shape
carat
color
clarity

After a nice green jade cabochon

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Burmesedaze I'm having a giggle at the scale in which we pine!

You pine for the glowy earrings whereas I would kiss the ground for your ring!

More pics of it when you can please!!!!!!!!
You know, if you are inspired that's the best any jewelry can ever do for you! Price differences...who cares! It's wonderful to be able to love all levels of gorgeousness.

Burmesedaze

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Ecuador and Peru :kiss2:

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for the refresher....maybe you'll see some SA jadeite. I'm not sure how wide spread it is out of Guatemala.

Seaglow

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Here's the trick to buying nice colored jade without sky-high prices. The higher the dome, clarity, and transluscency, the more expensive. The thickness plays a big part because the nice greens are usually veins and seldom occurs thick. So for budget friendly, nice-colored jadeite, go for the thin but transluscent ones. They don't look bad set in a halo.

Costs $$$ and not $$,$$$. Lol.

Here are samples. These are set in temporary setting made with silver. They can go apple green, but I like them a bit darker, which is a matter of preference.

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here's the trick to buying nice colored jade without sky-high prices. The higher the dome, clarity, and transluscency, the more expensive. The thickness plays a big part because the nice greens are usually veins and seldom occurs thick. So for budget friendly, nice-colored jadeite, go for the thin but transluscent ones. They don't look bad set in a halo.

Costs $$$ and not $$,$$$. Lol.

Here are samples. These are set in temporary setting made with silver. They can go apple green, but I like them a bit darker, which is a matter of preference.

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg
This really is So true, Seaglow. Thanks for pointing it out explicitly. Also, with thinner cabs, if they are backed with metal, it creates an extra reflective surface which bounces light back to the eye. Gold and silver metals create a different look and are often chosen to best go with the color of jadeite. So these pieces are often really luminous.

Burmesedaze

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I prefer apple greens. We should buy them in a lot and div them up between you and me a/c to the colours!

True that thinner cabs are more the order of the day. But there's just something about a nice, round dome that reflects light a different way and looks more, whole. But it's ok, I'm not going to throw 5 digits on one anytime soon!

Burmesedaze

Ideal_Rock
Trade
For mellowyellowgirl's reference. I happened to have worn this pair of jadeite earrings with me this weekend.

The domes are also on the thinner side but not by too much. This pair has good translucency and the backing is yellow gold iirc. Best part being, the jade pair without the setting and diamonds were either the same price as my round jadeite cab sans setting or a tad cheaper.

I love fresh greens like these more than the round cab.

20170917_013445-1.jpg 20170917_013606-1.jpg

tand*m

Shiny_Rock
Wow... so many pretties in this thread!

Somewhat of a tangent so please let me know if I should start another thread, but how do you think about buying jade (nephrite) from sources like the Americas (california, canada, etc)? The coloring is obviously really different and the availability is too, so the prices are much more in line with my budget esp as I learn more.:read:

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow... so many pretties in this thread!

Somewhat of a tangent so please let me know if I should start another thread, but how do you think about buying jade (nephrite) from sources like the Americas (california, canada, etc)? The coloring is obviously really different and the availability is too, so the prices are much more in line with my budget esp as I learn more.:read:
I have been a collector of nephrite jade and love it. It has its own special kind of beauty which is just different than jadeite. Many people don't really understand it because they immediately think of low quality nephrite which is readily available. The best qualities are beautiful, rare and can be expensive. A great cutter of niche nephrite jades is Allan SPehar of jade divers. He's made my husbands bangles, some of mine, and done work for collectors all around the world. He's actually located in San Jose! He works with some of the most soulful, Californian nephrite jade, which really capture the spirit of Big Sur and the dramatic land around it!
I don't think of nephrite as a replacement for jadeite, or vice versa. Each are truly their own. However, I do believe a beautiful nephrite piece can give enormous pleasure and can be very beautiful.

Last edited:

tand*m

Shiny_Rock
Thanks @Bluegemz!

It was actually on a road trip down hwy 1 a few years back that got me interested in jade... I had no idea that Big Sur even had jade!

I wil have to check out jadedivers, thanks for the rec, that sounds like he is a great source with amazing pieces.

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks @Bluegemz!

It was actually on a road trip down hwy 1 a few years back that got me interested in jade... I had no idea that Big Sur even had jade!

I wil have to check out jadedivers, thanks for the rec, that sounds like he is a great source with amazing pieces.
You are most welcome! I'm passionate about this. Oh yes, Big Sur has amazing pieces. Alan also dives for this local California jade. All this is his hobby, but he's a true professional in craftsmanship. He also carries some of the best Wyoming green, sometimes the extremely rare, mined out Edwards black,( which Tiffanys bought up in the 1960's. It's been mined out for decades, but this is the blackest and toughest jade in the world. He gets his supply from old stock. held by collectors.) He also carries Siberian jade, in cream and green colors...and other rare niche jades such as Vonsens Blue from Mendocino and a bluish black Seattle Washington jade.
He has an etsy store with some things, but he really is great with custom work and very reasonable. He can make wonderful custom pendants, cabochons, disks and bangles.

tand*m

Shiny_Rock
Oh boy. I kind of want everything on his website... so incredible! There is really an earthiness to the jade pieces. I also find it really gratifying to be able to know more about the source of my jewelry. Can't beat a good story.

I've only had jadeite pendants (Asian family, so esp for girls a lot of presents are 24kt gold or jade jewelry) but am eyeing a bangle now. Yet another thing to save up for!

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh boy. I kind of want everything on his website... so incredible! There is really an earthiness to the jade pieces. I also find it really gratifying to be able to know more about the source of my jewelry. Can't beat a good story.

I've only had jadeite pendants (Asian family, so esp for girls a lot of presents are 24kt gold or jade jewelry) but am eyeing a bangle now. Yet another thing to save up for!
Yes, an earthiness really captures it beautifully. There is a soul of the land in them. There are some other dealers too.... one is from Siberia and keeps changing their store name. However, they have really interesting jades too. Let me see if I can find them. Another seller is 3 jade on eBay. Reputable but not quite the same quality or niche jades with a story about where they come from. If you go to the jadedivers Facebook page, there are many, many pictures of the custom work pieces.

Last edited:

tand*m

Shiny_Rock
This is so helpful. Thanks a ton!

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi ladies and Gents!!!

Okies I did some brief snooping! Didn't have too much time to look properly and this is where the jewelllry stores claim their certificates are from:

http://www.jja.com.hk/en/about_hkjsl.php

Is it legit?

I will go and actually try things on, ask for prices and come back to consult you all if it is legit. If it's a scam I won't waste time in these shops!

pwsg07

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Mellowyellowgirl, I'm happy to assist as much as I can.....

I have reached out to 2 acquaintances who are serious collectors and am waiting for who they recommend for cabochons. You see, sellers specialize in jthe jades which they carry. A bangle seller online may not have the best cabochons, and vice versa.

Off the top of my head, HiddenTreasureGems on Etsy sells some nice green cabochons. There is a seller in Hawaii by the name of 'Jade by Nikolai'. She is the daughter of a great jade dealer, who also studied at a famous American design school. Between her and her mother, they can probably find you what you want if you message her. I'm waiting to hear back anout her mothers shop and contact info.

Another seller who is on Singapore, ( her name is Nadir) has a site called ultimate jadeite on ebay and etsy. Though she doesn't sell cabochons on her site , you could message her and ask her if she can source a few. I've never purchased from her but know people who have.

Recently, I've been looking at 'All about jade' and 'Yokdee', but I've never purchased from them, nor do I know of anyone who had. ill keep you updated as I find out more.

For estate pieces, which is always a possibility,
especially if you want to pull the stone, ( also because of the old mine material and sometimes very high qualities that would be so much more expensive today) you could check in with Alohamemorabilia on ruby lane and etsy. There is also 'hawaii estate & jewelry buyers', 'Lang's antiques.' The last 2 always come with GiA certification. The first doesn't but they know their jade and are very trust worthy. They are frequently updating their site with new things.

Regarding types of greens for different prices, this is a huge topic. Basically, jadeite quality is judged by how the many qualities work together. But as in other colored stones, the main factors are color and texture, then flaws. For example, color (vivid with no brown or grey modifiers will be most valued) next, grain size and texture. Jade can have from rough to fine grain (crystal size...because it's an agglomerate stone made of many, individual crystals). Fine grain equals smooth color and translucence because the crystals are microcrystalline. Rough grain equals more opacity and patchier color distribution. You could for example buy a wonderful green stone with great color but more opaque. This would be much less expensive than a cabochon with vivid green which is also translucent.

Next cut and flaws. Cabochons should be cut well, not too thin or too thickly. Flaws include snow balls, fissures, clouds and discolored spots.

Say you want a lighter green color, ( less than vivid, but dreamy ), you could afford to buy greater translucence and better texture, etc. it's about deciding which qualities you most want for your money. For each quality that is high working together in the same piece, the piece will become exponentially more expensive. This is why true imperial green is so rare. Exceptional color, butter smooth texture, wonderful translucence, and no flaws.

It would be helpful if you posted some inspiration pictures of what inspired you and a budget range as a start.

Does grain size mean transparency? What is texture? Sorry I don't quite understand.

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Grain size is inherently linked to degree of transparency and texture. Imagine salt crystals...some are tiny and then there is large rock salt. These have a different visual texture when you look at them. The fine salt looks more homogeneous and even than the rock salt. In jade, it's the same idea. The most highly prized is highly compressed, with microscopic crystals not visible to the naked eye. The minerals which give jadeite their color is able to flow more evenly within the material. Some jadeite has large, visible to the naked eye crystals. This creates a patcher coloration and translucence, since there is more silica between the large jadeite crystals which obscures the passages of light traveling through the stone. This large crystal 'texture' is often described as 'coarse grain', ' sugar' texture, and it tends to look 'dry' by comparison with the moist or wet look of more compact varieties.
Whereas a microcrystalline jadeite, such as glass jade, is called ' ice' or 'glass'. Because light passages travel easily through this material, the stone often looks dewy and luminous. Jadeite texture is also affected by flaws and impurities to a degree, such as clouds, but is mainly linked with crystal grain size and how The crystals have intergrown. There are multiple descriptions for the various textures in jade...water jade, cooked rice, sticky rice, and on and on.

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium

pwsg07

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Based on my experience, the colour of the nephrite is not as vivid as the colour of the jadeite. The nephrite is always greyish and darker in tone. The best green nephrite I have seen is Siberian jade. But they are not as vivid colour as the jadeite. Jadeite has higher transparency than nephrite in general. I suggest you find the colour you want first. Then you decide which jade you want.

Australian chrysoprase has a unique saturated colour and you may consider as an alternative. But I have never seen Australian chrysoprase in high transparency.

pwsg07

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Grain size is inherently linked to degree of transparency and texture. Imagine salt crystals...some are tiny and then there is large rock salt. These have a different visual texture when you look at them. The fine salt looks more homogeneous and even than the rock salt. In jade, it's the same idea. The most highly prized is highly compressed, with microscopic crystals not visible to the naked eye. The minerals which give jadeite their color is able to flow more evenly within the material. Some jadeite has large, visible to the naked eye crystals. This creates a patcher coloration and translucence, since there is more silica between the large jadeite crystals which obscures the passages of light traveling through the stone. This large crystal 'texture' is often described as 'coarse grain', ' sugar' texture, and it tends to look 'dry' by comparison with the moist or wet look of more compact varieties.
Whereas a microcrystalline jadeite, such as glass jade, is called ' ice' or 'glass'. Because light passages travel easily through this material, the stone often looks dewy and luminous. Jadeite texture is also affected by flaws and impurities to a degree, such as clouds, but is mainly linked with crystal grain size and how The crystals have intergrown. There are multiple descriptions for the various textures in jade...water jade, cooked rice, sticky rice, and on and on.

The texture of jade is confusing. Your explanation is quite close to what I read in the Chinese jewellery books. But the other explanation I have learned simply mean the pattern of colour. But the chinese explanation is the combination of pattern of colour and transparency and grain size

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The texture of jade is confusing. Your explanation is quite close to what I read in the Chinese jewellery books. But the other explanation I have learned simply mean the pattern of colour. But the chinese explanation is the combination of pattern of colour and transparency.
Color distribution is often but not always related To grain size. This is because the colorant comes from other mineral fluids seeping in through cracks. Think of a snow cone, how they pour that syrup over the shaved ice. The ice is the jadeite. The color is the iron, magnesium, etc. a snow cone with chunky ice is going to have patchy syrup distribution. And very finely shaved ice is going to be colored more evenly.
a spot directly next to a crack which is exposed to heavy mineral fluid influx is going to be strongly colored no matter the grain, but further away from these cracks, the distribution of color depends on the growth and size of the crystals.

But it's more complicated than this. Basically, in jadeite, there is primary and secondary formation. Primary is basically your rough, coarse grain jade. Secondary is a recrystalization and greater compression through metamorphic process, leading to finer crystals. This tend to show up as glassy jadeite, and the fine stuff. It all depends on how it's developed under the earths crust.

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Based on my experience, the colour of the nephrite is not as vivid as the colour of the jadeite. The nephrite is always greyish and darker in tone. The best green nephrite I have seen is Siberian jade. But they are not as vivid colour as the jadeite. Jadeite has higher transparency than nephrite in general. I suggest you find the colour you want first. Then you decide which jade you want.

Australian chrysoprase has a unique saturated colour and you may consider as an alternative. But I have never seen Australian chrysoprase in high transparency.
I have to both agree and disagree on this point. There is plenty of not vivid jadeite out there. If your comparing with highly saturated imperial green jadeite, then yes, that's more vivid. And of course, jadeite comes in lavenders and beautiful bluish tones.... Some high quality green nephrite is very vivid and saturated, much more so than many green jade varieties of jadeite , though the greens tend to be a different tone, less blue and more yellow. Also nephrite have the purest blacks and purest whites of all the jades. It's a struggle to find this high quality material though and the market is awash with mis grade nephrite with duller colors.

I really think that they are two different things and don't work well as substitutes for each other, except for the compatible strengths of the 2 jades. Jadeite being slightly harder, but nephrite being slightly tougher.

I concur that's it's a good idea to start with the color you ant, and don't try to substitute jadeite for nephrite. One needs to really want the nephrite as first choice to be happy with it, because the two jades have such a different feeling to them.

Last edited:

pwsg07

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Color distribution is often but not always related To grain size. This is because the colorant comes from other mineral fluids seeping in through cracks. Think of a snow cone, how they pour that syrup over the shaved ice. The ice is the jadeite. The color is the iron, magnesium, etc. a snow cone with chunky ice is going to have patchy syrup distribution. And very finely shaved ice is going to be colored more evenly.
a spot directly next to a crack which is exposed to heavy mineral fluid influx is going to be strongly colored no matter the grain, but further away from these cracks, the distribution of color depends on the growth and size of the crystals.

But it's more complicated than this. Basically, in jadeite, there is primary and secondary formation. Primary is basically your rough, coarse grain jade. Secondary is a recrystalization and greater compression through metamorphic process, leading to finer crystals. This tend to show up as glassy jadeite, and the fine stuff. It all depends on how it's developed under the earths crust.

Jade is so difficult to understand. That's why I only buy single crystal gemstones.

There are two questions about jadeite I have never found the answers.

My mother has some jadeites. After long time of wearing those jadeite, some of them became greener. Her jade bangle has more green lines after wearing for 20+ years. The Chinese believes the green jadeites become greener after long time of wearing them. My only thought is that maybe the body temperature is a heat treatment for jade.

My friend has a pair of icy white jades. They look identical in term of colour, and transparency. However, when I touch them, one piece is cooler than the other piece. She also has a ring that is noticeably cooler than other jadeite. I don't know any explanation to this.

pwsg07

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I have to both agree and disagree on this point. There is plenty of not vivid jadeite out there. If your comparing with highly saturated imperial green jadeite, then yes, that's more vivid. And of course, jadeite comes in lavenders and beautiful bluish tones.... Some high quality green nephrite is very vivid and saturated, much more so than many green jade varieties of jadeite , though the greens tend to be a different tone, less blue and more yellow. Also nephrite have the purest blacks and purest whites of all the jades. It's a struggle to find this high quality material though and the market is awash with mis grade nephrite with duller colors.

I really think that they are two different things and don't work well as substitutes for each other, except for the compatible strengths of the 2 jades. Jadeite being slightly harder, but nephrite being slightly tougher.

I concur that's it's a good idea to start with the color you ant, and don't try to substitute jadeite for nephrite. One needs to really want the nephrite as first choice to be happy with it, because the two jades have such a different feeling to them.

My intention of buying nephrite because I thought the best green nephrite has a comparable colour to that of the best green jadeite. I want a substitute for jadeite. But after couples years of searching, I realize that jadeite has the most vivid green colour. That's why I suggest choose the colour first because some stones do not have the wanted colour.

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My intention of buying nephrite because I thought the best green nephrite has a comparable colour to that of the best green jadeite. I want a substitute for jadeite. But after couples years of searching, I realize that jadeite has the most vivid green colour. That's why I suggest choose the colour first because some stones do not have the wanted colour.
Totally agree, start by identifying what you really want. It almost always ends in some kind of dissatisfaction when one tries to substitute one jade for the other. Nephrite collecting really is its own thing. It would be like trying to substitute champagne for a margarita lol!

Burmesedaze

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Sorry, not heard of that lab before as I've not bought jade in HK. Seaglow maybe? But do show us the jade pieces! :)

When I was a kid, I was given a white jadeite pendant with a green spot. It was the shape of some mythical Chinese lion and very nicely carved. I still have it somewhere around but chipped. So I wore it for a couple of years and saw the green spot spreading through a vein. But the rest of the pendant remained white.

When I visited the jade pagoda in Mandalay, I was shown green patches on the jadeite walls where the individual altars were that have supposedly grown greener. Maybe, our body heat and joss sticks and candles may be "heat" treatment to some extent.

Seaglow

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I am not sure. Perhaps @Seaglow or @Burmesedaze can help with this....

The HKJSL is recognized by the HK government's HK Council for Testing and Certification and one of the accredited laboratories of HK Accreditation Service. I haven't used HKJSL personally though as AIGS is more recognizable outside of HK and they are also recognized in HK by said government unit.

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sorry, not heard of that lab before as I've not bought jade in HK. Seaglow maybe? But do show us the jade pieces! :)

When I was a kid, I was given a white jadeite pendant with a green spot. It was the shape of some mythical Chinese lion and very nicely carved. I still have it somewhere around but chipped. So I wore it for a couple of years and saw the green spot spreading through a vein. But the rest of the pendant remained white.

When I visited the jade pagoda in Mandalay, I was shown green patches on the jadeite walls where the individual altars were that have supposedly grown greener. Maybe, our body heat and joss sticks and candles may be "heat" treatment to some extent.
There are many articles that scientifically deny this happening, BUT many jade collectors and owners I know of personally whom have worn jadeite pieces with color roots in them have reported that they've seen a difference. I don't see how people can prove that it doesn't happen. The body temp and skin oils and moisture can seep into the jadeite over time to continue the spread of colorants within the stone. I've noticed that with wear, some pieces have become more luminous.

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you so much ladies and gents!

@Seaglow that sounds like it's not a scam at least! I shall go when I am free and report back!

Any tips on how I can get them to let me take photos? I'm worried they won't take kindly to me snapping pics of their stock.

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you so much ladies and gents!

@Seaglow that sounds like it's not a scam at least! I shall go when I am free and report back!

Any tips on how I can get them to let me take photos? I'm worried they won't take kindly to me snapping pics of their stock.
I would just ask if it's ok to take a picture to show your mother/partner/friend. Usually people have been ok with this when I've asked. In fact, I did this yesterday with these jadeite beads that I've been considering for a long time now....and I really did want to show my husband since he wasnt with me.

Last edited:
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results