shape
carat
color
clarity

Are you still in love???

scarsmum

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I had a slow burn when I acquired Lumen. At first I would just look at her like she was some strange alien on my hand and I had no real connection to her, then day by day my love for her grew until I would stare at her over and over throughout the day and loved putting her on in the morning. My love grew and grew until she really felt like mine.

Really sadly she has now gone off for consignment very much against my desires. We have a large unexpected expense for our kids and I just can’t justify keeping her in the face of that. I miss her. I’m sad. But kids always come first.

Octo2005

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Great threat!

I often wondered about that - We see so many projects come to completion and then appear in the preloved section.

I still love my pieces! Are there things that in hind site I wish I had done differently -yes, but not enough to actually do them.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just wanted to comment on something you said, too. The problem with choosing any setting is that there are other great settings and it is hard to be 100% satisfied with one permanently. I LOVED your setting when you got it, but I am now hearing you say you miss the solitaire. I have mine in a plain solitaire and I think it's just not special enough for the stone! Octagonal bezel, tiny halo, three stone, many antique designs.....exactly why my stone isn't reset!!! (I am trying to make myself do it this year, though!!!)

I do adore step cuts. Mine kind of fell into my lap, but I am certain I'd be looking for one now if I didn't have this one. But I couldn't give up having a round stone, because that is what I have always had and I know I'd miss it.
About the setting. I might miss the roundness of the stone but I would never get rid of the setting unless I sold both together. MK is perfect in this setting. Feels like they were meant for each other. So if I really wanted a solitaire I would just ask VC to make one and set it in there temporarily, maybe a few years. Then I would switch back to this setting when I got bored of the solitaire. If I sold it I don’t know if Victor would ever make another one if I wanted it again. He said it took him much longer to make this than a halo so I had better not take this setting for granted.

I can’t wait to see which way you go DS. Your stone is so perfect I don’t know what could be worthy of her.

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade

Tourmaline

Ideal_Rock
Trade
You could easily have a little pavilion cutting to give you more of an OEC look and keep the stone you have! Very cost effective, too!

No, my diamond has a low crown.

Reactions: AV_

SylviaF

Shiny_Rock
I'm not fully in love with my e-ring right now. I's a 1.3 ct ACA set in a platinum bezel with a yellow gold shank. Overtime, I grew tired of the yellow gold and I've been finding myself wanting white metal for my wedding set instead. Now that I have a delicate platinum eternity band from VC, they definitely don't "match", as my e-ring is more modern, so I'm wearing the eternity on the left hand, and my e-ring on my right hand.

What I like about my e-ring:
- The bezel is very protective of my stone, I've had peace of mind that I'm not going to damage the diamond.
- It's simple and understated.
- I really like the roundness of the shape, with prongs sometimes round diamonds can look square.

What I don't like about it:
- The yellow gold shank.
- I wish there was less metal.
- Sometimes the J color of the stone is more visible and bugs me a little, other times it's so blindingly sparkly I don't notice color at all, but maybe I'd be happier with an H color.

What I think about doing in the future:
- Setting my current stone in a plain platinum solitaire (afraid the stone will look smaller due to losing the bezel)
- Setting my current stone in an Emylia, which I think will look better with my eternity.
- Waiting a couple of years, upgrading to a 2ct, and set in an Emylia, or in a 3-stone with baguettes. (the jump from a 1.3 to a 2 ct is double the cost of my current ring)
- Shut up, keep it, and spend what I would spend in upgrading, on VCA pieces over the next couple of years. :lol:

ETA: I've also thought about setting the 1.3 stone into an VC Emilya pendant.

Last edited:

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am still in love ::)

I've gone through several settings - lots of opportunities to figure my "must haves", "nice to haves", and "must not haves" out. My stone and her current setting are the culmination of many learning experiences, and apparently I did actually "learn" because I am still in love, over a year later. There is quite literally nothing I would change. And I've honestly never been able to say that before :kiss2:

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
In the past year I got the ring in my avatar and reset an heirloom stone into a pendant. I am so happy with the pendant, it was such the right move to reset it. The ER I love both the stone and the setting, but if I sat down to sketch it out today I'm sure I'd end up with something totally different. Don't see myself changing it but I'd like to add a couple of things to my "ring wardrobe" =)

SylviaF

Shiny_Rock
9812DBDB-7A1C-4619-9199-3F599418BDB1.jpeg I’m happy to wear these gifts on my finger instead
She's beautiful! They are certainly worth whatever sacrifices we have to make for them. I could definitely have more/ bigger bling, but I know I'll never regret investing in their education, trips, family memories, and soon helping my oldest get her first car.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No, my diamond has a low crown.

Yes, more modern stones do have lower crowns than OECs for sure. That’s why I believe I said redo the pavilion. You wouldn’t have the high crown to look at from the side, but you can have the larger pavilion facets of the OEC as you look down at the stone. Someone here had that done. I’ll try to find it later when I have my computer. You don’t have to have a total recut. Just a little polishing on the pavilion can make a huge difference.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm not fully in love with my e-ring right now. I's a 1.3 ct ACA set in a platinum bezel with a yellow gold shank. Overtime, I grew tired of the yellow gold and I've been finding myself wanting white metal for my wedding set instead. Now that I have a delicate platinum eternity band from VC, they definitely don't "match", as my e-ring is more modern, so I'm wearing the eternity on the left hand, and my e-ring on my right hand.

What I like about my e-ring:
- The bezel is very protective of my stone, I've had peace of mind that I'm not going to damage the diamond.
- It's simple and understated.
- I really like the roundness of the shape, with prongs sometimes round diamonds can look square.

What I don't like about it:
- The yellow gold shank.
- I wish there was less metal.
- Sometimes the J color of the stone is more visible and bugs me a little, other times it's so blindingly sparkly I don't notice color at all, but maybe I'd be happier with an H color.

What I think about doing in the future:
- Setting my current stone in a plain platinum solitaire (afraid the stone will look smaller due to losing the bezel)
- Setting my current stone in an Emylia, which I think will look better with my eternity.
- Waiting a couple of years, upgrading to a 2ct, and set in an Emylia, or in a 3-stone with baguettes. (the jump from a 1.3 to a 2 ct is double the cost of my current ring)
- Shut up, keep it, and spend what I would spend in upgrading, on VCA pieces over the next couple of years. :lol:

ETA: I've also thought about setting the 1.3 stone into an VC Emilya pendant.

My sincere advice is to pursue the upgrade to what you really want before you spend money on a new setting. The J might bother you in the Emilya, and that certainly wouldn’t be good. It’s taken many of us a few tries to get the right diamond. I had a couple before my AVR. Once you have the right stone, then spend the money to get a worthy setting. @yssie is a good example of finally getting to the right stone and setting! I am hearing your doubts about the diamond you have, and I think you won’t be happy until you resolve that. Then you can decide on your perfect setting!

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I've gone through several settings - lots of opportunities to figure my "must haves", "nice to haves", and "must not haves" out. My stone and her current setting are the culmination of many learning experiences, and apparently I did actually "learn" because I am still in love, over a year later. There is quite literally nothing I would change. And I've honestly never been able to say that before :kiss2:

I love it too!!!

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
Just wanted to say, same here! Married at 21 and have grown kids the age of many of the ladies here!

I think you did very well to choose a well cut diamond back when most of us were still clueless about diamonds. 12 years ago is when I began looking for a new diamond for an anniversary, and I was lucky to find PS! Of course, it has cost us a LOT of money, too!

I’m glad I’m not the only one! :roll2:I wrote this before but my first diamond was so included that it had a very large carbon spot directly under the table that you couldn’t miss with the naked eye. It was the only ring we could afford! It was $400! I had my son a year later so there were no funds for sparklies. We were so young! I loved that ring..and wore it and loved it for a long time. People would keep trying to rub off the dirt that they thought it had on it. My husband couldn’t take it anymore and told me it was time to upgrade to my sparkly..:lol:

SylviaF

Shiny_Rock

Yssie, your ring is absolutely perfect!

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Am I still in love with my first e-ring? Not at all! I'm still in love with the man who gave it to me, but that ring came and went decades ago.

Over the years, I've found multiple different styles and gems that I love, so my collection touches on all those things. No one ring I own hits all the bases, but I'm not sure that one ring could. So I'm completely happy where I am, but were I to have only one ring, I don't think I'd be satisfied with it at all, because it would simply be incapable of scratching so many diverse itches.

I've often wondered, out of my own collection, if I could only have one, which it would be. My 3mm yellow gold extra heavy wedder? My ruby and diamond 5 stone? My opal and diamond ring? (I LOVE that ring!!) Possibly. But most likely, for a ring I could wear anywhere, it would be my 7 stone platinum diamond band. It's a day-to-night, take-you-anywhere sort of ring, and could be worn in the most scenarios. But it wouldn't be perfect for all of those occasions, so it would probably bug me and I'd like it less than I do now.

Last edited:

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No one ring I own hits all the bases, but I'm not sure that one ring could.

Having tried to create pieces that "tick all the boxes" - well, that's the straight and narrow to Frankenjewellery right there! There's the question of can you, but there's also the equally important should you :bigsmile:

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m still in love with my diamond. I can’t ever see myself going bigger or changing for a higher color. It would be cost prohibitive to go up to an H and I already love the Clarity. As is, I am sometimes embarrassed by the size of my diamond. I sometimes turn it around. But I still love it of course.
I’m heading out tonight for a get together with my co-workers who have never seen my ring. I don’t wear it at work bc I’m a nurse. So I’m trying to decide if I should wear it or wear one of my other rings.
I’ll probBly wear it though.
Did you wear it? Also did you ever start a thread on your ring? Would love more pics and details!

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've been having a strange love affair with Holly. I absolutely fell in love with her when I first got her, then DSS and colour-sensitivity set in and I started wanting a bigger and/ or whiter stone. Then, having looked on the internet lately, I can't find anything that could match her in the price range I'm asking for. And trading her in would also mean losing tens of thousands of dollars, which I, after all is said and done, couldn't tolerate.

I guess what I am trying to say is that I'll keep her. It helps that my partner loves Holly and he opposes to me selling her, lol. I love step cuts and OEC's too, but my first love is always a MRB.

Setting-wise, that was supposed to be a temp. Several years later, I'm still holding onto it. I'm planning to now set her in an Emilya, as I had one before and loved it. Either that or a super blingy solitaire setting by LM, which I've had my eyes on for a long time. No idea when I'm gonna get round to re-setting her though, bc of the logistics involved.

So, I guess I'm pretty much settled in, in this "relationship":lol:.

PS. Oh, lesson learned? Go as big as you can possibly afford, without going into debts etc...I bought Holly with an upgrade option. But now that the person involved has left the business, the option is worthless.

Last edited:

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, more modern stones do have lower crowns than OECs for sure. That’s why I believe I said redo the pavilion. You wouldn’t have the high crown to look at from the side, but you can have the larger pavilion facets of the OEC as you look down at the stone. Someone here had that done. I’ll try to find it later when I have my computer. You don’t have to have a total recut. Just a little polishing on the pavilion can make a huge difference.

This may be the one you’re thinking of DS?
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/rb-to-oec-recut-before-and-after-pics.177547/

RB to OEC recut by Single Stone - pavilion tweaks and minimal crown work... incredible transformation! I remember when this thread was posted and I don’t believe we’ve seen anything similar since!

CareBear

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I haven't changed settings in over 10 years so I must love the setting. To me, my current stone is a super-unicorn so I went out of my way and over budget with this stone because I knew I would be in love longer :P2

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've often wondered, out of my own collection, if I could only have one, which it would be. My 3mm yellow gold extra heavy wedder? My ruby and diamond 5 stone? My opal and diamond ring? (I LOVE that ring!!) Possibly. But most likely, for a ring I could wear anywhere, it would be my 7 stone platinum diamond band.
It wouldn’t be your amazing new ring? o_O

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This may be the one you’re thinking of DS?
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/rb-to-oec-recut-before-and-after-pics.177547/

RB to OEC recut by Single Stone - pavilion tweaks and minimal crown work... incredible transformation! I remember when this thread was posted and I don’t believe we’ve seen anything similar since!

YES! Thanks, Yssie! I knew who it was due to the setting changes, but I was not home and it was too much trouble to try to search on my phone. I appreciate your finding it!

@Tourmaline This thread is what I was talking about! I'd do this with any mrb if I wanted an OEC look.

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It wouldn’t be your amazing new ring? o_O

Well, firstly, @foxinsox - I haven't even seen the new ring yet, so I'm trying to cool my jets on that one and not think about it too much!

But mostly, I guess I was talking about which ring would be appropriate for most situations. My 7 stone ring is a VERY solid ring, so I'd be happy wearing it playing sport (if one was...er...to play sport...), going to the shops, going out to dinner, to work, and so on and so on. It was more a case of which ring could be worn on the most occasions. I suspect my new ring might be a tad formal to go to the shops! (...although....) :mrgreen:

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

BlingDreams

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've had mine about a year now and I still love the parts I always loved and still notice the minor things I always noticed. I don't foresee a time that I'll ever get rid of this setting. There was far too much love and thought that went in to its creation. Now, might I swap out the center stone for something different? Possibly. I could see a stunning tanzanite or purple sapphire in there. If I did that, I'd have them shave down the bezel height a bit as that's the one part of my setting that has continued to bug me just the slightest; I would prefer it to be a hint of color vs. being a prominent design element (if that makes sense). And I have continued to lust over OECs and really hope to own one someday. Perhaps for our tenth anniversary I could talk him in to trading in my asscher for a gorgeous 3ct OEC in another setting we design?? :whistle:

For now, being able to stack/swap bands has REALLY taken the itch out of wanting different things. I'm having so much fun playing with different configurations and find that I even really enjoy JUST wearing bands (and no e-ring... blasphemy, I know :lol:). In the end, I still truly love my ring(s) and consider myself very very lucky to have them :kiss2:

KristyDarling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My Harry Winston-style halo'd cushion: It has been 6 years since I got this and about half the time I love it, the other half I'm super-tired of the halo look and dream about changing it...though I don't have any specific ideas for what the new setting would be.

My OEC solitaire in swoopy prong setting: It's been 4 years since I got this one and I still love it passionately! Once in awhile I do fantasize about swapping out the stone for a larger OEC but the odds of that happening are about .0001%! :lol-2:

I have LUSTED for a step cut for more than a decade now. But the size I'd want (3+ carats) is totally out of reach, with my first child heading to college in only three years. I know I'm lucky beyond belief to have my two rings and I do really enjoy them. The downside of being a bling junkie means I'm continually ogling and coveting. Maybe I can scratch that itch by re-setting my cushion at some point...I'm just not sure exactly how!

KristyDarling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’ve only been married for a short time; it will be 2 years, this Nov.
I have to say that PS does make “Envy” the top of the 7 deadly sins...lol!! There are SO MANY beautiful, ENORMOUS diamonds on this fora.
PS has taught me so much, but some of the important points I’ve walked away with, pertaining to MY rings are:
1. We got the best bang for our buck. I have yet to find a diamond of the same quality, size, cut, color & clarity at or around the price he paid.
2. The diamond is better quality than we anticipated, even with the SI clarity grade.
3. The size of the stone is considered “above average” in most parts of the world...especially, mine.
4. The setting fits my taste & my personality, perfectly. As much as I admire so many others’ rings, looking at my own makes my heart skip a beat. It just “fits” me.
5. As much as I have always desired a larger diamond (2+ct), the above points make me appreciate what I have, and I could never part with my diamond due to sentimental reasons. Every time I look at my hand, I am taken back to the place where my DH proposed, and that moment ties with the births of both of my children, and my wedding day as the single most amazing day of my life. I can’t imagine replacing that.
6. When I get an itch for “more”, I look forward to the project I hope to set into motion, next year: Vintage Asscher Anniversary Band. I know that soon, I will be adding more bling to my already breathtaking (to me) set. ;)2

DH & I just celebrated 5 years, as a couple, yesterday. I’m still in love, and my rings are a representation of the love we share (and how lucky I am to have a hubby who appreciates me by showering me & engulfing me with diamonds). :mrgreen2:

I absolutely love this. Your steady grasp on gratitude is so inspiring! I need to take a page from your book so I can more fully appreciate what I have, instead of being in a constant state of COVETING!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results