shape
carat
color
clarity

Asscher cut - how to choose the best cut?

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My SO wants a three-stone specifically, pretty much exactly like the 7.66ct that acebruin linked (and I bet she wants that size, too :razz:), so while the main stone's size won't be accentuated on all sides, the side stones may help.

The funny thing (to me) about an Octavia is that its performance rivals that of a round, but an emerald cut is typically not about the same type of performance - it's more lowkey and elegant. If I'm focused on brilliance and fire, why wouldn't I simply pick a round (notwithstanding the uniqueness of an Octavia)?

This diamond search is starting to drive me crazy.

That is what I said (no offense to Karl here who designed the octavia.)

But to me, after thinking about it, the Octavia is a sparkly and lively step cut-- it is still a step cut for step cut lovers.

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My SO wants a three-stone specifically, pretty much exactly like the 7.66ct that acebruin linked (and I bet she wants that size, too :razz:), so while the main stone's size won't be accentuated on all sides, the side stones may help.

The funny thing (to me) about an Octavia is that its performance rivals that of a round, but an emerald cut is typically not about the same type of performance - it's more lowkey and elegant. If I'm focused on brilliance and fire, why wouldn't I simply pick a round (notwithstanding the uniqueness of an Octavia)?

Because the Octavia is the best of both worlds. Unique, and beautiful. A “hybrid” in its own right. It’s a brilliant step cut diamond with so much personality. There are so few of them in existence. Who wouldn’t want something so rare? The Octavia is on my wish list. A LARGE Octavia for either an upgrade or a pendant. I’m a true step cut lover...and to not have an Octavia among my collection would be a Federal Crime....lol!!

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium

You don’t want to pick a round because your SO wants a square shape :)

That three stone ring design is gorgeous!

If you can talk to her about what your budget will buy in terms of Octavia diamond and if she is ok with that, then there will be nothing to worry about:)

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think that Octavia available now is too small. Seriously. I adore all of Yoram's stones (I have two diamonds cut by him already). If you are wanting to wait a few months to have one custom cut, then that's great. But I would not go under 1.5 cts in any asscher cut stone. The larger they are, the better you can appreciate the facet pattern.

In that scenario, you could get a 1.5 Octavia in a lower color and clarity than the one I sent you the link to for around the same price. So really, she needs to determine if waiting a few months for a very awesome, but smaller specialty cut appeals to her more than a regular asscher that is larger and higher color and clarity.

I need to go back and see the three stone ring you are thinking about, because side stones with an Octavia will be more difficult than an asscher. I will add this, though. I personally favor antique style stones so a regular asscher or Yoram's antique asschers, of course. I love Octavia's, but they are a more modern style cut.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, THAT three stone ring! Okay, that's a huge asscher with step cut traps. Those go together. I think you'd have to have the step cut traps custom cut more than likely, but I am not sure I'd like that with an Octavia as well.

scarsmum

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I think the royal asscher is a great deal even if you trash the setting. RA’s are cut in house and assessed according to their own system of cut precision. The brand is dependent on each diamond performing much the same so I wouldn’t worry about that. I would not write this one off; really. My local jeweler has a 2.5 carat RA for 60 grand!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would also pursue the RA over any of the JA or BN stones linked so far. It is likely to be better cut than any of those. And I'd offer less than asking price just for the stone.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love both! ...:love: IMG_2837.JPG IMG_2867.JPG IMG_2317.JPG IMG_2954.JPG

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I need to go back and see the three stone ring you are thinking about, because side stones with an Octavia will be more difficult than an asscher. I will add this, though. I personally favor antique style stones so a regular asscher or Yoram's antique asschers, of course. I love Octavia's, but they are a more modern style cut.
Yup, another style for OP to think about!...:dance:

acebruin

Brilliant_Rock
Don't worry about the VG symmetry grade. All RAs are cut in house as mentioned by their strict standards. I would honestly contact the seller and offer a lower price just for the stone lose. Why it's a great deal? I bought my RA back in 2006. I've known about them for over a decade. Trust me that price is a great deal. Don't believe us? You can verify.

- Contact Yoram and ask him how much would a 1.56 F VS1 Octavia cost you approximately.

- Separately, contact Royal Asscher company, and inquire about a 1.5 F VS1 Royal Asscher and ask them the price exactly.

Then compare the two prices with the eBay find. ;)2

Octavias will always face up smaller due to the specs. My brown Octavia is almost at 70% deep. It came out at just under 1.5 carats. During the cutting process from the rough I had the choice of getting it cut to an antique Asscher instead estimated at 1.85 carats. You can see how much more rough is needed to be polished away for an Octavia due to strict standards and measurements.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium

asschercut

Rough_Rock
In this thread, we've discussed cut quality extensively, which cannot be determined solely from the specs on paper - it's all from moving the diamond around and looking at how it performs. Assuming that I won't be able to get side-to-side pictures for the RA, can it really be assumed that it will still perform better than any standard Asscher from JA, BN, etc?

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Don't worry about the VG symmetry grade. All RAs are cut in house as mentioned by their strict standards. I would honestly contact the seller and offer a lower price just for the stone lose. Why it's a great deal? I bought my RA back in 2006. I've known about them for over a decade. Trust me that price is a great deal. Don't believe us? You can verify.

- Contact Yoram and ask him how much would a 1.56 F VS1 Octavia cost you approximately.

- Separately, contact Royal Asscher company, and inquire about a 1.5 F VS1 Royal Asscher and ask them the price exactly.

Then compare the two prices with the eBay find. ;)2

Octavias will always face up smaller due to the specs. My brown Octavia is almost at 70% deep. It came out at just under 1.5 carats. During the cutting process from the rough I had the choice of getting it cut to an antique Asscher instead estimated at 1.85 carats. You can see how much more rough is needed to be polished away for an Octavia due to strict standards and measurements.
acebruin, you recently posted some excellent videos of your Octavia - would there be any chance of posting some videos of the RA and the Octavia side-by-side in various lighting conditions? :)

acebruin

Brilliant_Rock
acebruin, you recently posted some excellent videos of your Octavia - would there be any chance of posting some videos of the RA and the Octavia side-by-side in various lighting conditions? :)

I'll try to do a video with Octavia and RA in different lightings.

acebruin

Brilliant_Rock

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Depends on how well cut each stone is, though! I'm sure Yoram's asschers can equal or exceed RA!;))

I’m biased, but I have to agree with this assumption! The 7 little beauties I have from Yoram are 7 of the most outstanding performers I have ever seen! :love:

JmeeMrie

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I think I prefer Yoram's asschers that I have seen to the RA as well, at least the one I considered buying.

acebruin

Brilliant_Rock
Depends on how well cut each stone is, though! I'm sure Yoram's asschers can equal or exceed RA!;))

I wouldn't put Yoram's work in the 'generic' bucket. ;)2 He does cut Octavia's. So he knows what angles and which facets work wonders. I'm not arguing against Yoram's asschers. I love his work as well. But we're talking about the best deals here. If OP doesn't care about money / budget, then by all means have Yoram do a custom cut.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@acebruin I was commenting specifically on your statement that more facets equals better light performance. But I certainly agree that a Royal Asscher will usually have better light performance than a generic regardless of number of facets.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
That is what I said (no offense to Karl here who designed the octavia.)

But to me, after thinking about it, the Octavia is a sparkly and lively step cut-- it is still a step cut for step cut lovers.
No offense taken.
While the brightness is said to rival a round by those that have seen it in person, the shape, the personality, the scintillation and the fire are totally different than a round.

Also the time line for a custom cut Octavia is not necessarily months.
It could be as short as a few weeks depending on rough availability and how backed up the grading lab is at the moment.

I greatly prefer to let my Octavia and those that own them speak for themselves but I could not resist this time.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No offense taken.
While the brightness is said to rival a round by those that have seen it in person, the shape, the personality, the scintillation and the fire are totally different than a round.

Also the time line for a custom cut Octavia is not necessarily months.
It could be as short as a few weeks depending on rough availability and how backed up the grading lab is at the moment.

I greatly prefer to let my Octavia and those that own them speak for themselves but I could not resist this time.

The Octavia Wink Cz really changed my thinking on it (seeing it in person). If the CZ is any indication, the Octavia is spectacular.

@Karl_K how do you think an Octavia would do for a pendant or earrings?

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
The Octavia Wink Cz really changed my thinking on it. If the CZ is any indication, the Octavia is spectacular.

@Karl_K how do you think an Octavia would do for a pendant or earrings?

The cz version while it was awesome in its own right, the diamond version is more so.
It would be awesome in earrings and pendants, throw fire across the room in the right lighting.

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The cz version while it was awesome in its own right, the diamond version is more so.
It would be awesome in earrings and pendants, throw fire across the room in the right lighting.

My dream pendant: 3+ct Octavia set by DbL, CvB_ID or VC in white or rose gold 16-18” length chain.
Keep an eye out, in the future, for emails from me, @Karl_K!!!! :mrgreen2:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results