shape
carat
color
clarity

$1,000 - $150,000 Sapphire engagement ring

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

LadyAmythyst69

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/13/2007 11:58:24 PM
Author: risingsun
Thanks, LadyA. I wonder if they could make that ring with a smaller center stone. I can''t quite stretch my budget that far
17.gif
I''m just dreaming, right now, but that is a fabulous ring
30.gif
I''m sure that they could. Just tell them what your budget is & they will work it out for you.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have just found this thread and hope Doc M comes back soon to update us on his quest....
30.gif

surfgirl

Ideal_Rock
I think you guys have scared him off!
28.gif

ER_Doc_Mike

Rough_Rock
Date: 11/13/2007 12:45:25 AM
Author: Linda W
Yea, shame on him for letting us hang!!!
32.gif
I agree. Shame on me. Sorry everyone, I've just been really really busy until now. Here we go:

Wednesday : NSC

Finished my business meeting in Philadelphia, and took the train to NYC. I actually arrived in NYC around 3:30pm, so I got a chance to meet with the Natural Sapphire Company a day early.

The first thing which struck me was the huge security precautions they have taken. There is a sign saying something to the effect of "Burglars, please carry ID so we can identify your body".

Anyway, I have to say that I was not impressed with this place. Their main selling point seemed to me to be the fact that their sapphires are unheated. I was told that they had lot of sapphires, but they only showed me a handful of round stones.

I realise that one should buy a sapphire because one likes the beauty of it, but the salesman seemed to me to be reluctant to discuss details of the stones, such as origin, and instead wanted me to focus a lot on how beautiful I subjectively assessed the stones to be.

They would not allow me to take photos of any of their stones.

Thursday : Leon Mege

The first place I visited was Leon Mege. Leon is different from the others I visited on this trip, since he appears to be a ring designer, and not a sapphire merchant.

He had a few stones picked out for me, and did a very good job of answering my questions. He told me that he does not sell the stones himself, and that I was welcome to buy a stone from another dealer, and then he'd use that to make a ring for me.

We talked about what sort of ring I was looking for, and he drew up a schematic of what he thought would look nice. Up until this point, I was really quite sold on the ring from 23rd Street jewelers. But when I saw Leon's creation (on paper), I decided I wanted that instead.

I liked one of the stones (a heated 3.96 carat stone which he suspected was from Burma or Ceylon), but wanted to see others. Since I had got my NSC appointment cleared for the day, we said that I'd come back later in the day, and hye'd have sourced some more stones for to look at.

Thursday: Cherry Picked

My next port of call was Cherry Picked. They had a nice workshop in their offices, with some people working on extremely pretty stones.

They were very professional, and I must commend their initial phone conversations with me as being highly informative. He even was particular that he wanted me to visit him during daylight hours, so that the light by which I viewed the sapphires, was good.

I thought their prices were a little on the high side for the stones they were offering. In fairness to them, I must stress that I have practically no experience in the gem business, and this is therefore a pretty uninformed optinion, but nonetheless it's the one I came away with. Again, I am a complete beginner in the realm of sapphires, so don't take my opinion too seriously - it's just the impression I got, even though I'm not basing it on much.

Thursday: Odds and ends; then back to Leon

I visited one or two more dealers, then called Leon to see if he had any more stones. He did, and I went back to his offices.

After looking at a bunch of his stones, I decided on the original 3.96 carat sapphire he'd shown me earlier. It was heat-treated, and the price we eventually negotiated was $10500. I chose it for two main reasons: (1) I thought it was pretty, and would look pretty in the ring he'd sketched out (2) Leon said it was the stone he'd most like to work with in the ring.

Leon's labor and costs in making the ring setting are not included in this price.

I will check with Leon and my girlfriend (after I've proposed), to see if either of them mind my posting a copy of the schematics of the ring, or else a picture of the finished product, on this forum.

Because the ring did not come with a certificate, I asked for it to be sent to an AGTA lab (at my expense), before he started his work. Apparently the certification would take about a week, then 4-8 weeks for Leon to make the ring.

Overall, I've been very impressed with Leon so far.

In the cab to La Guardia, I called 23rd Street Jewelers and Palagems in California, to let them both know that I was cancelling my trip, since I'd already found what I was looking for. I barely made my flight, since the NYPD had decided to close off lots of entrances to the Queen's Midtown tunnel.

Thank you all for your help in this exciting journey of mine. I am so sorry NSC wouldn't allow me to take pictures; and I forgot at Cherry Picked. I do have pics of the sapphire I ended up buying, as well as the sketches of what the ring will look like, but I don't know if my girlfriend and/or Leon would be happy with my posting them in a public forum at this time.

Again, thank you so much for pointing me in the right direction. I know I ended up spending a fraction of my budget, but I really think I'm going to have a really splendid piece nonetheless.

postscript: I am very glad I brought along a copy of a book recommended to me by Bill at Goldin in Chicago: "Gemstones Quality and Value volume 1" by Yasukazu Suwa. It has lots of very interesting stuff in it, but in particular, I found the color chart on page 85 to be very very useful.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
YAY, Er Doc!!! Sounds like you found a lovely stone! Can''t wait for the finished ring and thank you for a nice review!!!
36.gif
36.gif

LadyAmythyst69

Brilliant_Rock
Sounds like you did a fantastic job. I can''t wait to see the ring!! I''m sure Leon will wow us all!

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Finally chiming in. I have been following your story, but since I know nothing, I kept quiet.
5.gif

Anyway, I''m so glad you found a stone. Having seen many pieces of Leon''s posted here, I can only imagine just how gorgeous it''s going to be. I hope we get to see it!

surfgirl

Ideal_Rock
Congrats Mike...I''m sure Leon will do your stone proud!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think you made an excellent choice! Leon''s rings are shown here all the time, so I am sure he''d be happy for you to show pictures of the finished ring! We''ll look forward to seeing it!

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
Leons work is amazing. We can''t wait to see the finished ring.

Linda

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

I can only imagine how beautiful it will be. And I look forward to the final viewing!!

cheers--Sharon

Libster

Brilliant_Rock
I''m glad your trip was a success and can''t wait to see that beauty!

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
congrats! and since you''ve reduced the cost of the e-ring itself, you can now afford to buy a necklace and earrings to go with it!

movie zombie

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/15/2007 12:49:43 AM
Author: movie zombie
congrats! and since you''ve reduced the cost of the e-ring itself, you can now afford to buy a necklace and earrings to go with it!

movie zombie

MZ, you read my mind!!!

ER Doc, congrats! And, once you have permission, please post pics of that beauty!

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks for the update ER DOC I know Leon will do a great job for you!!!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/15/2007 2:29:21 AM
Author: Kaleigh
Thanks for the update ER DOC I know Leon will do a great job for you!!!
Ditto that, it is going to be fabulous!!! Thanks for the update!

ER_Doc_Mike

Rough_Rock
Date: 11/15/2007 12:49:43 AM
Author: movie zombie

movie zombie
This is an excellent idea. I will call Leon today and ask him about it.

Thank you for all your kind wishes.

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for giving us an update, it is really interesting hearing your impressions. It is so nice that you got to pick your stone out in person, after seeing a good selection.
Yes, If it is ok with your fiance to be we would LOVE pics. I love seeing pics of the stone alone, and then set.

Re: earrings and necklace - that''s pricescope thinking for you!

ER_Doc_Mike

Rough_Rock
Date: 11/15/2007 11:16:09 AM
Author: part gypsy

Re: earrings and necklace - that''s pricescope thinking for you!
I now have a trip to NYC planned for Monday. I''m going to meet again with Leon to discuss some ideas for matching earrings and necklace. And I''ll try to be a little more prompt with my trip report!

Any ideas as to necklace or earring designs would be much appreciated. I know you pricescopers were really helpful with the ring, so any input on the accessories would be great!

Thanks!

Nicrez

Ideal_Rock
Entirely biased opinion here, but I prefer a nice drop earring with diamonds.

As a matter of fact I just got back from the Diamond District and saw a pair I covet. They are pear shaped sapphires surrounded by an eloganted 5 sided surrounded in baguettes (which I generally do not like). The tops of the earrings are delicate pave, and they are just divine. I think repro for sure, but I adore them. I didn''t go in, I just saw them in a window, but I loved the design.

Or you can do something classic (sometimes I feel a bit older) by getting round sapphire surrounded with diamonds so they set on the ear. If you want versatility, get them created with a hook, so you can add or remove a drop later or for special ocassions where more diamonds, and maybe more sapphires are required. Otherwise they can be worn somewhat daily.

As for a necklace I would say you can either match shape by getting a round center stone in sapphire or get a different shape so it''s not so matchy-matchy. Necklaces can come from ornate pendants to bib style, so if depends on it''s use. What I always love are things that can be converted. Versatility in clothing and accessories if elemental to me. So start out with a large center sapphire in a pave surround and two smaller ones in the same look, spread out on a simple chain, maybe at a 16" length. It''s a full look without being overbearing. Also depends on the size of the center and side sapphires. THEN underneath each basket, have a hidden hook (like the earrings) to dress up for a drop. I adore the ability to to liven up a piece with more diamonds, or conversely to dress it down to a simply daily piece.

That''s just my $20...

Good luck with your search!

ER_Doc_Mike

Rough_Rock
Date: 11/15/2007 4:28:17 PM
Author: Nicrez

As a matter of fact I just got back from the Diamond District and saw a pair I covet. They are pear shaped sapphires surrounded by an eloganted 5 sided surrounded in baguettes (which I generally do not like). The tops of the earrings are delicate pave, and they are just divine. I think repro for sure, but I adore them. I didn''t go in, I just saw them in a window, but I loved the design.
Which store was this, please?

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

I also like the idea of versitility when it comes to jewellery, especially earrings. My vote would be for either a drop on a small diamond huggie--so that the huggie could be worn alone; or a pair of studs coupled with Leon's magnificent diamond pave earring/jackets so that the sapphire stud could be worn alone.

Here is a picture of the diamond studs, but I am sure these could be made as jackets:

http://www.artofplatinum.com/4images/details.php?image_id=144

ETA: Here is a thread where a PS'er named Nocturnes shows diamond jackets made by Leon (scroll down mid first page...)

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/leon-mege-earrings.58933/

cheers--Sharon

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
Whoo Hoo, what a lucky lady your fiance is
36.gif

Linda

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
personally, i''d keep the earrings and necklace simple so that the e-ring is the star. complimentary but not competition for the ring itself. i''d also take a long hard look at what she wears now for an idea of style. the trip back to leon is great. he''ll be able to suggest a nice look that coordinates but doesn''t necessarily look like a set. while she will wear the e-ring 24/7, i''m betting she''ll want the versatility of a simple setting for earrings and necklace, something she can wear 24/7 if she wishes but doesn''t look like a night out on the town if you know what i mean.....i can see huggies but not a drop. those martini earrings that sharon posted have possibilities but i really think there is such a thing as too much halo........ so perhaps convertibles would be a good idea.

movie zombie

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love Leon''s French Wire earrings with drops.

I''m going against what everyone else here is suggesting and recommending a fancier earring and pendant for special occasions (like your WEDDING). Just my personal preference.

I personally would do something like this:

http://www.artofplatinum.com/4images/details.php?image_id=154 These would look amazing with sapphires in the center, but with sapphire centers, and maybe smaller center stones. This look for the pendant: http://www.artofplatinum.com/4images/details.php?image_id=200

http://www.artofplatinum.com/4images/details.php?image_id=283 Just like these would be lovely if you love rounds. Or with a smaller round for the first drop, and a pear for the second.

Or simpler than those: http://www.artofplatinum.com/4images/details.php?image_id=283 but with a sapphire round or pear.

AND my ULTIMATE FAVORITE set-- dressier than the above.

This earring and pendant set.. but instead of yellow and white diamonds... white diamonds and sapphires. SWOON!
http://www.artofplatinum.com/4images/details.php?image_id=160
http://www.artofplatinum.com/4images/details.php?image_id=197

crown1

Brilliant_Rock
hi! not knowing the style of the ring makes it a little difficult to figure what may compliment it. also not knowing the lady''s style is a bit of a handicap. so, i will just tell you what i would look for.

i agree with another poster who suggested something suitable for everyday wear. i would go that way since simple is good dressed up or down. my suggestion would be a cushion cut earring in a size very close to the e-ring stone. i have a cushion cut blue topaz pair of earrings set in four prong baskets. i have an old jewelers tool which gives carat and mm size comparisons and my earrings are near 4 carat or near 11mm size. i think a pendant of the same style would be nice. these were bought ready made but i do get tons of compliments on them and they are very comfortable.

the other suggestions you have received are lovely but i personally would not wear them often as they are too dressy for my daily lifestyle. i look forward to seeing the entire trio. best of luck to you and the lucky love of your life.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I still love these...they are very much like some Katie Holmes wears a lot..very classic and would likely go well with the ring:

http://www.artofplatinum.com/4images/details.php?image_id=146

I adore the pear shaped pendant Gypsy posted! I would keep the stone shapes to one or two. So if the e-ring stone is round and the earring stones are round, I think you can go with a pear shaped sapphire for the pendant. But I wouldn''t go with three different shapes, personally.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
i don''t care for the drops at all.......

but maybe doc saved enough on the e-ring he can afford to get an everyday wear set of earrings and the drops for evening wear!

movie zombie

Nicrez

Ideal_Rock
Yafa Jewlery on 47th. But if you want to match these won''t. Stand alone they are excellent. But if you watch a matched set, I don''t think it would help. Go see them anyway. They are in the window closest to the door when you enter. Bottom shelf I think.

Symphony

Rough_Rock
Date: 10/31/2007 7:56:03 PM
Author: Ninama
...and this Tiffany ring from 1910:

Sapphire approx. 4 cts, dias approx. 2.8 cts

Ninama do you have anymore pictures of this incredible ring?
30.gif
Which website did you find it on?
Thanks
S

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results