shape
carat
color
clarity

Another OEC Question -- Pics Included!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
kennedy|1315423188|3011895 said:
Yes, it is an option for me to drive to the US. I live about 45 minutes from the border, but I also have a newborn. Ugh, I miss the days when I could have stuff shipped to me without such a hassle. I live in BC -- do you pay only HST on jewelry?

Now that the HST has been voted down in the referendum :cheeky: you will only pay PST and GST... but you get the point. Only provincial taxes. You can drive down with a newborn, how old is your baby? You just have to plan rest stops for feedings. Can you bring along a friend? PLan a "shopping trip" and pick it up!

kennedy

Shiny_Rock
I spoke to someone in customs who said that if the piece isn't made in the US, it's subject to duty as well as taxes! Dreamer -- Did you pay duty on your stone as well as the tax?

My baby is 9 weeks old and travels well, so a trip down to the US might be in our future.

kennedy

Shiny_Rock
Stumbled upon this OEC and wondering what you all think. Does it have potential?

Per the EGL cert:

1.55 ct
N, VS2
Depth 64.2
Table 49
Crown 16.6
Pavilion 40.4
Polish Very Good
Symmetry Good
Girdle Medium to Sl. Thick

!B2Ud5NwEWk~$(KGrHqMOKisE)UW+q,GPBMh+Zryrnw~~_3.JPG

LGK

Ideal_Rock
kennedy|1315496738|3012739 said:
Stumbled upon this OEC and wondering what you all think. Does it have potential?

Per the EGL cert:

1.55 ct
N, VS2
Depth 64.2
Table 49
Crown 16.6
Pavilion 40.4
Polish Very Good
Symmetry Good
I don't really like this one- it's my least favorite of all the options, there's just something about it's symmetry/patterning I don't care for. Just my opinion of course!

I think that *given that it's just one small photo* that either the OWD stone or the solitaire have nicer patterning. From what you can see! The OWD stone has similar depth & table to both my favorite OECs.

Honestly, if you can't decide on the setting, I'd go for either the cheaper solitaire or the OWD stone. The setting isn't a deal if it's not what you want. Personally I love it, but *you* have to, too :))

Given the PITA that shippign and returns sounds like, OWD is sounding like a better option. They are just soooo expensive lately, it's frustrating, and hard to recommend paying that much of a markup. But, Adam does have excellent eyes for a gorgeous stone IMO. I had him pick between about three or four, which one was the fieriest, and when I saw it it blew me away. (That one is my 1.22 ct OEC, that I put in the setting from the ebay vendor.)

Finding antique settings to fit existing stones, is frankly a giant humongous buttpain. It can take forEVER, settings are frequently worn and need expensive work, and you rarely find them empty- and then, you don't always like the ones that do come available that would work. However if you're looking in the ~6.5mm range it helps, since most of them are around that size. That's why I ended up buying the settign I wanted with another stone in it, and reselling the extra stone, since I just could *not* find an empty one! So, yeah- if you want a real actual antique setting that you really love, you might have to wait awhile to get it. And it still might be hard to commit to just *one*- boy do I know that from experience!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
kennedy|1315450755|3012294 said:
I spoke to someone in customs who said that if the piece isn't made in the US, it's subject to duty as well as taxes! Dreamer -- Did you pay duty on your stone as well as the tax?

My baby is 9 weeks old and travels well, so a trip down to the US might be in our future.

I have brought many many diamonds over the border, you do not pay duty. There are no duties on loose diamonds or jewelery set with diamonds or jewels. How did the whole "not made the in US" thing come up anyways? What context? If you buy it from a US vendor that is all that I believe I have ever needed to verify, not the origin of the piece.

kennedy

Shiny_Rock
LGK|1315507000|3012855 said:

Per the EGL cert:

1.55 ct
N, VS2
Depth 64.2
Table 49
Crown 16.6
Pavilion 40.4
Polish Very Good
Symmetry Good
I don't really like this one- it's my least favorite of all the options, there's just something about it's symmetry/patterning I don't care for. Just my opinion of course!

I think that *given that it's just one small photo* that either the OWD stone or the solitaire have nicer patterning. From what you can see! The OWD stone has similar depth & table to both my favorite OECs.

Honestly, if you can't decide on the setting, I'd go for either the cheaper solitaire or the OWD stone. The setting isn't a deal if it's not what you want. Personally I love it, but *you* have to, too :))

Given the PITA that shippign and returns sounds like, OWD is sounding like a better option. They are just soooo expensive lately, it's frustrating, and hard to recommend paying that much of a markup. But, Adam does have excellent eyes for a gorgeous stone IMO. I had him pick between about three or four, which one was the fieriest, and when I saw it it blew me away. (That one is my 1.22 ct OEC, that I put in the setting from the ebay vendor.)

Finding antique settings to fit existing stones, is frankly a giant humongous buttpain. It can take forEVER, settings are frequently worn and need expensive work, and you rarely find them empty- and then, you don't always like the ones that do come available that would work. However if you're looking in the ~6.5mm range it helps, since most of them are around that size. That's why I ended up buying the settign I wanted with another stone in it, and reselling the extra stone, since I just could *not* find an empty one! So, yeah- if you want a real actual antique setting that you really love, you might have to wait awhile to get it. And it still might be hard to commit to just *one*- boy do I know that from experience!

Are you saying that you think the solitaire and the OWD stone have better patterning than the stone in the art deco mounting? I tend to agree based on what I can see in the photos, although (for what it's worth) the seller did say that she prefers the stone in the art deco setting to the one in the solitaire.

Adam sent me a video of the L, VVS2 and it's stunning! I'm just so torn. There's a part of me that thinks I should get the OWD stone because my number one priority is a stunning, drop dead OEC. But I also really want a genuine antique ring and I can only imagine how tough it might be to find the right setting. Not to mention the fact that the OWD stone is almost my entire budget.

You mention that they're prices are high -- is $6,100 a lot for a 1.36 L, VVS2?

kennedy

Shiny_Rock
Adam just sent me a pic of this genuine antique mounting that would accommodate the stone! Do you think it would be hard to replace the emeralds with diamonds or sapphires (I'm not a fan of green)?

mounting1.jpg

LGK

Ideal_Rock
kennedy|1315514628|3012956 said:
LGK|1315507000|3012855 said:

Per the EGL cert:

1.55 ct
N, VS2
Depth 64.2
Table 49
Crown 16.6
Pavilion 40.4
Polish Very Good
Symmetry Good

Are you saying that you think the solitaire and the OWD stone have better patterning than the stone in the art deco mounting? I tend to agree based on what I can see in the photos, although (for what it's worth) the seller did say that she prefers the stone in the art deco setting to the one in the solitaire.

Adam sent me a video of the L, VVS2 and it's stunning! I'm just so torn. There's a part of me that thinks I should get the OWD stone because my number one priority is a stunning, drop dead OEC. But I also really want a genuine antique ring and I can only imagine how tough it might be to find the right setting. Not to mention the fact that the OWD stone is almost my entire budget.

You mention that they're prices are high -- is $6,100 a lot for a 1.36 L, VVS2?

Oh, I just meant compared to the latest one. If I were ranking the OECs according to what I think will be the prettiest: 1. OWD's 2. The deco, ornate mounting from the first ring 3. the solitaire 4. the last, loose one on the blue background. It's very tough to tell from the pics which is nicer between the two from the ebay vendor, however, so I'd take her word on the ornate one being more attractive stone.

I think OWD's price is very top end of retail, and the ebay rings are mid-to-lower retail, depending on what they actually grade at. But, you do get the guarantee of a good vendor you can trust to take it back, and an absolutely amazing stone. I'm still clinging to older pricing ranges in my head, after the recent price hikes I just can't seem to catch my brain up to them, so... I might be a little harsh on the pricing critique however :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

Yeah. That would be some serious work on that setting Adam has. You'd need the stones custom cut unless you were very, very lucky, and it's a channel setting so it would be a *major* rebuild, unfortunately. It could be that it's not even possible depending on the condition of the ring. I'd pass unless you want to wear it as-is.

ETA: (because I have to! ;)) :rolleyes: ) I am, of course, totally just making an educated guess on mildly not-so-great pics in terms of the OECs' performance. It could be that the one in the ornate setting is just as nice as the OWD one!

kennedy

Shiny_Rock
Cost of the mounting is $1500 which puts me out of my budget and seems steep. Plus, it looks in somewhat rough shape compared to the first ring (perhaps the first one isn't truly antique??). Sigh. This isn't going to be easy. I suppose it's possible the stone in the deco mounting is stunning as well plus it comes in a pretty cool mounting. If I could be assured that the seller is 100% reputable, I'd probably buy that by check and send it to Neil. Is it worth paying an extra 400 bucks to use my CC via Paypal and get that extra protection??

ETA Saw your ETA -- I totally know that you're just making educated guesses and I totally appreciate them!!! I'm starting to think I should get the Deco ring checked out first and then move onto OWD if that one doesn't check out. Is that what you would do?

LGK

Ideal_Rock
kennedy|1315516193|3012979 said:
Cost of the mounting is $1500 which puts me out of my budget and seems steep. Plus, it looks in somewhat rough shape compared to the first ring (perhaps the first one isn't truly antique??). Sigh. This isn't going to be easy. I suppose it's possible the stone in the deco mounting is stunning as well plus it comes in a pretty cool mounting. If I could be assured that the seller is 100% reputable, I'd probably buy that by check and send it to Neil. Is it worth paying an extra 400 bucks to use my CC via Paypal and get that extra protection??

ETA Saw your ETA -- I totally know that you're just making educated guesses and I totally appreciate them!!! I'm starting to think I should get the Deco ring checked out first and then move onto OWD if that one doesn't check out. Is that what you would do?
Yeah, that's what I'd probably do, but only if the mounting really seemed just right. I know it's so hard to be "sure"- like any of us ever are in terms of settings!- but, if I was as close to feeling confident that I wanted to live with it for awhile, yep. I'd do exactly that.

I do like the mounting on the ebay ring- it is in particularly good condition for an antique, and probably is a genuine antique. The millgrain is unusually well preserved. Most, at least 90% of the ones I see on a daily basis, are more like the OWD one- shows very minimal millgrain left, if any, the shank is probably quite thin, and any engraving is well worn or totally gone. All my antique rings are that way- 100 years of wear & tear really does leave the metal worn down a lot, even PT. And most antique rings were indeed worn. It's rare to find one in even very good condition, which is what I'd call that one, really- it may well have been one that got tucked into a safety deposit box. (And honestly I so love that style, it totally knocks my socks off.)

There isn't any possible chance you could buy both the ornate ebay ring and the OWD loose stone is there? Comparing them would be ideal. But wow, return shipping sounds like a gigantic PITA unfortunately...

I do suspect the ebay ring will be a lot prettier in person. If the stone is at all well cut- and I think it is- that's usually the case.

Anyway, I think you really have found some good solid options, honestly, and I'd be surprised if you don't love at least one if not more of them in person!

kennedy

Shiny_Rock
LGK|1315521052|3013028 said:
kennedy|1315516193|3012979 said:

Yeah, that's what I'd probably do, but only if the mounting really seemed just right. I know it's so hard to be "sure"- like any of us ever are in terms of settings!- but, if I was as close to feeling confident that I wanted to live with it for awhile, yep. I'd do exactly that.

I do like the mounting on the ebay ring- it is in particularly good condition for an antique, and probably is a genuine antique. The millgrain is unusually well preserved. Most, at least 90% of the ones I see on a daily basis, are more like the OWD one- shows very minimal millgrain left, if any, the shank is probably quite thin, and any engraving is well worn or totally gone. All my antique rings are that way- 100 years of wear & tear really does leave the metal worn down a lot, even PT. And most antique rings were indeed worn. It's rare to find one in even very good condition, which is what I'd call that one, really- it may well have been one that got tucked into a safety deposit box. (And honestly I so love that style, it totally knocks my socks off.)

There isn't any possible chance you could buy both the ornate ebay ring and the OWD loose stone is there? Comparing them would be ideal. But wow, return shipping sounds like a gigantic PITA unfortunately...

I do suspect the ebay ring will be a lot prettier in person. If the stone is at all well cut- and I think it is- that's usually the case.

Anyway, I think you really have found some good solid options, honestly, and I'd be surprised if you don't love at least one if not more of them in person!

Thank you, LGK. I wish you could see the ring with me -- you've been so helpful. I've decided to send the ring to Neil and I also might see about having the loose stone from OWD sent as well so that Neil can tell me which stone is the better performer. I'm waiting to hear back from Neil to see what his availability is. Now I just need to stop looking around and stick to this decision before I change my mind and go totally insane.

kennedy

Shiny_Rock
Dreamer_D|1315511279|3012912 said:

I have brought many many diamonds over the border, you do not pay duty. There are no duties on loose diamonds or jewelery set with diamonds or jewels. How did the whole "not made the in US" thing come up anyways? What context? If you buy it from a US vendor that is all that I believe I have ever needed to verify, not the origin of the piece.

The woman just said that unless the seller sent documentation that the ring was manufactured in the US, there would be duty on top of taxes. We're talking 8% in addition to HST!

happybear

Shiny_Rock
Great move! ;))
Please come back and update us once you have the two beauties. We would love to hear what Neil says too.
Good luck!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Good decision. Let us know how it unfolds.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
kennedy|1315541367|3013292 said:

The woman just said that unless the seller sent documentation that the ring was manufactured in the US, there would be duty on top of taxes. We're talking 8% in addition to HST!

BS. I JUST imported a diamond last week. I suppose you could get unlucky and have a customs agent who is a jerkface if that is technically the rule, but I have never encountered it.

kennedy

Shiny_Rock
Dreamer_D|1315542596|3013310 said:

BS. I JUST imported a diamond last week. I suppose you could get unlucky and have a customs agent who is a jerkface if that is technically the rule, but I have never encountered it.

I don't get it either. From everything I've read here, others concur that there is no duty on jewelry. Could this be a new thing? My friend also called recently and was told the same thing.

kennedy

Shiny_Rock
Gypsy|1315542480|3013307 said:
Good decision. Let us know how it unfolds.

Thanks, Gypsy. You've also been very helpful.

HappyBear -- I will definitely let you know what happens! I'm nervous, but excited, too!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thank you Kennedy! I can't wait to see what you decide Kennedy. Best of luck!

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
kennedy|1315514964|3012963 said:
Adam just sent me a pic of this genuine antique mounting that would accommodate the stone! Do you think it would be hard to replace the emeralds with diamonds or sapphires (I'm not a fan of green)?

Beautiful mounting- reminds me of LottieUKs ring. I would only buy it if the price is right since you want to alter it.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
kennedy|1315547638|3013378 said:

I don't get it either. From everything I've read here, others concur that there is no duty on jewelry. Could this be a new thing? My friend also called recently and was told the same thing.

I think it is a new thing, but it is not a big deal I suppose. I looked through my documentation from Good Old Gold and it indeed included a customs form stating the ring was from the US. I don't see why any vendor could not fill out that form too!

kennedy

Shiny_Rock
Dreamer_D|1316102373|3018221 said:
kennedy|1315547638|3013378 said:

I think it is a new thing, but it is not a big deal I suppose. I looked through my documentation from Good Old Gold and it indeed included a customs form stating the ring was from the US. I don't see why any vendor could not fill out that form too!

The woman on the phone made it sound like the seller would have to provide actual proof that the item was manufactured in the US, but it doesn't sound like that's the case. I'll definitely just drive down to WA since I'm so close....assuming there's something to pick up.

Speaking of which, both the art deco ring and the loose stone from OWD are currently with Neil awaiting appraisal. He said he will likely get to it by tomorrow afternoon. I can't wait to hear what he says!

kennedy

Shiny_Rock
Update: Well, I got Neil's appraisal today on both the art deco ring and the loose stone from OWD. I don't know what to do.

To begin with, I thought it was interesting that the EGL certs on both stones were accurate within one color/clarity grade.

He also said that the mounting was an authentic antique and thought it was manufactured in the 1880s! I was surprised by that since it doesn't look Victorian to me at all. He said that the ring was cast and assembled -- did they even do that back then? Anyway, the retail replacement is $7200 and I paid $6500. The problem is that the stone is not a top notch cut for an OEC -- he said it has some symmetry issues. He said he prefers the stone from OWD, BUT the retail replacement on that stone is $4300 and I paid $6187!

I wish I could attach the pics he took, but I'm not able to copy them from the report.

I guess the smart thing is to return both and start over?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
kennedy|1316220899|3019218 said:
Update: Well, I got Neil's appraisal today on both the art deco ring and the loose stone from OWD. I don't know what to do.

To begin with, I thought it was interesting that the EGL certs on both stones were accurate within one color/clarity grade.

He also said that the mounting was an authentic antique and thought it was manufactured in the 1880s! I was surprised by that since it doesn't look Victorian to me at all. He said that the ring was cast and assembled -- did they even do that back then? Anyway, the retail replacement is $7200 and I paid $6500. The problem is that the stone is not a top notch cut for an OEC -- he said it has some symmetry issues. He said he prefers the stone from OWD, BUT the retail replacement on that stone is $4300 and I paid $6187!

I wish I could attach the pics he took, but I'm not able to copy them from the report.

Hmm. That is a problem. You don't LOVE the setting of the first the way I do. If you loved it as a complete ring, I'd say keep it. But if you want it for the stone... then yeah, restart the process.

kennedy

Shiny_Rock
Gypsy|1316226723|3019271 said:

Hmm. That is a problem. You don't LOVE the setting of the first the way I do. If you loved it as a complete ring, I'd say keep it. But if you want it for the stone... then yeah, restart the process.

Actually, seeing Neil's pics, I do love the setting. The side view is gorgeous! BUT I want a gorgeous center stone as well. He said the stone was "pretty", but not anything special. I wish I could attach the pics he took. Is it possible to copy and paste photos from a PDF file?

Here's a link to the video of the stone from OWD: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1TDhEFBAkY

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
kennedy|1316227090|3019273 said:
Gypsy|1316226723|3019271 said:

Actually, seeing Neil's pics, I do love the setting. The side view is gorgeous! BUT I want a gorgeous center stone as well. He said the stone was "pretty", but not anything special. I wish I could attach the pics he took. Is it possible to copy and paste photos from a PDF file?

Here's a link to the video of the stone from OWD: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1TDhEFBAkY

I don't know. But you can do a screen capture and paste to Paint and then crop.

How about seeing in person and then deciding?

kennedy

Shiny_Rock
Okay, I think this will work. Here is the ASET -- OWD diamond on top, ring diamond on bottom.

ASET.jpg

kennedy

Shiny_Rock
A few more...

1.43.jpg

kennedy

Shiny_Rock
Last one...

1.43 close up (dragged).jpg

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ahh... off center culet. And dark in the middle. You could re-cut it but I'm not sure it's worth it.

Damn. I love that setting though.

Yeah. I'd pass on both. Or... try to talk Adam down using the appraisal. I mean come on.. he's TWO THOUSAND OVER REPLACEMENT!

LGK

Ideal_Rock
Heck. Yeah, it's the darkness in the center that sucks. You can see it for sure in the pics Neil sent. Too bad, that setting is flippin' amazing! But, if you want a top notch OEC cut- this ain't one of them. Is it going to be ugly? No definitely not. But that darkness in the middle is my least favorite effect of a not-so-perfect OEC. :((

The OWD stone does look like it'll be a lot livelier in the middle- too bad it appraised for so much less than you paid, it looks otherwise perfect for what you want.

So yeah- I do wonder if the OWD stone is actually as bad a deal as the appraiser says? Can you poke around a bit more online to compare before you have to decide? Because otherwise, it does look like it is a nicely cut OEC. But that is a big price difference...

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results