shape
carat
color
clarity

After a nice green jade cabochon

camelotshadow

Rough_Rock
Premium
May I know how much you paid for the bangle? The bangle in the ebay link is def o treated. They rarely appear in this colour combi and if they do, add a few more zeroes to the price!

I think I would do a return if you are in doubt.
I paid $200 shipped...
so it was not $50...but still not $2000 :eek2:

What concerns me is the same lab certified that bangle A...

They certified these A too and they are half the price but the jade seller I asked says she thinks they are treated from the photos..

Icy plae lav blue 57 x 17 x 8 73 g $118  s-l1600 (6).jpg

Lav green $180 $150 58 x 14 x 7.4 58g   s-l1600.jpg

These look plausable but its the same lab & they are from China which is harder to return

Last edited:

Burmesedaze

Ideal_Rock
Trade
If the lab is dodge with one, I would discount it for all.

camelotshadow

Rough_Rock
Premium
If the lab is dodge with one, I would discount it for all.

I would have to agree but would not have been aware of it had I not found bangles with a A certificate that were so unmistakingly dyed. Arrrggggghhhh...It still not enough proof to open a ebay case. I guess I want it to be A grade!!!! I'll say it again how can a lab be in business giving A grade certificates to treated jade. How can one find a genuine lab to trust the certificte??? GiA says treated jade glows but this does not...
https://www.gia.edu/gems-gemology/fall-2015-labnotes-dyed-natural-green-jadeite

Maybe they have made a polymer that does not glow?

OOoh...:cry2:

Seaglow

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
If UV is a foolproof way to test treatment in jade, then it would be so easy and we would hardly need labs. In reality, Jade is one of the stones where it can be difficult to detect treatment. Type A Jade will be inert in UV but impregnated and dyed jadeites may fluoresce blue, yellow, or show no fluorescence.

camelotshadow

Rough_Rock
Premium
If UV is a foolproof way to test treatment in jade, then it would be so easy and we would hardly need labs. In reality, Jade is one of the stones where it can be difficult to detect treatment. Type A Jade will be inert in UV but impregnated and dyed jadeites may fluoresce blue, yellow, or show no fluorescence.

Too bad as if it did glow then I would know it was treated but lack of glow is not conclusive proof its not treated...I did take gem lab & you have to do a few tests but I don't have fancy equipment. My other would be to try to get an estimate of density but last time I tried that for a platinum earring the readings were all over the place so it really was not help but that was a very small light sample of about a gram. This bangle is close to 70 grams so I guess its worth a try but the mettler scale is packed away & its heavy.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wouldn't try for a change of average density from .001% volume replacement. Might dare look for fillers with a good optical microscope - while a top lab report is still in the mail ...

The concept of treatments is distressing enough sans disclosure issues :liar:

camelotshadow

Rough_Rock
Premium
I wouldn't try for a change of average density from .001% volume replacement. Might dare look for fillers with a good optical microscope - while a top lab report is still in the mail ...

The concept of treatments is distressing enough sans disclosure issues :liar:

Mason Kay says that the density is not changed enough to e a good test. I have been using 15X loupe.I have an old gemscope & a phase contrast microscope a special kind of optics for seeing clear organisms...I better get working on it as I don;t have time or money to waste sending it to a lab like MAson. My inclination is that if the lab has certified obvious treated jade as A then its unreliable or just a fraud in which case someone should look into it but I guess that sort of things may be common place in China.
:cry2:

camelotshadow

Rough_Rock
Premium
Well, had it under th phase contrast microscope but had to shine a flashlight on it to look into it. Not very easy but was able to see some things. Mostly black specks that sort of run in veins. they are thoughout the bangle Would the acid eat them. Not really sure what to look for but that was the biggest thing I saw. Will look some more tomorrow...aaaahhhh tired eyes...

camelotshadow

Rough_Rock
Premium
Interesting article...

https://gemlab.com.sg/pdf/jade.pdf

According to it seems most of the treated but 1 had some affect with UV light.

Seems density is not a good test so I won't waste time with that.

Most say Infared spectroscopy is the best way to id treated jade but that's not something I can do.

I'll have to hang it from a string as sonically its a dull pink ...

I'm trying to research is the black specks which seem to be in a vein /track line are good or bad??? would bleaching remove them?:ugeek:

Mostly I guess a rather translucent though filled with alot of fine stone lines & some cotton pale lavandar bangle would be more $ than $200? It does have fine pores on the surface under high magnification (15X). If it was polymer filled would it be more smooth

camelotshadow

Rough_Rock
Premium
jade angle zz P1170816 red.jpg

jade angle zz P1170677 (2) red slight purple.jpg
This is something a bit concerning as these seem more purple not black & seem to run in that stoneline..???

camelotshadow

Rough_Rock
Premium
Suspended from string & struck w end of tweezers its more of a plink not a ring...Its pretty but I don;t want to spend $200 for polymer jade...
Still the jade seller that says it looks like treated from pics how does she know. She thinks she can tell by looking at it & the experts seem to say that's not possible...So what's to say her A jade is not the same as this?

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Interesting article...

https://gemlab.com.sg/pdf/jade.pdf

According to it seems most of the treated but 1 had some affect with UV light.

Seems density is not a good test so I won't waste time with that.

Most say Infared spectroscopy is the best way to id treated jade but that's not something I can do.

I'll have to hang it from a string as sonically its a dull pink ...

I'm trying to research is the black specks which seem to be in a vein /track line are good or bad??? would bleaching remove them?:ugeek:

Mostly I guess a rather translucent though filled with alot of fine stone lines & some cotton pale lavandar bangle would be more $ than $200? It does have fine pores on the surface under high magnification (15X). If it was polymer filled would it be more smooth
Polymer filled jade often has a fine, weblike surface which is left from the acid etching process before it is filled with polymer. This is concealed to some degree with wax polishing, but not totally. Some untreated jade has pits on the surface, especially if the jadeite crystals are coarser, in which case the softer silica between the jadeite crystals undercuts when polishing. However, this is a different look than the fine etching of treated jade.

camelotshadow

Rough_Rock
Premium
Wow...very nice article!!!!

http://hk.ssef.ch/fileadmin/Documents/PDF/HK_Jade.pdf

I did more looking under the microscopes & may see spaces if its not crystal structure as I can't be sure but something is lighting up & bouncing light from inside. Would untreated jade have that I don;'t know..it could be that dried mud thing some mention. I have to expect its B grade but maybe a chance its not.
I tried to take a picture of some of the inclusions but its really hard to get the camera to see into the small eyepiece...

Think I'm at 100 X could try the 400 but I don;t know what I will see as its not a microscope for large objects...Wish me luck

Last edited:

camelotshadow

Rough_Rock
Premium
Polymer filled jade often has a fine, weblike surface which is left from the acid etching process before it is filled with polymer. This is concealed to some degree with wax polishing, but not totally. Some untreated jade has pits on the surface, especially if the jadeite crystals are coarser, in which case the softer silica between the jadeite crystals undercuts when polishing. However, this is a different look than the fine etching of treated jade.

Not really seeing weblike surface but its heavily pitted. Don;t think there is a coating on it.

Thought I saw a lavendar fiber inside but it could have been lint on top but I have not been using a lavandar towel...

Would bleached jade still have black inclusions? I guess it can't get everywhere...

I'll hope some pictures came out & post them.

Thanks for the tips!

Got some pics...:appl:
Black inclusions
jade microscope P1170863.jpg

Light reflections & a single yellowish inclusion?
jade microscope P1170859.jpg
More black inclusion & there are numerous but really not eye visible.
jade microscope P1170873.jpg

jade microscope P1170869.jpg

Last edited:

camelotshadow

Rough_Rock
Premium
Trying to return it thru ebay for internal cracks but seller if putting up a fight he does not want it back...
I imagine if it was untreated it might not ring because of the cracks which go completely across it in at least 4 areas...???
jade 57 x 15 x 9 lavP1170706 (3) return.jpg
g if its grade A if it were I'd forgive the cracks as stonelines but these cracks in a acid treated jade leave it really subject to falling to pieces with a small thump.

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Burmesedaze I really like some of the stuff by the facebook lady but I'm still so sketchy about the buying process (don't want to use direct transfer but want 5% discount lol).

I save money for my tourmaline ring and keep looking/learning!

Burmesedaze

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Haha buy something small and cheap first and see how it goes.

She posted this today and my heart skipped a beat. Except I don't like the setting and the cab is rather flat at 1.7mm. But that texture and colour!

IMG-ded3bea0286367e3bd792917e5f7bfe1-V.png

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That is gorgeous!!!! How is the price for what you're getting?

Hehe every time I want a thick dome but have no money I hear Seaglow's voice (online voice?) telling me to get a thinner piece.

I'm lucky in that I'm the ultimate green hussy so I reckon I can buy almost anything. That's why I need you guys to reign me in though and make sure it's a decent green cuz I've got green blinkers.

Burmesedaze

Ideal_Rock
Trade
That is gorgeous!!!! How is the price for what you're getting?

Hehe every time I want a thick dome but have no money I hear Seaglow's voice (online voice?) telling me to get a thinner piece.

I'm lucky in that I'm the ultimate green hussy so I reckon I can buy almost anything. That's why I need you guys to reign me in though and make sure it's a decent green cuz I've got green blinkers.

Oh, not getting that. But if something else comes along similar and better I would. I prefer getting cabs unset. But that's the type I like!!

Lol you will be more discerning after a while. Thinner ones plentiful in Myanmar but I prefer the Chinese proportions. DOME.

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Burmesedaze Do you wear jade beads? I want a string of jade beads. No idea if I'll wear it but I want one!!!!

That's on the list!

I loved the beads I got from Yokedee but they are on that elastic string which I find a tad irritating.

Oooh I'm going to Singapore this year (braving an 8 hour flight with the kid)!!! Any good jewellery to be had there?

Burmesedaze

Ideal_Rock
Trade
@Burmesedaze Do you wear jade beads? I want a string of jade beads. No idea if I'll wear it but I want one!!!!

That's on the list!

I loved the beads I got from Yokedee but they are on that elastic string which I find a tad irritating.

Oooh I'm going to Singapore this year (braving an 8 hour flight with the kid)!!! Any good jewellery to be had there?

Lol I have a lot and I wear the non green ones more.

Hmm maybe the jade shop system Chinatown I went to and random shops at Far East Plaza if you nose around a bit.

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Take a pic for me if you wear them in the coming weeks!

Ooh I think I can walk to Far East Plaza!!! What am I looking for? Gold or jade shops?

I booked this hotel with a giant pool for the boys so Hubby and the kid can play there while I sneak off to look for stuff!

How was the jade shop you went to? Were prices reasonable?

Burmesedaze

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Take a pic for me if you wear them in the coming weeks!

Ooh I think I can walk to Far East Plaza!!! What am I looking for? Gold or jade shops?

I booked this hotel with a giant pool for the boys so Hubby and the kid can play there while I sneak off to look for stuff!

How was the jade shop you went to? Were prices reasonable?

I'd say they have good stuff with nice proportions for jade and are honest. You have to bargain nicely but i think prices are fair. https://www.allaboutjade.com.sg/pages/contact-us

For Far East there are shops a plenty so take your time to look. I've not bought from there before (I'm in Yangon so don't need to) but I think it's a decent selection if you aren't street a brand name. There are a couple of shops on the ground floor that sell really high end stuff. Probably for the rich Indonesian clients.

Burmesedaze

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I just lasered my face and neck this weekend. No neck shots in the near term!

Curse of the milia seeds and skin tags :razz:

Burmesedaze

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Far East = semi precious, precious, gold, costume, new, secondhand, plenty!!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results