shape
carat
color
clarity

#JOTW Amelia 4.27ct OEC - The most serendipitous 10 year upgrade

oldcutclubmember

Brilliant_Rock
I enjoyed reading your story! I believe it was meant to be! Absolutely dreamy and Congratulations on receiving JOTW!!!
Thank you so much!! It really does feel like it was meant to be with everything happening so fast and smoothly!

@oldcutclubmember -

I was on a plane all Tuesday and arrived home to a *lot* happening. So apologies for being late to the party....

And what a party it is! Firstly - congratulations on your 10 year anniversary. May you have many more, and may each one be an inestimable treasure.

As for Miss Amelia - well, we all know, don't we? She's perfect. And the combo with your wedding ring is like a celebration of "this was meant to be."

Congratulations on this amazing, jaw dropping, astounding addition to your collection: I know I'm not telling you anything when I say - "She's all that!"

Enjoy in happiness and good health always. <3
Thank you so much for your kinds words of support @mrs-b ! ❤️❤️❤️

I love her! The one thing I still have a hankering for is a giant OEC solitaire. I adore my three stone but…
That’s exactly how I felt! I have my 3+ctw OMC three stone but I really wanted a big OEC for an upgrade.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
First, this is an incredible find and I’m SO happy for you for snagging that amazing deal!! Enjoy it!!!

To connect some more historical dots, this was the setting I had Singlestone put my diamond into after I had them recut it. I think I was one of the first here on PS to do a major recut of an ideal RB to OEC. I didn’t have the very first version of this ring, but I was the first one to have this basket design with the straight line/zig zags! I told Ari that I loved the setting, but I wasn’t into the scroll work on the original, so he sketched this version out and we went for it! I loved that setting and have considered getting it again one day when I finally land on my HG stone!!

Here’s a throwback to my reveal:

Yesssssss! Your ring is absolutely the one I was thinking about! I love it.

Also, I had forgotten that you recut and MRB into an OEC. Truly ahead of the trends!

twosanguinehearts

Brilliant_Rock
OMG! How did I forget?!?! I knew this setting looked familiar!! I was reading PS for a couple of years before making an account and posting. I totally remember your posts and rings from that time! Your SS ring(s) were one of reasons I went to SS for my ER in the first place! This setting is so pretty and I love your gallery design so much more than the original!

How is your HG stone hung going? Are you still looking at MRBs or are you considering old cuts again?

Yesssssss! Your ring is absolutely the one I was thinking about! I love it.

Also, I had forgotten that you recut and MRB into an OEC. Truly ahead of the trends!

This thread sending me back into my PS history was a bit wild - what a never-ending journey I’ve been on!

I would say my status at the moment is realizing that there is no “HG” for me and that I’m not a one ring kinda gal after all - I want them ALL!! lol…I’ve also realized that my true passion is with natural antique stones, though I do have a love for modern cuts as well.

Currently on the wish list is a new large OMC (haven’t landed my perfect combo yet like you did with Amelia!!), a fully original antique diamond ring, and a bold gold sitch with an MRB.

Anyway, I’m just going to keep waiting for new pics and videos of Amelia, who is beyond incredible!! :) :)

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
This thread sending me back into my PS history was a bit wild - what a never-ending journey I’ve been on!

I would say my status at the moment is realizing that there is no “HG” for me and that I’m not a one ring kinda gal after all - I want them ALL!! lol…I’ve also realized that my true passion is with natural antique stones, though I do have a love for modern cuts as well.

Currently on the wish list is a new large OMC (haven’t landed my perfect combo yet like you did with Amelia!!), a fully original antique diamond ring, and a bold gold sitch with an MRB.

Anyway, I’m just going to keep waiting for new pics and videos of Amelia, who is beyond incredible!! :) :)

So fun to read your thoughts! I also get a jolt reading my own threads from 10-15 years ago (yikes!) so I don’t usually go there lol But like you my focus has changed from then to now.

Like you I love my ering and don’t feel any need to upgrade. Instead I have started exploring coloured gemstones. And like you I still feel very connected to old cut diamonds and antique jewelry. I just bought a mint condition 18k wg Belaise wedding band with pristine engraving. And tonight I snagged my first OECs in over a decade! Back to my old eBay stalking. And while I used to dream of bigger bigger BIGGER diamonds and gems, after finally getting a substantial (to me) gemstone ring (4ct star sapphire) I have learned I prefer the comfort/ease of wearing smaller-scale, multi-stone rings and bands on my dominant hand. Which is nice because it fits my budget much better and so I can enjoy my hobby more fully.

Anyway, thanks for the trip down memory lane and the thoughts it prompted! @oldcutclubmember sorry for the thread jack! But this conversation seems to fit the theme of your thread!

oldcutclubmember

Brilliant_Rock

I don’t think I’m really a ORTRTA kind of a person either! I enjoy mixing and matching and coming up with different stacks and wearing multiple rings on one hand. I am looking forward to what you end up with for all of your wish list items!

oldcutclubmember

Brilliant_Rock
So fun to read your thoughts! I also get a jolt reading my own threads from 10-15 years ago (yikes!) so I don’t usually go there lol But like you my focus has changed from then to now.

Like you I love my ering and don’t feel any need to upgrade. Instead I have started exploring coloured gemstones. And like you I still feel very connected to old cut diamonds and antique jewelry. I just bought a mint condition 18k wg Belaise wedding band with pristine engraving. And tonight I snagged my first OECs in over a decade! Back to my old eBay stalking. And while I used to dream of bigger bigger BIGGER diamonds and gems, after finally getting a substantial (to me) gemstone ring (4ct star sapphire) I have learned I prefer the comfort/ease of wearing smaller-scale, multi-stone rings and bands on my dominant hand. Which is nice because it fits my budget much better and so I can enjoy my hobby more fully.

Anyway, thanks for the trip down memory lane and the thoughts it prompted! @oldcutclubmember sorry for the thread jack! But this conversation seems to fit the theme of your thread!

I totally agree with you! I don’t think it was really a thread jack at all!! It totally brought me back to my early days of PS and it’s been a wonderful walk down the memory lane!

Now that I have my 10 year upgrade, my number 1 wishlist item is a cornflower blue sapphire ring (one of my kids’ birthstone). I came close last year but it was already on hold when I came across it and subsequently sold. But currently my bling fund is completely drained empty so I will be on ban island for a good while!

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don’t think I’m really a ORTRTA kind of a person either! I enjoy mixing and matching and coming up with different stacks and wearing multiple rings on one hand. I am looking forward to what you end up with for all of your wish list items!

I've realized that I want One Ring To Rule Them All - "them all" being another 20 or so rings that I can rotate at will.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Huuuuuuge is all I think when I see these new photos! And classy lol

oldcutclubmember

Brilliant_Rock
I've realized that I want One Ring To Rule Them All - "them all" being another 20 or so rings that I can rotate at will.
LOL you are right, @mrs-b, this is exactly it lol

Huuuuuuge is all I think when I see these new photos! And classy lol
It’s CRAZY but I am totally used to the size already :shock: It’s not until I compare it to my 2+ ct rings that I realize how BIG this ring actually is and how much finger coverage it offers. I don’t have DSS for sure but I sure am quite comfortable with this size already LOL Considering that the faux bezel adds more mm to the ring than the stone, that took much less time than I imagined LOL. Now, I don’t think I would ever want to go bigger than what I am seeing now as I enjoy seeing the shoulder details on the ring and having some finger space/skin showing on the outer edges. Also, I don’t think I would want a ring to be any higher off the finger than this either.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think you are benefitting partly from the comfort and ease of this style of mount, which I remember being so easy to wear I would forget it was even on! It looks perfect on your finger and suits your style. You absolutely don't need to go any bigger!

Eli22

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Some pics from the weekend

E6015D31-1301-4D8F-A549-8719508E977C.jpeg

90BC529D-C08F-418B-BFA1-270B200BE321.jpeg

28C2A06A-381E-4336-8E6C-B22F877212F1.jpeg

11EDCFA5-50CA-4A2A-9051-9121F818521F.jpeg

Perspective shot from today!
C7C864B0-D9FB-49F7-9E2F-5F7F38BC9FFA.jpeg

This is just fantastically gorgeous @oldcutclubmember !!! Congratulations on 10 years...such an amazing find, and from the same designer as your original ring = meant to be! Enjoy this beauty (a chunky OEC is now on my list :bigsmile:)!!

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congratulations!!! I remember this SS setting. It’s is one of their most beautiful. I had looked at this too when I had an old cut. She is truly romantic, magical and so so lovely. May you treasure for years to come.

springsparkle

Shiny_Rock
Amelia is absolutely stunning!! And in the most gorgeous Single Stone setting- What a find!! Congratulations on your anniversary and your beautiful new ring! :kiss2:

oldcutclubmember

Brilliant_Rock
Fantastic.
Thank you!!

This is just fantastically gorgeous @oldcutclubmember !!! Congratulations on 10 years...such an amazing find, and from the same designer as your original ring = meant to be! Enjoy this beauty (a chunky OEC is now on my list :bigsmile:)!!
Thank you! I still cannot believe my luck! Please post when you start your search for a chunky OEC!! lol

Congratulations!!! I remember this SS setting. It’s is one of their most beautiful. I had looked at this too when I had an old cut. She is truly romantic, magical and so so lovely. May you treasure for years to come.
Thank you so much! I remember your visits to SS back in the day and your pics were so helpful in my decision to go with SS for my ER. I just realized that this setting actually has a lot of similarities to MK's reset by VC (the details on the shoulder - even though OEC vs FC; the faux bezel, the architectural gallery, etc). I have always loved MK and her VC setting as well. She was/is a beauty and SO well cut for a genuine old cut.

Amelia is absolutely stunning!! And in the most gorgeous Single Stone setting- What a find!! Congratulations on your anniversary and your beautiful new ring! :kiss2:
Thank you so much! I am so grateful for PS for leading me to this beautiful ring!

Pomelo

Brilliant_Rock
@oldcutclubmember I keep coming back to look at your ring, it's so beautiful!

If I may ask - do you have the table % please? It's deliciously small. I've ctrl + s'd your thread but couldn't find any mention of the table, and also held up a ruler against my monitor but I don't think it's an accurate way of figuring out the table size :geek2:

oldcutclubmember

Brilliant_Rock
@oldcutclubmember I keep coming back to look at your ring, it's so beautiful!

If I may ask - do you have the table % please? It's deliciously small. I've ctrl + s'd your thread but couldn't find any mention of the table, and also held up a ruler against my monitor but I don't think it's an accurate way of figuring out the table size :geek2:

Thank you so much @Pomelo!

The table is 48% and depth is 61.9%.

A few more pics! I finally got it resized yesterday so I am able to stack without cutting off circulation or risking another cut on my knuckle. :lol:

IMG_8567.jpeg

IMG_8565.jpeg

IMG_8572.jpeg

IMG_8586.jpeg

Pomelo

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you so much @Pomelo!

The table is 48% and depth is 61.9%.

A few more pics! I finally got it resized yesterday so I am able to stack without cutting off circulation or risking another cut on my knuckle. :lol:

IMG_8567.jpeg

IMG_8565.jpeg

IMG_8572.jpeg

IMG_8586.jpeg

Loving the stacks, which one is your favourite / most reached for?

Not gonna lie, I love the bold look with your 5 stone OEC. It’s like baby OECs with mumma stone. Or more like teenage OECs with big daddy!

oldcutclubmember

Brilliant_Rock
Loving the stacks, which one is your favourite / most reached for?

Not gonna lie, I love the bold look with your 5 stone OEC. It’s like baby OECs with mumma stone. Or more like teenage OECs with big daddy!

My favorite “look” is the same one that you mentioned! I really like the proportions of the 5 stone in relation to the ring. BUT, on a practical level, it’s so blingy that I can’t wear it too often lol. It’s a LOT of diamonds on one finger and a bit bulky. This combo has inspired another item to be added on my wishlist though lol I would love a curved OEC 7 stone band (maybe just ever so slightly graduated) that sits a little more flushed to Amelia at about 3 ctw. It never ends :lol:

The one I reach for the most is the first combo (my original WB and plain platinum band in between). It’s more practical and just easy wear. That’s the one I am wearing today!
E94160E2-935E-4A5F-AF87-2B43CD1A6136.jpeg

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Do you have a thread on that gorgeous OEC five stone? I’d love to see more photos.

oldcutclubmember

Brilliant_Rock
Do you have a thread on that gorgeous OEC five stone? I’d love to see more photos.

I don't have a separate SMTB thread on it but I did make a post when I couldn't figure out the hallmarks.

Here are some additional pics. I did end up getting the prongs tightened and cleaned up a bit as 2 of the stones were loose (rattling). I think the ring has been worked on (badly) many times over the last 100 years as temporary fixes. There were random gobs of metal by the prongs and basket that weren't really doing anything. Also, I think one of the stone is a later replacement as it appears to be more of a transitional with the tiniest of a culet. I do think about resetting the stones but really don't want to demolish an antique either. So I don't plan on a reset until I have to due structural issues. I enjoy wearing it and I usually wear it on its own instead of on a stack. I have also used it as a travel ring.

IMG_8716.jpeg

IMG_8719.jpeg

IMG_8714.jpeg

IMG_8713.jpeg

9E222EFC-D8BD-4731-B4F2-8EA3253E0D82.jpeg

Last edited:

oldcutclubmember

Brilliant_Rock
This ring is just beautiful!! Congratulations!!
Thank you so much!

Your ring is beautiful!!! :kiss2: Do you mind sharing what size finger you have?
Thank you! My finger size is probably around 5.25 but I have bigger knuckles so the ring is sized to 5.5. I prefer my rings to be more on the loose side to allow for stacking so 5.5 is perfect.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Rather spectacular!!! Happy anniversary!

cheers--Sharon

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results