color
clarity

Burma Blues at NSC

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Harriet said:
TL,

1. The NSC's having committed unsavoury acts does not entail that their entire inventory is dross. I saw a stunning Kashmir that they had/have. Adducing Arnstein's behaviour as reason to boycott the company makes for a fallacious argument.

2. For the love of science, please stop scaremongering with respect to treatment. You recently raised the spectre that someone's blue sapphire (circa 1920s) was BE-diffused. The treatment was not even in existence then!

3. There are other reputable laboratories besides AGL. Gubelin is one.

Thank you.

1) Sure, they may not have a bad inventory, and I did say they have a large selection of sapphires. Personally, if you wish to deal with a company that has questionable practices, that is your opinion, I am just stating mine. I refuse to deal with them.

2) You're correct, diffusion was not around at that time, so she should still have it tested to make sure it's a natural sapphire.

3) Gueblin is not as compresensive as AGL. Compare them side by side for yourself. Gueblin and GRS, while both fine European labs, do not give me the scientific information I need to feel good about making a purchase worth several thousand dollars. Again, this is my opinion. No one has to follow it.

bgray

Brilliant_Rock
Harriet said:
bGray,
If you would like me to accompany you to the NSC to view the stone, I would be willing to do so. To pre-empt accusations of 'shilling,' I will not introduce you to my sources. I am happy lending my 'eye,' for what it is worth.

wow thanks--that would be great. how would we connect?

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
tourmaline_lover said:
Harriet said:
TL,

1. The NSC's having committed unsavoury acts does not entail that their entire inventory is dross. I saw a stunning Kashmir that they had/have. Adducing Arnstein's behaviour as reason to boycott the company makes for a fallacious argument.

2. For the love of science, please stop scaremongering with respect to treatment. You recently raised the spectre that someone's blue sapphire (circa 1920s) was BE-diffused. The treatment was not even in existence then!

Thank you.

1) Sure, they may not have a bad inventory, and I did say they have a large selection of sapphires. Personally, if you wish to deal with a company that has questionable practices, that is your opinion, I am just stating mine. I refuse to deal with them.

2) You're correct, diffusion was not around at that time, so she should still have it tested to make sure it's a natural sapphire.

3) Gueblin is not as compresensive as AGL. Compare them side by side for yourself. Gueblin and GRS, while both fine European labs, do not give me the scientific information I need to feel good about making a purchase worth several thousand dollars. Again, this is my opinion. No one has to follow it.

TL,

I am going to be straightforward. What you have written illustrates what I have to say. You state your "opinion(s)" as fact, rather than expressing them. You are not always accurate, but none of us are. However, your authoritative tone is misleading. In addition, when a member posts a potential or actual purchase, you respond with a series of tests that he or she "should" have conducted. Not only does this practice create negativity, it also insults the member's intelligence.

This is not an attack on your character, of which I have no idea. Rather, it is an observation of your actions on the board. Like Empress, I am not jonesing for a p*ssing match. I am writing in the hope that other members, especially newcomers, are not misled or discouraged. I will say no more on this issue, as I am not interested in having the last word.

H

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
bgray said:
Harriet said:
bGray,
If you would like me to accompany you to the NSC to view the stone, I would be willing to do so. To pre-empt accusations of 'shilling,' I will not introduce you to my sources. I am happy lending my 'eye,' for what it is worth.

wow thanks--that would be great. how would we connect?

We could meet on 47th just before your appointment. No worries, I need to drop off something at Leon's.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Harriet said:
tourmaline_lover said:
Harriet said:
TL,

Thank you.

TL,

I am going to be straightforward. What you have written illustrates what I have to say. You state your "opinion(s)" as fact, rather than expressing them. You are not always accurate, but none of us are. However, your authoritative tone is misleading. In addition, when a member posts a potential or actual purchase, you respond with a series of tests that he or she "should" have conducted. Not only does this practice create negativity, it also insults the member's intelligence.

This is not an attack on your character, of which I have no idea. Rather, it is an observation of your actions on the board. Like Empress, I am not jonesing for a p*ssing match. I am writing in the hope that other members, especially newcomers, are not misled or discouraged. I will say no more on this issue, as I am not interested in having the last word.

H

I am stating my opinion Harriet, you just don't like them. Many people on this board are novices, and should learn that sapphires are highly treated or synthesized or simulated gems, as well as rubies and emeralds. I get very disheartened on this board when I see someone spend or want to spend a fortune on a gem without doing the proper homework. I am not the only person who gives these "tests" as you call them, and I am grateful to people that do ask people the right questions, and make them realize the gem market is full of obstacles, deception and treatments, especially when spending a large amount of money on a gem. Your observation about me is yours, and I am not going to change my ways. This is not insulting people's intelligence as this is a consumer forum and people come here to learn on a daily basis. I try to help, and hopefully I have helped people save money, time and grief. If people do not like what I have to say, then they have the option of not listening or responding to my posts and threads. You have that option as well. ;))

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Nashville said:
Harriet said:
bGray,
If you would like me to accompany you to the NSC to view the stone, I would be willing to do so.

We should do a colored stone field trip :bigsmile:

To a museum, maybe.

Barrett

Ideal_Rock
kenny said:
MZ, you make good points.

I've expressed my opinion so it is bgray's call.
I've never subscribed to the "my thread" mentality, and I do not at all mind what everyone calls a threadjack.
I think of all threads as unfolding conversations that are just community property, but that's just me.
I know I'm in the minority.
Well said..bravo..no such thing as a thread jack..this is everyones site..no one has a right to there own thread without hearing what anyone else wants to say..thats why everyone has access to every thread...sure may get jumped on by PSer's fi you ain't sticking with the program..some of the best threads trailed off the original topic and turned out to be even better..well said Kenny

colormyworld

Brilliant_Rock
Buying small inexpensive stones on Ebay is one thing. Buying larger,top quality EXPENSIVE stones is a whole nuther ballgame and never is where the twain shall meet! :read:

sparkles

Brilliant_Rock
CMW - succinct and a "FACTUAL" opinion. :bigsmile:

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
wow, someone is having a really bad day and should take a deep breath or two or three......

kenny did NOT deserve the blast you just delivered, amethystguy. he offered his opinion re what would make a post more readable and you took it to a personal level. that may be ok in other forums you participate in, but it is not ok here.

mz

bgray

Brilliant_Rock
Sorry Kenny to muddle your thread --it just seemed so pertinent to my search --and the vendor in question--and I had just gone to NSC to look at some stones. I know you said you didn't mind-so thank you--but I do apologize. :))

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No problem bgray.
I also was looking at NSC and am interested in your search.
I'm looking forward to seeing what you buy; I'm sure it will be fantastic.

For me, I think I was expecting my search would be easy but now I see it will take some time.
Again, I'm fine with whatever comes up in a thread.
Everyone expresses themselves and makes their contribution.

Ella

Brilliant_Rock
Staff member
Premium
Please remember that personal attacks will not be tolerated and other actions will need to be taken. Keep the thread on topic.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
kenny said:
For me, I think I was expecting my search would be easy but now I see it will take some time.
Unfortunately this seems to be a common misconception among those who travel from the diamond forums into colored stones. It will take some time, but you'll learn a TON, you'll see a lot of stones and you'll have fun. Ultimately I think it is much more rewarding of an experience than picking out diamond specs and deciding between multiple stones that fall within those!

Good luck Kenny!

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
bgray said:
Sorry Kenny to muddle your thread --it just seemed so pertinent to my search --and the vendor in question--and I had just gone to NSC to look at some stones. I know you said you didn't mind-so thank you--but I do apologize. :))

bGray, have you identified a few candidates at the NSC?

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Harriet said:
bgray said:

bGray, have you identified a few candidates at the NSC?

Yes, I'm interested too.
Also since you visited NSC, what was your impression of the establishment?

elmo

Brilliant_Rock
Kenny, bgray, would one of you please call Richard and ask him what the 25%-off-through-July price is on his Sri Lankan 6.34 blue at http://rwwise.com/products/id|1082? I'd be surprised if it was more than the NSC stone that bgray posted. I guarantee you won't find one like it on ebay :bigsmile:. Pala had a couple of great stones until recently that would have worked (4 carat Madagascar stone with a Kashmir glow, 7 carat Sri Lankan blue) but both appear to have sold in the past week. Improving economy?

1082.1.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Elmo,
That is a fabulous sapphire that you’ve shown. From what we know about the sale (no return and serious buyers only), this one should be seen in person before making the commitment.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Elmo,

That's gorgeous!

I've been wondering about you. Hope all's well.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Chrono said:
Elmo,
That is a fabulous sapphire that you’ve shown. From what we know about the sale (no return and serious buyers only), this one should be seen in person before making the commitment.

i believe richard chimed in and stated that it is not an entirely "no return" on the sale stones.....but it had better be a really good reason which is substantiated by a lab.

however, i do think its a gorgeous stone but would also echo its time to get on the plane and go see it......

mz

elmo

Brilliant_Rock
I was looking for this the other day but missed this 7.13ct Sri Lankan stone, http://www.palagems.com/php/db_search.php?action=gemdetail&inventory_number=14737. Given the great description there I expect it looks about as nice as Richard's stone but the photography isn't quite as good. It also faces up larger by about a millimeter. I'd like to hear about pricing, haven't shopped stones like these for a couple of years.

14737.jpg

Lula

Ideal_Rock
Kenny -- thanks for starting this thread! I read the whole thread last night, and it was very helpful. As a newbie, I'd just like to say thanks for sticking your neck out and asking all these questions. Did you decide to put your sapphire hunt on hold and go with that gorgeous green diamond instead?

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks to all the great contributions here it's clear to me that locating and buying a special sapphire is very different than finding a diamond.
Right now I feel more comfortable pursuing natural fancy colored diamonds.

The fact that a FCD (of the same budget) will be much smaller is fine with me.
That seems to be a big reason most people don't consider them.
Actually the increased rarity of FCDs, both from nature and the marketplace, appeals to me.
I don't think many people have a green diamond like the one in my avatar.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Kenny, my thanks too for starting this thread & asking good questions -- and to everybody who chimed in. Very informative.

I would never have thought that was a diamond in your avatar, Kenny! Holy mackeral, what a color. What's its size? To this not-very-expert viewer, the cut is nice too.

--- Laurie

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
JewelFreak said:
Kenny, my thanks too for starting this thread & asking good questions -- and to everybody who chimed in. Very informative.

I would never have thought that was a diamond in your avatar, Kenny! Holy mackeral, what a color. What's its size? To this not-very-expert viewer, the cut is nice too.

--- Laurie

It is just a tiny thing, old mine cut or transitional cut.
Here's the thread about it. https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/green-or-blue.147273/

Sagebrush

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Kenny,

There is nothing "secret" about my pricing, I prefer dealing personally with clients on significant purchases, you just have to call and ask.

Best,

Richard

P. S. Stones not priced are over $5,000.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Richard W. Wise said:
Kenny,
There is nothing "secret" about my pricing, I prefer dealing personally with clients on significant purchases, you just have to call and ask.
Best,
Richard
P. S. Stones not priced are over $5,000.

No problem Mr. Wise.
You have a right to your policies and preferences, and so do I.

For me parting with a large sum of money is all about comfort level.
Is this thing worth the price?
If I feel it is I'll buy, if not I won't.
Sure, I may be wrong or ignorant but, as with any buyer, impressions and feelings are important, not just hard data.

Unpublished pricing violates my policy and preferences so I just dropped my 50 G over at a vendor that does list prices.
I suspect I'm not the only one who feels this way, though I may be the only one who speaks up since many people on PS only say nice things.

IMHO, published prices offer a higher comfort level for all the reasons I've outlined in this thread.
Secret (unpublished) price make me worry I may be privately quoted a price that's higher than the vendor would have published on the Internet.
I may be wrong, but there it is.
If you had published prices I might have bought a nice sapphire.

I'm probably not the first, or last, to take his money and run because of secret pricing.
Donning flame suit. ;(

Sagebrush

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Kenny,

Congratulations on your purchase.

Again, my prices are not "secret." the are simply not published on the internet. I have developed an entire grading system together with definitions to aid the consumer. I really don't follow your reasoning. Do you contend that comparing to images allows you to compare prices on two different gemstones? If so, as has been mentioned ad nauseum on this forum, you are buying the most photogenic stone not the best stone.

Some clients prefer not to telegraph their purchases and serious buyers always speak directly with vendors before spending serious money as I am sure you did with the company from whom you purchased your stone.

Best of luck,

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mr. Wise, nothing you wrote has anything to do with my main point, that published prices increases comfort level and unpublished priced decrease it.

Unpublished prices say, "Just trust me."
I trust you on technical matters, your reputation precedes you, but on price I want transparent published prices before I will proceed.

Just one opinion Mr. Wise.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results