shape
carat
color
clarity

35-36" white round strand decisions

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What I don’t understand is why the AP price is so much more than TPS, even with the same grading?

https://www.thepearlsource.com/pearl-necklaces/white-akoya-pearl-necklaces.php

The grading is all over the place, isn't it?! The key is that they aren't really using equivalent scales. What I have gathered is that AP says they grade like Mikimoto with AAA the highest. The minimum level for Hanadama is a couple of steps below that. So these other popular vendors have Hanadama as their highest, and AAA, AA, etc, below that. So it seems that MM and AP carry higher grade pearls than these other vendors, potentially, although Hanadama can start at a grade lower than AA (AA1) and be that or any grade higher. So basically, these other vendors' AAA around MM's A level range at best.

It's taken me a few days to figure that out! Here's the Mikimoto grading scale which AP goes by:
http://www.americanpearl.com/qualitycheck.html

Miki Moto

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Not to add more decisions, but.... throw in some pearl studs too! I wear my pearl studs more than my diamond studs. Pearl studs make your face glow and light up.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not to add more decisions, but.... throw in some pearl studs too! I wear my pearl studs more than my diamond studs. Pearl studs make your face glow and light up.

I actually have a Tiffany pair at 8.5mm with silver overtone! So I am kind of set there until I buy a larger pair! What size are your pearl studs?

I am wavering back and forth as to whether I should return to my original plan of getting a test strand of freshwaters to be sure of what I want before getting a much more expensive necklace. If I could just go to NYC when they have the next sale, I would be able to go to MM and AP and compare quality even though I know I'd start with AP. Not to mention I could approve the strands they'd use. I acknowledge that the AP pearls could actually be a grade lower and still look great since obviously your MM A's look just fine, and I cannot tell which is AA. AP has a Collection Quality with the thickest nacre that easily could be the same as MM AAA.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@ILikeShiny In looking further at the Pearl Source site, their top freshwaters are less than the two I've been looking at. So I appreciate the reference! It's good for me to spend as little as possible for a high quality test strand.

Miki Moto

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hi! Yes, since you already Tiffany studs, no need to get another pair unless you want a different size. I have two sizes of pearl studs. I have a 8.0-8.5mm AA pink overtone (my very first Mikimoto piece) and also a 9.0-9.5mm A silver overtone pair.

On what strand to buy, my vote would be to go cheap to see if you even like long pearl strands. Keep in mind I had a 7.0-7.5mm 30” probably B-grade-no-name strand for years and wore them all the time. Then I realized... wow, I love pearl strands!

So for me, I would suggest you go cheap and wear them this season to see how you like it. That’s what I would do if I was not sure. To me, the color is not really the decision here, it’s whether you like pearl strands or not so any strand (go cheap) I think will be lovely. There is no such thing as a bad strand of pearls. Everyone looks chic with a strand!

Hope this was helpful.

Miki Moto

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
One more thought... as “classic” as everyone thinks pearls are, when people think of classic pearls, it is in reference to the 16” or 18” strand.

To me, the 30” or longer strands are more than that... they are totally chic, cool, and project such a confident statement. So my vote is go for them! I hope you will love them.

I know you will look so chic with that long strand swinging!

BlingDreams

Ideal_Rock
Premium
One more thought... as “classic” as everyone thinks pearls are, when people think of classic pearls, it is in reference to the 16” or 18” strand.

To me, the 30” or longer strands are more than that... they are totally chic, cool, and project such a confident statement. So my vote is go for them! I hope you will love them.

I’m dying for a 34-36” baroque multicolor strand. Trying to hold out for a Christmas present as I’ve bought myself enough presents lately! :whistle:

BlingDreams

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@ILikeShiny In looking further at the Pearl Source site, their top freshwaters are less than the two I've been looking at. So I appreciate the reference! It's good for me to spend as little as possible for a high quality test strand.
You’re welcome. I am completely happy with the Tahitians I bought from them, and those who know more about pearls said they thought they were gorgeous. So, I’d say TPS seems to be legit and worth a try if you see something you like.

I worked directly with Leon and he was great. I explained exactly what I wanted and didn’t want and he gave me just what I asked for. I actually was so happy with my necklace that I’ve ordered a coordinating bracelet, which I should have next week.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You’re welcome. I am completely happy with the Tahitians I bought from them, and those who know more about pearls said they thought they were gorgeous. So, I’d say TPS seems to be legit and worth a try if you see something you like.

I worked directly with Leon and he was great. I explained exactly what I wanted and didn’t want and he gave me just what I asked for. I actually was so happy with my necklace that I’ve ordered a coordinating bracelet, which I should have next week.

Oh, wow, I just checked your thread and those new pearls are gorgeous and perfect with your scarf and wedding dress! You are wise to go ahead and get the matching bracelet now. That is great to know they have high quality pearls and better pricing, too! I will tell them the specs I want, also, so I hopefully won't have to deal with a return.

I wrote a post above that explaining that these other vendors use a different akoya grading scale than MM and AP. It's like working out a secret code or something figuring out how all the grades equate! But I think I finally figured out the akoyas in case I eventually buy some!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi! Yes, since you already Tiffany studs, no need to get another pair unless you want a different size. I have two sizes of pearl studs. I have a 8.0-8.5mm AA pink overtone (my very first Mikimoto piece) and also a 9.0-9.5mm A silver overtone pair.

On what strand to buy, my vote would be to go cheap to see if you even like long pearl strands. Keep in mind I had a 7.0-7.5mm 30” probably B-grade-no-name strand for years and wore them all the time. Then I realized... wow, I love pearl strands!

So for me, I would suggest you go cheap and wear them this season to see how you like it. That’s what I would do if I was not sure. To me, the color is not really the decision here, it’s whether you like pearl strands or not so any strand (go cheap) I think will be lovely. There is no such thing as a bad strand of pearls. Everyone looks chic with a strand!

Hope this was helpful.

I don't think I mentioned this before, but many years ago I also had a 30" akoya strand probably about 7mm! I gave it to our older daughter several years ago because I felt like I wanted longer and better quality (we just bought what we could afford when we were really young and I had little idea about pearl quality!). It's just taken me awhile to get back to it! I am 99% sure about loving it, but the temporary strand will help me be sure what I want, and then if I decide to buy an akoya, I can pass along this necklace to one of my girls unless I want to keep it for travel or something. The younger one does wear various freshwater pearls quite often with dresses.

I am convinced on 38" being my ideal, as I have a 36" dbty and prefer longer necklaces with it. However, TPS has a 36" AAAA (their top quality) freshwater in 8-9mm, and I may just order the standard 36" since it would be easy to return if I did not want to keep it for any reason. But I will wait and call them and discuss the terms of adding 2" before I decide that.

I really only wanted 7.5-8mm in the akoya long strand due to the pricing. But I am going for 8-9mm with these freshwaters which will help me know if I need 8-8.5 in akoyas or not.

The one problem will be if they are low in stock and don't have any that are more white with silver overtone. I won't order cream.

CareBear

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
The grading is all over the place, isn't it?! The key is that they aren't really using equivalent scales. What I have gathered is that AP says they grade like Mikimoto with AAA the highest. The minimum level for Hanadama is a couple of steps below that. So these other popular vendors have Hanadama as their highest, and AAA, AA, etc, below that. So it seems that MM and AP carry higher grade pearls than these other vendors, potentially, although Hanadama can start at a grade lower than AA (AA1) and be that or any grade higher. So basically, these other vendors' AAA around MM's A level range at best.

It's taken me a few days to figure that out! Here's the Mikimoto grading scale which AP goes by:
http://www.americanpearl.com/qualitycheck.html
Thanks for posting the AP quality link. Very useful information!!! The AP AAA prices reflect their strict grading:P2

@CareBear Hi! Yes...as @diamondseeker2006 stated, mine are A-AA, all but one are A. I don’t think anyone can call out the AA in the photo as the As look just as good if not better. The AA was my first strand but since then, the difference to me between A-AA is not that significant so I went with As for future purchases. In comparing Mikimoto grades, the jump to me is from AA to AAA. The AAAs glow and reflect like glass. They are amazing!but prices are beyond what I would want to pay hence my preferred choice is now Mikimoto A grade. For color, I prefer the pink overtone as I think the pearl glows more and has more opalescense. But it’s preference as others prefer silvertone. Of the four you see, the two on the left are pink overtone and the two on the right are silver overtone. Even then you can see a slight variation but that is only because you can stare at them side by side and we are splitting hairs.

I wear the strands together often, but honestly, once they are on, the variation makes no difference. All you see are pearls.

It seems now is a good time for buying pearls with sales everywhere!
Good advice! From the four strands you posted, I honestly cannot tell which are A and which is AA.The AAAs are definitely out of the price range I'm willing to pay especially since I am hoping to go bigger next time. I will go check out the A grades next time and see what they look like in person.

Here is my strand. I hope this is at least A1? There aren't many blemishes but perhaps lacking a bit in luster and reflective factor? Also, do they look more 'pinkish' than Mikimotos rose overtones ones? It could also be that the size (7.5-8mm) turned out smaller than I envisioned.

8mm-akoya-small.jpg
8mm-akoya-closeup.jpg

Last edited:

Miki Moto

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@CareBear Hi! Your pearls look lovely. The pink overtone looks strong but I have seen so many different subtle shades of pink it’s not unusual.

I would say this on Mikimotos... if you are comparing for price, Mikimoto will always lose. Yes, they are over priced, and yes, you can probably get something close for much less. But if you want to own Mikimoto, I would say go for the A and pick your size and color.

Buying a brand is half mental and half quality. I read so much about pearls snd looked at so many. Every vendor compares themselves to Mikimoto. So I would say this...did Mikimoto do good marketing? Perhaps, but even the vendors feel they have to compare themselves to Mikimoto as they even recognize Mikimoto is truly the top 5%.

Mikimoto is not for everyone as some do not believe in paying the premium for the brand. But I do believe they make gorgeous pieces. If you are even considering Mikimoto, I think you will absolutely love a strand.

On size, yes... Since you already have 7.5-8.0mm, maybe look at the next size up which is 8.0-8.5mm or even 8.5mm-9.0mm? On pricing, if the first mm is a whole number, the pricing jumps a bit (like a 2.9ct diamond vs. a 3.0ct diamond) so a 8.0-8.5mm will be more than if you went a little smaller to 7.5-8.0mm. This is because in the 8.0-8.5mm all the pearls are guaranteed to be at least 8.0mm vs. in the second example, all the pearls are guaranteed to be at least 7.5mm.

With akoyas, the inflection point in pricing is 8.0mm because they get rarer as they get past 8.0mm. 8.0mm is still good pricing as they are not that rare, but the 9.0mm pearls zoom a bit higher and the 10mm are extremely high as they are the largest Akoya size and very rare. So play with the sizing also to look at pricing.

Some may need to get AAA with other vendors, but for me, for Mikimoto, even with a Grade of A, I think they are gorgeous.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for posting the AP quality link. Very useful information!!! The AP AAA prices reflect their strict grading:P2

Good advice! From the four strands you posted, I honestly cannot tell which are A and which is AA.The AAAs are definitely out of the price range I'm willing to pay especially since I am hoping to go bigger next time. I will go check out the A grades next time and see what they look like in person.

Here is my strand. I hope this is at least A1? There aren't many blemishes but perhaps lacking a bit in luster and reflective factor? Also, do they look more 'pinkish' than Mikimotos rose overtones ones? It could also be that the size (7.5-8mm) turned out smaller than I envisioned.

8mm-akoya-small.jpg
8mm-akoya-closeup.jpg

Those look beautiful! Where are they from and what grade? Do you have a picture wearing them? I might have to go with that size if I go with akoyas.

CareBear

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Those look beautiful! Where are they from and what grade? Do you have a picture wearing them? I might have to go with that size if I go with akoyas.
@diamondseeker2006 Thank you! They are 7.5-8mm AAA from PP, which is a slightly lower grade than their Hanadamas. These are also more pinkish than their Hanadamas. This strand is not the same quality as the AP AAAs, if AP grading is on par with Mikimoto. I don't have photos wearing them but will try to take pics later today.

CareBear

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@diamondseeker2006 I took some pictures of my akoya strand and also attached a pic from PP comparing their AAA rose overtone pearls to their Hanadamas. As you can see, the Hanadamas are more reflective with a bit more luster, and are a lot whiter. Hisano from PP did mention that the strand in this pic has strong rose undertones. It is not my strand. You can click on the comparison photo to view it fullsize.
cb-akoya-1.jpg cb-akoya-2.jpg pp-rose-hanadama.jpg

Last edited:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
These are so helpful, @CareBear! Yours look great to me! They are better than my current pearls, for sure. It's funny how white they look on. I really can't see the pink when you have them on! The picture of the rose overtone and the Hamadama's is amazing. I think I need the whiter strand for 38" because it will be worn over clothes more than skin. I think I would be fine with PP AAA. I need to look at pricing, though, because if they are close to AP AAA pricing, then it would make more sense to go with AP since theirs are probably a grade higher.

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
CareBear, is that top strand in the photo the Natural White Hanadamas (which are not pinked)?

CareBear

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
These are so helpful, @CareBear! Yours look great to me! They are better than my current pearls, for sure. It's funny how white they look on. I really can't see the pink when you have them on! The picture of the rose overtone and the Hamadama's is amazing. I think I need the whiter strand for 38" because it will be worn over clothes more than skin. I think I would be fine with PP AAA. I need to look at pricing, though, because if they are close to AP AAA pricing, then it would make more sense to go with AP since theirs are probably a grade higher.
Thanks DS! The Hanadamas in the photo was described to have silver undertones. I paid around $1250 for my AAA strand. It was 15% off of the regular price. But this was quite a few year ago. I have a 20% off Mother's Day discount code. Are we allowed to post that on PS? The PP Hanadama prices (with discount) are on par with the AP AAA prices. The PP AAA ones are slightly lower priced.

CareBear, is that top strand in the photo the Natural White Hanadamas (which are not pinked)?
I'm pretty sure the top strand is natural white as I remembering asking for a comparison between the natural Hanadamas and the rose overtone AAAs.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I honestly know the word is Hanadama. I just type it wrong repeatedly!!!

American Pearl True AAA (similar or close to MM AAA) in 7.5-8mm is less than PP White or Natural white Hanadamas, so it is a better deal and likely a grade higher as mentioned previously. TPS Hanadamas are less than the other Hanadamas. I would consider it second choice if one was willing to drop a grade from the True AAA.

In terms of the freshwaters, and I know there's no way to compare all the top quality ones without ordering them all, which I don't have time to do and stay within the sale time, best price is The Pearl Source, then Pearls of Joy, and Pearl Paradise is considerably higher than those. I can go with TPS top quality 36" in 8-9mm for less than the other two at 7.5-8mm.

I have to make a couple of calls to see how much it is to add 2" to these as well as making sure the return policy doesn't change. I am still concerned about the body color of the freshwaters as much as I'd like to have one.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks DS! The Hanadamas in the photo was described to have silver undertones. I paid around $1250 for my AAA strand. It was 15% off of the regular price. But this was quite a few year ago. I have a 20% off Mother's Day discount code. Are we allowed to post that on PS? The PP Hanadama prices (with discount) are on par with the AP AAA prices. The PP AAA ones are slightly lower priced.
I'm pretty sure the top strand is natural white as I remembering asking for a comparison between the natural Hanadamas and the rose overtone AAAs.

I saw that 20% code elsewhere, but I didn't know if they'd let me use it. But TPS Hanadama in 36in is about $1000 less than PP at 15% off. I think they have a greater quantity of sales and just price lower. What remains to be seen is if they are willing to give extra customer service like PP would as in handpicking me the best strand, etc. I am guessing not, so I would just have to order and return if it didn't meet my expectations. What I would really like to do is order American Pearl AAA and TPS Hanadama and compare them. I've gotta see if they will add the 2" and still give me a return policy, though.

BlingDreams

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I saw that 20% code elsewhere, but I didn't know if they'd let me use it. But TPS Hanadama in 36in is about $1000 less than PP at 15% off. I think they have a greater quantity of sales and just price lower. What remains to be seen is if they are willing to give extra customer service like PP would as in handpicking me the best strand, etc. I am guessing not, so I would just have to order and return if it didn't meet my expectations. What I would really like to do is order American Pearl AAA and TPS Hanadama and compare them. I've gotta see if they will add the 2" and still give me a return policy, though.
If I remember correctly, Leon said they supply cruise ships and vacation resorts with their strands so I’m guessing they do a ton of business, hence the lower prices. As for picking the best strand, they’ll actually assemble it upon order vs it being pre-strung, so hopefully the direct conversation you have with them will yield the results you’re looking for.

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi @diamondseeker2006 :wavey:

Pearls are my birth stone, AND I'm Australian - so pearls have been my wheelhouse from an early age.

Unfortunately, my pearl strand (2 x mikimoto strands joined into one) is still in Australia, or I would be able to show you a comparison between hanadamas and mikimotos. For my money, I think the PP hanadamas are competitive with the MM's. In fact, to be honest and without meaning to offend anyone, I think my hanadamas beat my MM's for color and general look. I only recently combined by MM strands - combining a 16" and 18" strand; they graduate slowly from 5mm at the back, to 7.5mm half way down each side, then remain constant for the middle half of the necklace. It's very pretty, but I prefer the luster of my hanadamas. I know that the graduated necklace I used was made of AAA MM's, but am not sure re the 18", constant width, strand. But either way - I still prefer the hanadamas.

I have to say, tho, the pearls that really float my boat at the moment are the hanadama natural white pearls. My goodness, but they're beautiful! I'm hoping that one day I'll get a 24" 8-8.5mm natural white hanadama necklace.

Have you seen the natural white hanadamas? Certainly worth considering, tho not cheap.

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would be cautious with TPS regarding hanadamas, especially if you might want to return them. Hanadama pearls need to be sent in *exactly* in the length/size of the finished necklace for grading at the Pearl Science Laboratory in Tokyo. The standard length is 18 inches, which is what the vast majority of Hanadama pearl necklaces are strung as. Altering the length after grading voids the certificate. Making a custom length would mean having to choose the pearls, make the strand, and send it in individually for grading to the PSL in Tokyo for inspection and certification. This costs $$$. So there has been some (maybe undeserved, I don't know) speculation about how exactly TPS offers this grade of necklace in all sizes in all custom lengths at any given time, when the other vendors are open about the difficulties that would be inherent in doing this. Plus, there have been threads on people who have compared strands between companies, and TPS has not fared well on this front. In regard to Tahitians, there have been many happy people with gorgeous strands. Less so in regard to hanadamas and fresh water strands based on feedback from pearl peeps here. I would also not go with AP Hanadama. They themselves would discourage you from doing so. They also do not fare well in comparison to their 'normally' graded akoyas, or anyone else's Hanadama strands.

https://www.purepearls.com/hanadama-vs-aaa-quality-akoya-pearls.html

The other thing that TPS has a bit of a reputation for is making returns difficult. I have no personal experience with this, but again, there have been people here who have spoken about this. If you have personalized service and have a high degree of certainty regarding happiness, that's one thing, but if not, PP, AP, POJ, Pure Pearls, etc., all have good reputations for no questions asked returns.

For the freshwaters, keep in mind that each vendor sets their own grading system, and often when there is a huge difference in price, there is a reason for that. Plus, some vendors specialize in different things. PP specializes in higher end freshwaters and baroque tahitian and south sea pearls. AP specializes in high end akoya for the most part (their other inventory is very limited most of the time). POJ is prime for metallic freshwater pearls and unusual, one of a kind offerings (check out the Maven collection to see what I'm talking about). This too will affect price as it affects the standards that they will internally set for what they buy at the trade shows.

CareBear

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

Pearls are my birth stone, AND I'm Australian - so pearls have been my wheelhouse from an early age.

Unfortunately, my pearl strand (2 x mikimoto strands joined into one) is still in Australia, or I would be able to show you a comparison between hanadamas and mikimotos. For my money, I think the PP hanadamas are competitive with the MM's. In fact, to be honest and without meaning to offend anyone, I think my hanadamas beat my MM's for color and general look. I only recently combined by MM strands - combining a 16" and 18" strand; they graduate slowly from 5mm at the back, to 7.5mm half way down each side, then remain constant for the middle half of the necklace. It's very pretty, but I prefer the luster of my hanadamas. I know that the graduated necklace I used was made of AAA MM's, but am not sure re the 18", constant width, strand. But either way - I still prefer the hanadamas.

I have to say, tho, the pearls that really float my boat at the moment are the hanadama natural white pearls. My goodness, but they're beautiful! I'm hoping that one day I'll get a 24" 8-8.5mm natural white hanadama necklace.

Have you seen the natural white hanadamas? Certainly worth considering, tho not cheap.
@mrs-b Are your hanadamas from PP or another vendor? Are they natural white hanadams? I have rose overtone non-hanadamas from PP. They are lovely pearls but I don't LOVE them and keep trying to figure out why. I selected rose overtones because that seemed to be the most popular, but I wonder if I don't actually like rose overtone. I LOVE my WSS strand, which is silver overtone, with the slightest hint of pink. Do you think the natural white hanadamas are closer in color and luster to WSS?

Last edited:

BlingDreams

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would be cautious with TPS regarding hanadamas, especially if you might want to return them. Hanadama pearls need to be sent in *exactly* in the length/size of the finished necklace for grading at the Pearl Science Laboratory in Tokyo. The standard length is 18 inches, which is what the vast majority of Hanadama pearl necklaces are strung as. Altering the length after grading voids the certificate. Making a custom length would mean having to choose the pearls, make the strand, and send it in individually for grading to the PSL in Tokyo for inspection and certification. This costs $$$. So there has been some (maybe undeserved, I don't know) speculation about how exactly TPS offers this grade of necklace in all sizes in all custom lengths at any given time, when the other vendors are open about the difficulties that would be inherent in doing this. Plus, there have been threads on people who have compared strands between companies, and TPS has not fared well on this front. In regard to Tahitians, there have been many happy people with gorgeous strands. Less so in regard to hanadamas and fresh water strands based on feedback from pearl peeps here. I would also not go with AP Hanadama. They themselves would discourage you from doing so. They also do not fare well in comparison to their 'normally' graded akoyas, or anyone else's Hanadama strands.

The other thing that TPS has a bit of a reputation for is making returns difficult. I have no personal experience with this, but again, there have been people here who have spoken about this. If you have personalized service and have a high degree of certainty regarding happiness, that's one thing, but if not, PP, AP, POJ, Pure Pearls, etc., all have good reputations for no questions asked returns.

For the freshwaters, keep in mind that each vendor sets their own grading system, and often when there is a huge difference in price, there is a reason for that. Plus, some vendors specialize in different things. PP specializes in higher end freshwaters and baroque tahitian and south sea pearls. AP specializes in high end akoya for the most part (their other inventory is very limited most of the time). POJ is prime for metallic freshwater pearls and unusual, one of a kind offerings (check out the Maven collection to see what I'm talking about). This too will affect price as it affects the standards that they will internally set for what they buy at the trade shows.

This is very helpful info CMD. Thanks for taking the time to write it up!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If I remember correctly, Leon said they supply cruise ships and vacation resorts with their strands so I’m guessing they do a ton of business, hence the lower prices. As for picking the best strand, they’ll actually assemble it upon order vs it being pre-strung, so hopefully the direct conversation you have with them will yield the results you’re looking for.

Yes, I spoke with them with several questions, and they will pick and assemble to my specifications just as you said. That is important, so I am glad I spoke with them. I am still exploring, though, and need to make a couple more calls!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Hi, MrsB! So you're a June baby! It is most helpful to hear everyone's experiences. I think it maybe was Miki Moto who said she had compared Hanadama's to MM and felt that the MM was superior! So in that case, it apparently is dependent on the specific strands being compared! I am kind of at a disadvantage unless I order multiple strands and return some. That's just a pain, and I'd really like to do it right the first time!

I agree about the natural white Hanadamas. I want as white as possible, so those are interesting to me.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Yes, thank you for the incredible amount of information! It is good to know what the various vendors' strengths are!

You are the one who recommended AP AAA as being very close to MM AAA, right? Then I think Miki Moto had compared Hanadamas to her MM.

From your recommendation along with Miki Moto, I have been largely considering that AP True AAA may be the best quality accessible short of going with MM. I haven't had a chance to call them yet, but I they say their True AAAs are natural white. Does that mean the same thing as PP calling some of their Hanadama's natural white??? The lady at TPS was not familiar with white and natural white Hanadama as being two different things. So I have to assume theirs are standard white and not natural white when I compare prices., although she said they were natural white.

TPS said they'd make a long necklace with two 18" strands with ordering the pearls in size on the left hand side and the other strand on the other side so they technically could be taken apart and put back in the correct strand. I am going to be in the same situation with all vendors as far as Hanadama certified strands go in regard to making a 38" necklace. I would have no interest in the cert being redone, but I will not buy anything without a return option.

Regarding pricing, yes, sometimes you get what you pay for. Other times, pricing differs greatly for basically the same thing with the same specs: Hearts on Fire, Crafted by Infinity, Whiteflash. I'm not going to pay for HoF when I can buy from WF for a significant amount less.

I like PP. They have great customer service. But their prices are higher than most of the others. The quality of the pieces would have to be greater for me to pay the price. I called another of those vendors Friday morning and asked them to see if they had any whiter freshwater strands (top quality) and they said they'd email me later in the day and I have never heard back, thus far. They also said they couldn't provide pics during the sale because they were busy! Prices were lower, though for top grade freshwater!

I am planning to call AP and talk about their AAA (assuming you still stand by them having top quality) because their prices were better than PP Hanadama, and I want them to compare to their next highest quality.

I really want a long freshwater and a fine akoya, too. But I am feeling that the freshwaters won't be white enough for me.

Last edited:

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The natural white hanadamas are special pearls that PP alone carries. The difference is that they have not gone through the normal processing that includes the pinking that all other akoyas go through. Every other akoya (other than the coloured ones) will have a natural white body colour, but will have gone through the pinking process.

https://support.pearlparadise.com/h...een-Regular-White-and-Natural-White-Hanadama-

I still think my AAA AP akoyas are top quality. I can't compare them to akoyas from the other online vendors as I have not seen direct comparisons. I have, however, seen hanadama pearls in retail stores that have not compared favourably to my strand, and mikimoto also compares well to mine.

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Regarding pricing, yes, sometimes you get what you pay for. Other times, pricing differs greatly for basically the same thing with the same specs: Hearts on Fire, Crafted by Infinity, Whiteflash. I'm not going to pay for HoF when I can buy from WF for a significant amount less.

The difference is that diamonds have consistent specs in terms of cut, clarity, colour, etc., (so long as you aren't mixing comparisons between GIA and other grading labs). Pearls do not. All vendors buy in the same venues, for much the same auction prices, and then they grade their products according to completely subjective grading systems that will vary wildly across vendors (no matter how similar their written grading systems might be). So price differences often (but not always) reflect differences in the grade of the pearls being sold. That's why it's good to buy from places that make returns easy, because the only way to know for sure is to see it for yourself.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results