shape
carat
color
clarity

#JOTW Amelia 4.27ct OEC - The most serendipitous 10 year upgrade

oldcutclubmember

Brilliant_Rock
Our 10 year wedding anniversary is coming up in a couple of months. My original ER was a 2 ct vintage asscher set in a custom Single Stone setting. I have always been drawn to vintage/antique stones and style, and over the years, I have accumulated a few more antique stones including 2 OMCs. What I didn’t have was an OEC, other than in melees. So for my 10 year upgrade, I wanted a 4+ ct OEC or Transitional around 10mm in JKL range but was more flexible depending on the face up color. I started saving and thinking about an upgrade last summer and placed my ER on consignment with Grace. I would see potential stones come up here and there but nothing really caught my attention enough to seriously reach out to the vendor. They were either too big, too small, too spready, too tinted or way out of budget. The closest stone I saw in person and liked was an extremely white facing 5.03ct GIA N Transitional that Grace has. However, I really wanted to stay under the 5ct mark to avoid the big price jump and ideally, slightly chunkier facets. I told myself that I would consider it as a possibility if it was still available after my ER sold. I was not in a rush.

Here is the 5.03 N.
IMG_8182.jpeg

Then about 2 weeks ago, on a lovely Sunday night, I was browsing PS and clicked on the “Somebody’s Gotta Buy This Piece!” thread. I hadn’t been checking on this thread all that regularly lately because savvy PSers usually post very desirable, beautiful pieces with excellent prices. These pieces generally get snatched up within the hour, if not minutes, by not just active PSers but often lurkers and dealers. Since I was saving up for the upgrade, I had been trying to avoid smaller temptations by staying away from this thread. But that night, I clicked on it and saw that about 11 hours priorago, @lala646 had posted the most glorious 4.27 OEC in a Single Stone setting from TRR at an amazing price point. Apparently it had been on hold at some point during the day but was once again available when I came across the post. I immediately sent the link to @lulu_ma and @Mreader and started humming and hawing over the ring. I loved the setting and the size, and the numbers looked like it had potential, but the facets, the cut and the face up color would need to be further evaluated. Both @lulu_ma and @Mreader encouraged me to get it to at least see it in person. After reading the fine print that I would be able to return it in person to a nearby storefront for a tiny re-stocking fee, I bit the bullet and bought it.

After 2 agonizingly long days, the ring arrived and it was quite dirty! What I had thought were tarnished metal bits in the pictures were actually caked on grime and gunk! Before I could really study it for its light play and tint, I had to scrub and clean the ring. Once it was all cleaned up, I was able to really admire its beauty. It had the big contrasting chunky facets that I had been wanting, was lively and displayed gorgeous pastels.

The shank was a bit bent out of round and it was .25-.5 size too small but I shoved it on my ring finger (scratching my knuckle in the process) and tried to find as many different light sources as I could for the next few days. I took it to every room in the house, to work, the car and outdoors, trying to see it from every angle. I got to know its good sides and not as good sides. I took videos and pics and sent them to @lulu_ma, @Mreader and @Cerulean for their opinions. Even though I loved it, I wanted to make sure that the great price wasn’t clouding my judgment. Once I was confident that I wasn’t just being influenced by the “deal,” I knew it was a keeper.

A HUGE THANK YOU to @lala646, @lulu_ma, @Mreader and @Cerulean for helping me obtain the most serendipitous upgrade. I can’t believe I ended up with another platinum Single Stone ring after 10 years! I love the setting so much that I don’t see myself resetting for many years to come, if ever. I am delighted with all the details: the shell/fan shaped prongs, the cushion shape of the faux bezel, the hidden pave on the basket and donut, the delicate yet architectural gallery and the marvelous shoulders! I had imagined my upgrade in a simple solitaire so this ring is beyond what I had expected. The only thing that does bother me is that the stone is currently situated slightly askew in relation to the facet points. I am not sure if the stone was originally set that way or if has shifted over the years. I assume the prongs would need to be lifted to make the adjustment and I don’t think I want to mess with the prongs for the time being.

Last edited:

oldcutclubmember

Brilliant_Rock
So here is Amelia, meaning “hardworking” and “striving,” because marriage certainly takes a lot of effort, and the last 10 years definitely had its shares of trials and tribulations. This ring is both a celebration and a reminder to myself that marriage is hard work and to not take it for granted.

4.27 ct
GIA M VS2
10.16-10.57 x 6.42mm

IMG_8025.jpeg

IMG_7999.jpeg

IMG_8036.jpeg

IMG_7891.jpeg

IMG_8059.jpeg

IMG_8077.jpeg

Last edited:

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
I LOVEEEEE her! Miss Amelia has the sweetest, chunky faceting. She is really SO perfect on your hand.:kiss2:

She was meant to be!

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh my goodness, so you are the lucky new owner of this stunner! The diamond performs beautifully and the setting is amazing. The good price point is the icing on the cake. It really does look perfect on you! Congrats!

HS4S_2

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
So very beautiful! Congratulations! I hope she brings you so much joy!

Mrsz1ppy

Brilliant_Rock
Our 10 year wedding anniversary is coming up in a couple of months. My original ER was a 2 ct vintage asscher set in a custom Single Stone setting. I have always been drawn to vintage/antique stones and style, and over the years, I have accumulated a few more antique stones including 2 OMCs. What I didn’t have was an OEC, other than in melees. So for my 10 year upgrade, I wanted a 4+ ct OEC or Transitional around 10mm in JKL range but was more flexible depending on the face up color. I started saving and thinking about an upgrade last summer and placed my ER on consignment with Grace. I would see potential stones come up here and there but nothing really caught my attention enough to seriously reach out to the vendor. They were either too big, too small, too spready, too tinted or way out of budget. The closest stone I saw in person and liked was an extremely white facing 5.03ct GIA N Transitional that Grace has. However, I really wanted to stay under the 5ct mark to avoid the big price jump and ideally, slightly chunkier facets. I told myself that I would consider it as a possibility if it was still available after my ER sold. I was not in a rush.

Here is the 5.03 N.
IMG_8182.jpeg

Then about 2 weeks ago, on a lovely Sunday night, I was browsing PS and clicked on the “Somebody’s Gotta Buy This Piece!” thread. I hadn’t been checking on this thread all that regularly lately because savvy PSers usually post very desirable, beautiful pieces with excellent prices. These pieces generally get snatched up within the hour, if not minutes, by not just active PSers but often lurkers and dealers. Since I was saving up for the upgrade, I had been trying to avoid smaller temptations by staying away from this thread. But that night, I clicked on it and saw that about 11 hours priorago, @lala646 had posted the most glorious 4.27 OEC in a Single Stone setting from TRR at an amazing price point. Apparently it had been on hold at some point during the day but was once again available when I came across the post. I immediately sent the link to @lulu_ma and @Mreader and started humming and hawing over the ring. I loved the setting and the size, and the numbers looked like it had potential, but the facets, the cut and the face up color would need to be further evaluated. Both @lulu_ma and @Mreader encouraged me to get it to at least see it in person. After reading the fine print that I would be able to return it in person to a nearby storefront for a tiny re-stocking fee, I bit the bullet and bought it.

After 2 agonizingly long days, the ring arrived and it was quite dirty! What I had thought were tarnished metal bits in the pictures were actually caked on grime and gunk! Before I could really study it for its light play and tint, I had to scrub and clean the ring. Once it was all cleaned up, I was able to really admire its beauty. It had the big contrasting chunky facets that I had been wanting, was lively and displayed gorgeous pastels.

The shank was a bit bent out of round and it was .25-.5 size too small but I shoved it on my ring finger (scratching my knuckle in the process) and tried to find as many different light sources as I could for the next few days. I took it to every room in the house, to work, the car and outdoors, trying to see it from every angle. I got to know its good sides and not as good sides. I took videos and pics and sent them to @lulu_ma, @Mreader and @Cerulean for their opinions. Even though I loved it, I wanted to make sure that the great price wasn’t clouding my judgment. Once I was confident that I wasn’t just being influenced by the “deal,” I knew it was a keeper.

A HUGE THANK YOU to @lala646, @lulu_ma, @Mreader and @Cerulean for helping me obtain the most serendipitous upgrade. I can’t believe I ended up with another platinum Single Stone ring after 10 years! I love the setting so much that I don’t see myself resetting for many years to come, if ever. I am delighted with all the details: the shell/fan shaped prongs, the cushion shape of the faux bezel, the hidden pave on the basket and donut, the delicate yet architectural gallery and the marvelous shoulders! I had imagined my upgrade in a simple solitaire so this ring is beyond what I had expected. The only thing that does bother me is that the stone is currently situated slightly askew in relation to the facet points. I am not sure if the stone was originally set that way or if has shifted over the years. I assume the prongs would need to be lifted to make the adjustment and I don’t think I want to mess with the prongs for the time being.

Thank you for sharing the story! What a great way to upgrade, and so glad your resources here could help.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
It is absolutely gorgeous and looks perfect on your finger. And what luck to find this gem already set in such a glorious mounting. The perfect call back to your original e-ring.

I love the history of pre-loved pieces like this. Eventually all of our finest gems will change hands. And these older beauties have always had such a long and glorious history before they come to us. This mounting feels familiar... though maybe that is just the singlestone signature style coming through. It would be a fun twist if there was a PS connection somewhere in its past.

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh wow!! That is one stunning ring! And she looks perfect on your hand! I just love the facet pattern and the setting is amazing!! Enjoy your new beauty!!

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh my gosh, just stunning and what a beautiful setting :kiss2:

oldcutclubmember

Brilliant_Rock
Oh my goodness, so you are the lucky new owner of this stunner! The diamond performs beautifully and the setting is amazing. The good price point is the icing on the cake. It really does look perfect on you! Congrats!
Everything just lined up and happened within minutes! The setting is very different from what I had in mind for this upgrade but I absolutely love it!

So very beautiful! Congratulations! I hope she brings you so much joy!
Thank you so much!! I have been admiring your new beauty as well!

Thank you for sharing the story! What a great way to upgrade, and so glad your resources here could help.
It definitely would not have happened without PS!

It is absolutely gorgeous and looks perfect on your finger. And what luck to find this gem already set in such a glorious mounting. The perfect call back to your original e-ring.

I love the history of pre-loved pieces like this. Eventually all of our finest gems will change hands. And these older beauties have always had such a long and glorious history before they come to us. This mounting feels familiar... though maybe that is just the singlestone signature style coming through. It would be a fun twist if there was a PS connection somewhere in its past.
Thank you! I was also thinking that it looked familiar but didn’t find anything on PS after a cursory search. I can tell that the ring was well loved and worn often. I am very curious as to its history as well.

DmdRunner

Rough_Rock
Wow! That is such a beautiful diamond, and I am so glad the timing worked out for you--meant to be!

oldcutclubmember

Brilliant_Rock
Oh wow!! That is one stunning ring! And she looks perfect on your hand! I just love the facet pattern and the setting is amazing!! Enjoy your new beauty!!
Thank you! Is it crazy that I am already used to its size??? I don’t notice the size until I compare it to my 2.81 OMC. It looks huge next to the OMC lol

Oh my gosh, just stunning and what a beautiful setting :kiss2:
Thank you so much! I can’t believe I lucked out with such a beautiful perfect setting as a whole package!

She is gorgeous!!!! I love your story… it was truly meant to be.

I *almost* grabbed her, SO happy you did! It’s like a Cinderella story :kiss2:
You will definitely find yours!! Fingers crossed!

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Looks like a lucky find indeed! Pairs so well with your wedding band too. Sounds like you found exactly what you were hoping to find - love the story! Congrats on the anniversary - wear the ring in health and happiness always!!

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nothing short of amazing! Those prongs are so unique, like little ginkgo leaves. Kismet that everything worked out, including it being a deal!

oldcutclubmember

Brilliant_Rock
Wow! That is such a beautiful diamond, and I am so glad the timing worked out for you--meant to be!
Thank you! The timing was amazing and it happened way faster than I expected!

My goodness!!!!!! Amelia is amazing!
I think so too! ❤️❤️❤️

Gorgeous!!! :love:
I’m so happy that a dealer didn’t grab it before I could!

Looks like a lucky find indeed! Pairs so well with your wedding band too. Sounds like you found exactly what you were hoping to find - love the story! Congrats on the anniversary - wear the ring in health and happiness always!!
Thank you so much! Not that I have any bling money left but I don’t even need to look for a matching band!

oldcutclubmember

Brilliant_Rock
Nothing short of amazing! Those prongs are so unique, like little ginkgo leaves. Kismet that everything worked out, including it being a deal!
I am so happy to see you posting on PS again! :kiss2:
Thank you! The prongs are my favorite part too! That’s why I don’t want to mess with them until I absolutely have to!

Thank you!!

maryjane04

Brilliant_Rock
Oh I love heartwarming stories like these which make it all the more special. I definitely think this ring was meant for you and it looks perfect on your hand.

What a beauty Amelia is and she fits into your collection so well. It was meant to be.

SparklieBug

Brilliant_Rock
@oldcutclubmember Congratulations on ten years of marriage, and on this most-perfect ring! I just adore hearing stories like yours! So serendipitous for you to have checked in on the thread, and then to find the ring available again! How exciting to find that it's so gorgeous in its setting! The facet pattern is beautiful, and the little prongs are the best!

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
I am so thrilled for you. It’s an absolutely gorgeous piece and what a stellar price for a stone that size and a setting of that quality. The photos and vids are amazing!!

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh wow, Amelia is stunning in every way! Her setting so perfectly showcases her beautiful facets. :love: And I loved reading every part of your story. How wonderful that you came upon her at the exact right moment!

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well would you just LOOK at that…… :kiss2::kiss2:

The story of this ring is amazing - she was simply meant to be yours! I love everything about her & she fits your hand & style & wedding ring perfectly.

I love the basket - it reminds me of @missy ’s grandmothers ring that she wore for a while with the beautiful lattice work? Could that be the one people are thinking of? I think Missy may only have one picture of it, but it was a gorgeous ring.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results