shape
carat
color
clarity

Bulgari Trauma! Help me decide?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Anastasia

Shiny_Rock
Date: 5/12/2007 3:00:57 PM
Author: kcoursolle
With your budget, you can get a 1 carat J/SI stone and a simple setting to change later to a more unique setting, maybe for a one year anniversary or something. I don''t know...whenever I have doubts, I usually regret buying something.
Well put kcoursolle!

Independent Gal - there should be no "trauma" involved with choosing your e-ring! I think you are letting your ff''s feelings about the ring influence you.

oshinbreez

Brilliant_Rock
There are quite a few diamonds in the .7 range F-SI1 in the search that are within your budget. As far as settings, the swan is pretty inexpensive. I think it would look gorgeous on your tiny fingers.

Dogmom

Shiny_Rock
Hon, you need something much more feminine for your lovely fingers. I''m sorry - this is just too masculine for my taste.

Whould FF go for a very simple temporary solitaire setting that could be changed when finances are not so tight? This would you to put the bulk of your budget in the stone.

I know you want him to like the ring, too, but YOU are the one wearing it for the rest of your life!

cara

Ideal_Rock
I don't care for the setting. It looks OK from top down, definitely a wide setting, but from the sides the prong/head thing looks bulbous. Definitely masculine. Reminds of some woman 'selma' who posted a man's pinky ring that her FI had given her after custom ordering it from a local artist and she was really trying to convince herself she liked it as it was non-returnable and her FI didn't get that it wasn't what she imagined a woman's engagement ring should look like.

Just from your tone in your post, I don't think you love it either - your just trying to convince yourself you like it.

Are you a high color/clarity fiend? If not, it doesn't make sense to throw your budget after an E/VS stone.

Someone's tag line here is roughly "its only a good deal if its exactly what you want" and I think that applies here. Frankly, at 5K I'd rather get largest sparkliest diamond I could from one of the ps vendors with a good tradeup policy and set it in a nice setting. Then upgrade later if desired.

If you are not an upgrader, than keep looking at antiques/signed pieces, etc., for something you really love.

ETA: Oh, I see you are a color fiend. OK then, evaluate whether or not THIS diamond is worth the whole ring price, and if it is, what budget do you have left over to get a setting you like? Not much. I second the vote for colorless SI stones!

surfgirl

Ideal_Rock
OK, after reading your latest post I''m getting the impression that your FI really likes that it is a "Bulgari" and he can afford a Bulgari for you. Is that a fair comment? I personally dont think it''s engagementy enough looking for you. It seems like you''d like something unique but more feminine perhaps? I agree that you should look into antique, vintage style, or contemporary style rings. And with nearly $5k in budget, I''m sure you can find something lovely with a new stone that''s in your color range. This just isn''t doing it for me. And I dont think it''s doing it for you either, which is why you''re questioning it. Talk to your guy and be honest. In the end, he should want you to love your ring! There are so many options and your budget isn''t tiny...So return that thing and enjoy the process of finding your dream ring, even if it''s your "dream for right now and I''ll upgrade someday later on ring"!

Independent Gal

Ideal_Rock
Thank you thank you thank you all for being so honest and helpful! You guys are super and I really appreciate your responses.

I actually like the ring a lot more than you guys do, but i''m just not SURE! Partly, my mom wears a really heave wedding band... much wider than this, so maybe I''m kind of used to that look?

But you''re right that if i was 100% sure I wouldn''t have asked, and that I''m partly being influenced by the fact that my FF is so excited about it.

Surfgirl: Actually, my guy could care LESS about it being Bulgari
3.gif
not sure he''d ever even heard of it before... although he does care about ''quality'' and because of the way he was raised, he associates that with solid old brands. So, the ''solid old brand'' thing appeals to him, but he''s not interested in the actual name. Now that we''ve learned a bit about the company, though, he does like that Bulgari is originally from Greece and has it''s HQ in Rome, two places that have a lot of personal significance for him, and he likes the ''mediterranean'' character of their designs.

I''m really not sure what to do. I wish he hadn''t just left for Europe on a three week work trip as it would be great to talk it over without help from SKYPE.
15.gif

As for antique rings, he LOVES art deco rings, and we''ve spent hours pouring over antique e-ring sites, but the thing is that he seems to navigate toward things which are really big and fussy and I want something with clean, modern lines, but not boring. So, this kind of seemed like the answer.

ARGH!

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
IG,

I actually like it, I think it''s pretty cool as far as rings go. BUT the diamond does get lost.

Just for some perspective, my diamond AND my ritani setting together was almost exactly that price...so there are plenty of options for you at that pricepoint that might be more delicate.

If you need to be convinced, you probably don''t love it.

fabcrab

Brilliant_Rock
To be honest I think the setting is way too overwhelming but I personally prefer dainty settings. Please don''t feel like you have to like something just because your SO absolutely loves it. And yes, erings are definitely one of those very touchy subjects. If I liked things like my DH I''d be into modifying my car, war movies, and fantasy novels
14.gif

A solitaire setting may be too boring to some but if that''s what you want then go for it. You''re the one wearing it.

angeline

Ideal_Rock
I love it! I don''t think it''s always about the diamond but it can be about the whole package. But then I''m not wearing it and if it was my e-ring I might feel differently. I thnkit looks stylish and different and stands out. But you might not be after that in an e-ring.

Sooooo... not sure what I''m saying ! I don''t think it looks masculine at all to me. I think it looks like a flower or a crown.

a

E B

Ideal_Rock

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'm not crazy about it, but more importantly, it seems like you're not in love with it, either. If you like clean, modern lines, how about getting a really well cut F/SI1 and putting it in a cool, simple tension setting? Or putting it in a nice, clean halo, like the one from Whiteflash or a Ritani?

I know you said your boyfriend isn't into halos, and I don't mean to sound like a brat, but you're the one wearing it, you know? His opinion should count a little since he's buying it, but since you're the one wearing it on a daily basis, in my opinion, you get the final say!

ETA: I really like the bezel setting EBree posted, too!

InlovewithJHK

Shiny_Rock
Here are some suggestions in your price range for unique rings:

http://antiqueengagementrings.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=1605
http://antiqueengagementrings.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=1683
http://www.faycullen.com/engagement_rings/800/d1124r1d.html
http://www.faycullen.com/engagement_rings/800/d520r4rd.html
http://www.faycullen.com/engagement_rings/800/d1020r6d.html
http://www.signedpieces.com/item.cfm?item_id=3763
http://www.signedpieces.com/item.cfm?item_id=5770

Good luck in your search!

dianne

Brilliant_Rock
IG, I''m sorry you aren''t totally in love with your ring. I hope you are able to make the right choice for yourself and your FF supports you.

On a humerous note...I laughed out loud when you said the prongs look like froggy feets...........lol...........they do!

EBree, Those are fabulous alternatives! I liked all of them!

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
I am all for wider bands but I do not like that setting (only b/c you asked!) However only *you* need to love it.

MWG

Brilliant_Rock
You need to be "mind clean" And if you are having doubts now, it will only get worse.

Get a ring that you want to "show off" and that makes you feel like a billion dollars!!!! You are worth it!!!!!

Just my opinion
MWG

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
I like it :)
I think it is cute AND handsome which can be difficult to bridge... and I *prefer* substantial rings over these dainty ones that are so popular now. I mean, they''re pretty - but I like substance. I like that the prongs are star set, I LOVE that you can see naked stone in 4 directions (and yes, you need thicker prongs to be able to do that without a basket!) and I of course absolutely adore the HUGE scintillation chamber aka sparkle trough under the stone! This thing is engineered to be a sparkle hog in the sun I bet!!!

I can see why most of the girls here don''t like it - it isn''t the epitome of fad by a long shot.... but I always give extra points for uniqueness and I suspect the engineering on this is superior to other rings both in terms of reflection and sturdiness for 4 prongs :)

Po10472

Brilliant_Rock
style="WIDTH: 99%; HEIGHT: 314px">Date: 5/12/2007 3:56:17 PM
Author: Independent Gal
Thank you thank you thank you all for being so honest and helpful! You guys are super and I really appreciate your responses.

I actually like the ring a lot more than you guys do, but i''m just not SURE! Partly, my mom wears a really heave wedding band... much wider than this, so maybe I''m kind of used to that look?

But you''re right that if i was 100% sure I wouldn''t have asked, and that I''m partly being influenced by the fact that my FF is so excited about it.

Surfgirl: Actually, my guy could care LESS about it being Bulgari
3.gif
not sure he''d ever even heard of it before... although he does care about ''quality'' and because of the way he was raised, he associates that with solid old brands. So, the ''solid old brand'' thing appeals to him, but he''s not interested in the actual name. Now that we''ve learned a bit about the company, though, he does like that Bulgari is originally from Greece and has it''s HQ in Rome, two places that have a lot of personal significance for him, and he likes the ''mediterranean'' character of their designs.

I''m really not sure what to do. I wish he hadn''t just left for Europe on a three week work trip as it would be great to talk it over without help from SKYPE.
15.gif

As for antique rings, he LOVES art deco rings, and we''ve spent hours pouring over antique e-ring sites, but the thing is that he seems to navigate toward things which are really big and fussy and I want something with clean, modern lines, but not boring. So, this kind of seemed like the answer.

ARGH!
You mentioned that he loves art deco rings, why don''t you look for either an asscher or emerald cut stone? You could quite easily get a nice stone and setting for your budget that would tick all the boxes.

some nice ones here http://www.thefacetscollection.com/search.cfm?item_category=FER&style_number_id=61

Independent Gal

Ideal_Rock
Thank you all for your SO HELPFUL suggestions and your honesty! I've passed along many of your ideas to FF via e-mail although given he'll be meeting up wtih his old drinking buddy in Athens this week, I doubt he'll be looking at them too soon
20.gif
I can just see it:

His friend: "Let's head out and get some beer!"
FF: "Beer? You can think about BEER when there are all these beautiful sparkly little engagement rings for us to look at on line?"

I think not.
3.gif
But when he gets to it, I'll be sure to let you know what he thinks. In the meantime, I've asked permission to wear it around for a couple of days on my right hand... take it for a test drive. I'm sure he'll say yes. That way, maybe i can show it to a few people in person and see how it feels.

Sara and Angeline: So glad I'm not the ONLY one who thinks it's a cool ring (even if I'm unsure)! I do think it's much prettier and daintier in person, and I'm pretty sure Sara is right that the engineering is top notch. It looks like fireworks in the sunshine, and preforms really well in most other lighting conditions I've tried.

Sara, teach me! What does 'star set' prongs mean? And I love the phrase 'scintillation chamber'. That sounds like a chamber I would like in my home. When we move, I'll have to make sure the realtor knows we'll be needing one of those.
31.gif

ladykemma

Ideal_Rock
it certainly reminds me of selma, who posted that her man bought her a signet ring.

i love it. i like the crown froggy feets. i like the sturdy quality. i like that it's different. and I would wear it as an engagement ring or as a right hand ring. i like the engineering of it.

is it platinum? i like it even more.

Independent Gal

Ideal_Rock
It''s most definitely platinum. And so shiny!

ladykemma

Ideal_Rock
it just screams "i am a high end" ring. classy classy classy. rich lady.

need a plain plain plain band to go with it. or no band at all.

Independent Gal

Ideal_Rock
Thanks Lady Kemma! I''m SO FAR from a rich lady. But I like to think I''m a little classy.
2.gif

Bulgari has three wedding bands to choose from that match it. One is a very thing (2mm?) plain platinum band, another has 5 small inset stones like the Tiffany etoile band, and the third has micro-pave.

If we decide to keep this ring, I''ll ask Bulgari to call them all in in my size and, since I''ll be actually engaged by then and not having to keep it ''under my hat'', I''ll bring a couple of friends to help me choose.

ladykemma

Ideal_Rock
curious i wonder if it''s appealing to the math/science people? because i can see the math/science in the setting.

BTW, the setting sets off the stone, IMO.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

My opinion? In one word, stunning. I''d wear it in a heartbeat. Good luck with your decision!

cheers--Sharon

Kit

Brilliant_Rock
Indy Gal,

Personally that ring is not my cup of tea. But the real point is, if you are not jumping up and down clapping your hands shouting "Ooh! Ooh!" when you have it on your finger, then it''s not the ring for you. When you close your eyes and envision your dream e-ring, what is it? More than likely, you cannot afford this vision as most of us here on PS can''t afford our dream rings. But try to think about what elements your dream ring has, and focus on those.

It''s nice that Bulgari has Greek and Rome ties, but...does that really matter? Or is it more important what it looks like to YOU? You''ll be the one wearing it after all. FI can get a Bulgari wb if he really likes the company.

My advice would be to get a stone from a vendor with an upgrade policy, seeing as you''re so color sensitive. Your budget is twice what mine was, but I actually prefer some warmth in my stone and am super happy with my I. Get a modestly sized D or E now and upgrade later. Pick out an e-ring setting that will allow you to change out the head to accomodate your upgrade. And get exactly what you will LOVE.

angeline

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/13/2007 10:38:52 AM
Author: ladykemma
curious i wonder if it''s appealing to the math/science people? because i can see the math/science in the setting.

BTW, the setting sets off the stone, IMO.

Interesting theory ladykemma. I''m one of the people that love it and my background is mathematical physics and computer science.

a

Independent Gal

Ideal_Rock
Lady Kemma''s theory IS pretty interesting. Although I''m not a scientist or mathematician, I have a background in logic (including mathematical logic) and my work now is very analytic. And isn''t Sara a (proto?)physicist?

Kit: Just to be clear, that Bulgari is Greek / Roman was an afterthought, not a determining factor of the choice! Surfgirl was wondering if the Bulgariness of the ring appealed to him, and aside from it being an ''old'' company, the only thing about it that mattered to him was more like "And hey! Cool! It''s Roman too!" If you know what I mean...

angeline

Ideal_Rock
I''m not sure how to word this and I certainly don''t want to offend anyone. I just feel that sometimes the overwhelming emphasis on PS is to maximize the size of the diamond whether through actually getting a bigger diamond, or thin thin bands or halos or whatever. I know I have/am doing that very same thing so it''s not like I don''t love a big rock!

I would just like to say that there are other looks than the rock on a thin band look. And this is one of them and I think it looks just fabulous and that it''s not always about making the diamond look bigger. Sometime the overall style and panache or whatever word fits is what the ring is about and I think that it is in this case.

imho

a

Diamond*Dana

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is not my style, but it certainly is not an awful looking ring. I would be interested to see what the wedding bands look like that are to match it.

As for you and FF...you are the one that has to wear the ring every day, not FF...he should be willing to spend the $$$, but you should be happy with the ring. Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results