shape
carat
color
clarity

Bored senseless... let's chat about upcoming projects.

toomuchB

Shiny_Rock
Small update on the purple garnets.

They mentioned the potential for silk, and it might be more than a negligible amount, but they cannot be sure until they cut. They very kindly offered to cut the pair with no expectation from me to buy them. Then they can give me all the details and I can see the finished result, and then decide.

Unfortunately they can't do one of their precision oval cuts due to the roughs not being deep enough, plus the oval precision cuts apparently tend to darken tone. So they'll be cut into standard ovals - still well-cut but will show the extinction I was worried about. We will see to what degree.

Here is one of their precision jobs (green tourmaline) vs their standard ovals (garnet).

Overall I am grateful for their honest communication on clarity and cut options, and the offer to cut without committing me to the purchase was an unexpected surprise.

FTs0040-1.jpg FTs0040-2.jpg

CAL007-2.jpg CAL005-5sss.jpg

Last edited:

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
saturday taking some 'new' necklaces that are ready to knot into the guy i found,
i may finally have something finished

josieKat

Shiny_Rock
I’m so excited - I’ve lurked over here for a long time and finally have this coming tomorrow. I’ve longed for a rhr in a bold simple Sholdt setting, and after thinking I’d want a Montana sapphire since I tend to prefer more muted blues with grey, I decided I didn’t like how many of them grey out tremendously in indoor lighting. I’d been staring at a gemfix sapphire for at least 6 months and finally pulled the trigger (only last week seeing @lovedogs linked it in another thread a couple of months ago - I was so relieved it was one someone else would pick even though I knew my own preference mattered most, but also glad it didn’t get purchased based on her link or I’d have missed out!). My wife’s favorite color is a saturated royal blue so this will also remind me of her (in addition to my ER of course). Sent it off to be set in Sholdt R379/Ava in 14k gold. IMG_4332.jpeg This is one of my glamour pics.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m so excited - I’ve lurked over here for a long time and finally have this coming tomorrow. I’ve longed for a rhr in a bold simple Sholdt setting, and after thinking I’d want a Montana sapphire since I tend to prefer more muted blues with grey, I decided I didn’t like how many of them grey out tremendously in indoor lighting. I’d been staring at a gemfix sapphire for at least 6 months and finally pulled the trigger (only last week seeing @lovedogs linked it in another thread a couple of months ago - I was so relieved it was one someone else would pick even though I knew my own preference mattered most, but also glad it didn’t get purchased based on her link or I’d have missed out!). My wife’s favorite color is a saturated royal blue so this will also remind me of her (in addition to my ER of course). Sent it off to be set in Sholdt R379/Ava in 14k gold. IMG_4332.jpeg This is one of my glamour pics.

LOVE IT!

josieKat

Shiny_Rock
I’m in love. Also this setting is sooo smooth and lovely. If I were ever to reset my three stone engagement ring I could imagine going to the three stone version of this. IMG_4343.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_4344.jpeg
    IMG_4344.jpeg
    81 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_4345.jpeg
    IMG_4345.jpeg
    123.4 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_4346.jpeg
    IMG_4346.jpeg
    149.7 KB · Views: 29

Mrsz1ppy

Brilliant_Rock
I’m in love. Also this setting is sooo smooth and lovely. If I were ever to reset my three stone engagement ring I could imagine going to the three stone version of this. IMG_4343.jpeg

Lovely, glowy blue!

PastryGirl

Shiny_Rock
Found a very cool rare stone called grandiderite and promptly ordered a 4.43 carat untreated pear. Not sure in the slightest how to set it. It’s a 7-7.5 on the MOHs scale so it’s good enough for jewelry. 8BE0BA90-7BA1-47AA-8F2C-7B1129AC4172.jpeg

Just learned something new, thank you!

PastryGirl

Shiny_Rock
So so excited for you! Can’t wait to see what you receive. The stones are so changeable. Glad you are intrigued by their mystery. Please please share.

While you wait, here’s my latest purple garnet (radiant cut by Jeff White—purchased preloved). Caysie’s glamour shot below. I’d say this stone is the moodiest of the lot and it appears to be consistently darker on one side. I never saw it loose—I bought it in a setting. So we will see how it performs when I have it in hand. Caysie said it was a lil camera shy ;-)

IMG_3724.jpeg

ETA: Here’s a pic in the old setting next to the old setting of the other grape garnet I purchased pre-loved. Not the best photo of each but you can kind of see how the larger stone (over 3 carats) looks next to the smaller in terms of darkness.

Gosh, I love this setting so much.

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium

That’s gorgeous!!
Is that the 1372 by chance? :love:

You chose a perfect setting for it - it looks wonderful. Enjoy it well!

josieKat

Shiny_Rock
That’s gorgeous!!
Is that the 1372 by chance? :love:

You chose a perfect setting for it - it looks wonderful. Enjoy it well!

Yes, that's the one! I've been eyeing it for months!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results