shape
carat
color
clarity

35-36" white round strand decisions

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was out of town yesterday so I wanted to update my progress so far. I did contact PP and they do not have any metallic Freshadamas and do not plan buying trips where they may or may not find them until maybe June and September. I spoke with a very lovely sales rep and she said that if I was going for the whitest strands, she thought regular Freshadamas might be whiter than the metallics they have had. So I asked her what they had in 7.5-8.0. She sent me some photos of two strands she selected for me as being white and well matched. But I am now not sure about that size.

I realized just this morning that I had been given a bead necklace as a gift by one of my students that happens to include some pearls (that I have never worn since I don't really wear costume jewelry). It is double and it is 40" for the longer strand and 36" for the inner strand. So it is the 4" difference that @Miki Moto recommended for wearing two (this results in a 2" gap between the necklaces)! I liked the lengths very much, but I think 38 would be fine for a single strand. So I think I made some progress there. Also, the smallest beads in the necklace are 9.8mm, and I realized that is actually not too big, especially for a single strand. That is not great news since I realize I may need to move up in size (maybe 8-8.5 at least) over what I was thinking.:lol:

Soooo, now I am still aiming to buy a trial necklace, and I am not even going for the Freshadama level at this point, because I realize that I could spend $1000+ on that and it not be 100% what I want. I feel like I may not be able to do Mikimoto if I move up in size, especially for a long strand, but I am watching for them second hand. So for now, I am looking at cheap freshwaters with little investment so as not to take away money from my main objective! If I see long imitation pearl necklaces when I am out shopping, I can try them on to get a feel for my preferences, too.

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Trying before you buy is a very good idea, and fakes are great for doing that. You can even buy an inexpensive glass pearl strand (not plastic, which is too light) to see if you like a certain length or size in practice. Long necklaces move as you move. The weight also increases rapidly with even small increases in millimeters of diameter, because it's a question of the volume of a 3 dimensional sphere. A 9mm pearl is twice as large-- and twice as heavy -- as a 7mm pearl.

Just a word about the concept of "investing" in brand name pearls. Let's face it-- cultured pearls are not an investment. If you sell them, you will lose a lot of what you spent on them. This is also true of Mikimotos, even though they tend to hold their value better than generic pearls due to people valuing the brand name. Also as noted, just because a used strand has a Miki clasp does not necessarily mean the pearls are Miki pearls. Scams occur.

Also, a used pearl is a used pearl-- we say "pre-owned" but that is a euphemism for "used". Nacre does wear down over time and get scratched, and not everyone is careful about how they store their pearls. Layering them with other necklaces and wearing enhancers can also cause scratches. Mind you, I like used pearls and own a number of them, but they were a bargain because used pearls don't hold their value. :mrgreen2:

Here is my advice, and it's pretty simple: Buy what you love because you love it and want to own, wear and keep it, whatever brand it is, and you won't go wrong. Don't buy for its hoped-for resale value.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Trying before you buy is a very good idea, and fakes are great for doing that. You can even buy an inexpensive glass pearl strand (not plastic, which is too light) to see if you like a certain length or size in practice. Long necklaces move as you move. The weight also increases rapidly with even small increases in millimeters of diameter, because it's a question of the volume of a 3 dimensional sphere. A 9mm pearl is twice as large-- and twice as heavy -- as a 7mm pearl.

Just a word about the concept of "investing" in brand name pearls. Let's face it-- cultured pearls are not an investment. If you sell them, you will lose a lot of what you spent on them. This is also true of Mikimotos, even though they tend to hold their value better than generic pearls due to people valuing the brand name. Also as noted, just because a used strand has a Miki clasp does not necessarily mean the pearls are Miki pearls. Scams occur.

Also, a used pearl is a used pearl-- we say "pre-owned" but that is a euphemism for "used". Nacre does wear down over time and get scratched, and not everyone is careful about how they store their pearls. Layering them with other necklaces and wearing enhancers can also cause scratches. Mind you, I like used pearls and own a number of them, but they were a bargain because used pearls don't hold their value. :mrgreen2:

Here is my advice, and it's pretty simple: Buy what you love because you love it and want to own, wear and keep it, whatever brand it is, and you won't go wrong. Don't buy for its hoped-for resale value.

Thank you!

I give very similar advice on other parts of the forum about diamond jewelry! I never buy with the intent to resell. I buy jewelry as heirlooms at this point (or if it was an freshwater strand, I'd just be wearing it for my own pleasure until it loses it's luster!). I 100% agree with you that pearls are very different than some other jewelry in that they can have greater damage from wear. I do have some branded jewelry pieces that I have bought second hand, but I try to focus on "new without tags" or "like new" condition. I love those kinds of finds! In the case of pearls, I'd just have to have a return policy in the event that I could see scratches or wear. I'd probably only buy through a respected source who would stand by their claims of authenticity. But honestly, I am so particular a piece really would have to have been sitting in it's box and almost never worn for me to want to buy it! So, we can pretty much figure that I am very unlikely to find a Mikimoto second hand!

I think the big decision is how much to spend since they do get wear over time and don't last for generations like gold, platinum, and diamonds can. I haven't quite figured that part out. I really don't want cheap akoyas, and I am not sure that the top freshwaters are worth what the sellers are charging!!! I think I remember why I gave up on this quest the last time I started researching it! But I greatly appreciate each of you who has tried to help me!

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The Chinese have already produced smaller sized Edisons (in-body bead nucleated pearls); Pearl Paradise has been selling some multicolored strands:
https://www.pearlparadise.com/produ...a-multicolor-edison-freshwater-pearl-necklace

It's only a matter of time until we see white Edison strands on the market, which will compete with akoyas in roundness and luster, just as the large Edisons now compete with south sea pearls. Maybe when those smaller strands are available in white, you will find your ideal strand.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The Chinese have already produced smaller sized Edisons (in-body bead nucleated pearls); Pearl Paradise has been selling some multicolored strands:
https://www.pearlparadise.com/produ...a-multicolor-edison-freshwater-pearl-necklace

It's only a matter of time until we see white Edison strands on the market, which will compete with akoyas in roundness and luster, just as the large Edisons now compete with south sea pearls. Maybe when those smaller strands are available in white, you will find your ideal strand.

I am in learning mode here, clearly! I have seen the Edison pearls on another forum. I understand that they are freshwater with bead nucleus which makes them more round. But wouldn't their nacre be the same on the outside as the nacre is now for freshwater pearl? How would their luster improve over regular fwps?

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Non-bead nucleated FWP form in the mantle tissue. Edisons form in the gonad. Some of them have very high luster. Is the higher luster due to their being formed in the gonad? I don't know. But if you look at the luster on those multicolor Edisons I linked, it is certainly metallic.

I suspect in the future Freshadamas will be bead-nucleated pearls. Instead of being nearly round, or round to the eye, they will be truly round. It is clear that people want fully-round pearls more than nearly-round pearls.

Farmers want to be able to harvest pearls sooner. A pearl that is solid nacre must be in the water years longer than a bead-nucleated pearl in order to reach the same size. For all that time, the mussel has to be fed and cared for. It is vulnerable to storm damage and everything that can kill off shells. Also the longer a pearl stays in the mussel, the more likely it is to become baroque.

All in all, the trend is to bead-nucleted pearls, and for good reason.

Last edited:

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I edited my previous post....

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Non-bead nucleated FWP form in the mantle tissue. Edisons form in the gonad. Some of them have very high luster. Is the higher luster due to their being formed in the gonad? I don't know. But if you look at the luster on those multicolor Edisons I linked, it is certainly metallic.

I suspect in the future Freshadamas will be bead-nucleated pearls. Instead of being nearly round, or round to the eye, they will be truly round. It is clear that people want fully-round pearls more than nearly-round pearls.

Farmers want to be able to harvest pearls sooner. A pearl that is solid nacre must be in the water years longer than a bead-nucleated pearl in order to reach the same size. For all that time, the mussel has to be fed and cared for. It is vulnerable to storm damage and everything that can kill off shells. Also the longer a pearl stays in the mussel, the more likely it is to become baroque.

All in all, the trend is to bead-nucleted pearls, and for good reason.

Thank you so much! That is very interesting! It almost makes me want to buy a solid nacre necklace before they stop making them! :lol:

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I understand that, but are you also rushing out to buy potato pearls and rice krispie pearls? They were solid nacre too. The buying public happily moved on when rounder pearls came along.

Will people seek out not-quite-round Freshadamas when fully-round, metallic white Edisons in smaller sizes come along? I don't think so.

I have both Freshadamas and AAA metallic white fwp. The metallic whites, though less round, have higher luster than the Freshadama. I wear them now instead of the Freshadamas; luster matters more to me than roundness. I also have some vintage akoyas I wear more than the Freshadamas. They have a creamy color, however.

But when truly-round, metallic luster, smaller white Edisons come along, I think I will probably wear those more than the others.

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is great information, thank you! It surely does help to have advice from those who have already researched and bought from various places!

AP must be calling their AAA Collection Quality now. I actually looked on a google map to see where AP and Mikimoto stores are in NYC and they are only a half mile from each other on 5th Ave! It would help so much to see the different Mikimoto grades for educational purposes and then I'd have more confidence when shopping elsewhere.

If I want to start with a freshwater strand, AP's Elite costs less than PP Freshadama at this time. Do you think one is better than the other? I want the best of whatever I buy, but also the whitest. I can always wait for a sale. I only have the one SS pendant, but I think it is gorgeous. I am just not sure if I'd wear a short strand much, but it's tempting because I do like the pearls! I am sure I'll end up with Tahitians because I wear a lot of black and I could use some that are dark with silver overtone, if that makes any sense. lol! But I do know that I'd wear long strands the most, and that is why I am starting with that. If I see that I am wearing the freshwater one a good bit, then I can decide on the top quality Akoyas.

Is there a thread anywhere with your pearls? I'd love to see them! I've looked some on that other place where pearls are posted and there's an endless amount of pictures! I think I will be happy with a few classic pieces. But I need to focus on one at a time (unless there is a sale on something I want!).

No, AP says that they grade their AAA strands to the Mikimoto AAA grade, and are what I personally bought and compared to the Mikimoto AAA's at the store that was helpfully just up the block (I made an appointment and went in person to AP, but it would be good to go to Mikimoto first and look, and then go to AP and see, and then you'll have a good sense of how they compare if you go in person).

The Collection Quality are pearls that AP pulls out that exceed their AAA grading standard, and they sell them at a premium (as a comparison, Hanadama pearls must have a minimum of 0.4mm nacre thickness and a subjective minimum level of surface clarity and lustre - some vendor's strands will significantly exceed this, while others will only meet bare minimum, which is why there is such variability in this grade; Collection quality from AP reportedly has a minimum of 0.8 mm nacre thickness and are top luster and blemish free to the naked eye). If you want to go that route, let AP know in advance, as they may or may not always have what you are looking for in stock.

When it comes to freshwater pearls, I think PP is a better route. My AP freshwater pearls are very nice, and quite white as I ordered a silver overtone, and were a very nice price for what I got, but they are slightly off round. If you search me on this forum you'll see pictures of both my akoyas and my freshwaters, and all of my Tahitians/WSS too, but I think Freshadama are nicer based on what I have seen on other people (and priced accordingly). Getting a silver overtone will help them look whiter, but I have to be honest, even with my silver overtone metallic strands from PP, there is a yellow undertone to the white that is noticeable if you are colour sensitive. I wore my metallic FWP earrings the other day and realized why I hadn't worn them in forever, as it is that obvious (I have pictures on this site comparing my PP white FWP metallic strand and earrings to my WSS strand and earrings, where you can *really* see what I am talking about).

As for White South Sea - while most have a more satiny luster, there are those that have a metallic luster that rivals akoya pearls, especially in the smaller sizes. I have 9 - 10 mm earrings from PP that I actually often wear with my Akoya strand, as the luster is that good. Harder to find in a necklace though.

What I have also found (as I have bracelet extenders for many of my 18 - 20 inch strands that turn them into ropes) is that pearls look larger when they are close to the neck. I'd suggest trying a bunch of bead strands on in different sizes to see what looks best on you. On me, 7 - 7.5 mm is tiny. Even for my short strand, I bought 7.5 - 8 mm in my Akoyas thinking that this was a classic size, and I regret not spending the extra to get larger. In hindsight, I wish I had gone 8.5 - 9, despite the huge price jump.

Happy searching! Personally, I think looking is half the fun.

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Edit: Also, I would second what Pearlsngems said. Even in comparison to other jewelry (where there is at least a set value in the weight of the gold plus some value in the gemstones themselves), pearls *especially* do not hold their value. Second hand pearls are always valued at much less than what they were purchased for, regardless of their quality or whether or not they are of a name brand.

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh hey, I do have pictures here at work. These aren't the best photos, but give you an idea at least.

Here are my 7.5 - 8mm AP AAA Akoyas (I had them make me a 2 inch extender for when I want a longer strand). Mine are rose overtone, as I like them better on me than silver overtone akoyas. The camera picked up a colour variation in the box shot that does not exist in real life.

against white background.jpg on neck.jpg necklace.jpg

Miki Moto

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
2FF011E2-5C48-4C13-9ECF-B425AB7220B8.jpeg

Hi! To help you with sizing, here are some comparisons. The outer strands are my two 9.0-9.5mm strands. I put them on the outside so you can see them compared to the 7.0-7.5mm and 8.0-8.5mm.

So from left to right...9.0-9.5mm, 7.0-7.5mm, 8.0-8.5mm, 9.0-9.5mm.

Hope this helps you see the difference in size. You can also see the color difference too. The 7.0-7.5mm have the pink overtone.

And as @pearlsngems said... she is absolutely correct In that the 9.0-9.5mm are heavy. My 38” strand feels hefty compared to the others for sure.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@cmd2014 Wow, thank you so much for all the information and the pictures of your beautiful pearls! Thank you also for explaining the AP AAA versus the Collection Quality. It would be so good if I could go to NY and visit MM and AP! That extender is genius! I, for sure, am remembering that! The color comparison helps very much. I am afraid the freshwater is going to be more creamy than I want for summer wear since white is in so many prints. I'd like to have some SS earrings to go with my pendant, and that's a nice bright summer look. Yours do have nice luster!

@Miki Moto I have to say wow again, your pearls are just gorgeous, and that picture helps me immensely with size comparion. I know I won't go with 9mm unless I buy inexpensive freshwaters. I am likely to end up at either 7.5-8.0 or 8.0-8.5, but I think 8.0-8.5 should be my goal. It is interesting to see your strands next to each other, because I wouldn't be able to tell which one is which grade! The luster is just fantastic!

@pearlsngems Thanks again for your help last night. The idea of the smaller white Edison's is an appealing idea and something I will be watching for!

You have all be immensely helpful, and I will be rereading all the posts to be sure I have remembered everything. I plan to experiment as soon as I can, and I hope to get something figured out by the time the sales come along for Mother's Day! I'll be back to show you what I get for my first long pearl necklace! I was leaning towards freshwater to start, but now I am not sure about that due to the color. Thanks again!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, all the sales are posted and I don't feel any more certain about a decision! The sale makes buying high quality Akoyas appealing, but I really was of the mindset of getting freshwater first to see how much I really wear them.

As far as the freshwaters are concerned, my main concern is whether they will be white enough, I want to be able to wear them with summer clothes that have white in them. I've compared prices of PP Freshadama, Pearls of Joy Gem Grade, and Pure Pearls Elite. Pearls of Joy comes in with the lowest price. I am going to ask if anyone has heard of comparisons of these, but I am a little afraid people might not want to say so as not to offend vendors. But if you can give me guidance on whether quality is the same or not, I'd appreciate it!

Regarding Akoyas, American Pearl's AAA (which @cmd2014 said was equivalent to MM AAA) are the best deal over the Hanadama's of Pearl Paradise and Pearls of Joy. Pearls of Joy comes in second.

Something I find intriguing are the Pearls of Joy Madama blue silver pearls. I think they are gorgeous but I don't think I've actually seen someone with those. I am wondering if the top quality Akoyas (white or silver) are going to be more "dressy" than the freshwaters, though. I am very casual 95% of the time.

I'd appreciate any final thoughts. I've decided to not go for Miki Moto just due to the fact that I'd have to go second hand, and to find the length I want (38") might be impossible and still cost much more than all of these new. If I get a pearl addiction, maybe someday, though!

Last edited:

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a baroque silver-blue akoya strand, but I wear that very little, as I find it seems like too much blue when I'm wearing blue tops, but not quite matching other clothes. They also bring out the cool undertones in my skin a bit too much, and as I am also mostly gray haired it makes for too cool a tone overall. I seem to do better with warmer tones.

If you think the bluish silver will go well with your skin and clothes, I'd go for the Madama pearls.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@pearlsngems I felt like the Madamas would be more rare and whites are available all the time. I basically have dark hair which I will eventually tranform into natural gray, and my skin tone is pink. My colors in summer are white, black, turquoise, hot pink, bright royal blue, and winter, black, royal blue, purple, red, teal (mainly jewel colors). While I think the madama's would be ok with my skin, I have no idea what one would really wear Madama's with! When I look at my colors, I see the need for the long white strand, definitely, but maybe Tahitians more for winter if I can find some that aren't too green and brown. I don't wear those colors at all.

Miki Moto

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hi! I would like to provide my vote!
Hands down, I would buy akoyas. I would not buy freshwater pearls.

You don't need to get AAA akoyas, how about AAs? My very first strand were akoyas, no names, and probably not even As. I loved those pearls, I knew they were genuine akoyas, and I wore them to death. That is what started my love of pearls.

On color, you should go with silver white akoyas. The glow is beautiful. Pearls have a iridescence about them and will always have an overtone. Pearls are ivory, or "pearly white", never stark white. That is the beauty of pearls. They should not be flat stark white. I would be disappointed if my pearls were flat white as they would then look like strand of white glass beads. I have silver and pink overtone pearls as I previously posted photos above. I wear all of them interchangeably. I choose the strand based on the length of the strand I want to wear, not based on the overtone. In the summer, my look 99% of the time is white skinny jeans with a colorful top and and strand of pearls (if no pearls, I do a silver bottle necklace). All strands look great with my white jeans and sometimes also a white bag, so my point here is that your pearls will look great with white.

To be frank, I think you are over thinking the "white". Chanel, a big lover of pearls wore white pants with hers and they looked fabulous! Even with fake plastic pearls you can buy for little girls, you see they are almost always "pearly white" ivory with iridescence, never stark white.

I would get the akoyas, for sure. For me, I would not consider freshwater. There is a sale now on akoyas so it's perfect timing. You will have a beautiful strand of akoyas you can enjoy.

This is just my two cents... I hope it helps in your decision. Good luck to you!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Miki Moto Thank you! That does help! I sense that Akoyas are going to be whiter than any of the freshwaters, so that is probably what I should do. This is perfect timing to get the pearls before summer. So I think I will just focus on the Akoyas now. I'll do a little more exploring on the AAA versus AA. It's sooo much easier when one can compare strands and choose in person. Sometimes going with the higher grade just takes the worry out of the equation.

I'll be posting whatever I end up buying!

Miki Moto

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hi! How about getting two standard strands, AAA and AA (or even A), compare them, then you can order the exact one and length you want. I do that all the time when trying on clothes (order two sizes, keep the one that fits). I see pearls the same way and the return policy allows for that without penalty. A win win. I would order now so you can make a decision to purchase your real pair still within the sale window

This is so exciting! I am so happy for you that you are getting a strand of pearls! I hope you love them as much as I do! They can fun, elegant, chic... but they always make a statement!

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@pearlsngems I felt like the Madamas would be more rare and whites are available all the time. I basically have dark hair which I will eventually tranform into natural gray, and my skin tone is pink. My colors in summer are white, black, turquoise, hot pink, bright royal blue, and winter, black, royal blue, purple, red, teal (mainly jewel colors). While I think the madama's would be ok with my skin, I have no idea what one would really wear Madama's with! When I look at my colors, I see the need for the long white strand, definitely, but maybe Tahitians more for winter if I can find some that aren't too green and brown. I don't wear those colors at all.

I don't wear brown at all, and green rarely. Of all my pearls, the ones I wear most often are my various Tahitians, both summer and winter. The beauty of Tahitians is that they come in so many tones. I also love my GSS pearls, which look amazing worn with red, black and blue clothing.

I've actually been wearing my white pearls a bit more often lately-- baroque WSS, baroque akoya and silvery-white FW keshi. I hardly ever wear small round white pearls, although I do own some, both akoya and FW. They do not seem to go with my activities or wardrobe. It's this that makes me hesitate to buy any more white pearls at this stage.

But a white strand is a staple item, and probably everyone should have at least one. Good luck finding your best white strand!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi! How about getting two standard strands, AAA and AA (or even A), compare them, then you can order the exact one and length you want. I do that all the time when trying on clothes (order two sizes, keep the one that fits). I see pearls the same way and the return policy allows for that without penalty. A win win. I would order now so you can make a decision to purchase your real pair still within the sale window

This is so exciting! I am so happy for you that you are getting a strand of pearls! I hope you love them as much as I do! They can fun, elegant, chic... but they always make a statement!

That would likely help me to do that. I could also look at 7.5-8 and 8-8.5 because that is my biggest indecision at this moment. I am excited, too! I have a short strand I never wear, and I realized a long strand would be much more suitable for my lifestyle with wearing mostly longer tops over pants.

CareBear

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
2FF011E2-5C48-4C13-9ECF-B425AB7220B8.jpeg

Hi! To help you with sizing, here are some comparisons. The outer strands are my two 9.0-9.5mm strands. I put them on the outside so you can see them compared to the 7.0-7.5mm and 8.0-8.5mm.

So from left to right...9.0-9.5mm, 7.0-7.5mm, 8.0-8.5mm, 9.0-9.5mm.

Hope this helps you see the difference in size. You can also see the color difference too. The 7.0-7.5mm have the pink overtone.

And as @pearlsngems said... she is absolutely correct In that the 9.0-9.5mm are heavy. My 38” strand feels hefty compared to the others for sure.
@Miki Moto Thank you for sharing your knowledge of akoyas! Your pearls are STUNNING! :love::love::love:
I purchased a non-Hanadama strand from PP many years ago and even though I have never done a side by side comparison, the pearls just does not look to me as good as the Mikimoto strands I've seen. I used to wonder if it was just my imagination but your posts confirmed that it is not. You had suggested that @diamondseeker2006 go with silver white ones. Any reason why you prefer silver to rose overtones? Can you also tell me what grade each of your four strands, in the photo, are?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Miki Moto Thank you for sharing your knowledge of akoyas! Your pearls are STUNNING! :love::love::love:
I purchased a non-Hanadama strand from PP many years ago and even though I have never done a side by side comparison, the pearls just does not look to me as good as the Mikimoto strands I've seen. I used to wonder if it was just my imagination but your posts confirmed that it is not. You had suggested that @diamondseeker2006 go with silver white ones. Any reason why you prefer silver to rose overtones? Can you also tell me what grade each of your four strands, in the photo, are?

Hi, CareBear! I think if you read back through all her posts on this thread, I think she says the grades and they are all A-AA, I think. She recommend silver overtone for me because I want my stones as white as possible. Also read cmd2014's posts, because she bought a AAA necklace from American Pearl and went down the street and looked at Mikimoto AAA, and she believes they are equal in quality. A couple of people have said that both of these beat out the Hamadama's being sold by popular online sites. There is an immense price difference between MM and AP. There is a sale now, too.

http://www.americanpearl.com/akoya-pearl-necklaces.html

Miki Moto

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@CareBear Hi! Yes...as @diamondseeker2006 stated, mine are A-AA, all but one are A. I don’t think anyone can call out the AA in the photo as the As look just as good if not better. The AA was my first strand but since then, the difference to me between A-AA is not that significant so I went with As for future purchases. In comparing Mikimoto grades, the jump to me is from AA to AAA. The AAAs glow and reflect like glass. They are amazing!but prices are beyond what I would want to pay hence my preferred choice is now Mikimoto A grade. For color, I prefer the pink overtone as I think the pearl glows more and has more opalescense. But it’s preference as others prefer silvertone. Of the four you see, the two on the left are pink overtone and the two on the right are silver overtone. Even then you can see a slight variation but that is only because you can stare at them side by side and we are splitting hairs.

I wear the strands together often, but honestly, once they are on, the variation makes no difference. All you see are pearls.

It seems now is a good time for buying pearls with sales everywhere!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results