shape
carat
color
clarity

35-36" white round strand decisions

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No, that’s inaccurate. That’s a picture of two Hanadama strands. It shows how much of a variation there is in the grade. The bottom is not an AAA strand from AP - it’s one of their Hanadama strands that 1) they don’t recommend , and 2) they are very open about the fact that they rank at about an A+ on their scale - and are priced accordingly. If you research carefully they don’t believe in using the Hanadama grade for precisely that reason. There are other photos of similar Hanadama comparisons between PP and The Pearl Source that also show a wide variation in the grade (and PP has a poor relationship with both those vendors so when these things are posted on the PP hosted site, you need to take it with a grain of salt). It’s again why the Hanadama grading system is flawed and why you have to do research between vendors about what their specific grades are. AP AAA is of much higher quality then their Hanadama strands. Mine would look like the top strand in that photo. They are honestly the most lustrous Akoya I have seen barring Mikimoto AAA. Please be careful in not spreading inaccurate info.

Oh my gosh! I totally missed that when I read the description of that picture! If I think about it, I will ask for that post to be taken down. I wish I could edit it, at least. That threw me off because I was going on the fact that AP AAA would be equal to top of the line period, and I don't care about the Hanadama certificate, I care about the pearl quality. I'd rather have better AAAs than a low end Hanadama, obviously. Mikimoto and Tiffany certainly don't market their pearls as Hanadama.

Okay, here's the thing. What I want most is white with silver overtone. PP doesn't have it. I have been hoping the pink overtone Hanadama's they have would work, but there's no way I can be sure without seeing them. The pictures are helpful, but I really can't see how they look in real life from those pictures. But AP does say they have white with silver overtone. I was originally looking at 7.5-8mm with AP and their prices were good. But I wouldn't do the jump in price to 8-8.5 with them. It's just that I don't want such an expensive strand that I'd be afraid to actually wear it. The freshwaters would be less of a worry, but I'd have to go to POJ for their 8.5-9mm because they are significantly less than PP, but that's assuming they are equal quality and I have no way of knowing anything for sure about pearls I have not seen. Because I dress so casually, I almost think the freshwaters make more sense, but I am not even sure yet if POJ would sell me a 38" returnable fw to look at.

Anyway, thank you so much for the correction. I would never intentionally post incorrect information.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just looked at the 38" 8-8.5 mm strand is $5742 sale price. Their 7.5-8mm is around $4k which is about the same as the PP Hanadamas at 8-8.5mm. So as far as akoyas go, it's either get rose overtone in larger pearls, or smaller pearls that are more white.

BlingDreams

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just looked at the 38" 8-8.5 mm strand is $5742 sale price. Their 7.5-8mm is around $4k which is about the same as the PP Hanadamas at 8-8.5mm. So as far as akoyas go, it's either get rose overtone in larger pearls, or smaller pearls that are more white.
Or wait until the size you want is available in silver overtones? Any chance they might raincheck the discount since they’re out of stock?

If you have to choose one, I’d suggest the whiter pearls. From the beginning you’ve said that’s your biggest desire. I think you’d always look at the rose tinted pearls and wish they were whiter.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Or wait until the size you want is available in silver overtones? Any chance they might raincheck the discount since they’re out of stock?

If you have to choose one, I’d suggest the whiter pearls. From the beginning you’ve said that’s your biggest desire. I think you’d always look at the rose tinted pearls and wish they were whiter.

I got the impression that all of their Hanadama had the pink overtone, and she said if someone wants silver, they recommend their natural whites that are mega expensive. I am sure they won't raincheck the discount. They will likely sell out of their stock of 8.0-8.5 and 8.5-9.0 because they have an extra 10% off on those. They must sell a lot more of the 7.5-8's and had overstock on those 8+mm ones. The price for that quality is the temptation, but you are very right that it isn't exactly what I was after in the first place! So the decision really is larger pearls with the pink or smaller pearls with the silver overtone due to the price jump at 8mm+. I won't buy the pink ones without seeing them, but I'll have to call and see if they'd send me them to look at prior to stringing them. They are not refundable once they combine the 2 18" strands. American Pearl says on their site that they have the silver overtone in the 7.5-8mm, so that's the other option if these don't work. I just hate to reject them without seeing them, because I really have no idea how white they appear against clothing. But if they are not white appearing, then you are exactly right that I shouldn't settle!

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm going to throw a monkey wrench in the works here by offering a completely-out-there idea.

You ideally want white-white pearls, thick nacre, and round, right? Have you considered a long white south sea pearls strand, specially made up for you from smaller sized SSP?

Obviously this would be luxe, not a bargain choice, but just thinking about it is making me smile. I wouldn't mind having such a strand myself, and I don't even wear white pearls much! But that, I'd definitely wear. :mrgreen2:

Okay, back to reality. :roll2:

sarahb

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I'm going to throw a monkey wrench in the works here by offering a completely-out-there idea.

You ideally want white-white pearls, thick nacre, and round, right? Have you considered a long white south sea pearls strand, specially made up for you from smaller sized SSP?

Obviously this would be luxe, not a bargain choice, but just thinking about it is making me smile. I wouldn't mind having such a strand myself, and I don't even wear white pearls much! But that, I'd definitely wear. :mrgreen2:

THIS ^^^^
I would love a 35" WSS strand! In fact, a baroque WSS 35" strand recently went up on preloved, & the seller went to the PO to send them, & she emailed me back & said the PO did not recognize my home address as a valid address, (???) so she quickly refunded my money! We've been here for 25 years, & that was a first. I was so bummed.:(sad

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I think that would be outstanding! However, when I checked the pricing, I realized it would be a LOT more than these, and again, I just don't want long pearls so expensive that I am afraid to wear them! I probably should just buy some long necklaces that have a few white pearls scattered along them! :lol:

I also want Tahitians and blue akoyas. The white ones I'd wear more in the summer.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
THIS ^^^^
I would love a 35" WSS strand! In fact, a baroque WSS 35" strand recently went up on preloved, & the seller went to the PO to send them, & she emailed me back & said the PO did not recognize my home address as a valid address, (???) so she quickly refunded my money! We've been here for 25 years, & that was a first. I was so bummed.:(sad

That's bizarre! Almost sounds like she wrote the address incorrectly. Or else changed her mind or something.

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
As to buying long necklaces with a few white pearls scattered along them... that is actually not a bad idea.
Or a tin cup style.

sarahb

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
That's bizarre! Almost sounds like she wrote the address incorrectly. Or else changed her mind or something.
After double checking my home address via email, (I confirmed she had my address correctly), she then refunded my money without any communication. It was very awkward. In hindsight, I thought that perhaps she had a friend who wanted them, & since I’d already sent funds, this was way out for her?? Who really knows. Just wished she would’ve given me a chance to give her an alternative address like my husbands business address, & since she didn’t, my hypothesis (above) is the only logical reason for this sequence of events I can think of. Oh well, they were not meant to be I guess!

sarahb

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
As to buying long necklaces with a few white pearls scattered along them... that is actually not a bad idea.
Or a tin cup style.
A WSS tin cup is another great idea. I wanted that 35” WSS strand to go with my 35” (? I can’t remember maybe it’s 20) WSS tin cup. But DS, I think you’re looking for a continuous strand of pearls rather than a tin cup?

sarahb

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I hope a better stand comes along for you, sarahb.
Thank you pearlsngems:wavey:

I was really attracted to her strand mainly because the length was right, they were baroque pearls (which I love), & the pics she sent looked great. Back to starting over again.

Am hoping a better strand will come along too!! I need to go check out the Mothers Day sales to see if they have any 35” WSS strands, they didn’t last week.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A WSS tin cup is another great idea. I wanted that 35” WSS strand to go with my 35” (? I can’t remember maybe it’s 20) WSS tin cup. But DS, I think you’re looking for a continuous strand of pearls rather than a tin cup?

It's for casual wear. I wear a lot of long silky-like tops in the summer and I thought long white pearls would be pretty. I am open to tin cup, but some of the vendors don't use nice chains and it would have to be custom to get the pearls at the right distance. I just wish I could see something somewhere that I like and buy it at this point.

Rubybrick

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
It's for casual wear. I wear a lot of long silky-like tops in the summer and I thought long white pearls would be pretty. I am open to tin cup, but some of the vendors don't use nice chains and it would have to be custom to get the pearls at the right distance. I just wish I could see something somewhere that I like and buy it at this point.
I love the silk top long pearl look, the tin cup look just isn’t the same. To me it’s missing the luxury feel. Given the 5x price difference between hanadama and freshadama, and dive you are not sure how much you will wear it. I would get the freshadama to try, I was surprised at the level of luster from your pictures. Especially if you can return it. I would not get fake pearls, IMO totally different feel when worn.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Rubybrick i agree, especially about not getting fakes. I just wouldn’t be happy with that to actually wear. I do think maybe I should start with freshwaters.

sarahb

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I love the silk top long pearl look, the tin cup look just isn’t the same. To me it’s missing the luxury feel. Given the 5x price difference between hanadama and freshadama, and dive you are not sure how much you will wear it. I would get the freshadama to try, I was surprised at the level of luster from your pictures. Especially if you can return it. I would not get fake pearls, IMO totally different feel when worn.
Ruby, totally agree, tin cups--when worn alone--just don't have the charisma I find satisfying. However, tin cup's, IMHO (YMMV) are wonderful for stacking along with your strands.

Within the pic below, you can see my WSS tin cup (confirmed, its 35") next to my WSS pendent. (& why I wanted that 35" strand.) The gals who have the most enviable collections here on PS & elsewhere, seem to have an endless supply of tin cups, pendents, strands, ropes, harvest strands--etc etc--you name it, they have it, which they effortlessly mix & match, for a simply beautiful look. This is my meager attempt to emulate. :(sad
DS, I'll look forward to your decision!
IMG_0706.jpg

Rubybrick

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Ruby, totally agree, tin cups--when worn alone--just don't have the charisma I find satisfying. However, tin cup's, IMHO (YMMV) are wonderful for stacking along with your strands.

Within the pic below, you can see my WSS tin cup (confirmed, its 35") next to my WSS pendent. (& why I wanted that 35" strand.) The gals who have the most enviable collections here on PS & elsewhere, seem to have an endless supply of tin cups, pendents, strands, ropes, harvest strands--etc etc--you name it, they have it, which they effortlessly mix & match, for a simply beautiful look. This is my meager attempt to emulate. :(sad
DS, I'll look forward to your decision!
IMG_0706.jpg
lovely WSS so velvety, I understand the feeling of wanting more!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That's a wonderful idea, @sarahb! I actually have a beautiful SS pendant. Maybe I need a tin cup to wear with it???? Hmmm! I like that!

I am all over the place. I am probably going to look at the Hamadamas and also order a Gem Grade 8.5-9 mm from POJ fw. That way I can get a feel for size and color of each.

Snowdrop13

Ideal_Rock
Premium
When I was researching my first strand of pearls I also found it very tricky to decide what to buy although I was in the market for a shorter, 16-18 inch strand. I joined the pearl forum, read everything I could, looked at Akoya and Hanadama and freshwaters. In those days, Pearl Paradise sold their Hanadama strands individually and you could look at the certificates for each. In the end, I just could not get over the fact that the nacre thickness, even on those was around 0.4mm only. I ended up with Freshadamas, and have not regretted it!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
When I was researching my first strand of pearls I also found it very tricky to decide what to buy although I was in the market for a shorter, 16-18 inch strand. I joined the pearl forum, read everything I could, looked at Akoya and Hanadama and freshwaters. In those days, Pearl Paradise sold their Hanadama strands individually and you could look at the certificates for each. In the end, I just could not get over the fact that the nacre thickness, even on those was around 0.4mm only. I ended up with Freshadamas, and have not regretted it!

I'll be honest, the nacre thickness is an issue for me, too, when you consider how small a millimeter is! I think South Seas and Tahitians will have more appeal to me due to the thicker nacre. Too bad they don't leave akoyas longer in the shell to let them get thicker.

I do plan to get a freshwater one just due to the fact that they may start bead nucleating the smaller pearls which will be sad to me.

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think you’d probably be happy with either of the Hanadamas strands or the Freshadama strand from your pictures. They all look fantastic. Plinked Akoya Pearls really do look white when they are on. The pinking only really tends to give some depth and orient to what is a white body pearl. Its the freshwater pearls that require a bit more care in selecting, but I do have one strand (from Birks) that is very white now that I think about it. They are silver overtoned freshwater pearls. My triple strand high grade freshwater necklace from AP also reads quite white when it is on. So I’m sure PP would be able to work with you to find the whitest freshadama strand if that’s the route you wanted to go. Plus their return policy is fantastic, so it’s low risk.

DDCB0EAD-93B0-4E07-8E3A-04020E9FA3E8.jpeg 68323A9D-103D-431A-9926-DEC267C832FB.jpeg

93332857-5EEF-4664-9008-C2FADBFBC1AE.jpeg

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Those are beautiful, @cmd2014!!! Yes, I will ask for silver overtone freshwaters.

CareBear

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@cmd2014 Your freshwater pearls are beautiful! You must have an AMAZING collection!!!

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@cmd2014 Your freshwater pearls are beautiful! You must have an AMAZING collection!!!

Thank you. I went a bit crazy there for a while when I discovered online vendors (things that seemed out of reach suddenly weren't, and I went on a bit of a spree for a couple of years). But mine pales in comparison to some of the real pearl mavens.

@diamonseeker, I think you’ll have more luck with regular freshwater pearls (like the freshadamas) than metallics. When we were first talking I pulled out my metallics, and they are all distinctly off white. But when I thought about it more, I realized that I did have some very white non-metallic freshwater pearls. Vendors may not always have them in stock, but if you are clear that you want very white body color with silver overtones if possible, you might be in luck. I haven’t been wearing mine in a while (lots of reasons, but I just haven’t felt like wearing my jewelry lately), so they didn’t immediately come to mind.

Here are some of my other white freshwater pieces (and all are *much* whiter than my metallic freshwater pearls).

White with silver overtone drop earrings from PP.

C3017CEE-4F5E-4808-8218-2A4089E73C61.jpeg

White freshwater earring from Effie:

10C73D45-24C7-4794-BF17-1E6744B34702.jpeg

On ear:

F761B806-75ED-4FB2-9972-129E8E010C47.jpeg

On ear with WSS (you can see it’s close to being as white as the WSS)

C00A4641-1983-4487-8C3C-5B5051084859.jpeg

I wouldn’t hesitate to wear any of these with white. In fact, these used to be my ‘summer’ pearls that I’d wear to work for that reason.

ETA: ha! You can see cat scratches on my neck on that last picture. It was from an eventful trip to the vet. Little beggar tried to rabbit kick his way to freedom. It didn’t break my skin - it just left red marks that took a bit to settle down.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Those are all quite white! You do have a nice collection, @cmd2014! I can order freshwaters and return, so I am planning to try that first. I really want Tahitians, and that likely will be my next purchase unless I get SS earrings to go with my pendant. People are telling me there'll be more sales, so I am not going to rush to buy something I am not sure about.

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium
There are always sales. For PP, there is a 20% off every mother's day for VIP customers (15% for those who are not signed up to the mailing list). Sometimes they switch it up with specific sales, but mostly this is consistent. They typically offer one sale a month on specific types of pearls (August has historically been the month for Tahitians). There are site-wide 20% sales scattered throughout the year. There are connoisseur sales sometimes for one of a kind pieces, and special releases of things that they have found too. These are often around the same times that POJ and Pure Pearls have their sales as well. AP often offers 15% all web orders (it's a pop up thing). They also offer a 15% discount code around most of the holidays (Christmas, Valentine's Day, mother's day are all reliable for this). Plus, if you sign up for email alerts from all of the vendors that you like, they will let you know what's coming up when.

The only time you need to jump is if you see something that might be a one-off sale (like the golden ss harvest strands) or if there is some kind of spectacular price reduction on something that you've never seen reduced that much before. If you don't, it may not come around again. But this is not generally a risk for the regular stock.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@cmd2014 Thank you SO much for all the time you have taken helping me on this thread! The pearl world is definitely an area where I need to learn, and you and others have given me great tips on this thread!

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You're welcome! You know I'm dying to see what you end up buying! I'm doing my best to be good and not add to my admittedly abundant collection, so I love living vicariously through the purchases of others.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results