shape
carat
color
clarity

Advice on 2.5 to 3+ carats

Ringnewbie2020

Rough_Rock
Would love some help. Looked at engagement rings for the first time. Previously I only have diamond solitaire earrings. My Bf gave his budget to the jeweler and I’m considering the following. Size is very important to me and I’d love something close or above a 3. My ring size is 5 and I have tan skin. All are GIA excellent, VS1or VS2, round, will set in platinum w side baguettes.

option 1: 2.5, I
option 2: 2.7, J
option 3: 3.02, K
option 4: 3.85 L

I’ve never thought too much about color before although I assumed I wanted an H. My earrings are a G. In the store and outside I couldn’t tell the color difference, but will likely go back to look again. Online videos I can’t notice the difference much between D and K, so maybe I’m weak with colors. Any insight or regrets based on what you have? I’m leaning towards J to be safe, although bf likes larger size and gas pointed out I can’t see differences IRL.

thanks!!!

diamondnewbieny

Brilliant_Rock
It depends how color sensitive you are. With a very good cut diamond, the face up color will be whiter than the bad cut. I have. K color diamond. I can tell the difference but I chose size over color because I can see the size first and and size is important to me. The color is not obvious that some one can tell at first glance.

I suggest you to find your color tolerance first.

If these are the four specific stones that you have to choose from, can you ask your jeweler to bring them in so that you can compare them to each other?

Colour is best judged by eye because it’s so personal but also because it depends on the specific stone. Each letter is a range. A “high J” can look more like an I. A “low K” can look more like a an L. Though J/K/L won’t be sunflower yellow lol, more like cream, so it also depends on what kind of white you want and what kind of tint can you personally see?

I think if maximising size is your goal, and you’re happy with the J, the I is out of the consideration set. If your jeweler can pull the other 3 stones so you can compare them to each other, that would be best. Don’t discount the L completely out of hand until you see it btw. The first time I saw an L (it was a pear though, but also 4ct) I thought it was an I lol.

Do try and shade the stones with your hands instead of looking at them with that beautiful bright light shining on them, or look at them in the sunlight and natural shade, to get an idea of whether you can see the colour or not and what do you like.

Ringnewbie2020

Rough_Rock
Thank you for your reply. The jeweler did pull them, but as it was my first visit I was overwhelmed. All the colors looked fine to me inside and outside, but I wasn’t focused on it. Now thinking that H was my base and looking at my G earrings I’m confused. I also thought I’d like a 2, but realized I preferred the larger size on my super long fingers. I’ll use your suggestions when I go back.

Thank you for your reply. The jeweler did pull them, but as it was my first visit I was overwhelmed. All the colors looked fine to me inside and outside, but I wasn’t focused on it. Now thinking that H was my base and looking at my G earrings I’m confused. I also thought I’d like a 2, but realized I preferred the larger size on my super long fingers. I’ll use your suggestions when I go back.

Would you be able to for eg buy the stone and return it for one of the others within a few days if you change your mind?

If yes, then when you go back and do the comparison and pick your fav, I would bring it home unset to live with it for a few days in your own home environment and lighting. That will give you the best idea of whether you’re comfortable or happy with the stone! Good luck and keep us posted on your decision!

Polabowla

Brilliant_Rock
Honestly I would suggest looking at the side view too, because we often see that a lot. Sometimes the side or angle veiw will be very different than the top & you might notice more color there.

mommylawyer

Brilliant_Rock
Honestly I would suggest looking at the side view too, because we often see that a lot. Sometimes the side or angle veiw will be very different than the top & you might notice more color there.

That's true. My J faces up extremely white; you would think it's a G, but I can see a yellow tint through the side. I think you would be completely safe with the J. But, I agree with @AllAboardTheBlingTrain that you shouldn't discount the others completely. Personally, I prefer warmer stones. Can you go back to the jeweler and look at the stones upside down? Like in the picture in the link below. That should give you a better idea of the differences in color. Maybe also ask the jeweler to place each diamond on a platinum mount to give you a better idea how each stone will look when mounted. Good Luck! =)2

ccuheartnurse

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Find your colour tolerance 1st. A large stone will hold body colour more than a smaller stone so you'll need to make sure it's cut extremely well. I'm a size girl myself, & my tolerance is up to a J. I won't go lower no matter how large the stone. 3ct may not be something you can get right now. Is 2.7ct large enough? I don't know if you are committed to the jeweller you are dealing with, but perhaps for you, a vendor like Whiteflash or High Performance Diamonds might be a better fit. You can upgrade to the size you want in time without being boxed in to a "pay double the amount to upgrade" policy which a lot of jewellers have. Also, make sure the one making your ring uses lower colour sidestones, maybe a couple grades higher. In case you upgrade colour down the road. LOL I have a J with H melee in my halo.

Ringnewbie2020

Rough_Rock
Thanks! On the upside down point, given I’ll never look at it that way, is it important? I like mounting idea and then viewing from side to see if it would bother me.

Ringnewbie2020

Rough_Rock
That's true. My J faces up extremely white; you would think it's a G, but I can see a yellow tint through the side. I think you would be completely safe with the J. But, I agree with @AllAboardTheBlingTrain that you shouldn't discount the others completely. Personally, I prefer warmer stones. Can you go back to the jeweler and look at the stones upside down? Like in the picture in the link below. That should give you a better idea of the differences in color. Maybe also ask the jeweler to place each diamond on a platinum mount to give you a better idea how each stone will look when mounted. Good Luck! =)2

Thanks! On the upside down point, given I’ll never look at it that way, is it important? I like mounting idea and then viewing from side to see if it would bother me.

mommylawyer

Brilliant_Rock

It's not important per se, but I think it will help you find your color tolerance, like @ccuheartnurse mentioned, above. (Edited to include the word, not.)

Ringnewbie2020

Rough_Rock

It's not important per se, but I think it will help you find your color tolerance, like @ccuheartnurse mentioned, above. (Edited to include the word, not.)

Gemly

Shiny_Rock
I was recently in a situation where I needed to decide between a 2.54 ct rb that was an H leaning towards a G and a 3.2 ct. I leaning towards a J. I ultimately chose the 3.2 despite a huge difference in body color. My mindset was....which will I notice more most of the time: the size or the color? And clearly it’s viewed most often from the top and the size difference was huge. Here are two links showing the stones in different lighting environments which I think might help you.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wouldn't even bother looking at those diamonds upside down... you (or anyone else) will never view them that way. The main things I'd want to compare would be the face up and side views, as that is what you will see once mounted. Also, if you choose to go J or lower, I'd encourage you to do a solitaire with a head that doesn't allow much of a side view. The side view is what is going to show more color. I had a 2.43 J set in a halo... it was super white face up, and since it was set just a smidge below the girdle, the side view was a non-issue. However, I found the J to be too tinted for a solitaire, but that's only my personal tolerance. If you have zero care about the color, I'd get the biggest one! ;-)

Ringnewbie2020

Rough_Rock
I wouldn't even bother looking at those diamonds upside down... you (or anyone else) will never view them that way. The main things I'd want to compare would be the face up and side views, as that is what you will see once mounted. Also, if you choose to go J or lower, I'd encourage you to do a solitaire with a head that doesn't allow much of a side view. The side view is what is going to show more color. I had a 2.43 J set in a halo... it was super white face up, and since it was set just a smidge below the girdle, the side view was a non-issue. However, I found the J to be too tinted for a solitaire, but that's only my personal tolerance. If you have zero care about the color, I'd get the biggest one! ;-)

Good points! My first choice for a setting has been a solitaire w side baguettes. Do you think that provides cover? I don’t like the halo look on me. Otherwise I’d probably do a pave band. I’m trying to figure out my care on color on my next visit. My bf thinks larger looks better on me and that I’m o my concerned with color post facto bc I’ve read don’t go below H. I’ll need to see how I feel in real life now that I’m focusing on one last issue.

Ringnewbie2020

Rough_Rock
I was recently in a situation where I needed to decide between a 2.54 ct rb that was an H leaning towards a G and a 3.2 ct. I leaning towards a J. I ultimately chose the 3.2 despite a huge difference in body color. My mindset was....which will I notice more most of the time: the size or the color? And clearly it’s viewed most often from the top and the size difference was huge. Here are two links showing the stones in different lighting environments which I think might help you.

Thanks, I’m leaning as big as I can go before the color is noticeable to me. Your 3.2 is gorgeous! Maybe I’ll see the best J they can do to get me near 3. My bf thinks hands down at least the K.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Good points! My first choice for a setting has been a solitaire w side baguettes. Do you think that provides cover? I don’t like the halo look on me. Otherwise I’d probably do a pave band. I’m trying to figure out my care on color on my next visit. My bf thinks larger looks better on me and that I’m o my concerned with color post facto bc I’ve read don’t go below H. I’ll need to see how I feel in real life now that I’m focusing on one last issue.

It depends on how the basket is made. If it's a traditional 4 prong with baguettes, then no, as you'll have a full side view. I personally would not pair any diamonds next to it, as the contrast will be more apparent. Also, smaller diamonds (even if in a lower color) in a band will show a contrast because the faceting is so small. Baguettes have step faceting, so they may not be as bad, but I would want them matched up perfectly.

I think you can absolutely go to I or even J, depending on your setting and color tolerance. I currently have a 3.33 ct I that faces up like a 3.6 at 9.8 mm, and it is very white. Remember, the lower you go down the color scale, the more variance is within each color... and the larger the diamond, the more concentrated/tinted the color. Ex: a 1.5 ct J will appear much whiter than a 2.5 ct J.

If you like the side baguette look, I'd consider an 8 prong... as it will obstruct the side view a little more than a 6 (and of course, much more than a 4 prong).

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks, I’m leaning as big as I can go before the color is noticeable to me. Your 3.2 is gorgeous! Maybe I’ll see the best J they can do to get me near 3. My bf thinks hands down at least the K.

A K color in that size will be noticeably tinted. I was offered a 3.05 ct K or my 2.43 J, and it was apple and oranges as far as color was concerned. The K was gorgeous, but it was indeed very, very tinted. You really need to see these stones in real life and in AS MANY DIFFERENT LIGHTING SITUATIONS AS POSSIBLE.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'd compare the 2.7 J and the 3 ct K... the size difference may not be that noticeable, even if they're side by side.

Can you post the diameter of each? Carat is weight, you need to compare the diameter for actual viewing size... which is what everyone will see.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Without knowing the diameter of each stone, I used the average size of each weight for comparison. Sorry this came over so huge. :shock:
8E8C2AF5-0BFE-456B-8FA3-916D27503953.jpeg

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
There is a more noticeable visual difference in the 3 and 3.85, but the color will be VERY noticeable in these larger sizes.
853B2E74-E62B-49BB-AF2D-937BA15C10B4.jpeg

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
...and all together.
375F7FCB-245E-4991-99BF-22F7E2631CE3.jpeg

Gemly

Shiny_Rock

Thanks! You’ll definitely see color at any of these sizes. Even with an I. But you’ll have to determine whether or not that bothers you at all.

stonehunter20

Shiny_Rock
people have different color sensitivity. personally i would not go below I. also the larger the diamond, the more noticeable the color is. even if it's not noticeable to you, it might be noticeable to others. unless you prefer a warmer tone diamond, i would stick to color I. just my two cents!

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks! You’ll definitely see color at any of these sizes. Even with an I. But you’ll have to determine whether or not that bothers you at all.

I disagree. I think it depends on her color sensitivity (and tolerance). I have an almost 10 mm I color (avatar), and it's pretty dang white. I've never had anyone say it was anything other than big, bright, and super sparkly. :) That said, I draw the line at I for larger stones. The 3 ct K I looked at was noticeably tinted - a good bit in the face up position and a LOT from the side... but it was a firecracker, throwing some crazy pastels! There are many PS members who have stones that are much larger in I color, and they are white as can be... I recall a few 4-5 carat ACAs that were I... then there's @yssie's AMAZING 4 ct J - it's one of the whitest J's that I've seen in that large of a size (https://www.pricescope.com/communit...ty-4-01-j-vs1-in-erika-winters-margot.231053/). Skin tone, style of setting, and metal choice also play a part.

Last edited:

Gemly

Shiny_Rock
I disagree. I think it depends on her color sensitivity (and tolerance). I have an almost 10 mm I color (avatar), and it's pretty dang white. I've never had anyone say it was anything other than big, bright, and super sparkly. :) That said, I draw the line at I for larger stones. The 3 ct K I looked at was noticeably tinted - a good bit in the face up position and a LOT from the side... but it was a firecracker, throwing some crazy pastels! There are many PS members who have stones that are much larger in I color, and they are white as can be... I recall a few 4-5 carat ACAs that were I... then there's @yssie's AMAZING 4 ct J - it's one of the whitest J's that I've seen in that large of a size (https://www.pricescope.com/communit...ty-4-01-j-vs1-in-erika-winters-margot.231053/). Skin tone, style of setting, and metal choice also play a part.

Ring Newbie wrote: “Thanks, I’m leaning as big as I can go before the color is noticeable to me. Your 3.2 is gorgeous! Maybe I’ll see the best J they can do to get me near 3. My bf thinks hands down at least the K.”

She wrote me that she wanted to go as big as possible before color would be noticeable to her...and was specifically referring to J’s and K’s in the post that I quoted. To me, and unless very color insensitive, you’d see *some* color from the side in a 3 carat in these colors. She doesn’t want to notice *any* color at all.

I think the stones you posted are gorgeous but I assume the owners embrace and expect some color. I briefly clicked on one of the threads that you posted and could easily see side color...and those weren’t against a white background.

Last edited:

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think the stones you posted are gorgeous but I assume the owners embrace and expect some color. I briefly clicked on one of the threads that you posted and could easily see side color...and those weren’t against a white background.

Well, the OP isn't considering any diamonds in the "colorless" range, so some tint may be seen from the side anyway, depending on each person's sensitivity. However, many would argue that tint becomes much more apparent starting with J.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results