shape
carat
color
clarity

Very faint pinkish brown diamond undertone- yellow gold ring with platinum prongs?

Gemly

Shiny_Rock
Hi again all!
After my last post I’m leaning towards having a yellow gold e-ring custom made...however, there is one other consideration: My 3.2 ct. diamond is an “I” color....and to my eye against a white background seems to have a very slight pinkish undertone. I’m wondering if this would clash with a yellow gold setting? Would the platinum 6 prong head make the color less apparent or more flattering? I had originally been set on all platinum which I thought would look nice against the faint pink undertone but now I’ve decided I just like gold against my skin tone. Advice is much appreciated, as I’ll hopefully only be doing this once. I’ll attach some “unglamorous shots” that show the color the most for reference. :) Also, my profile picture shows the undertone really well. Thanks for your help!

2B0B8C93-38B3-4E27-9E0F-4D06C0C52433.jpeg
9FF75AD5-8934-4E30-9EC1-8A0F74078BAB.png

Last edited:

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
yg would be fine.
light browns (more than yours) have been mounted in it for a long time to hide the color.

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
Are you sure it has a pinkish undertone and it's not reflecting your skin tone from your hand or your face? An I really shouldn't have much body color at all.

Either way I don't think it will look bad in any metal color. I think the body color is subtle enough that you won't really notice and it will look white

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
There are different shades of yellow gold depending on the alloy, if you get one that is more brownish than yellowish it may look better to you. Depends on what your jeweler has access to also.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
If you love the look of yellow gold on your skin..... I’d go for pink gold prongs, yellow shank.
Sometimes the prongs can really bring out the color- but there’s no guarantee. It’s also dependent on the specific alloy mixture the jeweler uses. But I can see the tint you refer to in the first pic.

Gemly

Shiny_Rock
Would you consider rose gold? That will look beautiful!

If you love the look of yellow gold on your skin..... I’d go for pink gold prongs, yellow shank.
Sometimes the prongs can really bring out the color- but there’s no guarantee. It’s also dependent on the specific alloy mixture the jeweler uses. But I can see the tint you refer to in the first pic.

I feel like rose told really doesn’t work with my skin tone unfortunately, otherwise I would definitely go for this since I do think it would be a nice complimentary color.

Gemly

Shiny_Rock
Are you sure it has a pinkish undertone and it's not reflecting your skin tone from your hand or your face? An I really shouldn't have much body color at all.

Either way I don't think it will look bad in any metal color. I think the body color is subtle enough that you won't really notice and it will look white

Yes, it does have quite a bit of body color for an “I”. I’d say it’s definitely leaning to J. Here is a photo comparing it to a H that’s leaning to G. I had the choice between these two stones but picked the “I” for size reasons and because it’s beautifully cut and faces up quite white.

03D3E5AE-25D1-4C09-8CE2-0A70548A3C91.jpeg

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
Yes, it does have quite a bit of body color for an “I”. I’d say it’s definitely leaning to J. Here is a photo comparing it to a H that’s leaning to G. I had the choice between these two stones but picked the “I” for size reasons and because it’s beautifully cut and faces up quite white.

03D3E5AE-25D1-4C09-8CE2-0A70548A3C91.jpeg

I definitely see the color there!

I still think it will look fine in any metal color because it's subtle enough.

Gemly

Shiny_Rock
I definitely see the color there!

I still think it will look fine in any metal color because it's subtle enough.

Thanks. And these are more noticeable than in real life because I literally tried to take the photo to show color in the 3.2. So thee photos are definitely the un-glamour shots. It can, and does look pretty clear-colorless typically. But this is a scrutiny post :)

Oh and here are a couple of photos to give her back her good name :)

DA5BC4EA-CB55-491A-AF8D-7505D954B223.jpeg
7B0DC723-3CDE-41F6-BDBD-B0E733EA3F12.jpeg A90CF1D7-5774-4877-A018-BB2F8BCC4B37.jpeg

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I feel like rose told really doesn’t work with my skin tone unfortunately, otherwise I would definitely go for this since I do think it would be a nice complimentary color.

A rich 18k RG will look pretty yellow with a bit of a rosie hue. If you have a Cartier store nearby, maybe you can stop by and check out their alloy. However, if you like and want only YG, then go for it.

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
I would worry about setting color in something like an L-M (which I did and posted about last week, and decided to go with white gold anyway because that's what I love and wear). But I think that will look lovely in yg and will face up very white

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
i would say if you are going with any allow that is a little different than the norm - and there are many pretty ones, peachy, honey colored, etc. - it's hard to match bands later on. just to consider if that will be an issue for you.

Gemly

Shiny_Rock
I would worry about setting color in something like an L-M (which I did and posted about last week, and decided to go with white gold anyway because that's what I love and wear). But I think that will look lovely in yg and will face up very white

Thank you!
A rich 18k RG will look pretty yellow with a bit of a rosie hue. If you have a Cartier store nearby, maybe you can stop by and check out their alloy. However, if you like and want only YG, then go for it.

Great idea I’ll look into that as well!

Ceilimom

Brilliant_Rock

Have you seen David Klass's peach gold ?

Ceilimom

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks. And these are more noticeable than in real life because I literally tried to take the photo to show color in the 3.2. So thee photos are definitely the un-glamour shots. It can, and does look pretty clear-colorless typically. But this is a scrutiny post :)

Oh and here are a couple of photos to give her back her good name :)

DA5BC4EA-CB55-491A-AF8D-7505D954B223.jpeg
7B0DC723-3CDE-41F6-BDBD-B0E733EA3F12.jpeg A90CF1D7-5774-4877-A018-BB2F8BCC4B37.jpeg

The top picture, it looks that you have a white metal stone holder. The diamond looks bright and white. In the bottom two pictures you can pick up a slight touch of pinkish brown. Whatever you set this diamond in, it's going to be lovely.

Tinkybell

Shiny_Rock
That is a beautiful diamond! Really beautiful on you! Please post pictures when it is set!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results