shape
carat
color
clarity

ASET For Royal Asscher: Answered

Dr_Diesel

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Some time back, I had asked around about ASET images for a Royal Asscher but couldn’t find any.

I’ve since had an opportunity to see one and take a few photos with my iPhone and a handheld ASET.

Seeing it in person helped me better understand the effect of the 5 pavilion facets. It makes for surprising fire throughout the stone. Very different from the broad flashes in generic Asschers. Lots of glittery pinpoint fire and “needle line” flashes. It’s a more sparkly, colorful light show than I expected.

The design is intricate, stunning and hypnotic IMO. There’s a lot going there and I agree that it is better appreciated in larger stones.

So, for anybody who’s curious, this is what they look like.

@Karl_K
@Jimmianne
@kenny
@OoohShiny

....thought this might interest you all.

2972FBFE-7A7D-4952-A470-5F3F6F6113FD.jpeg 04D73CA4-6C91-4BBE-B5DA-F1003A977F1F.jpeg D4DE9036-F4D7-4B70-BB3E-B0ED21FC05CE.jpeg

Last edited:

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That’s gorgeous. Are you looking to buy it/one like it?

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Some time back, I had asked around about ASET images for a Royal Asscher but couldn’t find any.

I’ve since had an opportunity to see one and take a few photos with my iPhone and a handheld ASET.

Seeing it in person helped me better understand the effect of the 5 pavilion facets. It makes for surprising fire throughout the stone. Very different from the broad flashes in generic Asschers. Lots of glittery pinpoint fire and “needle line” flashes. It’s a more sparkly, colorful light show than I expected.

The design is intricate, stunning and hypnotic IMO. There’s a lot going there and I agree that it is better appreciated in larger stones.

So, for anybody who’s curious, this is what they look like.

@Karl_K
@Jimmianne
@kenny
@OoohShiny

....thought this might interest you all.

2972FBFE-7A7D-4952-A470-5F3F6F6113FD.jpeg 04D73CA4-6C91-4BBE-B5DA-F1003A977F1F.jpeg D4DE9036-F4D7-4B70-BB3E-B0ED21FC05CE.jpeg

Breathtaking!
I LOVE Royal Asschers!
Can you share details about this one?
Are you in the market to purchase?

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Sweet one of the best ones I have "seen"

Dr_Diesel

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Breathtaking!
I LOVE Royal Asschers!
Can you share details about this one?
Are you in the market to purchase?

@foxinsox this should answer your question as well.

Not exactly in the market, but this one showed up. I’ve always admired Royal Asschers and they aren’t particularly easy to find. So, it’s tempting, but would likely just end up in the vault for a long time. Spending that kind of $$$ right now does give me pause.

I can’t share exact details right now, but I can say:
6E5145C2-D9B1-4E93-ADC1-381E2A31C1D3.jpeg
Royal Asscher Stamp & Cert

1.5ct-ish
Colorless
Deep but with a very high crown (see photo)

Mike Asscher was kind enough to verify it.

Oh, on that note, it was interesting that he was unfamiliar with ASET images. Never even heard of it, so I’m going to send him this one to check out.

gregchang35

Ideal_Rock
stunning!!!!!

This RA does look a lot like an Octavia. NIce find.. good luck with your decision making process. :)
get it! get it! get it! LOLOLOL

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@foxinsox this should answer your question as well.

Not exactly in the market, but this one showed up. I’ve always admired Royal Asschers and they aren’t particularly easy to find. So, it’s tempting, but would likely just end up in the vault for a long time. Spending that kind of $$$ right now does give me pause.

I can’t share exact details right now, but I can say:
6E5145C2-D9B1-4E93-ADC1-381E2A31C1D3.jpeg
Royal Asscher Stamp & Cert

1.5ct-ish
Colorless
Deep but with a very high crown (see photo)

Mike Asscher was kind enough to verify it.

Oh, on that note, it was interesting that he was unfamiliar with ASET images. Never even heard of it, so I’m going to send him this one to check out.

Very difficult to find.
I have only seen a few in person, and they were gorgeous. Much smaller, but still very mesmerizing.
I tried to find 7 matching Royal Asschers for an anniversary band, and came up empty. I was fortunate to find Yoram at GemConcepts (thank you, @OoohShiny for that nudge), and he was able to produce 7 matching Vintage Cut Asschers for my band. Not the same, but so very beautiful. I get lost in them, as well.
There’s just something to be said for the original, RA. Nothing quite like it.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Great video and pictures/ASET, thank you for posting! :)

And I can't wait to see @Matthews1127 Yoram asschers when the time comes for them to be set :))

Dr_Diesel

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Very difficult to find.
I have only seen a few in person, and they were gorgeous. Much smaller, but still very mesmerizing.
I tried to find 7 matching Royal Asschers for an anniversary band, and came up empty. I was fortunate to find Yoram at GemConcepts (thank you, @OoohShiny for that nudge), and he was able to produce 7 matching Vintage Cut Asschers for my band. Not the same, but so very beautiful. I get lost in them, as well.
There’s just something to be said for the original, RA. Nothing quite like it.

Please post pics of that band!

I've only seen photos and videos of Yoram's Antique Asschers and they look incredible. The videos show a play of light with a very interesting, elegant, and almost "liquid" quality. I'd love to see one in person one day!

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Please post pics of that band!

I've only seen photos and videos of Yoram's Antique Asschers and they look incredible. The videos show a play of light with a very interesting, elegant, and almost "liquid" quality. I'd love to see one in person one day!

The band is only at the design stage. Once the funds are ready, I’ll pull the trigger. The waiting is killing me!
I can share the loose stones with you, for now:

Threads:

Dr_Diesel

Shiny_Rock
Trade
A beauty - can you teach me how to take such a great photo please!

Hi Garry! I used an iPhone 11 for all of them and for the videos used the HD setting at 60hz.

For the ASET photo I used silver gem jar with a black pad and put a strong but diffuse LED light next to it. Between the reflective surface of the gem jar and the ASET scope's cone, it did a good job of diffusing light in the field surrounding the stone.

In all cases, getting the lighting and focal distance right was just a process of trial and error.

Dr_Diesel

Shiny_Rock
Trade
The band is only at the design stage. Once the funds are ready, I’ll pull the trigger. The waiting is killing me!
I can share the loose stones with you, for now:

Threads:

WOW!!!! Spectacular! I remember admiring those little Asschers on the GemConcepts website. Glad they went to a good home...and I can't wait to see the finished piece!

Dr_Diesel

Shiny_Rock
Trade
A beauty - can you teach me how to take such a great photo please!
Here’s a better ASET photo. I attempted to color-correct the last one to enhance the green, but it looks a little weird to me. This is that same image without color-correction.

If you look closely, you can tell that the light source originated on the left. The green component is more prominent on the left edge of the crown and the first row of pavilion faces under the table on the right.

BA8CEB12-9280-4085-B3BE-61C079FABD87.jpeg

Last edited:

diamondhoarder

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
What a beautiful stone! Did you decide to keep it? I hope you dont me me asking but if you end up returning it would you mind sharing the details of the vendor with me?

Dr_Diesel

Shiny_Rock
Trade
What a beautiful stone! Did you decide to keep it? I hope you dont me me asking but if you end up returning it would you mind sharing the details of the vendor with me?

Oh no!

I just realized that completely *forgot* about sending it back in time. Guess I’ll just have to keep it now :kiss2:

This one was such a “needle in a haystack” that I couldn’t bring myself to let it go. Not sure what it’s destiny will be (heirloom to be passed on? ring?), but in the unlikely event that I decide to sell it at some point, I will let you know.

I do however know that you can buy directly from Royal Asscher in the Netherlands as a private customer.

Just email [email protected] and ask about inventory. Mike Asscher is very helpful and very kind.

Last time I checked in with him, they had a few stones in stock with the criteria I inquired about:

1.66 H VS1
1.27 E VS2
1.23 E SI1
1.21 G SI1

Prices were between $7125-$9875/ct, but that was last year. Could be better right now? There is a return period, but I get nervous sending high-value items through customs.

Sarah Leonard Fine Jewelers in LA can get any of those stones and could also get (at the time I asked):
1.80 G VS2
1.17 G IF
1.17 G VS1
1.36 F VVS
Their prices were only slightly higher than from RA directly. You’ll want to work directly with the owner, Dean Abell ([email protected])

There are several vendors, particularly in California and NYC who can get these stones to review them in person. This is the only one I’ve ever seen in person.

Some say RA’s are very consistent in appearance/cutting, others say they can vary from “just OK” to stunning. Based on lab reports I’ve seen for different stones, there is considerable variation in their proportions (depth, spread and table size).

That’s kind of the wild card...and none of them have ASET images to review before seeing the stone....and also, none of us want to pay retail prices.

If you are bent on finding a RA and do so through a local vendor, definitely bring a handheld ASET since we all know what jewelry store lighting does.

In this case, I just happened to take a shot in the dark with a totally unknown vendor (who didn’t typically carry RA’s but just happened to have this one). I was very apprehensive but got a good feeling about the guy and ultimately got lucky on both the find and the price (COVID liquidation).

As I understand it, diamond sales are down in general and Asschers are always in low demand, even RA’s. It’s very much a specialty market and they don’t move quickly, so you might be able to swing a good deal right about now. Put your bargaining hat on!

...also, if you like RA’s prefab settings, they are MUCH cheaper directly from RA. They get marked up quite a bit by jewelers. The only thing is that you have to prove to RA that you’re going to set one of their stones in it. They don’t want generic diamonds in their settings.

Regardless, I hope some of this info is helpful!

Last edited:

diamondhoarder

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Oh no!

I just realized that completely *forgot* about sending it back in time. Guess I’ll just have to keep it now :kiss2:

This one was such a “needle in a haystack” that I couldn’t bring myself to let it go. Not sure what it’s destiny will be (heirloom to be passed on? ring?), but in the unlikely event that I decide to sell it at some point, I will let you know.

I do however know that you can buy directly from Royal Asscher in the Netherlands as a private customer.

Just email [email protected] and ask about inventory. Mike Asscher is very helpful and very kind.

Last time I checked in with him, they had a few stones in stock with the criteria I inquired about:

1.66 H VS1
1.27 E VS2
1.23 E SI1
1.21 G SI1

Prices were between $7125-$9875/ct, but that was last year. Could be better right now? There is a return period, but I get nervous sending high-value items through customs.

Sarah Leonard Fine Jewelers in LA can get any of those stones and could also get (at the time I asked):
1.80 G VS2
1.17 G IF
1.17 G VS1
1.36 F VVS
Their prices were only slightly higher than from RA directly. You’ll want to work directly with the owner, Dean Abell ([email protected])

There are several vendors, particularly in California and NYC who can get these stones to review them in person. This is the only one I’ve ever seen in person.

Some say RA’s are very consistent in appearance/cutting, others say they can vary from “just OK” to stunning. Based on lab reports I’ve seen for different stones, there is considerable variation in their proportions (depth, spread and table size).

That’s kind of the wild card...and none of them have ASET images to review before seeing the stone....and also, none of us want to pay retail prices.

If you are bent on finding a RA and do so through a local vendor, definitely bring a handheld ASET since we all know what jewelry store lighting does.

In this case, I just happened to take a shot in the dark with a totally unknown vendor (who didn’t typically carry RA’s but just happened to have this one). I was very apprehensive but got a good feeling about the guy and ultimately got lucky on both the find and the price (COVID liquidation).

As I understand it, diamond sales are down in general and Asschers are always in low demand, even RA’s. It’s very much a specialty market and they don’t move quickly, so you might be able to swing a good deal right about now. Put your bargaining hat on!

...also, if you like RA’s prefab settings, they are MUCH cheaper directly from RA. They get marked up quite a bit by jewelers. The only thing is that you have to prove to RA that you’re going to set one of their stones in it. They don’t want generic diamonds in their settings.

Regardless, I hope some of this info is helpful!
RA
Thanks so much for all this info. I'm in the UK so perhaps going directly to RA would be my best bet. It sounds like you found yourself an amazing bargain and a rare find too! I'm not surprised you decided to keep it - I don't think I would have been able to part with a stone like that once it was in my hands either :D If you do decide to set it then there will be quite a few of us who would love to see pics of the finished product.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Great decision to keep the stone!!! I very much regret not buying one offered second hand when I had the chance. Endless money would be helpful! On the other hand, I have two stones cut by Yoram and would love to have one of his antique style asschers if that money tree ever sprouts in my yard! (I also have a true antique asscher with high crown and small table as well as a small well cut modern asscher, so I am very much an asscher fan!)

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yum Yum Yum!

That's a real TDF stone!!! :kiss2:

Last edited:

Dr_Diesel

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Great decision to keep the stone!!! I very much regret not buying one offered second hand when I had the chance. Endless money would be helpful! On the other hand, I have two stones cut by Yoram and would love to have one of his antique style asschers if that money tree ever sprouts in my yard! (I also have a true antique asscher with high crown and small table as well as a small well cut modern asscher, so I am very much an asscher fan!)

I saw that Antique Asscher in your post. Amazing, even miraculous given how long ago it was cut! And that yellow OMC from Yoram in truly mind-blowing. I had one of those moment when time sort of stops for a moment when the photo popped up. It’s image is still burned in my mind!

...and good luck with that money tree in the back yard! If you get yours to sprout, please share your secret. I think I may be trimming mine too frequently:dance:

Dr_Diesel

Shiny_Rock
Trade
RA
Thanks so much for all this info. I'm in the UK so perhaps going directly to RA would be my best bet. It sounds like you found yourself an amazing bargain and a rare find too! I'm not surprised you decided to keep it - I don't think I would have been able to part with a stone like that once it was in my hands either :D If you do decide to set it then there will be quite a few of us who would love to see pics of the finished product.

@diamondhoarder

I’ve been reflecting a little... I’ve wanted a Royal Asscher for many, many years and when this one crossed my path, I jumped on it even though I wasn’t really planning to buy a diamond.

What I said about it likely winding up in the vault for a very long time is true however. That reality has been sinking in for me. While I’m happy to do just that and maybe pass it on as an heirloom or collectors item, it would be a shame to not see this stone set and really be shown off.

You seemed passionate about finding a RA and, if you’d like, I‘m willing to pass this one forward to a good home. It’s an incredible find, an absurdly beautiful stone and I got it at a great price (which I’ll be willing to also pass forward). Like Karl said, this is a good one.

If that sounds interesting, let me know and I’ll post it on LoupeTroop for you so we can communicate more through that forum.

The only wrinkle is that I’m not entirely sure about how one goes about shipping high-value items from the US to the UK, though this seems like a solvable issue.

If anyone knows of a secure way to go about it, please share!

...and while we’re here, here’s another video:

Last edited:
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results