shape
carat
color
clarity

Asscher cut - how to choose the best cut?

asschercut

Rough_Rock
I am in the market for an Asscher cut, 1.49-2.00ct, D-F, FL-VS1, with excellent polish/symmetry and none to faint fluorescence, and all within $15,000. Given that another user has posted a thread about Asschers just this morning, it looks like I have some competition. :eek-2:

On James Allen, there are about 10 options matching my parameters. What do you look at to determine which options have the best cut and light return? OoohShiny's post seems to be a very good starting point on what to look for and I am still trying to develop a good eye.

Earlier in my research, I got some advice on which diamonds to pick and which to avoid (note: they are examples and not within my parameters). Can anyone please explain to me what the difference is between them?

Thanks!

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Have you contacted Diamonds by Lauren about their octavia asschers?

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am in the market for an Asscher cut, 1.49-2.00ct, D-F, FL-VS1, with excellent polish/symmetry and none to faint fluorescence, and all within $15,000. Given that another user has posted a thread about Asschers just this morning, it looks like I have some competition. :eek-2:

On James Allen, there are about 10 options matching my parameters. What do you look at to determine which options have the best cut and light return? OoohShiny's post seems to be a very good starting point on what to look for and I am still trying to develop a good eye.

Earlier in my research, I got some advice on which diamonds to pick and which to avoid (note: they are examples and not within my parameters). Can anyone please explain to me what the difference is between them?

Thanks!

Usually a picture is worth a thousand words so its easier to give you examples but some people prefer it in writing...so here is what I look for (others may
have additional comments)

- similar size steps (I do not like stones where some of the steps are really big and some are really small. I like them all of a similar size)
- you want to see the "flashing" of the steps going all the way down into the center of the stone as the stone turns/moves
- bonus if the steps are lighting up/darkening in sequential order like they are walking you down into the center then walking you back out as the stone moves
- nice size windmills (not too thin)
- not too many steps "turned off" (dark at once) when the stone is facing you and not moving. Some steps "on" while others are "off"

Thats all I can think of at the moment. I'll add to this list if I think of anything else...I'm sure others have comments too.

asschercut

Rough_Rock
Have you contacted Diamonds by Lauren about their octavia asschers?

No, I actually only discovered Octavias by reading this forum today and haven't had a chance to ask my partner if she likes it. She doesn't like rounds because they are too flashy, hence why an Asscher is her preferred.

Thanks for the recs. Would you say these are better options than any of the 10 JAs I linked to, or are they merely alternatives?

asschercut

Rough_Rock
Usually a picture is worth a thousand words so its easier to give you examples but some people prefer it in writing...so here is what I look for (others may
have additional comments)

- similar size steps (I do not like stones where some of the steps are really big and some are really small. I like them all of a similar size)
- you want to see the "flashing" of the steps going all the way down into the center of the stone as the stone turns/moves
- bonus if the steps are lighting up/darkening in sequential order like they are walking you down into the center then walking you back out as the stone moves
- nice size windmills (not too thin)
- not too many steps "turned off" (dark at once) when the stone is facing you and not moving. Some steps "on" while others are "off"

Thats all I can think of at the moment. I'll add to this list if I think of anything else...I'm sure others have comments too.

This is extremely helpful - I'm seeking precisely written descriptions. I've been recommended many examples without a clue as to what to look for and ended up guessing (wrongly - e.g. at one point, I thought this was a prime candidate :razz:)! One of the other tips I've gotten is that the crown cannot be too flat.

Using your descriptors, would you agree that the following three are the best options of the 10 JA matches?
I admit that I'm having trouble identifying how many steps there are in the pavilion so I haven't really factored that in.

Last edited:

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Last edited:

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No, I actually only discovered Octavias by reading this forum today and haven't had a chance to ask my partner if she likes it. She doesn't like rounds because they are too flashy, hence why an Asscher is her preferred.

Thanks for the recs. Would you say these are better options than any of the 10 JAs I linked to, or are they merely alternatives?
Where are the 10 JAs?

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ok, I found them.

Let me weed them out.

1.53 E vs1-- no!! Too many steps off at the same time.
1.55 F vs1 no. Don't like the steps and it is too deep
1.51 E VS 1-- no. Something is wrong with that one... looks milky
1.58 F VVS1-- meh. Its ok. I don't like the step pattern. You can do better

asschercut

Rough_Rock
How about one of Yoram’s divine asschers?
This will probably be out of budget, stunning nonetheless:
http://gemconcepts.net/boutique/2-52-carat-asscher-cut-diamond-of-first-water/

And here is a smaller Octavia that may be wishing budget:
http://gemconcepts.net/boutique/special-octavia-cut-diamond/

Perhaps he can custom cut a diamond for you and wishing your budget. Several PSers had customs cut asschers recently!

I was looking at the 2.52 then quickly closed the window. There's no point getting my hopes up, let alone the missus'! I have a feeling Gem Concepts may be out of my $15,000 budget entirely if I am looking for 1.5-2.0ct. :(2

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
1.59 E vvs2: on the verge of too deep, not jazzed about the steps but it the best one of the 10 so far, imo

1.71 E vs1: its ok. I'm not loving the steps.
1.70 E vvs2: could be good. I'd need to assess in person

1.52 d vvs2: No. too many large steps on at the same time
1.70 E vs1. No. Same as above

1.74 f vs1: no. It just lays there. Bland.

1.51 e IF: no. Seriously no. Do not buy this one.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
IMG_0861.JPG
IMG_2004.jpg
I think that 1.78 F from Blue Nile is a winner. My asscher came from BN and it's a very nice one.

asschercut

Rough_Rock
I really appreciate you providing comments on all of them, @whitewave. I've shared my responses below in blue so you guys can tell me why I'm dumb!

Ok, I found them.

Let me weed them out.

1.53 E VS1 - no!! Too many steps off at the same time. Agreed
1.55 F VS1 - no. Don't like the steps and it is too deep I thought this one did well in having the steps move up/down, and it would be my preferred for the 1.50ct-range cuts. What do you mean by "too deep"?
1.51 E VS1 - no. Something is wrong with that one... looks milky They probably just messed up the photography, but regardless, the steps are on at the same time and I don't think that's good
1.58 F VVS1 - meh. Its ok. I don't like the step pattern. You can do better My #1 overall pick (thus far) in terms of price/size/color/clarity, though I don't know enough about the cut to say whether it's a dealbreaker. At least you haven't outright rejected it! :razz:
1.59 E VVS2 - on the verge of too deep, not jazzed about the steps but it the best one of the 10 so far, imo Is it not a concern that the steps are all on at the same time and don't move up/down?
1.71 E VS1 - its ok. I'm not loving the steps. Agreed, it's odd that the steps turn on when directly facing the viewer but there is no contrast at any other angle
1.70 E VVS2 - could be good. I'd need to assess in person The steps seem thinner than others but I don't know if that's an issue. This is my preferred for the 1.70ct-range cuts.
1.52 D VVS2 -No. too many large steps on at the same time Agreed
1.70 E VS1 - No. Same as above Agreed
1.74 F VS1 - no. It just lays there. Bland. Agreed
1.51 E IF - no. Seriously no. Do not buy this one. The severity of the steps makes me laugh every time I see it

I think that 1.78 F from Blue Nile is a winner. My asscher came from BN and it's a very nice one.

I've put this in my list as a top contender. Tbh though, I can't tell what makes it better than the 1.70 E VVS2.

acebruin

Brilliant_Rock
If the setting doesn't suit her taste, ask the seller if they'll sell the stone loose.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If I were you I'd contact Yoram and have him cut me an Asscher. Nobody can cut Asschers like Yoram does...:love:

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I really appreciate you providing comments on all of them, @whitewave. I've shared my responses below in blue so you guys can tell me why I'm dumb!

I've put this in my list as a top contender. Tbh though, I can't tell what makes it better than the 1.70 E VVS2.

Well, let's work it out:

The 1.70 JA E vvs2 is 6.56 x 6.54 x 4.46 mm
Depth of 68.2%
L/W 6.54/6.56

The 1.78 F from BN is: 6.64 x 6.63 x 4.40
Depth of 66.3%
L/w 6.64/ 6.63

Blue Nile is on the left
IMG_3971.PNG

asschercut

Rough_Rock
@whitewave Right - so because the BN is shallower, the face of the rock appears bigger (notwithstanding the 0.08ct increase). I have not really considered table and depth in my analysis of the diamonds.

But is the BN's cut dramatically better than the JA's? Or in other words, on a scale of 1-10, how would you rank the cut for each?

asschercut

Rough_Rock
If I were you I'd contact Yoram and have him cut me an Asscher. Nobody can cut Asschers like Yoram does...:love:

I honestly don't think I'll be worth his while. If I'm looking at rocks from JA and BN, it means I'm gonna be happy enough with a Hyundai Genesis instead of blowing my budget for Yoram's Mercedes-Benz E-Class.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
IMG_3976.jpg
IMG_3981.PNG
IMG_3989.PNG
IMG_3975.jpg
To me, the BN one has more varied size steps and a more pleasing contrast pattern. Even when the steps are grey, they are not all the same shade od grey. You also get more stone and fatter windmills (though I have thin windmills and I love them).

It is all about what you want and what you are looking for. I'm telling you what I like and what I see. We don't have to be the same.

Attachments

• IMG_3976.PNG
    IMG_3976.PNG
    913.9 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_3986.PNG
    IMG_3986.PNG
    872 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_3973.PNG
    IMG_3973.PNG
    728.8 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:

asschercut

Rough_Rock
Thanks, I really appreciate all your detailed comments. Hopefully you don't think of my responses as challenging you, as I am genuinely curious about your thought process (especially as an Asscher owner). I still don't know what I want and what I'm looking for; until I do, I want to learn as much as I can and absorb various opinions. Admittedly, all the diamonds look pretty good to me and I am still biased towards price per carat - but I'm trying to change that.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@whitewave Right - so because the BN is shallower, the face of the rock appears bigger (notwithstanding the 0.08ct increase). I have not really considered table and depth in my analysis of the diamonds.

But is the BN's cut dramatically better than the JA's? Or in other words, on a scale of 1-10, how would you rank the cut for each?

Yes. About the depth.

I explained what I look for in my photo comparison

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The Blue Nile one is also the more traditional asscher shape. You can see it is more square where JA one is slightly more rectangle.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Let me try to get two photos of the other direction. To me, you can see the differences in these photos:
IMG_4003.jpg IMG_4005.jpg

To answer your question, yes, I think the BN is better cut and worth the extra money for
1) better cut (more contrast/different width steps/more pleasing flashes)
2) better spread (bigger and looks bigger and you aren't paying for stone you can't see)
3) more traditional asscher shape and
4) fatter windmills (considered more desirable)

asschercut

Rough_Rock
Yep, I now see exactly what you mean with the steps - the JA's grey steps are all so uniform, whereas there are numerous shades at any given angle in the BN. With this in mind, I'm going to re-visit the JA matches to see what their contrasts are like.

Side note: I showed the missus an Octavia and she loves it with three :love::love::love: emojis, so I guess it's time to splurge on a Benz after all, @Dancing Fire...

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Of the 3 you posted above, this is the only one I would be interested in. Have you requested an aset on it?
https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/asscher-cut/1.70-carat-e-color-vvs2-clarity-sku-3289990

This one looks interesting too...I prefer my steps all close in size and this has some small/big steps but that depends on your likes (hold ctrl down)
https://www.bluenile.com/diamond-details/LD08839019?refTab=DIAMONDS

The 1.78 BN stone is also available here at a better price with another video to view
https://enchanteddiamonds.com/diamonds/view/A178-847645423?

I didnt see anything else at enchanted diamonds.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Of the 3 you posted above, this is the only one I would be interested in. Have you requested an aset on it?
https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/asscher-cut/1.70-carat-e-color-vvs2-clarity-sku-3289990

This one looks interesting too...I prefer my steps all close in size and this has some small/big steps but that depends on your likes (hold ctrl down)
https://www.bluenile.com/diamond-details/LD08839019?refTab=DIAMONDS

The 1.78 BN stone is also available here at a better price with another video to view
https://enchanteddiamonds.com/diamonds/view/A178-847645423?

I didnt see anything else at enchanted diamonds.

Wow, MUCH better price there at ED!!

asschercut

Rough_Rock
It looks like the 1.78 BN is the consensus pick thus far. Thank you both for your valuable input, and especially for finding a better price! Happy to hear from more if anyone would like to chime in.

Also, @tyty333, I am holding off on requesting ASETs until I've settled on the top contenders.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It looks like the 1.78 BN is the consensus pick thus far. Thank you both for your valuable input, and especially for finding a better price! Happy to hear from more if anyone would like to chime in.

Also, @tyty333, I am holding off on requesting ASETs until I've settled on the top contenders.

Call and put it on hold

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results