shape
carat
color
clarity

Bulgari Trauma! Help me decide?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Independent Gal

Ideal_Rock
Hi Folks,

Take a look at this pictures and then tell me: Should I keep this ring?! PLEASE be HONEST!

As I posted over in LIW, https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/i-cant-decide.62097/

... I'm having difficulty deciding how I feel about this ring. My FF is totally in love with it, and loves that it is also HIS taste, and that it has a certain personal significance for him. And I THINK I love it, but then I wonder if the setting is too substantial for my little hand? Or does the setting make the diamond look even smaller?

Note that we're on a super-tight budget, and honey doesn't want to just go the solitaire route (he says it's too boring). This ring is from Signed Pieces, so that made it affordable. We still have 3 weeks to return it if we decide it's not 'the one'.

Get comfy cause I took a crazy number of pics!

The stats:

Bulgari 'Corona' setting with .72 E VS1 stone, finger size 4.

bulgariA.jpg

Independent Gal

Ideal_Rock
The (fake) flower shot...

bulgariBflower.jpg

Independent Gal

Ideal_Rock
Dig the crown prongs... hence the name ''Corona'' I guess

crownview1.jpg

surfgirl

Ideal_Rock
Independent Gal, if I'm being really honest with you, the diamond gets a bit lost in that setting. It looks more metal than diamond, if you know what I mean. Was it purchased stone/setting separately or already made up? I'm sure the stone is lovely but it seems too buried into the metal...and the prongs are very big. It sort of looks like the design was intended to show off the setting, not the diamond, if that makes sense. Of course some people love that look but from your post I sense you're not totally in love with it, hence my total honesty on how it looks to me. Can you get it re-set in something that will show off the stone a bit more?

Independent Gal

Ideal_Rock
I also think they look a bit like froggy feets!

crownview2.jpg

Independent Gal

Ideal_Rock
I think it's actually a tension setting, which is cool. You can see the whole diamond suspended between the frog's toes (crown prongs?)

bulgari10side.jpg

Beeweaver

Shiny_Rock
I''m no expert, but I know what I like when I see it. For me, it is just too masculine of a setting and gets lost with all of the metal surrounding it. The prongs look HUGE as well. YOU need to be happy with the ring as YOU are wearing it. If FF liked it so much, why doesn''t he get a ring set like that for him to wear and let you choose something that you like - a bit more feminine and something that shows off the beauty of the stone more. Just my humble opinion. You asked for it, you got it. LOL!

oshinbreez

Brilliant_Rock
Well, I don''t care much for it either. It looks masculine to me also. Sorry. If you don''t mind my asking, what''s your budget? Maybe we can help you find something more to your liking.

SuzyQZ

Brilliant_Rock
OK, since you asked, I''ll give you my opinion. Remember, that''s all it is, just one person''s opinion so take it as that.

What YOU think/like is what matters most. For EVERY setting there will be those who like it and those who don''t. That''s what makes jewelry, and especially engagement rings, such a personal thing. If YOU like it, then that''s all that really matters.
So with that said, here goes... I don''t like the heavy prongs that turn into balls at the end. It''s too overpowering for the size of diamond. Also the scoops underneath the diamond are distracting and draw your attention away from the diamond instead of toward it.

I like heavy/substantial ring settings, but this one just doesn''t do it for me.

You seem unsure if you like it, which is why you are coming here to see if others share your opinion. My advice is since it''s exchangeable then you should talk it over with your fi and see if you can find something you BOTH love. Otherwise, I think the doubts you have now will turn into strong dislike later on down the line.

Just my 2 cents!

Independent Gal

Ideal_Rock
Surfgirl and Bee! Thanks for your honest answers. That''s what I''m after.

Surfgirl: he bought the ring in its current form from Signed Pieces, second hand. We''re on a SUPER tight budget and we could never afford this if it weren''t second hand. It wouldn''t make sense to re-set the diamond, since we could get a comparable diamond for less than the whole ring cost. (Bulgari''s prices might be even more inflated than Tiffany!)

ARGH! It''s times like this I wish I lived closer to my mom and my close friends so I could get their views. Thank heavens for you ladies, at least.

Independent Gal

Ideal_Rock
Thanks Oshin and Suzy! I actually like the setting and the prongs, but agree it might look better on a larger hand with a larger diamond. Hmmm. ARGH!

Well, since you're offering! let's see what kind of alternatives you ladies can come up with?

This was $4750 and that was... pushing the budget. If I absolutely loved it, we might be able to go up to $5000 if he let me help.

Some things to consider:

1) We both want something unique;
2) I like halos, he really, really doesn't.
3) I'm SERIOUSLY colour sensitive so don't want to go below an F at the lowest and would prefer D or E. Sadly, I'm one of those women who can EASILY tell the difference! Even set.

Any ideas?

oshinbreez

Brilliant_Rock
What about an antique engagement ring? one I think is pretty, not too sure about the SI2 grade, but might be worth a look. Here''s

tulip928

Brilliant_Rock
Find a setting you truly love, without having to question it. I would hope that your ff would want that for you, too. I have a feeling your dream ring is out there just waiting for you - just keep looking a little further!
17.gif

Oshinbreez: That'a gorgeous ring you found there! swoon
30.gif

SuzyQZ

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 5/12/2007 2:20:10 PM
Author: Independent Gal
Surfgirl and Bee! Thanks for your honest answers. That's what I'm after.

Surfgirl: he bought the ring in its current form from Signed Pieces, second hand. We're on a SUPER tight budget and we could never afford this if it weren't second hand. It wouldn't make sense to re-set the diamond, since we could get a comparable diamond for less than the whole ring cost. (Bulgari's prices might be even more inflated than Tiffany!)

ARGH! It's times like this I wish I lived closer to my mom and my close friends so I could get their views. Thank heavens for you ladies, at least.
OK, with this additional info you've provided my advice would be to get something you can afford that you like, even if it is smaller that your dream ring. There is always time for upgrades later on.

I have my original wedding ring that was a simple gold band with small diamonds, really more like chips. That is all we could afford when we got married. My husband upgraded later on but that first ring with the diamond chips is really special to me. It has great emotional significance and I treasure it and even wear it from time to time today. It always brings a smile to my face.

I guess what I'm saying (and taking such a long time to say it too!) is that you should get what you can afford and what you like for where you both are right now in your lives. Part of marriage is growing together, emotionally, financially and spiritually. The size of the ring/diamond is not the size of his heart. It seems like he loves you deeply and only wants your happiness.

Great advice from MrsSalvo as she says on her posts... A deal isn't a deal unless it's exactly what you want.

erica k

Brilliant_Rock
my ering also has a substantial amount of metal (pseudo tension with bar setting) and is only .52ctw. i also have a second ering with prominent post-like prongs that is 1.01ctw, but some times i feel like the smaller one looks almost as big because the stone has all that metal to reflect off of. so, no, i don''t think all that metal is necessarily a problem on your hand. BUT the shape of the ring seems more RHR than ering to me.

the diamond looks great, without knowing too much about the specs or having seen it in person. i think the prongs are a little much though in this case and overwhelm the stone. it seems that if you''re going to have a thick band, the design should be very clean and minimalist.

Po10472

Brilliant_Rock
From the tone of your post, you don''t like it and you''re trying to convince yourself so as to spare your FFs feelings and also keep to the budget. But lets be honest, its what you want that counts and you want something that you can ooohh and ahhh over when you stare down at your hand. That''s what makes it special. Why don''t you be brutally honest with your FF and take the advice from the folks on here and get a ring that you want within budget. If your FF loves it so much, get his wedding band made in that style, then both of you will be happy.

again, just my opinion.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
honestly, you've got a nice budget. I'd try to find a nice diamond and a setting YOU really love. You're the one that's going to be looking at it and seeing it 24/7. personally, I think the ring is too much metal for the stone but again, that's just my opinion too. Please don't settle for something you're not over the moon happy with, you'll regret and somewhere down the line you may end up paying more to get what you really should have just got in the first place. I have to remind myself of my tag line all the time: A deal is only a deal if you are getting exactly what you want!! from the sound of your post, this isn't what you really want, deal or not. Here's another way to put it. If it wasn't a consigned price, would you buy it at full price or look for something eles? I'm sure you can focus a lot of your budget on the stone and find a *non boring* solitaire setting that will be pleasing to both your and your FI.

Anastasia

Shiny_Rock
Honestly, I don''t care for it either. It is masculine looking to me.

You have a nice budget, I would look for something that you love, without question.

crown1

Brilliant_Rock
hi! i take you at your word that you are looking for other honest opinions. i am not fond of the prongs and the mounting does have a masculine look. the amount of metal is not what i think looks masculine but i have seen a similar style in a man''s ring. have your guy try it on his pinky and see what he thinks.

i think that maybe the bulgari name and the price are the driving force here. i think down the line you will wish that you got something more to your liking or waited until you had a larger budget. i would take the ladies offer to look for something in your price range and check those out before you commit.
1.gif

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
With your budget, you can get a 1 carat J/SI stone and a simple setting to change later to a more unique setting, maybe for a one year anniversary or something. I don''t know...whenever I have doubts, I usually regret buying something.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results