shape
carat
color
clarity

Attacked by neighbor''s rottweiler...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

larussel03

Brilliant_Rock
You could probably call the police department and ask where you may purchase pepper spray--some states might require a lisence for it...I know some do for mace, I''m not sure with pepper spray, I doubt it, but it''s good to check.

Or try ebay.

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
Mandarine,

Just wanted you to know I''m still thinking about you and to wish you much luck at the meeting.

~K

indecisive

Brilliant_Rock
Instead of pepper spray I would use Direct Stop. If you are really scared and have to use it quicly you could end up spraying your own eyes with pepper spray or have it blown back into your face. I hope things work out for you!

Direct Stop ® dog attack deterrent Spray is a highly effective, safe and humane way to deter aggressive dogs.

When tested with trained attack dogs, this revolutionary citronella formula was found to be just as effective as 10% pepper spray, yet without harmful side effects.

Carry this on walks to protect you and your dog from off-lead aggressive dogs in your neighborhood or at the dog park and prevent her from becoming afraid or aggressive towards dogs because of a bad experience.

Read customer comments

Spray canister comes with a belt clip and contains 12 one-second bursts of spray (can also be sprayed continuously for 12 seconds if needed) with a range of up to 10ft
http://www.petexpertise.com/item--Direct-Stop-Spray--directstop.html

Aloros

Brilliant_Rock
I just read through this entire thread.
6.gif
I am just so appalled that nothing has been done about the dog sooner. You''d really like to believe if you suffer a serious attack from a neighbor''s dog, that something will be done about it FAST so it doesn''t happen again. Instead, you''re having to jump through all these hoops to merely get the dog REMOVED! On top of that, your neighbors are being so unreasonable! Whatever happened to compassion and empathy? I have so much faith in people, but when I hear things like this, I feel that faith may be misplaced.

Hang in there, Mandarine. I know it must be really tough for you right now, especially not being able to feel safe in your own home. I''m wishing you the best of luck at that meeting tomorrow. Take care of yourself.

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Good luck at the HOA meeting...there should definitely be a clause in bylaws of these communities that if a pet viciously attacks someone in the complex, it must be removed. I mean, you have a right to feel safe on your own property!! It makes me so angry. I hope they are swayed by your pictures.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Mandarine, hubby didn't know where to buy it. As sweetpea suggested, I was going to say call the police and ask where to buy that or mace.

When I carry it in and out of places, I literally have it in my hand postioned in "shoot" mode, so I don't inadvertantly shoot myself.

HTH

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/23/2007 2:23:53 PM
Author: FireGoddess
Good luck at the HOA meeting...there should definitely be a clause in bylaws of these communities that if a pet viciously attacks someone in the complex, it must be removed. I mean, you have a right to feel safe on your own property!! It makes me so angry. I hope they are swayed by your pictures.
Ditto and good luck, thinking of you...

Mandarine

Ideal_Rock
Thank you all for your support and nice words
1.gif
...it means a lot to me! you guys are all great!
4.gif

So I''ve made arrangements with a good friend of mine to come and stay with me at my house until Friday (then my BF comes). I think having someone there will help me realize that I have no reason to be afraid (well, yes, afraid of the dog) but I have no reason to be nervous or feel that upset from seeing the neighbors because they''re the ones that should be cautious around me...not the other way around!

So hopefully being there a few days with people will help me feel better and enjoy my home!.

I will keep you guys updated!. Fingers crossed!!!! I really think they will feel more urgency to help me once they see that I''m sincerely asking for support because I fear for my own safety as well as the safety of others. I think seeing the pictures might also open their eyes a little more.

Thank you all!!!!

Hugs!

M~

DMBsGirl

Brilliant_Rock
oh my goodness, i am so sorry this happened and am glad that you will be okay. I sympathize with your dilemma because I too love animals. However, I think it is clear that this dog is out of control. Had it not been you, it would have been someone or something else. I don''t see how you would be able to live comfortably knowing that creature is so close, I would constantly be scared that it could happen again. Noone should have to live like that. You need to make sure this doesnt happen again and you should receive something for the pain and trauma this has caused you.
Best wishes for a super speedy recovery!

Shay37

Ideal_Rock
Mandarine, just a quick note to let you know I am thinking of you. Good luck at the homeowner''s assoc. meeting.
As far as the emotional, it just takes time. As far as the arm, healing will come. I never had plastic surgery on my arm. My attack happened 20 years ago, and my arm is not disfigured. It has scars, but my arm healed extremely well. Thank God. I was lucky that I had access to a military hospital and a full bird Colonel who was taking care of me in the surgery clinic. The emergency room for the first visit, not so much. I have rarely had an opportunity to hear someone with that rank dress down that many people at that volume in public.
9.gif
He was a wee bit upset with their care of my arm.
29.gif

How is the smoking going? Still good I hope. Do not let these people and their corresponding stupidity cause you fear. You will always be a bit leery of a large possibly dangerous dog. It goes with the aftermath of being attacked. You should not have to worry about ignorant people and their treating you like you did something wrong here. I like the person who said that if you had been attacked by a person, this whole thing would be a non-issue. The police would have been all over it and no suggestion could even be made or thought that you were somehow responsible.
29.gif

Please, please, please know that we are here for you and thinking of you and praying for you in this time. HUGS!!!!!

shay

ChargerGrrl

Ideal_Rock
Oh Hun, I''ve been MIA from PS for a few weeks and had no idea!

It sucks what you''re going thru. Feeling unsafe and like a prisioner in your own home is no way to live. Just remember that you have a RIGHT to a safe living situation, and take strength in the fact that a HUGE majority of people at the HOA meeting will be on your side. They have to be! Why would anyone want to live near a dangerous animal?

As far as the pepper spray, I took a self-defense class a couple of years ago and remember that the vendor they recommended was this one: http://www.protectionshoppe.com/home I have yet to buy some, so I cannot offer you any advice/tips on how to use it.

GOOD LUCK, girl!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/23/2007 4:20:11 PM
Author: Kaleigh

Date: 1/23/2007 2:23:53 PM
Author: FireGoddess
Ditto and good luck, thinking of you...
Hang in there Mandarine
35.gif

rainbowtrout

Ideal_Rock
Hi mandarine!

I was MIA for a few months as well and just read through this thread. I'm so sorry this is happening to you!

My dad's dog attacked my cousin once--because my cousin has sociopathic tendancies and had been torturing the dog for three weeks. My aunt decided not to press charges--but if she HAD, or even just asked us to, we STILL would have put Sake down. It's the responsible thing to do. These people are being cruel and ridiculous.

RE: what you can do to protect yourself. My dad's neighborhood is filled with stray dogs, coyotes, pit bulls etc. If I'm going out without one of our big dogs, my parents make me carry pepper spray and a baseball bat. Other people in the neighborhood do this as well.
You may spray yourself with pepper spray, but you are very unlikely to hit yourself with a baseball bat...

Mandarine

Ideal_Rock
Thank you Shay! . Thank you for sharing your personal story and letting me know about your arm. I guess I've never had any type of "serious" injury so I don't know what to expect (not even as a child...I was a very girly girl that didn't take too many chances of getting hurt...hehe). The bumps in the skin make me nervous but I know I have to give it time and hopefully after a year I won't see much more than a scar.

Also, I do continue to be smoke-free!!!
36.gif
. Don't ask me how. That day I went to my house I had to stop by the gas station and really did think about just buying some (what's one going to do, right?). Well, I didn't
36.gif
...instead I bought a bag of potato chips and ate it all!...haha (which I never do!) but I can get back into fitness mode later
2.gif
. How are you doing? You seem to be doing great so kudos!!!!!!
36.gif

Rainbowtrout, that was too funny about the baseball bat! hehe

Rainbowtrout, Chick-Lorelei, ChargerGrrl, DMBsgirl, Kaleigh, FireGoddess, Ellen, Aloros, Indecisive, Kimberly, Sweetpea and all others I'm missing (I know I'm missing a bunch!...sorry!)....Thank you. SO MUCH!....you all rock and keep me going!. Believe me, I have thought about backing down from pursuing this with the lawyer but reading your responses makes me realize I need to go through with this...all the way! like Cehrabehra said.

As much as I still can't believe this is actually happenned, you have all made this process so much bearable with your kind words, tips, advice and nice messages!!!....you keep me similing
9.gif

Tonight is the meeting!....I'll come update you all tomorrow....fingers crossed!!!!!!!!!!!
4.gif

Hugs,

M~

Mandarine

Ideal_Rock
29.gif
An update....
29.gif
39.gif

The HOA''s President just called. He was apologetic form the beginning. Apparently, the neighbor received the letter form the HOA asking them to remove the dog and she replied back with a voicemail.

In her voicemail she says that she is not removing the dog and they can''t make "legally" make her. She said that animal control surveyed the dog for a few days and called this an isolated incident caused because I "spooked" him. First of all, animal control did not survey the dog. The dog was quarantined in his own house...animal control saw the dog maybe 20 minutes when they gave them the citation. She also said she has witnesses that can verify I ran TOWARDS the dog and ended up face to face with him... WHATTTTTTTT ~!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!????????????????????????????????????
29.gif
29.gif
29.gif
29.gif
29.gif
29.gif
. I know I shouldn''t let this upset me because I know what the truth actually is. But are you kidding me???????. I went the other way to prevent running into the dog, I never made eye contact and I WAS WALKING. They were a good 20 feet away from me when she lost control of the leash (after I heard screaming and loud growling). I turned around and he was charging towards me...from far away. That''s what gave me time to turn around and cover my face!.

By the way, I also did find out through the HOA''s president that this lady is in fact a cop...she works for the Sheriff''s office (which was the same office that was supposed to give the police report to animal control....but never did)
38.gif

The HOA says legally they can''t do much....that I should take it up with animal control. I already know how useless animal control is....I''m so upset
29.gif
39.gif
39.gif

I''m still going to the meeting today, with pictures and all. I just can''t believe nobody can do anything and this lady is somehow turning all these events and all of the sudden she has a "witness"???. She wasn''t even home when this happened. My mom was however, and she was looking out the kitchen window how I took a shortcut and she wondered why I did that.

The nerve this woman has.....I''m sure she said a bunch of other things that this guy didn''t tell me because he saw how upset I was already getting....like I said, form the time he said hello he was apologetic. I know he feels bad for me..and I think he wants to help me but doesn''t know how.

To top it all of, I''ve done some background checking on these people...and it''s not pretty.
39.gif

I was supposed to leave over an hour ago....I just can''t bring myself to leaving!. I will go though...I have to go...

Please send good thoughts my way to keep me strong
15.gif

Hugs,

M~

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh Madarine, I am at a loss for words here!!! I am sooo sorry. I can''t believe she is lying like that, she wasn''t even home when it happened. I think when you go to the meeting you mention the initial police report and even have a copy of it so they will know she''s pulling a fast one on you. Your mom is a very important witness as well. Have you hired an attorney?? I''m sure the other''s will have much better advice, as I am stumped at this point.
29.gif
HUGE HUGS!!!!

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
M,

Has your lawyer filed court papers yet? If not, I''d push him to begin the process or do so yourself. I''ve forgotten where you stand with this, but I can''t imagine that a judge wouldn''t order an injunction to have the animal removed.

Mandarine

Ideal_Rock
Well...I do have a lawyer and we have started the paperwork, but they have 30 days (legally) to respond to the letters and to advice their insurance company, etc. These things take time...

I''m not sure my lawyer can do much to remove the dog, this is probably something that a judge would say ''animal control'' needs to handle. We''ll see though..I will ask him.

7.gif

M~

littlelysser

Brilliant_Rock
I am so sorry things are progressing this way with your nasty NASTY neighbors! That just stinks.

I do hope you continue to feel better!!!!

Kismet

Ideal_Rock
I haven''t read through all the posts and this may have been suggested before but have you considered bringing this story to the press and getting them on your side? It certainly sounds like the officer didn''t report the dog attack to animal control because it''s owned by a fellow police officer. It could possibly help getting the public at large on your side and force the police and/or animal control to do something.

Mandarine

Ideal_Rock
Thank you all!

Kismet,

Actually Mara''s DH did suggest that!...At the time I was hoping to not have to go that route. It''s now something I should actually consider seriously....

Thanks for the tip!

M~

RockDoc

Ideal_Rock
Call Ken Jenne''s Office - He is the head guy of the Broward Sherrif''s office.

Below are the numbers for the Director at Animal Control.

Speak to the Director, and let him or her know the potential conflict of interest, about this.

I''d suggest maybe having your attorney call them and SUGGEST that if nothing is done, you will contact the media. That usually gets results PRONTO!

Animal Care and Regulation Division 954-359-1313
1870 S.W. 39th St., Ft. Lauderdale, FL 33315 FAX 954-359-1349

TTY 954-359-1380

Lost and Found Line: 954-359-1313 Ext. 242

Director: 954-359-1311

Assistant Director: 954-359-1312

Division Secretary: 954-359-1313 Ext. 227

Office Manager: 954-359-1313 Ext. 233

Account Clerk: 954-359-1313 Ext. 225

Systems Analyst: 954-359-1313 Ext. 226

Marketing Manager: 954-359-1313 Ext. 237

Animal Care Supervisor/Field Operations: 954-359-1313 Ext. 232

Animal Care Supervisor/Kennel Operations: 954-359-1313 Ext. 243

Veterinarian: 954-359-1313 Ext. 234

Clinic Clerk: 954-359-1347

License Coordinator: 954-359-1319

Citation Clerk: 954-359-1313 Ext. 223

EMPLOYEE LOCATOR 954-359-1313

Hope this helps

Rockdoc

RockDoc

Ideal_Rock
Mandarine

Not sure if Animal Control is part of BSO.

But they are under the jurisdiction of the County Commissioners Office, if not both.

Rockdoc

Mandarine

Ideal_Rock
wow RockDoc! Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We''ve been leaving messages for Animal Control''s Director...but I think we''ll strat trying leaving messages for everyone ...hopefully someone will answer!

I''m asking my lawyer how he could get involved also...

Thanks again, that was very helpful!!!!!!

M~

RockDoc

Ideal_Rock
Mandarine

I''m not which district you''re in, but here''s the listing of the County Commissioners for Broward along with their phone numbers.........

COUNTY COMMISSIONERS 954-357-7000
115 S. Andrews Avenue, Room 421, Ft. Lauderdale, FL 33301-1872 FAX 954-357-7295

District No. 1: Ilene Lieberman 954-357-7001
Commissioners Aide: Desiree Barnes 954-357-7001
Administrative Coordinator: Sharon Kerbis 954-357-7001

District No. 2: Kristin D. Jacobs 954-357-7002
Commissioners Aide: Susan Olson 954-357-7002
Administrative Coordinator: Linda Krepel 954-357-5708

District No. 3: Stacy Ritter 954-357-7003
Commissioner''s Aide: Joe Sawin 954-357-7003

District No. 4: Ken Keechl 954-357-7004
Commissioner''s Aide: Kathy Singer 954-357-7004

District No. 5: Lois Wexler 954-357-7005
Commissioner''s Aide: Marilyn DeCosta 954-357-7005

District No. 6: Sue Gunzburger 954-357-7006
Commissioners Aide: Dee Platt 954-357-7006
Administrative Coordinator: Amy Rose 954-357-7341

District No. 7: John E. Rodstrom, Jr. 954-357-7007
Commissioners Aide: Susan Smith 954-357-7007
Administrative Coordinator: Patricia LaRaia 954-357-7097
Secretary: Chris Harrison 954-357-7097
Secretary: Felicia Holcomb 954-357-7097

District No. 8: Diana Wasserman-Rubin 954-357-7008
Commissioners Aide: Vicki Pearson 954-357-7008
Constituents'' Aide: Carolyn Hardy 954-357-7008
Administrative Coordinator: Patty Wiesler 954-357-7008

District No. 9: Josephus Eggelletion, Jr. 954-357-7009
Commissioners Aide: Cynthia Martin 954-357-5797
Administrative Assistant: Gwendolyn Hudson 954-357-7009

Public Information Manager: Kimberly Maroe 954-357-8053
Public Information Officer: Scott Medvin 954-357-6015

Hope this helps

Rockdoc

CaptAubrey

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/24/2007 11:52:57 AM
Author: Mandarine

We''ve been leaving messages for Animal Control''s Director...but I think we''ll strat trying leaving messages for everyone ...hopefully someone will answer!

I can''t stress enough that if you''re going to start playing this kind of hardball, you need to let your lawyer do the pitching.
2.gif
That''s what he''s being paid for--you don''t want to screw up your case because you aren''t familiar with the procedures that need to be followed. Plus, politicians respond much better to a calm, serious approach. Don''t give them a reason to dismiss you as a crackpot.

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/24/2007 11:21:25 AM
Well...I do have a lawyer and we have started the paperwork, but they have 30 days (legally) to respond to the letters and to advice their insurance company, etc. These things take time...

I''m not sure my lawyer can do much to remove the dog, this is probably something that a judge would say ''animal control'' needs to handle. We''ll see though..I will ask him.

7.gif

M~
I''m glad the papers have been filed. They absolutely do take time, I was just wondering if the ball was rolling.

I''m really sorry you are feeling so stuck. I can only imagine how frustrated you are. My continued sympathy to you.

RockDoc

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/24/2007 11:52:57 AM

Thanks again, that was very helpful!!!!!!

M~
Being somewhat local to you, I sort of know who to contact.

Everyone working in Broward has to answer to the County Commissioners.

Of course if that doesn''t work, then we go to the Governor''s Office....

then - Carmen Cafaro and Help Me Howard.

Your thanks is appreciated.....glad to be of any help with the situation.

Rockdoc

RockDoc

Ideal_Rock
Hi Capt.....

I agree with your advice of having Mandarine engage her attorney do the calling. That''s why I suggested it above...

Here in FL if you say the "wrong thing or say it the wrong way" you COULD end being charged with Extortion, particularly if it''s "threatening". Don''t know if that exists in your neck of the woods in CA, but I would imagine it could.

Hope you''re doing well, and always appreciate reading your posts.

Rockdoc

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results