shape
carat
color
clarity

Bored senseless... let's chat about upcoming projects.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here is an inspiration pic of a larger pair of earring jackets for my near 1cttw earth-mined diamond studs that my mum had them made for me when I was in my early teens (the dangle part of the earrings):

vintage-style-diamond-cluster-earrings-4_2_20-1-11462.jpg

The studs are bezel set measuring 6mm overall in diameter; and the design is a diamond flower cluster with an air gap/line, with no millgrain.

I have other earrings jackets in mind, however, this bigger pair will do for now.

DK :))

I can't wait to see that ring when it is finished Autumn in New England! I have a project going that seems to be on hold for now I guess since my jeweler can't seem to find a stone in the dimensions I need and without a window. Waiting for this stone is holding up the next project after that. I'm taking my Calla ring and removing the center diamond. I want to replace it with a charcoal/blackish spinel but that is proving to be darned near impossible so far. I then will use the diamond as a center for a new ruby pendant that is the inverse of my ruby ring. The petals will be rubies with tiny diamonds in between. Here is my Calla ring and ruby ring.

IMG_4858.JPG

IMG_4860.JPG

DSC_3686.JPG

That ruby ring is just something else... I am in love with the "star" design. :kiss2:

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Setting these jadeite into simple studs that can be worn with an existing existing jacket:

EC2D94DA-9403-4CED-A91D-5296F2C33702.jpeg

And a ruby ring and another rubellite ring, hopefully all in time for Chinese New Year

Omg can't wait to see them!!!! Haha I see you're not taking a Christmas break!!!!

cocotate

Rough_Rock
Received the cognac, amber, bronze, and olive diamonds today (for my brown zircon ring project). Suuuper beautiful for anyone considering them... so now we'll just see how the CAD goes with DK. I don't think he'll want to begin until next year. He's probably the busiest jeweler around, yet he never, ever discourages a project. That's good business, yes, but he's also just very accommodating and sweet.
Sorry if this was posted elsewhere, but where would be a good place to purchase diamonds or side stones for halos at good quality and cost?

Sorry if this was posted elsewhere, but where would be a good place to purchase diamonds or side stones for halos at good quality and cost?

I always leave it up to the jeweler to source white diamonds, but because I'm fussy with color, I prefer to find my own colored diamonds. Laura at Langerman is lovely to work with!! They're located in Belgium. I keep hoping she'll drop some chocolate in with my order... :lickout:

cocotate

Rough_Rock
I always leave it up to the jeweler to source white diamonds, but because I'm fussy with color, I prefer to find my own colored diamonds. Laura at Langerman is lovely to work with!! They're located in Belgium. I keep hoping she'll drop some chocolate in with my order... :lickout:

OK I suppose jewelers do get a better bargain and access than people trying to source diamonds outside of wholesale even with the eventual markup on custom work. I wasn't sure why you bought your colored stones yourself but your being picky was the prime motive over the cost. haha, I get it. Thanks, Autumn,

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
Omg can't wait to see them!!!! Haha I see you're not taking a Christmas break!!!!

Haha more like CNY break I guess. Wanted to set a few more things but Wriston said won’t be in time for CNY anyway (workshop closes over CNY) so no point sending in now.

OK I suppose jewelers do get a better bargain and access than people trying to source diamonds outside of wholesale even with the eventual markup on custom work. I wasn't sure why you bought your colored stones yourself but your being picky was the prime motive over the cost. haha, I get it. Thanks, Autumn,

Most of these jewelers are right in the heart of diamond districts (LA or NYC), so, yeah, they can source the white stones pretty readily and without much mark up. But I've found that jewelers really tend to pad the colored diamond purchases. So that's another consideration, but, really, I'm just anal about the color quality. :roll:

cocotate

Rough_Rock
Most of these jewelers are right in the heart of diamond districts (LA or NYC), so, yeah, they can source the white stones pretty readily and without much mark up. But I've found that jewelers really tend to pad the colored diamond purchases. So that's another consideration, but, really, I'm just anal about the color quality. :roll:

I totally understand, I'm very "anal" with diamonds myself except for eye-clean millies, and a cursed perfectionist. :geek2:

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Don't know what I m
Haha more like CNY break I guess. Wanted to set a few more things but Wriston said won’t be in time for CNY anyway (workshop closes over CNY) so no point sending in now.

Oooooo, not that I need any reason to get blings for myself, however, I can't remember treating myself to a piece of bling in honour of CNY - I usually treat myself to a nice meal.

May need to start another tradition!

DK :lol-2:

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
Don't know what I m

Oooooo, not that I need any reason to get blings for myself, however, I can't remember treating myself to a piece of bling in honour of CNY - I usually treat myself to a nice meal.

May need to start another tradition!

It’s sort of a tradition right? New clothes and… new bling? Hence red (ruby) and pink (rubellite) to go with the festive colours.

Ooh ear shots when you get them!!!

If I manage any good ear shots. Find them terribly hard. If not at least some pics in better lighting.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It’s sort of a tradition right? New clothes and… new bling? Hence red (ruby) and pink (rubellite) to go with the festive colours.

I guess so, however, as my birthday is in February, I tend not to buy myself a separate present CNY! However, I shall start to do that from now on!

CaseyLouLou

Brilliant_Rock
I have one very small project in the works. I purchased a very basic preowned setting (with ugly topaz) that should fit my barion cut blue zircon perfectly. I have been wanting to set it for ages but couldn’t find a setting and didn’t want to go custom because I will have to wear it carefully and not often. I think it will really look nice in this setting so I’m excited. The zircon is amazing and I have had it for a couple of years.

19512FED-2E26-458B-B217-608C20E58E86.jpeg
3E20F37A-A196-4C72-B0BE-4F90B21C2A4B.jpeg 1BFFCA9D-45AD-4C8D-B34B-61C51C1CD657.jpeg

The ring is finally finished! This is the biggest stone that I own at 3ct and I really love the simple setting for it since it’s already so sparkly. I normally like halos or lots of accent diamonds but this large stone is just perfect by itself.

07B17BF6-FF83-4412-9CE9-139C88A5274A.jpeg E3015DCC-94E4-4D90-82EE-738BEAB046C3.jpeg 2BB423AD-20EC-42CB-9271-F8AD6BD22E72.jpeg

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
The ring is finally finished! This is the biggest stone that I own at 3ct and I really love the simple setting for it since it’s already so sparkly. I normally like halos or lots of accent diamonds but this large stone is just perfect by itself.

07B17BF6-FF83-4412-9CE9-139C88A5274A.jpeg E3015DCC-94E4-4D90-82EE-738BEAB046C3.jpeg 2BB423AD-20EC-42CB-9271-F8AD6BD22E72.jpeg

That's a superhero, modern punk ring! It turned out really cool.

Last edited:

Isn't that just lovely... you have such an eye for "upcycling." It turned out splendidly. Kudos!!

toomuchB

Shiny_Rock
My hoop earring with a removable pendant is still in the works.

I could not quite find macles that were appealing enough to me at the right sizes, not even one, though I did see some beautiful larger ones. So I may go with a full reverse-set diamond halo. Depends on the cost (mockup below is outdated and excludes the hoop/pendant mechanism, but you get the idea).

mocku.jpg

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
My hoop earring with a removable pendant is still in the works.

I could not quite find macles that were appealing enough to me at the right sizes, not even one, though I did see some beautiful larger ones. So I may go with a full reverse-set diamond halo. Depends on the cost (mockup below is outdated and excludes the hoop/pendant mechanism, but you get the idea).

mocku.jpg

I actually did a bit of looky loo when you talked about this last time, as it's such an interesting concept. I couldn't find much of anything for 'fine' macles in smaller sizes either! I think an inverted diamond will have much the same effect and have seen some wonderful examples from designers, which makes me very hopeful that you'll end up loving the end result. Please let us know how that goes. It's just really cool. Basically, I'm going to want pictures! :lol:

toomuchB

Shiny_Rock
I actually did a bit of looky loo when you talked about this last time, as it's such an interesting concept. I couldn't find much of anything for 'fine' macles in smaller sizes either! I think an inverted diamond will have much the same effect and have seen some wonderful examples from designers, which makes me very hopeful that you'll end up loving the end result. Please let us know how that goes. It's just really cool. Basically, I'm going to want pictures! :lol:

I think I'll be happy with just reverse set diamonds. The project is a bit stagnant now while we figure the details out but yes, I'll share the process on my thread and end result for sure. I will probably need CAD help...

In the future I will set aside a healthier budget for a macle or a pair, rather than looking more and getting something 'good enough' just to force my original design.

I coincidentally just came across this partially faceted macle which I thought was a neat way to save the natural etchings. Account is @misfitdiamonds, I took a screenshot for those who wouldn't be able to access the link. It looks better in motion.
misfit.png

This was my inspiration for even thinking of using macles in the first place by the way, an 18+ct green diamond macle owned by Debeers - incredible!
5-awakening-lotus-high-jewellery-making-of_original_15687.jpg__1536x0_q75_crop-scale_subsampli...jpg

Last edited:

Ionysis

Brilliant_Rock
Ooh good thread!

I’ve got two on the bubble at the moment.

I wanted something to wear with my grandidierite ring (you know I’m obsessed with having at least two matching pieces to wear together - nothing can be orphaned!). I found a pair of TINY grandidierites and given I then had no budget left I decide to use a few cheapy apatites that I had in my box with them so I could go big. I already have little Paraiba studs which I could wear if I wanted that colour in an everyday size so I decided to go all out cocktail party on these ones. CADs below.

30624D51-3B80-4F62-9ED6-97C9A739FAF3.jpeg
They aren’t perfectly symmetrical but that doesn’t bother me at all - I like the vintage vibe.

I’ve also, very nervously, decided to check another item off my wish list - a proper eye catching three stone OEC. I always feel you can get away with bigger bling even in otherwise “non-blingy” situations if it looks like you inherited it LOL!

My budget isn’t very big for something of that magnitude so I’ve had to compromise a lot on clarity and colour.

I’ve found a set of K colour stones, 2.25ct centre and 0.7ct sides. The centre is an SI2 with plenty of grunge in the diagram on the cert (twining wisps here we come) but appears to be eye clean with a nice facet pattern. But for some reason I’m not picky at all about a bit of hair on old cuts the way I am on moderns.

This is the inspo - classic / basic two tone. I’m not sure yet whether to go for six prongs or eight on the centre. Any views would be much appreciated.

3B7F40E0-3D66-4DD8-84B2-13780A809E3C.png BA04F21E-1AE7-4404-B326-CC8BB1887744.png

PreRaphaelite

Ideal_Rock
Next project is to find a replacement for this star ruby in rose gold. I suspect it was a gentleman's ring but it fits me perfectly as a RHR. 68DFE8C0-BD10-48CA-B5A4-149EC6EC9697.jpeg

It does fluoresce bold bright true red but I’m traveling so I don’t have my black light with me. 47AF5E9B-EFE4-4A70-A0DE-4557375B8715.jpeg

My goal is to find either a rose cut galaxy diamond with attractive inclusions or an agate with some rose-coloured striations.
21873-182.18ct10.20x8.05x2.70mmOvalRosecut2_900x.jpg

il_340x270.4072029314_d1jc.jpg

The bezel need repair as well but I’m sure DK do a wonderful job.

Last edited:

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
Next project is to find a replacement for this star ruby in rose gold. I suspect it was a gentleman's ring but it fits me perfectly as a RHR. 68DFE8C0-BD10-48CA-B5A4-149EC6EC9697.jpeg

It does fluoresce bold bright true red but I’m traveling so I don’t have my black light with me. 47AF5E9B-EFE4-4A70-A0DE-4557375B8715.jpeg

My goal is to find either a rose cut galaxy diamond with attractive inclusions or an agate with some rose-coloured striations.
21873-182.18ct10.20x8.05x2.70mmOvalRosecut2_900x.jpg

il_340x270.4072029314_d1jc.jpg

The bezel need repair as well but I’m sure DK do a wonderful job.

Either one, love the idea.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results