shape
carat
color
clarity

35-36" white round strand decisions

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So with the sales, I caved and bought a Hanadama strand from PP and an AAA bracelet. For those who are wondering how they compare to AP AAA, here are some pictures.

The Hanadama are beautiful. They have beautiful luster, are well matched, and are blemish free. I think anyone would be happy with them. They do have slightly less luster than my AP AAA. It’s more noticeable to my eye than on camera. It’s possible that this is partly related to the difference in size (larger pearls often struggle to have the same kind of luster as smaller ones), but the AP AAA do have visibly sharper luster. These are the front pearls in each strand. If the pricing was equal (which it is when there aren’t crazy sales on Hanadama pearls at PP), I would go with AP.

AP on top, PP Hanadama on bottom.
FD1122DA-740E-41CB-A0C8-4E79AA17CFB4.jpeg

As expected, the PP AAA are noticeably less lustrous than the Hanadama, but are also well matched and blemish free.

PP AAA on top; Hanadama on bottom.

8A888459-DB6C-4C0A-9E29-8DD1C101673F.jpeg

AP AAA on top, PP AAA middle, with PP Hanadama on the bottom.
CA56FA4D-4468-486C-8C41-50F76763E2B7.jpeg

I would say that the AP AAA pearls are slightly higher quality than the Hanadama (along the lines of AAA vs AA on the Mikimoto scale). The AAA from PP are quite a bit different from AP’s AAA. The Hanadama are still stunning though. Here’s a neck shot:

60E781A5-7FBC-4D3B-94D0-894943A0CF0A.jpeg

Attachments

• 2CE6099C-C5FC-420F-9D28-3B270AB3F611.jpeg
    2CE6099C-C5FC-420F-9D28-3B270AB3F611.jpeg
    124.4 KB · Views: 33

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@diamondseeker, you can see that the regular pinked Hanadama look white even next to my white shirt. So do my white freshwater pearls, although the freshwater ones look creamy off the neck in comparison to the Akoya pearls.

sarahb

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thank you for posting your well thought-out response & pics CMD. Not a huge difference in later betweenAP & PP, but in some cases that little bit can make a huge difference. Appreciate your thoughts. Congrats on your new strand, its a beauty!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@cmd2014 How wonderful to have a comparison of the three types!!! All look good, but when one is spending a lot of money, it is important to know the differences! Would you please tell the mm size of each strand? I am very curious how big your PP Hanadamas are. They look great on you! I am assuming you aren't keeping all of these right?

Thanks so much for posting these!!! I am saving them for future reference!

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My PP Hanadama are 8.5 - 9 mm. The AP Akoya strand that I bought years ago is 7.5 - 8 mm. The AAA Akoya bracelet from PP is 7 - 7.5 I believe. It just looks like a lot because the strands were doubled to fit in the box. It’s really only 2 strands and a bracelet.

I already own the AP strand. It was my very first strand of pearls. Nice to see I started on a high note. I am debating whether to keep the Hanadama strand and the bracelet (I bought the bracelet mainly to use as an extender for the strand because 18 inches is a bit too short for me, and believe it or not a bracelet is less expensive than having a custom extender made). I have often wished that I went larger with my AP strand. 7.5 - 8 seems petite now. So I jumped at the chance to buy the 8.5 - 9 mm Hanadama in the sale. But now I am wondering if it’s enough of a size difference to justify having both. My smaller AP pearls really have presence on the neck due to their luster. They just glow. And I’m not sure the larger pearls look really that much different. My husband is doing his best to not have an opinion, which is both sweet and frustrating.

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
cmd2014, do you wear your amazing WSS necklace from PP much? I love that strand on you (and would love to see more photos of it).

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is helpful for me to see the 8.5-9 because size was such a quandry for me. Do you think that will be a good size for a long strand? It looks gorgeous on you! My only white pearls are 7-7.5. I like them, but those 8.5-9's look pretty awesome!

I missed that the AAA was a bracelet. I had thought the same thing about buying a bracelet as an extender!

Miki Moto

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@cmd2014 Hi, your pearls look lovely. My favorite is your AP AAA. I am all about the iridescent glow of an akoya. As far as size, I do think the 1.0mm difference is noticeable. I think you will see it in time and be glad you purchased a larger mm strand. Perhaps get a second AP AAA in a larger size? Maybe try 9.0-9.5mm also. They look great as a shorter strand.

Or, if you do not want to end up with two short strands but prefer a larger pearl size...
you could take your existing necklace (I assume 18"?), add 3" and have them strung to three 7" bracelets. Then you can purchase a AP AAA larger pearl strand.

I have three pearl bracelets and wear them either doubled, or tripled if I want a more dramatic look. I purchased each bracelet as a single (not as a double or triple) as I like the movement.

Just a thought. Good luck!

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium
cmd2014, do you wear your amazing WSS necklace from PP much? I love that strand on you (and would love to see more photos of it).

Thank you. I *love* that strand. I think if it as the nicest piece in my collection. I used to wear it to work all the time. But then I noticed that clients were staring at it (not in a good way....more in a “hey we’re paying you *way* too much” kind of way) so I stopped. Then I switched to my freshwater and Tahitian strands, which never got the same reaction, and then to be honest, the last year has been hard and I got a bit down and stopped wearing much jewelry at all. And DH and I don’t seem go out much anymore (and when we do, he never wants to dress up), so I don’t get to wear it as much as I would like.

This is the outfit that got the stares:
7584B562-20A6-4D87-8FDC-6CEC05E41425.jpeg

But when we do go out for fancy occasions, this is my go-to strand. It has huge wow factor. I tend to alternate between this and my AP strand. It’s part of my debate about the Hanadama strand. I have a few fancy pieces already that I don’t get to wear enough as is. Im not sure the Hanadama has enough presence to compete with my WSS for those wow occasions, and it’s bigger, but not that much different than my AAA AP strand (and it’s hard to compete with the luster of my AP strand).

But the flip side is that I’ve never seen pearls of that size and quality be offered at that price (I have been keeping an eye out for years). I *could* save up for an AP AAA version, but it would be more than double the sale price of my current strand (thanks to PP’s amazing 30% sale in combo with my lifetime accumulation of pearl points), and honestly I’m not sure I’d get to a place where I’d be confortable spending the kind of money needed for an AP strand of that size. And 9-9.5 mm ones are even more $$$, because Akoya pearls rarely reach that size. So I think my decision is between keeping the Hanadama strand or not, rather than between the Hanadama strand and an equivalent AP version.

Attachments

• ADADE06F-C9B6-4BBF-A7DE-6FF9BA2831B1.jpeg
    ADADE06F-C9B6-4BBF-A7DE-6FF9BA2831B1.jpeg
    130.3 KB · Views: 32

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The price was what was tempting me, for sure. But I wasn't 100% sure of size or whether I wanted the pinked ones. In your case, you have the SS strand and the AP smaller strand, and honestly, to me it seems like those would cover all your needs for 18" strands of white. I am thinking that if I were to only have one 18" strand, the 8.5-9's look really great, though. Your SSs are GORGEOUS!

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for the photo cmd2014-- gorgeous! :appl:

I don't really go anywhere fancy, so I wear my pearls when running errands, grocery shopping, even just around the house. If I waited for special occasions, they would just sit in my drawer, and where is the pleasure in that?

My white baroque akoyas from PP from PP are 9.5-10mm. It's a good thing I like baroques, because I couldn't justify spending that much on hanadamas, and I really like big pearls! :P2

CareBear

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@cmd2014 Thank you for posting the comparison pics of you PP and AP akoyas! OMG, the 8.5-9mm size is just PERFECT!!! I think I just figured out why I don't love my PP strand. It is gonna cost a lot to 'fix' the problem. :P2

sarahb

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
CMD, your WSS strand is beyond gorgeous, it's probably posted elsewhere, but what size are those pearls? I love the baroque shape, they are beautiful. I guess I'm now waiting for the next PP WSS sale.

Last edited:

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is helpful for me to see the 8.5-9 because size was such a quandry for me. Do you think that will be a good size for a long strand? It looks gorgeous on you! My only white pearls are 7-7.5. I like them, but those 8.5-9's look pretty awesome!

I missed that the AAA was a bracelet. I had thought the same thing about buying a bracelet as an extender!

I would LOVE to have a long 8.5 - 9 mm rope. I think that would be gorgeous. And very versatile too. As I'm getting older, I've been finding more and more that I prefer longer strands than just the chokers. Maybe because they are elegant but a bit more casual and that appeals to me these days.

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium
CMD, your WSS strand is beyond gorgeous, it's probably posted elsewhere, but what size are those pearls? I love the baroque shape, they are beautiful. I guess I'm now waiting for the next PP WSS sale.

Thank you! They are not that big for WSS (10 - 12 mm). But they look way larger than they are. I think it's because of how high the luster is and because of how silvery white they are.

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for the photo cmd2014-- gorgeous! :appl:

I don't really go anywhere fancy, so I wear my pearls when running errands, grocery shopping, even just around the house. If I waited for special occasions, they would just sit in my drawer, and where is the pleasure in that?

My white baroque akoyas from PP from PP are 9.5-10mm. It's a good thing I like baroques, because I couldn't justify spending that much on hanadamas, and I really like big pearls! :P2

Yeah, I saw Kevin at POJ had a strand of 9.5 - 10 that went for more than I spent on my first car I think. I know AP's AAA 9 - 9.5 start at $$$$$ for a 16 inch strand. Not going to happen for me either, I'm afraid! I've always regretted not going for the baroque akoya strands. My hesitation was that I am shape sensitive, and while some people's baroques were really just off-round (which I wouldn't mind...I love drops, and ovals, and anything that is smooth and reasonably symmetrical), some were quite baroque, which I didn't think would be for me. It was my issue with the blues too. They were all quite a bit more baroque than the whites.

I was doing well at wearing my pearls to work. I work in an office and tend to dress in suits or dressy skirt/sweater combos, but this last year sort of took the wind out of my sails and I have to admit that I went lax with spiffing myself up. I'm trying to remediate that now that I'm starting to feel more like myself again.

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you! They are not that big for WSS (10 - 12 mm). But they look way larger than they are. I think it's because of how high the luster is and because of how silvery white they are.

Also they look larger because the strand has some nice fat drops, which are larger than round pearls of the same diameter would be.
I love fat drops. :mrgreen2:

bright ice

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I have a question for you, mainly would like to run my plan for your input.

I currently own a strand of AAA baroque WSS 11.1-13.3 pearls and just bought a second strand of AA+/AAA 9.0-10.8.

I’m planning on having the new strand combined to make a 35” long strand but have them alternate the sizes randomly but of course balanced for a more unique/chic/casual-dressy strand.

I appreciate your opinion and anyone else who cares to comment.

Secondly,
I’m interested in buying one of PP Hanadama strands and the only remaining sizes are 8-8.5 and 9-9.5 mm. I’m thinking I should buy the 9-9.5 while they are 30% off. Will they be too large or do you recommend the size since I’ll only be able to have one strand?

Last edited:

Babyblue033

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Secondly,
I’m interested in buying one of PP Hanadama strands and the only remaining sizes are 8-8.5 and 9-9.5 mm. I’m thinking I should buy the 9-9.5 while they are 30% off. Will they be too large or do you recommend the size since I’ll only be able to have one strand?
I can't offer any advice being a total noob but I just looked at those same sizes yesterday. Then customer service at PP pointed me to necklace & earring set in 8.5-9! That's what I ended up getting since I also wasn't sure if 9-9.5 would be too big.

Set isn't 30% off but I used the 20% off coupon.

Rubybrick

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

I currently own a strand of AAA baroque WSS 11.1-13.3 pearls and just bought a second strand of AA+/AAA 9.0-10.8.

I’m planning on having the new strand combined to make a 35” long strand but have them alternate the sizes randomly but of course balanced for a more unique/chic/casual-dressy strand.

Secondly,
I love my 35” SS baroque strand and find myself grabbing it a lot. It’s easy to dress up or down. Mine are a mix of white/light gold, but the size is 10-12mm, my strand is graduated in size but my pearls are “very” baroque. And the colors are pretty random. So my vote is to try it. Perhaps you can have a few mock ups with a local jeweler before they are knotted?

bright ice

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love my 35” SS baroque strand and find myself grabbing it a lot. It’s easy to dress up or down. Mine are a mix of white/light gold, but the size is 10-12mm, my strand is graduated in size but my pearls are “very” baroque. And the colors are pretty random. So my vote is to try it. Perhaps you can have a few mock ups with a local jeweler before they are knotted?

Alex at PP is going to do the mixing/matching and send photos until I’m/we are happy with it’s layout

bright ice

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can't offer any advice being a total noob but I just looked at those same sizes yesterday. Then customer service at PP pointed me to necklace & earring set in 8.5-9! That's what I ended up getting since I also wasn't sure if 9-9.5 would be too big.

Set isn't 30% off but I used the 20% off coupon.

That’s great!
I didn’t even look at sets as I was too focused on strands/size but I’ll check it out ASAP.
Thanks!!!

Babyblue033

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
That’s great!
I didn’t even look at sets as I was too focused on strands/size but I’ll check it out ASAP.
Thanks!!!
Same here! I was torn between going smaller than I wanted or spending more than I was comfortable with. Was so happy when they showed me the set as I would've never found it on my own. Glad I can pass along the info!

bright ice

Ideal_Rock
Premium
463C56C3-3536-409A-B783-2A175104CACD.png
Fantastic! Sounds really exciting! Can’t wait to see it. 936FA0FB-4C24-4656-A003-42CBB369DF6B.jpeg Here’s mine that I forgot to post earlier.

OMG, they are gorgeous and I love them!!!
Are they 35”?

Rubybrick

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
OMG, they are gorgeous and I love them!!!
Are they 35”?
yes, just measure it again to be sure I am not remembering wrong. And thank you, I love it, and love the weight too strangely

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I did this with silver Tahitians. PP found me three matching strands and put them together into a rope. I had an 8 inch bracelet pulled out so I can wear them shorter or longer depending on neckline, and they are very versatile. I wear these the most of anything I own.

36350E73-9C3F-4F5F-88C7-ED99650C51E3.jpeg 9478D445-B106-4A2F-8690-D3CF5077358F.jpeg 4934DF74-719A-4181-A8B3-9C011CAFCFEB.jpeg 8FC0BA7A-51F4-42CA-8AB7-F54EC4AE5C7E.jpeg 4F7C7A81-1AC2-4C93-9C58-702F470F15D0.jpeg

Last edited:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You girls are killing me! I've gotta get a SS and Tahitian long rope!!!:love:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results