shape
carat
color
clarity

35-36" white round strand decisions

CareBear

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@cmd2014 Do you have photos of your akoya strand? You had mentioned that you compared them to MM AAA ones and the quality was on par. Are yours hanadamas and from which vendor?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@cmd2014 Do you have photos of your akoya strand? You had mentioned that you compared them to MM AAA ones and the quality was on par. Are yours hanadamas and from which vendor?

She posted her pics on page 2 of this thread. Her American Pearl True AAAs are the first set of pics and then she posted freshwater and SS. They don't use Hanadama certs (but hers should be a high level Hanadama). They use Mikimoto grading scale.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The difference is that diamonds have consistent specs in terms of cut, clarity, colour, etc., (so long as you aren't mixing comparisons between GIA and other grading labs). Pearls do not. All vendors buy in the same venues, for much the same auction prices, and then they grade their products according to completely subjective grading systems that will vary wildly across vendors (no matter how similar their written grading systems might be). So price differences often (but not always) reflect differences in the grade of the pearls being sold. That's why it's good to buy from places that make returns easy, because the only way to know for sure is to see it for yourself.

Oh yes, the grading is totally inconsistent!!!! Pearls are much harder than buying diamonds, for sure! In fact, I started this quest a few years ago and totally gave up!!!:lol: I am beginning to feel that way now!

I meant even if you had three strands with the exact same qualities, they could still be priced very differently at three different vendors. Higher quantity sellers can buy larger quantities wholesale at better prices and sell for better prices. But I do listen to the experiences of others to try to make the best decision. I am just not attached to any vendor and am looking for high quality at the lowest price!

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
For what it's worth, the best looking akoya pearls I've seen in multiple photos on both forums are the natural white hanadamas. Have not seen them in person, and am not likely to buy a strand, but I think that is probably what I would go for if buying small white round pearls.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
For what it's worth, the best looking akoya pearls I've seen in multiple photos on both forums are the natural white hanadamas. Have not seen them in person, and am not likely to buy a strand, but I think that is probably what I would go for if buying small white round pearls.

I have seen BWeaves beautiful strand, but I wonder if there are any pictures comparing the white with natural white?

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, and I will message you links to photos on the other forum (they are not my photos).

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Okay, so in my research, tonight I found a picture of a Pearl Paradise Handama strand and an American Pearl AAA strand, and the PP Hanadama looked better! So all I can say is, every strand is different and some might be better one place and some better at others. It's tough to pick out strands of pearls without seeing them!!!!

Here's the picture which I feel I must post for those who might reference this thread later on:

PP Hanadama in the back and AP AAA in the front.
PPhanadamas.AP AAAfront.jpg

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Okay, today I am back with Pearl Paradise. It seems that they offer consistently high quality, a good selection, and very good customer service. I’ve done enough comparing and I feel more confident in PS at this time.

@Miki Moto Do you think the pink Hanadamas are going to look white over clothing? I don’t really don’t want to pay for the natural whites if I can avoid it. Plus I could go up a size to 8-8.5 mm if I went with the regular whites which are pinked. I asked for pictures next to the Freshadamas but they are very busy so that may take awhile.

Oh, and I have the pearl studs with silver overtone. I wonder if I could still wear those? I am kind of running out of options for white white unless I try to get baby off round SS pearls or something.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That should say I feel more confident in just going with PP (not PS...I type that out of habit! lol!).

Miki Moto

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hi! I never really think of pearls as stark "white", but rather, I think of them as pearly white with iridescence. As I recall, when I compared the PP hanadamas, they had a pink overtone but I thought they were fine. I personally prefer a pink overtone for akoyas and I think it makes the pearls glow more.

I know you want white white, but overall, any akoya strand is going to look "pearly white". My opinion is I think white white for pearls looks flat... it is the nature of pearls to have iridescence. For summer, I wear my pearls with white jeans all the time as well as with a white blouse, and I think it looks great, regardless of the overtone. It's the pearl look I want, not the pink or silver.

I don't think it's that critical to match your earrings or multiple strands and unless you purchase all your pearls at the exact same time, every strand or stud will vary. The difference in tone is what makes pearls unique, and once should embrace this uniqueness. The key is that each strand is perfectly matched. My 8.0-8.5mm studs have a pink overtone, and my 9.0-9.5mm studs have a silver overtone. I mix and match those with my strands.

For me, I would choose pearls in this order of importance:
- Akoyas, only akoyas for me as the glow of an akoya is unmatched to a freshwater or south seas
- Size, the mm of the pearl makes a difference, if I could only have one strand, it would be 8.0-8.5mm
- Length, as this is important for the "look" you want when wearing a long strand (e.g. I would rather trade off and have a 7.0mm 30" than a 8.0mm 20")
- Grade, for me, I a fine with Mikimoto Grade A. If I were not buying Mikimoto and had a certain price point, I would lower my grade to get akoyas, 38", 8.0-8.5mm
- Overtone... silver or pink... both will glow and look beautiful. My preference is pink over overtone.

Above all else... I think owning akoyas in the correct size and length are the most important.
We can compare now and see the tiny differences in overtone and grade. But after you purchase them, they will look beautiful on their own and you will probably forget these two factors. However, if it's not the glow of akoyas and the pearls look flat or they are too small and do not have enough presence, then for me... I would never wear them.

Long strands need to make a statement, so you need the size and length. An extreme example is a Mikimoto AAA silver overtone strand, but only in 20" and 6.0mm. I would never wear them because they are too short and the pearls are too small. Grade and overtone is low priority to me. I would spend the money on akoyas, size and length. As I have mentioned before, I would not get freshwaters.

Just my two cents. I hope that helps.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Miki Moto You have been a tremendous help! I read back through this entire thread today so I could review everything you and others have said. And what's funny is that you have told me most of this from the beginning, and I seem to be coming back around to doing exactly what you have advised me to do! I kind of wanted the Freshadamas to be the answer, but I have known all along they were going to be more creamy than the white Akoyas. So now I just have to see what they have. I hope I am getting closer to a final decision. I sincerely appreciate all the time you have taken to help me!

Miki Moto

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@diamondseeker2006 I am so glad you are close to a decision! PS is great for everyone to share their thoughts and ideas. This will allow you to have all our input to make the decision that works best for you.

I am sure whatever you choose, they will be gorgeous and most important of all... they will be so chic on you!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Okay, I have some pictures of two Hanadama (8-8.5mm) options (A and B) and the original Freshadama strands (7.5-8mm). The Freshadama (C) has blue tape on pearls she was going to remove and replace. I am sending the best pics, but I am sure they all look better in person. The lighting varied between cool and warm.

The question is, do I want rose overtone Hanadamas instead of silver, and do I think the Hanadamas are worth about 5-6 times more than the Freshadamas? I haven't made any decisions, and I welcome input.

IMG_8559.JPG IMG_8560 (1).JPG IMG_8562.JPG IMG_8563.JPG IMG_8564.JPG

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
More.... (note that in the last pic, the strands are in reverse order, C, B, A)

IMG_8565.JPG IMG_8566.JPG
IMG_8569.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_8570.JPG
    IMG_8570.JPG
    95.6 KB · Views: 25

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is a bad picture and not the best lighting, but these are my Freshadama studs on top, and my Tiffany white akoya with silver overtone on the bottom. The white would be my ideal, but I really am not wanting to pay a brand premium. PP just doesn't have any white with silver overtone.

Freshadama.Tiffanystuds.jpg

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The Freshadamas look the whitest of the 3, and the luster is very good.
And they are solid nacre.

When I bought my Freshadamas, I ordered silver rose overtones. They do not stand out well against my skin. Silver overtones would have been better for me. If you want them to stand out, I would personally avoid rose overtones. JMO

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The Freshadamas look the whitest of the 3, and the luster is very good.
And they are solid nacre.

When I bought my Freshadamas, I ordered silver rose overtones. They do not stand out well against my skin. Silver overtones would have been better for me. If you want them to stand out, I would personally avoid rose overtones. JMO

The Freshadamas were a surprise! I think they hold their own quite well with the others considering the price. I am leaning toward looking at them regardless of the decision on one of the others. My only qualm is that they are 7.5-8 and I had mentally decided 8-8.5 might be best for this project, but the next Freshadama size is 8.5-9 and they cost about twice as much.

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
They would also be heavier (about 50% heavier) at the larger size...are you sensitive to weight when it comes to jewelry?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
They would also be heavier (about 50% heavier) at the larger size...are you sensitive to weight when it comes to jewelry?

I don’t know! Maybe I should order the 7.5-8 Freshadamas just to set a baseline. Plus I can see the color.

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Are they returnable?

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
How did you come to decide what your ideal size was? Just wondering. My ideal pearl size has changed over the years (always upward, though :mrgreen2: )

If you really, truly are sure that 7.5-8.0mm is not large enough for you, then don't get that size. You will only end up wishing you'd put the money toward something larger.

There will always be more sales. You could just save up for larger / pricier ones if that is what you truly desire.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, I don't know for sure what my ideal size is! @pearlsngems I have a 17" strand of 7-7.5 akoyas that I can hold up like a long necklace and I know I want larger than that. I have a couple of necklaces with 9.8mm beads and I think those are too big. I do have pearl studs (above) in 8.5 and 9.0. I like larger pearls for short strands.

I don't like the double price of the 8.5-9 Freshadama's compared to 7.5-8. There's not a 8.0-8.5. I just wouldn't pay $2000 for a long strand of white freshwaters. When I get to that price, I may as well do the Hanadamas (or white AAA elsewhere).

I may see if I can order two of the strands of Hanadamas and the Freshadamas to see what I like and determine size, too. I don't know if they'll send the Hanadamas unfinished, though. Pearls of Joy has 8.5-9 Gem Grade for around the price of the PP 7.5-8mm Freshadamas. I guess I could order that, too, other than he never responded after my initial call. Either he forgot or he didn't want to deal with a 38" strand, or something.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This may sound odd but have you considered buying an imitation strand, just to see if you like that size, length and weight? Here is one I found:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/38-White-Imitation-Pearl-Hand-Knotted-Necklace-8mm-11/183169182376?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649

Even if you miss buying at this sale, don't worry-- there are always more sales!

I actually did consider doing that earlier! I don't think it's odd at all. I'd prefer getting some locally so I could return them easily, but I haven't had much of a chance to look. I am saving the one above.

I agree that Freshadamas will be around, but my intent was to buy the long whites for summer. So if I don't buy now, I'll likely miss having any this summer.

In the case of the Hanadama's, I do not think I could buy a non-returnable necklace without seeing the two strands first. They'd have to be exactly what I want to keep them. I realize I may not encounter the sale prices on these again, so it would help a lot if I could see the unfinished strands.

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If I lived near L.A. I'd probably visit PP in person. Theirs is not a retail shop, but they do have a showroom with visits by appointment (but not during a sale, I wouldn't think.)

I'm messaging you...over there.

CareBear

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@diamondseeker2006 All three strands from PP are lovely! My preference, if price was not a factor, would be Hanadama A. Do you happen to know the overtone of that strand? However, I personally would not pay 5x for Hanadamas, for a 38" strand. With a 38" strand, that is worn over clothing, the pearls can get damaged because your dealing with buttons, zippers, purse straps etc. I would have no qualms paying more for a 16/18" Hanadama strand. My suggestion would be to go with a 38" 7.5-8mm Freshadamas and save the rest of the money for a 16/18" 8-8.5mm Hanadama strand!

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Okay, so in my research, tonight I found a picture of a Pearl Paradise Handama strand and an American Pearl AAA strand, and the PP Hanadama looked better! So all I can say is, every strand is different and some might be better one place and some better at others. It's tough to pick out strands of pearls without seeing them!!!!

Here's the picture which I feel I must post for those who might reference this thread later on:

PP Hanadama in the back and AP AAA in the front.
PPhanadamas.AP AAAfront.jpg

No, that’s inaccurate. That’s a picture of two Hanadama strands. It shows how much of a variation there is in the grade. The bottom is not an AAA strand from AP - it’s one of their Hanadama strands that 1) they don’t recommend , and 2) they are very open about the fact that they rank at about an A+ on their scale - and are priced accordingly. If you research carefully they don’t believe in using the Hanadama grade for precisely that reason. There are other photos of similar Hanadama comparisons between PP and The Pearl Source that also show a wide variation in the grade (and PP has a poor relationship with both those vendors so when these things are posted on the PP hosted site, you need to take it with a grain of salt). It’s again why the Hanadama grading system is flawed and why you have to do research between vendors about what their specific grades are. AP AAA is of much higher quality then their Hanadama strands. Mine would look like the top strand in that photo. They are honestly the most lustrous Akoya I have seen barring Mikimoto AAA. Please be careful in not spreading inaccurate info.

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium
3BACD976-5226-44A2-B99F-975397D952C6.jpeg

These are a comparison between Hanadama strands between Pure Pearls and “a competitor” (generally thought to be TPS based on other criticisms in the text). The problem is that the minimum quality to make the grade can be miles away from the top examples of the same grade. It’s why Mikimoto and AP went to a different grading system and offer AAA (or collection quality) as their top of the line . But PP, POJ, and Pure Pearls tend to seek out higher quality strands in the Hanadama grade and offer their Hanadamas as their top of the line offerings. You just need to know who offers what, and why to compare apples to apples.

Honestly I don’t think you’ll be happy with a freshadama strand given what you have said. And the size you are looking at will likely look small in a 38 inch length. But PP has excellent return policies, so for peace of mind, it’s worth a try.

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Also, when comparing strands, keep in mind that the camera will focus better on one than another, so it’s why vendors often offer multiple perspective shots. It gives an illusion of better luster on the more sharply focused strand. You can clearly see it in the PP pictures of your potential strands.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results