever factors float the boat of the vendor on that particular day. I see his point, because that certainly could be possible. But I also know I am not going to buy something without 1) being able to afford it, so they can bloat the price til the cows come home...it needs to be something I think is a fair price for what it is and, 2), I'm generally gonna haggle anyway...it's the Korean in me! :tongue:

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
btw, I wouldn't hesitate, if I really wanted something, to contact any reputable PS vendor with "secret" pricing. People on PS now are offline talking to each other. All it takes is a few people testing the waters, then coming back to PS and saying, X vendor gave us all X and Y and Z pricing on X stone! What a wanker! Might as well kiss your PS rep and business goodbye....

If you wanna do business here, you'd better act like you wanna do business here because PSers are a MOUTHY BUNCH. :lol:

Aoife

Brilliant_Rock
I wanted to add that I don't share some of Kenny's feelings about so-called "secret" pricing. My issue with it is not that the vendor might be inflating or discounting the prices as the mood took him. Not saying that couldn't happen, just saying that isn't my concern. What is the issue for me is that as a consumer a) my time is valuable, as I assume is the vendor's b) I very seldom live in the same time zone as the vendor c) I don't know how interested I am in a gem or anything else until I have an idea if my evaluation of its worth matches the asking price, and if that is a price I might be willing to pay. I very seldom fall in love with anything material without knowing if I can afford it. Life's too short to hanker after things you can't have.

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Richard W. Wise said:
Kenny,

Congratulations on your purchase.

Again, my prices are not "secret." the are simply not published on the internet. I have developed an entire grading system together with definitions to aid the consumer. I really don't follow your reasoning. Do you contend that comparing to images allows you to compare prices on two different gemstones? If so, as has been mentioned ad nauseum on this forum, you are buying the most photogenic stone not the best stone.

Some clients prefer not to telegraph their purchases and serious buyers always speak directly with vendors before spending serious money as I am sure you did with the company from whom you purchased your stone.

Best of luck,

Since you are soliciting opinion Mr Wise, could you please tell us why you decided to develop your own grading system and definitions to aid the consumer, as opposed to adopting one of the grading systems offered by one of the reputable labs.

How does your grading system differ from that of the major labs' and how does having yet another grading system serve to aid the consumer as opposed to confuse him further?

Nashville

Brilliant_Rock
Aoife said:
I wanted to add that I don't share some of Kenny's feelings about so-called "secret" pricing. My issue with it is not that the vendor might be inflating or discounting the prices as the mood took him. Not saying that couldn't happen, just saying that isn't my concern. What is the issue for me is that as a consumer a) my time is valuable, as I assume is the vendor's b) I very seldom live in the same time zone as the vendor c) I don't know how interested I am in a gem or anything else until I have an idea if my evaluation of its worth matches the asking price, and if that is a price I might be willing to pay. I very seldom fall in love with anything material without knowing if I can afford it. Life's too short to hanker after things you can't have.

I agree. I also feel very self conscious about calling about the prices for some reason. Since I'm not in the "Cost is no issue" category, it helps if I can browse, know what the cost is, and determine whether or not it fits budget and needs. If I had to call for pricing with every piece I'm interested in, I'd have probably scrapped my ideas long ago.

BUT on the other hand, I do understand that some people might not want what they paid being common knowledge,especially on a public forum such as this. I know that I tend to be a little secretive about vendors/prices and what I'm buying because it's a privacy issue. For instance, if I bought a Leon Mege setting and showed it to PSers, I wouldn't like if they could go to his site and see "Oh, her ring cost $12,000." (I know he doesn't post prices, it's just an example).

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Gailey said:
Richard W. Wise said:
Kenny,

Congratulations on your purchase.

Again, my prices are not "secret." the are simply not published on the internet. I have developed an entire grading system together with definitions to aid the consumer. I really don't follow your reasoning. Do you contend that comparing to images allows you to compare prices on two different gemstones? If so, as has been mentioned ad nauseum on this forum, you are buying the most photogenic stone not the best stone.

Some clients prefer not to telegraph their purchases and serious buyers always speak directly with vendors before spending serious money as I am sure you did with the company from whom you purchased your stone.

Best of luck,

Since you are soliciting opinion Mr Wise, could you please tell us why you decided to develop your own grading system and definitions to aid the consumer, as opposed to adopting one of the grading systems offered by one of the reputable labs.

How does your grading system differ from that of the major labs' and how does having yet another grading system serve to aid the consumer as opposed to confuse him further?

Gailey, I won't speak for Mr. Wise. But I'll say why I kind of like it. It's been awhile since I've actually checked out the site, so I'm going by memory here.

Richard has said (and as TL pointed out), that you pay for his eye. So if anyone is going to buy through Richard, that's no secret. Although in the end, it's the customer's eye that matters, I do think it's nice to get the opinion of someone who's seen a stone or two in his life.

So instead of saying, "yeah, that one is REEEEEEEEEEAL nice," the customer can see he's got a grading system of his own to grade what he's seeing compared to other stones he's seen in his experience, and it seems to be somewhat quantified (albeit it still seems subjective to me, but that's OK). He still offers the certification...I wouldn't buy from him if he only offered the Richard Wise scale of "Ooh ahh."

I like to read between the lines. I've haven't seen anything rated low on his site by his scale (probably because he doesn't buy them) but it's fun to see the comments when they're obviously very impressed/excited vs. "excellent color and cut."

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
TravelingGal said:
I like to read between the lines. I've haven't seen anything rated low on his site by his scale (probably because he doesn't buy them) but it's fun to see the comments when they're obviously very impressed/excited vs. "excellent color and cut."

Tgal,
I wouldn't say that. According to my eye (which doesn't account for much, I know :lol: ), I have seen some low quality gems on Richard Wise's site that I personally wouldn't buy, even if they were inexpensive. In all fairness to Richard Wise though, I think almost all vendors rate some of their merchandise higher than they truly are. You will rarely see someone say " here is a truly ugly gem." and I've seen those "made up" scales of color and quality, and even the GIA gemset, amped up for the purposes of selling on various vendor sites. That's not to say that Richard does that as well, but I will disagree that all his merchandise is great. I don't think any vendor has 100% great or high quality merchandise, even Harry Winston. He may have a lot of fine gems, but I'm sure there's some lower quality stuff too.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I totally disagree with in-house ratings (especially a self developed tool) for the following reasons:-

1. Grading is subjective and not objective
2. How many vendors actually give a stone they're trying to sell a poor rating?
3. It's confusing to those who don't understand coloured gemstones - why have so many different grading systems?

A few months ago, Richard had a colour change sapphire for sale. It was honestly reviewed and a few of us saw a lot of grey in the stone - that clearly didn't match the description or rating of the gem but was plain as day in the photos. To me, the gem wasn't a great specimen. Nice but not great. It certainly didn't match the price (which isn't disclosed on the website).

By the way, I find "quirky" descriptions actually more honest and intriguing. I can't recall who it was, but one vendor actually described a gem as "corpse coloured". Brilliant! Ed (from Wishfish) often has great descriptions too - some not so complimentary to his own stones.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
LovingDiamonds said:
I totally disagree with in-house ratings (especially a self developed tool) for the following reasons:-

3. It's confusing to those who don't understand coloured gemstones - why have so many different grading systems?

I agree LD. Which is why I wouldn't buy anything without a cert. And maybe a total noob would be confused as you point out. But I don't mind the grading, which I think is subjective because I like to see it for fun, if not anything else.

I haven't seen a "poor" rating on Richard's site, but have seen stones that haven't gotten a great rating...and I sort of read between the lines.

brandy_z28

Brilliant_Rock
TravelingGal said:
brandy_z28 said:

Kenny's point, from what I can see is not that the price isn't published, but because it's "secret" that it is not in fact a set price and would move depending on whatever factors float the boat of the vendor on that particular day. I see his point, because that certainly could be possible. But I also know I am not going to buy something without 1) being able to afford it, so they can bloat the price til the cows come home...it needs to be something I think is a fair price for what it is and, 2), I'm generally gonna haggle anyway...it's the Korean in me! :tongue:

I see that, it's just that I don't have that kind of cash to throw around so if a vendor wanted to know what he was dealing with when talking to me it'd be something along the lines of OMG she's going to try and talk me down so far that I'm almost giving it away. :lol: I can't speak for others but when we start talking thousands and tens of thousands of $, I start haggling. My husband leaves that to me. ;-) We just bought a boat two weeks ago, I got them to come down 25% off of the asking price. :bigsmile: Just back up your offer with comparables and their sale prices and seal the deal. Without comparables and their known prices that leaves anyone wanting to make a "deal" and shop around out. Apples vs oranges...anyway.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
TravelingGal said:
LovingDiamonds said:

I agree LD. Which is why I wouldn't buy anything without a cert. And maybe a total noob would be confused as you point out. But I don't mind the grading, which I think is subjective because I like to see it for fun, if not anything else.

I haven't seen a "poor" rating on Richard's site, but have seen stones that haven't gotten a great rating...and I sort of read between the lines.

Fully understand TGal - I was editing my post when you were posting I think. The problem I have is that I don't believe the rating system can be relied on (see my comment re the cc sapphire above). Also, for a noob it's utterly misleading. :(sad

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
LovingDiamonds said:
The problem I have is that I don't believe the rating system can be relied on (see my comment re the cc sapphire above). Also, for a noob it's utterly misleading. :(sad

As far as I'm concerned, a rating system, ANY rating system, is unreliable if it's not honestly and fairly adhered to, and that includes the GIA colored gem rating system.

Nashville

Brilliant_Rock
LD, I love the Wild Fish descriptions, I too find them honest.

I find myself browsing his site daily while on my pad hunt. I was reading his color report on one pad and he was like "It's wild!" :lol:

empress

Shiny_Rock
I have a myriad of replies to the current part of this discussion. I'll try not give them all... :naughty:

I've bought from Richard - sight unseen and with more than enough time to take my stone to an appraiser for review because we talked and he understood that I had to find someone qualified to look at the stone.. I've been to his store. I've contacted him about stones that did not have prices. I left nose prints on his display cases.

If you look at his site, it's no mystery that the stones without published prices are higher than the published prices. If you walk into a B&M store - there are pieces that do not have the prices visible - some places have no prices visible even for modestly priced pieces. How much higher? Well, gee, if it's Kashmir, probably a great deal more. If you've been doing your research you have a good idea the range the price should be if it's genuine. If you think you might get a "deal" from Richard - where he sells you a Kashmir sapphire that he thinks is from Madagascar and is priced accordingly - please.

The internet creates an exposure for a retailer - someone with an actual street presence - that newspapers and walk-ins don't create. I'm not sure that I would want to be advertising to the world every price of every item in my establishment. Just a thought here - as unlike Harry Winston that is located on Fifth Avenue with more than adequate police coverage - rural Massachusetts may just not be up to protecting all stores 24/7. (Read recently about a gem dealer mugged and robbed in Richmond, Virginia, that had been followed for some time...)

If I'm looking for house and I want 8 bedrooms and 8 bathrooms and a pool and guest house - I'm not going to go looking in Levittown. If you've done your homework - you know who Richard Wise is. I expect to get value from Richard, not a deal.

brandy_z28

Brilliant_Rock
empress said:
I expect to get value from Richard, not a deal.

I expect to get both.

dictionary.com

deal1    /dil/ Show Spelled [deel] Show IPA verb, dealt, deal·ing,
–noun
a bargain or arrangement for mutual advantage:

val·ue   /ˈvælyu/ Show Spelled [val-yoo] Show IPA noun, verb, -ued, -u·ing.
–noun
estimated or assigned worth;

Aoife

Brilliant_Rock
empress said:
If I'm looking for house and I want 8 bedrooms and 8 bathrooms and a pool and guest house - I'm not going to go looking in Levittown. If you've done your homework - you know who Richard Wise is. I expect to get value from Richard, not a deal.

And if I am looking for a house I can go on the local MLS and find the price and a list of the amenities that are included in that house. That may not be the price I pay...it may be too high and a lower offer may be accepted, but it is a starting place. Posting no price at all for a gemstone just indicates to me that my time might be spent more profitably elsewhere, since making a trip cross-country to press my nose against a display case is not something I do frequently. I respect and accept Mr. Wise's decision to not publish prices that are over 5k online. He probably doesn't need or miss my business. Why would he? But since he did ask for feedback, I offered my viewpoints.

Sagebrush

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Thanks everyone,

Let me try to answer some of the questions raised.

Grading systems: There is really only one objective system that is currently in use, AGL's Colorscan. I was trained in it back when Cap Beasley introduced it in the 1980s. In those days you could buy the set of quilted foils. Several systems were introduced, unfortunately due to the politics, no system was accepted. GIA now has a color description nomenclature system, not a grading system. My approach is an upgrade of AGL's approach adding the 4th C.

I find it interesting that one forum member who has never been to my office or seen my inventory can critique the quality of my gems simply by viewing images. Quite unfair and woefully inaccurate. The so-called gray color change sapphire is not gray at all, it is, in fact, exceptional, perhaps the best one you will ever see, but, of course, you have not seen it. The fact is, most of my stones are in the 9 of 10 category because that is what I buy. Images are images.

As for accuracy in grading, there is the buyer's eye and the seller's eye. I try to be accurate but I am no more free of prejudice than any one else.

The sourcing of rare and fine gemstones is hard work. Much of what has been said here boils down to a desire to have the whole world laid out and at your fingertips, a universal grading system, lab reports, comparative pricing, consistent photography. It's tough, but I enjoy the hunt and if you are just interested in an engagement ring for your fiance, no problem, soon there will be a Iphone app that will allow you to stand in a jewelry store and compare online prices and certificates while the jeweler is making his pitch. However, if you want an extraordinary color-change sapphire you are going to have to work harder. Laboratories are inconsistent, photos lie and there is no universal grading system.

In 2003 I published a book designed to help collectors understand how to look at and evaluate gemstones. Most of the criteria used to critique gems on this forum come directly from that book. In it I said, there are no shortcuts to connoisseurship, but isn't learning that half the fun?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Richard W. Wise said:
The fact is, most of my stones are in the 9 of 10 category because that is what I buy. Images are images.

Like the blue spinel at the bottom of this page?

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/blue-spinel.139870/#post-2513414#p2513414

I'm not saying you don't have beautiful gems Richard, but no one has 100% perfect material, not even you. If your stone isn't very grey, I suggest you get a better photographer (although you have stated he is one of the best there is). The one you're using isn't very good at representing color well. Photos are all we have to visually represent a gem online, and the grey is pretty obvious in the cc sapphire. I would also not say that all your gems are 9 and 10 for their species. You have some pretty washed out cuprians and if you're comparing them to Brazilian material, well, they are not a 9 or 10.

I have found that you are very generous with your grading on the saturation of your gems, and again, how are you making these judgments? You may have the training necessary to make those judgments, but that doesn't mean you're giving the correct judgments. For example, the AGL is extremely conservative when it comes to judging saturation, and I think they would be hard pressed to give all your gems an "Excellent" rating.

That doesn't mean you don't have some fine museum quality pieces, which I'm sure you do, but I think it's rather unrealistic to assume that every single gem in a vendor's inventory is supreme and paramount for the species. Just my opinion.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mr Wise, besides secret pricing another thing that turns me off is someone constantly mentionining the books that he/she writes.
It is like talking to a billboard.

We know you write books.
We know they are for sale.
The sig line is bad enough.
People make buying decisions based on funny things.
Impressions matter.

IMHO the goal here is not to be nice or to be mean.
The goal is getting good gems out.
These two things prevented you from doing that in one customer, me, so I'm sincerely trying to offer a service by speaking up.
Usually when one persons mentions something there is a couple more who think it too.

Sure people vary, and many are not put off by these two things.
But wouldn't it be nice to reach even more customers?

A couple months ago on Rocky Talk secret pricing was discussed and as a restult Leibish & Co. put prices on the vast majority of stones that used to be "call for price".
I certainly respect every business person's right to make their own calls but being aware of trends and noticing what others do may be Wise. ;-)

Sagebrush

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
TL,

Sorry, with apologies to VapidLapid I vehemently disagree, that image is not representative of the stone. I sitting here looking at it in north grading daylight and this image which is the image on the website is quite accurate, at least on my monitor.

In the universe of the possible in blue spinel, which, btw is how I grade, thus, a cuprian tourmaline is not graded as a Brazilian Paraiba. Check my explanations on grading on the site. This stone has a rich blue key color, I am grading HUE of the key color, the refracted color not the crystal which does have some gray.

The market is changing, however, I note a little 2.25 cushion which you say you stole, I agree, that lighter brighter hue is becoming the standard. It seems like the traditional sapphire look-alike standard is giving way the a highly saturated medium blue and dealers in Bangkok are charging more for that than the richer more sapphire like blue.

Best,

9601a_NW.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Richard,
Thank you for the clarifications. It is not my intention to be harsh to you or anyone as I find this an interesting discussion as well. However if I see inconsistencies, I appreciate an explanation and/or clarification. In using your method of grading, in comparson to AGL, I will provide the following example. I believe the AGL grades a paraiba (or sapphire, ruby, etc . . . ) not by origin, but on all possible ranges of tone and saturation for a particular hue (paraiba hues are blue, greenish blue, or bluish green), so when I see a high saturation rating on a paraiba on your site, I understood that to be within the entire set of paraiba throughout the world. If I am wrong about AGL, please let me know. That is my understanding from reading their site literature.

As for blue spinels, as I see it, overly dark in tone is never a good thing, and I can't imagine that ever being a trade preference, nor would I consider that "sapphire blue." However, as I am new to collecting spinels, I will defer to others.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Richard W. Wise said:
Thanks everyone,

Let me try to answer some of the questions raised.

Grading systems: There is really only one objective system that is currently in use, AGL's Colorscan. I was trained in it back when Cap Beasley introduced it in the 1980s. In those days you could buy the set of quilted foils. Several systems were introduced, unfortunately due to the politics, no system was accepted. GIA now has a color description nomenclature system, not a grading system. My approach is an upgrade of AGL's approach adding the 4th C.

I find it interesting that one forum member who has never been to my office or seen my inventory can critique the quality of my gems simply by viewing images. Quite unfair and woefully inaccurate. The so-called gray color change sapphire is not gray at all, it is, in fact, exceptional, perhaps the best one you will ever see, but, of course, you have not seen it. The fact is, most of my stones are in the 9 of 10 category because that is what I buy. Images are images.

As for accuracy in grading, there is the buyer's eye and the seller's eye. I try to be accurate but I am no more free of prejudice than any one else.

The sourcing of rare and fine gemstones is hard work. Much of what has been said here boils down to a desire to have the whole world laid out and at your fingertips, a universal grading system, lab reports, comparative pricing, consistent photography. It's tough, but I enjoy the hunt and if you are just interested in an engagement ring for your fiance, no problem, soon there will be a Iphone app that will allow you to stand in a jewelry store and compare online prices and certificates while the jeweler is making his pitch. However, if you want an extraordinary color-change sapphire you are going to have to work harder. Laboratories are inconsistent, photos lie and there is no universal grading system.

In 2003 I published a book designed to help collectors understand how to look at and evaluate gemstones. Most of the criteria used to critique gems on this forum come directly from that book. In it I said, there are no shortcuts to connoisseurship, but isn't learning that half the fun?

Presuming you mean me I find it interesting also that my opinion isn't valid but when you critique stones from an image it is? You may not see grey in your colour change sapphire but I do. You constantly tell us how you use the best photographer in the world to take images for you. So I really don't understand how they manage to photograph a stone that has no grey showing so much of it! I also struggle to correlate your grading of 9.8 to this particular gem. I have an extremely large collection of CC Sapphires and in my opinion, yours is too dark, extinct and the colour change is likely to be only to a very dark purple and unspectacular. So, I'm at a loss as to why this is a 9.8!

*Color:
Hue: 5.0
Saturation: 5.0
Tone: 5.0
*TOTAL COLOR RATING: 5.0
SCALE OF 1-5
*Cut:
Brilliance: 5.0
Proportions: 4.8
*Clarity: 5.0
*Crystal: 4.7
*TOTAL QUALITY RATING: 9.8

I also don't mean to be insulting but I find the constant references to "in the book I wrote ...." exceptionally nauseating. Your reputation precedes you and there is absolutely no need for this.

CC Sapphire face from Richard Wise.jpg

CC Sapphire from Richard Wise.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results