shape
carat
color
clarity

Asscher cut - how to choose the best cut?

asschercut

Rough_Rock
Thanks, Jimmianne. Too bad the 2.01ct is a G-color and it's over budget so I can't consider it. I see what you mean about the cut, though.

The 1.65ct looks to be the consensus pick and I will inquire about whether the stone is 100% eye-clean - if it was VS1 or higher I would assume so, but VS2 can be sketchy...

Last edited:

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Asschercut, yeh, I thought it’s over budget, AND a G but one never knows!
I recently ended up with an over budget G,
surprised myself lol

I an crossing fingers for you that the 1.65 looks good, inclusion wise.

asschercut

Rough_Rock
A local jeweler connection of mine wasn't able to find any of the three options I've been considering (1.65, 1.78, 1.80 - don't really want the 1.82 after all) so either he doesn't have the right connections with Blue Nile's suppliers or they are all sold. If it's the latter, I will stand on my balcony and scream because I would have wasted so many hours reviewing hundreds of stones only to settle on a handful that aren't even available.

scarsmum

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Why don’t you buy from blue nile?

asschercut

Rough_Rock
I can get a better price elsewhere.

oneam

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Is it just me or is this 1.65ct very peculiar?

It's got an excellent octagonal shape (probably the best I've seen yet), a tiny table of 56%, and great scintillation (though admittedly, not much going on at the north and south sides). But there's no GIA report and the symmetry is only graded as "good". Medium fluorescence is something to keep in mind.

No! It's gorgeous. I still have the link saved from when I was asscher shopping this fall. Medium Fl will be fine. They have a good return policy. I did end up w/ a Royal Asscher, and I think this one gives it a run for its money - if it hadn't been outside my budget, you wouldn't be considering it at all :)

oneam

Shiny_Rock
Premium
A local jeweler connection of mine wasn't able to find any of the three options I've been considering (1.65, 1.78, 1.80 - don't really want the 1.82 after all) so either he doesn't have the right connections with Blue Nile's suppliers or they are all sold. If it's the latter, I will stand on my balcony and scream because I would have wasted so many hours reviewing hundreds of stones only to settle on a handful that aren't even available.
The 1.65 is likely in-house at BN, since they have an actual photo. There is a GIA cert, but it's not attached - you can request that. In regards to pricing, unless your local b&m is giving you a nice discount, you probably can't do much better in price. They also have a setting similar to what you want, but it seems kind of pricy at $5k.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results