shape
carat
color
clarity

Asscher cut - how to choose the best cut?

asschercut

Rough_Rock
Hmmm an Octavia CZ... Sounds like a good option... (Just kidding, or am I?)

Yoram was kind enough to upload a video of the 1.226 and I have also asked him about available 1.5cts. I'm still skeptical about whether I'd be able to stay reasonably within budget (also, if it's not made in North America, I have to factor in duty) but we'll see!

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Yoram was kind enough to upload a video of the 1.226 and I have also asked him about available 1.5cts. I'm still skeptical about whether I'd be able to stay reasonably within budget (also, if it's not made in North America, I have to factor in duty) but we'll see!

Yoram pays the international shipping. You pay for the diamond to go through customs. It’s a minimal charge (at least mine was: $30.00).
I had to complete a form, and send it in to the company he uses, internationally, and it’s an easy process.
Step 1: wire transfer to one of the banks Yoram provides.
Step 2: receipt of funds and shipment.
Step 3: receipt of tracking info (signature required)
Step 4: complete form (phone call will come from NY). You return the form via email.
Step 5: Pay Fee for Diamond to go through Customs (call comes from NY). You can pay by phone. Receipt comes via email.
Step 6: package arrives, you sign for it, you open the package, and you fall in love!
This process only took 5 Days from Wire Transfer to Receipt of Diamonds, for me.
If you need anymore info, let me know!
That Octavia is gorgeous...even in a dark room!!! **Drool** :lickout:

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Droooooooooool

That is so nice!!

Yoram's new antique-y asschers have me wavering over what my fantasy lottery win shopping list would include, but that video reaffirms my desire for an Octavia!

I think I'll have to get both, just to be sure :D

asschercut

Rough_Rock
So unfortunately, the 1.226 Octavia is the only one available from Yoram. That's a bit too small so we can now rule out the Octavia. I haven't heard back from the eBay seller so the RA is also ruled out until (or if) they respond with more details.

Visually, is there a difference between a 1.6ct vs 1.7ct Asscher, and between a 1.6ct and a 1.9ct? It's a difference of approx 0.3mm per side for the latter, which to me seems about the same. But a cost difference of a few thousand dollars.

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I did see the video and I loooooovvveeeeee it! I am sorry but the Octavia totally wins for me despite of its smaller size :love:

Just saw your later post that the Octavia is out (sad) I hope you find a suitable Asscher.

scarsmum

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
If you’re willing to move on color there are a couple of potential good cuts on JA, specifically a 1.64ct and a 2.01. Just checking; we’ll cut asschers are hen’s teeth. My understanding of g color is that it is generally indiscernible from e/f.

scarsmum

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Adding *well cut not we’ll cut! And both diamonds are G.

asschercut

Rough_Rock
I went to a jeweler and the difference between F and H was quite noticeable to me, so I wonder if I'd notice an F vs G. If we open up the search to G color, this 1.90 and the 1.91 suggested by Matthews1127 are probably among my current top contenders. But I'd prefer not to unless the consensus is that the existing D-F options really suck compared to whatever G we find. Cut is my priority, after all.

As always, I am happy to read about your thoughts and suggestions no matter what it is!

asschercut

Rough_Rock
I also like thicker windmills but I've found that looking for that has significantly narrowed my search results, so that factor has been more of a search refinement one. I like the 1.64ct, but it still doesn't seem to perform as well as the 1.78ct, or am I wrong? ($4,000 difference though - quite possibly enough for me to overlook the performance difference.)

For the 2.01, is it not a concern that there are four steps to the crown?

scarsmum

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I also like thicker windmills but I've found that looking for that has significantly narrowed my search results, so that factor has been more of a search refinement one. I like the 1.64ct, but it still doesn't seem to perform as well as the 1.78ct, or am I wrong? ($4,000 difference though - quite possibly enough for me to overlook the performance difference.)

For the 2.01, is it not a concern that there are four steps to the crown?
I can’t see the 1.78, have you placed it on hold? Re the 1.64 it seems to flash well when turning, I think it’s camera reflections causing the black. Four steps is just a normal cut variation. You may or may not like the result. I’m interested in more experienced peoples opinions of the 1.64. I really like what it’s doing; OP it reminds me of your avatar pic.

scarsmum

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Oops spoke to soon, I thought it was a four step pavillion. Not sure about the technicalities of a four step crown - experts? I do like the top of the diamond visually though.

asschercut

Rough_Rock
The 1.78ct was on hold but it is now released. I think I personally prefer a three-step crown, and I'd like to stick to VS+, but thank you for the 2.01ct suggestion regardless! =)2

Let's ignore everything about the rocks EXCEPT for cut and performance - PS, how would you rank the following options on a scale of 1-10?

JmeeMrie

Shiny_Rock
Premium
The 1.78ct was on hold but it is now released. I think I personally prefer a three-step crown, and I'd like to stick to VS+, but thank you for the 2.01ct suggestion regardless! =)2

Let's ignore everything about the rocks EXCEPT for cut and performance - PS, how would you rank the following options on a scale of 1-10?
The only one I really like is the 1.64. It has some nice contrast, patterns, and beautiful wide windmills.

scarsmum

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
It does have a 1.04 ratio, which I think works really well with some settings but may seem imperfect as a solitaire. I wear a 1.05 ratio and really like it but some like a square to be a square.

asschercut

Rough_Rock
If I get an Asscher, ratio shouldn't be much of a concern as I will be pairing it with trapezoid side stones.

JmeeMrie

Shiny_Rock
Premium
If I get an Asscher, ratio shouldn't be much of a concern as I will be pairing it with trapezoid side stones.
I wanted a square for my solitaire, but an elongated stone could actually suit that setting very well.. not that this one is very off.

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Top 2: 1.91 & 1.64. Great clarity, great contrast. 1.91 has a larger table than 1.64, but it’s still a beautiful stone, with an interesting facet pattern. 1.64 has a smaller table, with a similar facet pattern as 1.91. 1.91 has higher clarity grade, but lower color grade. It’s also closer to that 2.0ct Mark.
Basically, it’s going to come down to your preferences, and what your eyes are drawn to.
1.91 has a l x w ratio of 1.00:1. 1.64 l x w ratio is 1.03:1.
Tough decision.

asschercut

Rough_Rock
As much as I want to (and I'm trying!), I'm not seeing what makes the 1.91ct better over the 1.78ct - to me, it's the opposite. The 1.78ct has sharp contrast (of varying sizes) going all to the way to the middle of the table, whereas the 1.91ct only has a bit of blurry contrast and not much else going on in the table. I'm still far from an expert but the 1.78ct just looks so much more exciting (dare I say scintillating?) to me. The 1.64ct has decent flashes in the table though not as good as the 1.78ct, although it does have more movement in the windmills than the 1.78ct and tons in the crown overall. I want to find faults in the 1.78 like most of you have and I haven't been able to.

What am I getting wrong in my analysis? :confused:

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
As much as I want to (and I'm trying!), I'm not seeing what makes the 1.91ct better over the 1.78ct - to me, it's the opposite. The 1.78ct has sharp contrast (of varying sizes) going all to the way to the middle of the table, whereas the 1.91ct only has a bit of blurry contrast and not much else going on in the table. I'm still far from an expert but the 1.78ct just looks so much more exciting (dare I say scintillating?) to me. The 1.64ct has decent flashes in the table though not as good as the 1.78ct, although it does have more movement in the windmills than the 1.78ct and tons in the crown overall. I want to find faults in the 1.78 like most of you have and I haven't been able to.

The position of the stone makes it difficult (to me) to determine if the dark spots I see are due to the angle it’s sitting in the video, or if it’s leakage. The symmetry in the center throws me off, and I can’t tell if it’s the cut or the angle of its position.
Quite frankly, you need ASETs on your top 3 stones to determine if they are top performers. BN does not provide ASETs, to my knowledge. JA will send ASETs for 3 diamonds per email address.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I have to say, it doesn't often happen :razz: but in this instance I think I will disagree with @Matthews1127 and agree with you!

To my eyes the 1.78 looks like it has much 'sharper' reflections in the centre, with a good facet pattern and nice contrast between dark areas/obstruction and light areas, whereas the 1.91 does look a bit 'blurry' in the centre facets when face-on.

They both seem to 'window' a bit at extreme angles, but not to a great extent so should be fine.

I'm wondering if it's just a photography issue with the 1.91 - @kenny might be able to advise if shooting with a large aperture (F2 or something) would mean that the 'hall of mirrors' reflections in the centre facets would be out of focus while the actual exterior facets of the stone would be in focus (due to a shallow Depth of Field).

If so, it might be that they are similar in real-life but the 1.78 has been shot with a deeper DoF / higher F-stop number on the camera.

That said, I still prefer the contrast pattern of the 1.78 :D lol

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would only be interested in the 1.78 and the 1.64 (unless I could get some additional videos of the other stones that showed something different).
I dont like the lack of crispness in the middle of all the other stones.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nice detective work :D

Much better video - I still think it windows when it's facing about 75degrees to the right and left, though, and is it just me or are the P2(?) facets about halfway up in the centre not very bright/active??

I think it's a stone that might need to be evaluated in real life.

Either in real life, or via ASET. All of the preferred stones should be examined further, due to camera and diamond position/angle. There isn’t a single stone posted in this thread that I’d confidently choose, and purchase without further investigation for confirmation. But, that’s just me.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results