shape
carat
color
clarity

Bulgari Trauma! Help me decide?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

surfgirl

Ideal_Rock
I''m with Fire Goddess and Deco...But I have to say something after reading this thread just now...I''m really surprised at the subtle jabs being handed out in terms of generalizing this board and the "pack mentality" people here supposedly have. I dont see this at all. Do some people lean towards trends like halos? Of course. And although they''re not for me, I have seen some stunning examples here on PS. Do some here prefer a thin band for their stone? Sure. Does everyone have rocks? No way. I''d say the majority here have stones in the 1ctw range. People just seem to remember the really large stones but I haven''t seen them be the norm here. As for this being a place where we''re all led around by a few "pack leaders"? I dont think so and I dont feel that way at all. Yes, there are some people who post many posts per day everyday. And that''s fine. There are some who post when a topic is interesting to them. And there are some who read, and dont post often if at all. But I''ve never seen or felt any one group or person trying to impose their opinions on a poster just because they themselves liked a specific design.

As for comments inferring that RBs are really the only stones to have? I dont see that at all. I mean, yes, there is a reason RBs are most popular. They are classic and they are supposed to be the one shape that brings out the best in a diamond''s visual properties. And I assume that''s why they are most popular the world over. But I originally came here to increase my knowledge of Asschers. And I''ve seen so many unique rings and settings. A recent 3 pear ring which I''ve never seen before, for example.

All this is to say that I dont think anyone who''s posted on this thread has anything but the best intentions for IG. She posted that she was really unsure about her ring and for most here, it''s not a style we''d select ourselves. But we dont all have the same rings so it''s not like we''re telling her she has to get a pave halo and that''s the only option. People have taken alot of time to post to IG, asking her what she likes and dislikes about her ring. I dont have anything invested in what ring she or anyone else chooses. I only hope she loves it as much as I love my ring. And that''s about all I wanted to say.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/14/2007 12:57:19 PM
Author: surfgirl
I''m with Fire Goddess and Deco...But I have to say something after reading this thread just now...I''m really surprised at the subtle jabs being handed out in terms of generalizing this board and the ''pack mentality'' people here supposedly have. I dont see this at all. Do some people lean towards trends like halos? Of course. And although they''re not for me, I have seen some stunning examples here on PS. Do some here prefer a thin band for their stone? Sure. Does everyone have rocks? No way. I''d say the majority here have stones in the 1ctw range. People just seem to remember the really large stones but I haven''t seen them be the norm here. As for this being a place where we''re all led around by a few ''pack leaders''? I dont think so and I dont feel that way at all. Yes, there are some people who post many posts per day everyday. And that''s fine. There are some who post when a topic is interesting to them. And there are some who read, and dont post often if at all. But I''ve never seen or felt any one group or person trying to impose their opinions on a poster just because they themselves liked a specific design.

As for comments inferring that RBs are really the only stones to have? I dont see that at all. I mean, yes, there is a reason RBs are most popular. They are classic and they are supposed to be the one shape that brings out the best in a diamond''s visual properties. And I assume that''s why they are most popular the world over. But I originally came here to increase my knowledge of Asschers. And I''ve seen so many unique rings and settings. A recent 3 pear ring which I''ve never seen before, for example.

All this is to say that I dont think anyone who''s posted on this thread has anything but the best intentions for IG. She posted that she was really unsure about her ring and for most here, it''s not a style we''d select ourselves. But we dont all have the same rings so it''s not like we''re telling her she has to get a pave halo and that''s the only option. People have taken alot of time to post to IG, asking her what she likes and dislikes about her ring. I dont have anything invested in what ring she or anyone else chooses. I only hope she loves it as much as I love my ring. And that''s about all I wanted to say.
I believe I said "lead the pack in trends". Or you could say trendsetters. Either one fits. I would not go so far as to claim there is a ''pack mentality'' as you have stated. The vocal majority of women here like thin dainty bands, usually of diamond melee, some with a halo, some without. (and I have never heard anyone ever say that all rings should be like that - it is just a personal preference) It is a trend, and there are those here who have set those trends by creating beautiful rings that others wanted to have for themselves as well. NOTHING wrong with that, but the ring that the op posted is NOT like those rings and shouldn''t be judged against them IMO because it is an entirely different style. I really can''t say I''ve met too many rings I didn''t like.... but I will say that I prefer variety and rings that go against trends just because they are more interesting relative to rings I''ve seen that are just slightly different from one another. I also like things that are funky and bold and outrageous and sometimes I think the board needs a little devil''s advocate to encourage diversity!

I saw no comments inferring rounds are the only stone to have, nor that only large stones are... I don''t even know what you were saying about large stones quite honestly LOL

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
I kind of like it, for a RHR. I would probably want something more simple for an e-ring.

Count me in with the few who like sturdier rings. My Jeff Cooper is solid. But it is definitely not the trend these days, with all the more delicate rings. However the ring reflects me, and I love it even though it is not en vogue.

As for the pave/halo thing...I have mentioned on PS before that I fell for the dazzle of them. I STILL think they are gorgeous. But like your man, TGuy REALLY didn''t like them, even calling it "gross." (I should mention here that TGuy isn''t exactly the epitome of refined taste.
3.gif
). He did want me to choose the ring because I am the one who has to wear it, but likewise, I decided to go with the original setting I liked because I also wanted the ring to reflect as something he would have chosen to give me.

I made the right choice for me. I like my ring more and more each day...if only because I just don''t get sick of looking at it. Casual or dressy, it goes with everything. Halos dazzle me a little less because I see them so much on PS now, but I will always think they are pretty (in fact, I did buy a David Yurman halo to satisfy my halo craving!)

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/14/2007 1:17:58 PM
Author: Cehrabehra
The vocal majority of women here like thin dainty bands, usually of diamond melee, some with a halo, some without. NOTHING wrong with that, but the ring that the op posted is NOT like those rings and shouldn''t be judged against them IMO because it is an entirely different style.
IMO, it HAS to be "judged against them" for the simple fact that Independent Girl''s former FAVORITE RING is the Tiffany Legacy ... a pave halo ring. It''s the DIRECT competitor.

I''m not even sure if "thin dainty bands" are overwhelmingly favored in people''s personal tastes -- it''s just that they seem a safe choice - in style - generally flattering to a variety of hand/stone shapes & sizes. (Not mine though!
1.gif
)

It''s possible that the "go w/ your gut"/ "think long & hard" advice is stemming from constant dissatisfaction we''re always hearing about. Re-thinking, re-sets, jealousy, shrinkage, didn''t-get-what-I-REALLY-wanted, 2nd guessing. It''s like STOP -- you''re HERE NOW -- think about it NOW before you end up where everyone else always seems to be.
3.gif

mara54

Shiny_Rock
I think the ring is very unique, and looks fine. If you love, it go for it. You are the one who will be wearing it. Good luck on whatever you do
35.gif

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/14/2007 4:44:39 PM
Author: decodelighted

Date: 5/14/2007 1:17:58 PM
Author: Cehrabehra
The vocal majority of women here like thin dainty bands, usually of diamond melee, some with a halo, some without. NOTHING wrong with that, but the ring that the op posted is NOT like those rings and shouldn''t be judged against them IMO because it is an entirely different style.
IMO, it HAS to be ''judged against them'' for the simple fact that Independent Girl''s former FAVORITE RING is the Tiffany Legacy ... a pave halo ring. It''s the DIRECT competitor.

I''m not even sure if ''thin dainty bands'' are overwhelmingly favored in people''s personal tastes -- it''s just that they seem a safe choice - in style - generally flattering to a variety of hand/stone shapes & sizes. (Not mine though!
1.gif
)

It''s possible that the ''go w/ your gut''/ ''think long & hard'' advice is stemming from constant dissatisfaction we''re always hearing about. Re-thinking, re-sets, jealousy, shrinkage, didn''t-get-what-I-REALLY-wanted, 2nd guessing. It''s like STOP -- you''re HERE NOW -- think about it NOW before you end up where everyone else always seems to be.
3.gif
all very, very good points deco - even the first one that disagreed with me ;-)

I know a lot of people who are fickle with all sorts of things.... I knew this guy years ago when dh was navy who bought 4 or 5 stereos in a month because he kept finding one he thought he''d like better but really, they all played music just fine!! Not worth the hassle LOL

I am the opposite.... I am fickle *before* I make a decision, I am a HORRIBLE decision maker, I admit it. I waffle, compare, doubt, switch, change, rethink.... it''s awful. But then once I get there whether it be with dedicated certainty or I''ve run out of time and flipped a coin - I tend to just accept "fate" and live with what I have, growing fonder and fonder in its familiarity and sentimentality. I couldn''t live with a ring that scratched me, but other than that I would get more and more sure of my choice as time went on. So, basically what you''re saying except I don''t just think, I yammer LOL! I love your ring deco...

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
I usually do not comment but l like this ring a lot, it does not look like frogs feet to me at all - it reminds me a splash on the still water, diamond's not sank yet
9.gif
...hmmm ladykemma, but i do admit i was a math geek

ETA: sank? sink? sanked? "me fail English? That's unpossible!"

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/14/2007 6:05:00 PM
Author: Pricescope
I usually do not comment but l like this ring a lot, it does not look like frogs feet to me at all - it reminds me a splash on the still water, diamond''s not sank yet
9.gif

ETA: sank? sink? sanked? ''me fail English? That''s unpossible!''
hehe sunk - isn''t english supposed to be one of the hardest languages to learn? spanish is so easy....

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/14/2007 6:23:32 PM
drowned
34.gif
it looks like ''splash''

jenna_g

Rough_Rock
I lurk often but rarely post, and I just wanted to toss in my 2 cents. I think it's a really great ring and I love how unique it is! I tend to love both classic and quirky designs when it comes to jewelry. The profile of that ring is just too cool. :)

I think you should step away from the board for a few days and just take some time to enjoy staring at it on your hand. Don't look at this board or other people's rings...just look at (what might be) your own ring. If you get excited just sitting in good lighting and staring at your hand, then it's probably the ring for you! (I still do, after 2 years of wearing my ring...and I didn't even pick it out for myself!) If you don't, or you are questioning your feelings about it, send it back. Your budget is actually very nice, and you could easily find the perfect stone and design your own "dream setting" to wear it in for the rest of your life. You could even design a ring that is similar to that one, but maybe including some traits that you feel this one lacks and excluding any traits you don't love.

Good luck with your decision, and don't let it cause any stress. If it is, send it back, and keep looking! The looking is half the fun anyway, right? ;-)

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
I usually do not comment but l like this ring a lot, it does not look like frogs feet to me at all - it reminds me a splash on the still water, diamond''s not sank yet
9.gif

Hahaha-that''s one of my fave Simpson''s quotes of all time!

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/14/2007 6:54:15 PM
Author: thing2of2

9.gif

Hahaha-that''s one of my fave Simpson''s quotes of all time!
oh man, did I miss a simpsons reference? don''t tell my husband LOL!

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/14/2007 7:24:35 PM
Author: FacetFire
Have you seen this setting? It reminds me of the Bulgari setting, yet it isn''t as bulky...

http://www.exceldiamonds.com/-Engagement-Rings-5/Exceldiamonds-4-Prong-Diamond-Engagement-Ring-Victory-Setting-in-White-Gold-647.html
ha - that''s the setting that''s very similar to what my ring looks like from the face at least, I swear I hadn''t seen this when I invisioned my ring, and the sides are different and this setting doesn''t have reflective bowl.... BUT the V overlapping the prongs is pretty much exactly what mine will be except that my prongs are a bit more independent. Still, every time I see this ring it makes me smile :) But I don''t think it is even remotely similar to the OP ring LOL!

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Indy Girl - I like your ring a lot. So much going for it. Your guy likes it. It''s different. It''s Bulgari. It will last. You can wear it everywhere. And I love what Cehra says about the shiny plat sides reflecting back light and being able to look through the body of the stone. My ring is set with lots of plat on the North and South sides, and I can see through the stone from East to West. In fact, I laugh to myself whenever I read a post about how people generally look at diamonds face up. I know I look through the side of my diamond much more, because of the setting and it just naturally turns that way when my hand is relaxed. So, I know that you will really enjoy that E color. And, you sound like a person who can wear something that is a bit different than the latest trend.

Now, I am a chemist turned actuary, and hubby is a phd in math. So we fit the science/technology pattern, too. I hope you keep the Bulgari.
30.gif
But, if you really hate it, for gosh sakes, find another ring.

oshinbreez

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 5/13/2007 8:30:19 PM
Author: Independent Gal
Yes, it''s true I''m a little unsure, but I do really dig the ring! I mentioned that I ''think I love it'' in my original post although I confess it didn''t hit me between the eyes like a 2.5 D ACA in a Leon setting would''ve... and I think my uncertainty is more along the lines of on the BrideWW board, when gals post some dresses they like and say ''Does this flatter me? Do you like this dress or that dress?''

It was my bad for using the word ''TRAUMA!'' I guess I was trying to be funny/melodramatic!
20.gif
Oops.

All of your feedback helps me keep a sense of perspective: do I love it partly because FF loves it? and it''s made me aware of its... unconventionality and the fact that it''s REALLY not everyone''s (hardly ANYONE''S?) taste. Plus, I like Lady Kemma''s insight that it''s partly the mathyness of it that appeals, not just the froggyfeetedness!

Most importantly, if I look through all the alternatives you guys have suggested and I love this more than the others, that''s sure to make me feel more certain!! And if I fidn one I love more, that''s great too.

I''ve been wearing it around as an RHR today and have to admit it is SERIOUSLY growing on me. Funnily enough, my relationship with this ring has echoed my relationship with FF. When I first met him, I found him really intense and wasn''t sure if I could handle him. But the more I got to know him, the more I saw his various wonderful and quirky features, and while he was sure I was the one IMMEDIATELY, I grew to love him over a couple of months and very much because of these wonderful and quirky features!

Anyway, that''s what 30 day return policies are for. I still have a couple of weeks to ''get to know'' the ring, and if, by then, I''m not IN LOVE with it (or at least, more in love with it), I promise you all that I won''t keep it! Or at least that I promise I won''t whine about it thereafter.
12.gif
If we can''t find anything we both love among your suggestions / other stuff on the various sites we''ve been haunting, there''s always new stuff on SP, and we could always just go with a solitaire or eternity band... for now!

Reading that you''ve been wearing the ring as a RHR kind of bothers me. There are rings I like as RHR, but wouldn''t want as an ering. I think the ring makes a nice RHR, but personally, I wouldn''t want it for an ering. Not meant to offend, just my opinion.

I found this, which I think looks similar but also more feminine. If you love it, keep it. You are the one that will be wearing it for a long time. Would you be able to look at your ring and be happy with it on your LEFT hand? Or would you always dream of something else?

Good luck in your decision.

togal

Shiny_Rock
I might as well throw in my two-cents here, albeit a bit late. It sounds like you're probably going to keep the ring anyway....but I just wanted to say that I really like it. It has a very substantial, yet sleek and curvacious look to it. What I really love, is the fact that your fiance is so happy with it. I really believe that men get as much pleasure our of our jewellery as we do, since they are usually the ones that purchase it, and get to enjoy looking at their lady wearing it. I think that should be a factor in your decision-making....but of course, you, most importantly, have to be happy with it. I think it's a lovely ring....and I especially like all of the things Sara mentioned about the high quality of this very solid-looking platinum setting. It's unique and different...and it's yours!

Independent Gal

Ideal_Rock
Wow! Where to start?! You guys are great. So helpful.

Oshinbreeze: I was only wearing it as an RHR for the ''test drive'' so that my doormen (who are pretty chummy), neighbours, etc wouldn''t say "HEY ARE YOU ENGAGED?!?!?" thus necessitating explanations! That was partly at FF''s request. If I decide to keep it, it will go back in the box, over to FF''s place and I won''t get to see it again until he pops the Q.

I LOVE Irina''s photoshop of the ring as a splash of water! Cool! (and refreshing!)

And I''m glad to hear that more people like it, mathy and otherwise.

And Sara''s info has really brought the ring to life! Wow.

And thanks to all of you for giving me cautions and suggestions. I went to get my Danburite set yestesrday and while I was looking at settings for that stone, thought seriously about this ring vs. more dainty things I was seeing. Nearly all my other rings are dainty and two are haloed. So I wonder if this makes the Bulgari ''different'' or makes it ''not match'' my other jewelery.

I''ll keep you posted!
35.gif

oshinbreez

Brilliant_Rock
I''m sorry. I was under the impression that you were engaged. Now I understand about wearing it on the right hand. Thanks for explaining.

Independent Gal

Ideal_Rock
Oh, I see! I was wondering why it was bothering you... I thought maybe I''d broken a taboo I wasn''t aware of? Now I get it too!
35.gif
I told FF he has to get my parents'' blessing before he can ask me, and we''re going to visit my dad for his birthday in mid-June, so we won''t be engaged before then. My guess is late June early July.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
When is D Day??? I really like that ring...I can''t wait to see what your decision will be.
2.gif

whenharrymetsally

Shiny_Rock
I definitely think it is unique its kinda cute!
21.gif
It may not be for everyone, but the thing of utmost importance is that you love it and its special to you
1.gif
. I think jenna_g has a good point tho. Stay away from the boards for a few days. Enjoy the ring on your finger and see how you feel about it!

Good luck and don''t let it stress you too much :)

oshinbreez

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 5/15/2007 3:01:26 PM
Author: Independent Gal
Oh, I see! I was wondering why it was bothering you... I thought maybe I''d broken a taboo I wasn''t aware of? Now I get it too!
35.gif
I told FF he has to get my parents'' blessing before he can ask me, and we''re going to visit my dad for his birthday in mid-June, so we won''t be engaged before then. My guess is late June early July.
I imagined that you were wearing it on your right hand because you didn''t want anyone to know it was your ering. My mind comes up with all kinds of weird ideas. I''m glad to hear that wasn''t the case. Are you wearing it on your left hand in the privacy of your apt?

togal

Shiny_Rock
I see that there is also a matching wedding band for this ring -- here is a picture. Once again, I think it''s an extremely lovely ring, especially with that E colored diamond!

corona band.jpg

risingsun

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/15/2007 3:51:13 PM
Author: togal
I see that there is also a matching wedding band for this ring -- here is a picture. Once again, I think it''s an extremely lovely ring, especially with that E colored diamond!
I was just on the Bulgari site and was going to post this very pic!! There are two other w-bands--with diamonds--that also are part of the Corona line. There are earrings and a necklace, too
2.gif
I like this ring. It is unusual, but beautifully designed and made. If you love it, you should keep it. Having an original Bulgari doesn''t hurt, either IMO
12.gif

Miscka

Brilliant_Rock
IG I have been watching this thread. I have to admit I wasn''t sure at first, but I really really like it. I think it looks good on your hand, and I love the band that matches! I think it would look cool and flowy alone if you ever needed.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
You know, I''ve been thinking this for a couple days, but there is something very michael bodanza (sp?) about this ring... the shape of the ring reminds me of facetfire''s and the prongs remind me a little of a couple of his other pieces....

erica k

Brilliant_Rock
I agree, there is something very Michael Bondanza about the Corona ring. It looks like it has a nice hefty weight to it along with those fluid lines. I''m still not the hugest fan of the prongs, but it''s definitely an improvement on the antique style.

I do, however, love the ring with the matching band(s). It looks great all by itself and works with the e-ring beautifully. I don''t think my short stubby fingers could handle all that metal, but it seems like the e-ring looks about right on your hand.

asscherisme

Ideal_Rock
edited since I see you decided to keep it :)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results