color
clarity

Colored Diamond Thread

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/15/2010 10:52:54 AM
Author: RockHugger
I love the shape of that diamond!!!
Thanks RH, it has gorgeous crystal too :) I am planning a pendant for it.

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
LD-you have a fabulous collection!!!

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
TL-keep the pictures coming!!! You have some great rings and stones :) You too PR!

platinumrock

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for the kind words, SCN! But where's the rest of your collection, especially the deep greenish yellow diamond with fluoro?

Here's Olive, Sunny, Korbel and Ms. N all set.

lynhs444.JPG

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/19/2010 6:48:04 PM
Author: platinumrock
Thanks for the kind words, SCN! But where''s the rest of your collection, especially the deep greenish yellow diamond with fluoro?

Here''s Olive, Sunny, Korbel and Ms. N all set.
PR-all so lovely, how do you choose which one to wear?

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
Here is another one from my collection-1.25ctw OMC pin

blue old miner diamond pin 1b.jpg

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
At some point I need to have the center stone removed and sent into the GIA. It is a lovely medium light greenish blue color-think aquamarinish.

blue old miner diamond pin2b.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
SCN,
How large is the center blue/green diamond? Even if it''s small, if it is natural in color, it''s very very valuable. If you suspect it being natural, I would send it to the GIA asap. Depending on the size, it could be luxury car valuable, or house valuable. If larger than a carat, well. . .
6.gif
valuable.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
SCN that''s eye wateringly gorgeous! Lucky you to have such a wonderful piece. I do hope you send it to the GIA - you really need to get that properly insured if it''s natural.

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/21/2010 11:51:23 AM
Author: tourmaline_lover
SCN,

How large is the center blue/green diamond? Even if it''s small, if it is natural in color, it''s very very valuable. If you suspect it being natural, I would send it to the GIA asap. Depending on the size, it could be luxury car valuable, or house valuable. If larger than a carat, well. . .
6.gif
valuable.
The center diamond is only estimated to be around 1/3ct, it is cut like a boulder. It is not close to the color of any irradiated blue diamond I have ever seen. That is why I purchased it. Every jeweler I''ve taken it too can''t believe it is even a diamond and sits and tests and retests it. I really need to find someone I trust enough to remove the stone to send to the GIA, since we moved that has been a tall order! Everyone I have visited so far scares me a little. It is on my to do list though :)

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/21/2010 11:54:47 AM
Author: LovingDiamonds
SCN that's eye wateringly gorgeous! Lucky you to have such a wonderful piece. I do hope you send it to the GIA - you really need to get that properly insured if it's natural.
Thanks LD-it is really a piece to be seen in person, the pics don't even do it a little justice. I really do need to send it off to the GIA, I have been having issues with getting it insured for enough to send it off. Any suggestions?

dzop

Shiny_Rock
[pet peeve rant]

You know what I hate? People using the term "champagne" diamonds. Why? Because its pure Argyle marketing B.S.

Either most people haven't had champagne in a while or they're just suckers for a sexy sounding name. Champagne is yellow. Occasionally pink, if a rose. Sometimes a lighter yellow, sometimes more of a golden color in an aged champagne. But always yellow. If champagne has brown in it, it's spoiled- oxidized.

And yet, somehow, tan or light brown diamonds, often with hints of pink, became "Champagne Diamonds"? They don't look like the color of champagne, they sure as hell (and sadly) don't taste like champagne, they ain't fizzy.....so what gives? Is it just because champagne is expensive and classy and so using the word "champagne" makes brown diamonds sound expensive and classy? Because lord knows, the Argyle folks have done a bang up job of monetizing their previously unsellable browns.

If I was king for a day, I would take all the B.S. marketing names with no descriptive value: "Champange Diamonds" "Mocha Diamonds", "Chocolate Diamonds"! and change them to:

Light Brown
Brown
Dark Brown

like every other color in the [bleep]in' diamond world. Actually, just to get my vengence on the idiots who perpetrated the "champagne diamond" ridiculousness on the world, I would decree that they should be known as

Poop-if-you-ate-lots-of-fat-yesterday Diamonds
Normal-poop Diamonds
Constipated-Poop Diamonds

I should note that these names have a heck of a lot more connection to the actual color of brown diamonds than a word like "champagne".

[/ pet peeve rant]

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/21/2010 1:56:36 PM
Author: dzop
[pet peeve rant]

You know what I hate? People using the term 'champagne' diamonds. Why? Because its pure Argyle marketing B.S.

Either most people haven't had champagne in a while or they're just suckers for a sexy sounding name. Champagne is yellow. Occasionally pink, if a rose. Sometimes a lighter yellow, sometimes more of a golden color in an aged champagne. But always yellow. If champagne has brown in it, it's spoiled- oxidized.

And yet, somehow, tan or light brown diamonds, often with hints of pink, became 'Champagne Diamonds'? They don't look like the color of champagne, they sure as hell (and sadly) don't taste like champagne, they ain't fizzy.....so what gives? Is it just because champagne is expensive and classy and so using the word 'champagne' makes brown diamonds sound expensive and classy? Because lord knows, the Argyle folks have done a bang up job of monetizing their previously unsellable browns.

If I was king for a day, I would take all the B.S. marketing names with no descriptive value: 'Champange Diamonds' 'Mocha Diamonds', 'Chocolate Diamonds'! and change them to:

Light Brown

Brown

Dark Brown

like every other color in the [bleep]in' diamond world. Actually, just to get my vengence on the idiots who perpetrated the 'champagne diamond' ridiculousness on the world, I would decree that they should be known as

Normal-poop Diamonds

I should note that these names have a heck of a lot more connection to the actual color of brown diamonds than a word like 'champagne'.

[/ pet peeve rant]

Tell us how you really feel! LOL!!!
Poop talk
20.gif

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
PR - Sunny is to die for. I know I''ve said it before but it deserves saying again. I adore the colour, the cut, the setting - everything!

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
TL - where are your lilac diamonds?

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
One more pic for today, I really need a better pic of these, but they are super sparklie little guys :) They are my SUNA Bros. earrings with 3mm FIP RB set in a dbl bezel of 18kt RG and Plat.

suna bros pink earrings1.JPG

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/21/2010 2:37:25 PM
TL - where are your lilac diamonds?
In the box shot on the first page of this thread. It''s the round in the lower right hand corner. The problem is that it looks very grey in the photo. I can''t capture the pink/lilac that I see IRL very well.
8.gif
It was easier to capture with my old crappy camera for some strange reason
33.gif

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dzop,
I understand, this color descriptor is definitely used to market diamonds that were once very undesirable. There was a time when people wouldn't look at a brown diamond, and the voila, champange, and it's marvelous. I also never saw the correlation between champagne and the color brown. Chocolate, yes. LOL!

I actaully like brown diamonds (if you will) and it's the only brown stone I would consider having and do own. The really nice ones remind me of the color of a myriad of different autumn leaves with the beautiful dispersion that diamond has, and I find that quite attractive. I think they're also an affordable and lovely option and I do love them in rose gold, especially if they have a touch of pink in them. Some brown diamonds have pink in them, and this is an another affordable way to have a pinkish cast to a diamond, as we all know, fancy pinks are rather expensive.

However, the whole marketing name thing is another huge issue, and much bigger than this thread can convey. I also have problems with "pidgeon blood," "imperial," "silver," "titanium," etc. . . We need to open a new thread I think.
2.gif

dzop

Shiny_Rock
I think there are some very nice brown diamonds, especially the pinkish brown ones. I think brown diamonds are MUCH nicer than brown colored stones.

I just find the use of the word champagne funny- as you noted, diamonds are not the only stone which are made more attractive with branding (e.g., padparadscha in lieu of orange-pink), but here you actually had a marketing firm in the recent past brainstorming a way to make brown diamonds attractive, concocting this ridiculous name, and people bought it hook-line-and sinker, even relatively sophisticated consumers like the ones in this thread. It just makes you want to laugh at the ridiculousness of it.

Date: 4/21/2010 3:06:49 PM
Author: tourmaline_lover
Dzop,

I understand, this color descriptor is definitely used to market diamonds that were once very undesirable. There was a time when people wouldn''t look at a brown diamond, and the voila, champange, and it''s marvelous. I also never saw the correlation between champagne and the color brown. Chocolate, yes. LOL!

I actaully like brown diamonds (if you will) and it''s the only brown stone I would consider having and do own. The really nice ones remind me of the color of a myriad of different autumn leaves with the beautiful dispersion that diamond has, and I find that quite attractive. I think they''re also an affordable and lovely option and I do love them in rose gold, especially if they have a touch of pink in them. Some brown diamonds have pink in them, and this is an another affordable way to have a pinkish cast to a diamond, as we all know, fancy pinks are rather expensive.

However, the whole marketing name thing is another huge issue, and much bigger than this thread can convey. I also have problems with ''pidgeon blood,'' ''imperial,'' ''silver,'' ''titanium,'' etc. . . We need to open a new thread I think.
2.gif

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/21/2010 3:30:21 PM
I think there are some very nice brown diamonds, especially the pinkish brown ones. I think brown diamonds are MUCH nicer than brown colored stones.

I just find the use of the word champagne funny- as you noted, diamonds are not the only stone which are made more attractive with branding (e.g., padparadscha in lieu of orange-pink), but here you actually had a marketing firm in the recent past brainstorming a way to make brown diamonds attractive, concocting this ridiculous name, and people bought it hook-line-and sinker, even relatively sophisticated consumers like the ones in this thread. It just makes you want to laugh at the ridiculousness of it.
I don''t disagree but I look at this differently. Even though a champagne coloured diamond is nowhere near the colour of champagne, most people know what you mean when you say it. It denotes a tone rather than a colour for me i.e. champagne = light brown, chocolate = deep brown, cognac = orangey brown. I don''t know what a mid brown could be called though!

The case of "Padparadscha" is a whole different ball game because that''s now a misused marketing name (and can denote a worth that isn''t represented by the gem itself) so can be incredibly misleading. I''m not sure that champagne, cognac etc., do the same thing as they''re descriptors.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
SCN - may I make a request please? Please will you post a piccie of your stunning yellow radiant with baguettes? The design of that ring is one that I just simply adore. It''s one of my all time favourites and I''m in the process of having my Mahenge Spinel set in a very similar manner.

platinumrock

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/21/2010 10:34:38 AM
Author: stepcutnut

Thanks for the kind words, SCN! But where's the rest of your collection, especially the deep greenish yellow diamond with fluoro?

Here's Olive, Sunny, Korbel and Ms. N all set.
Thank you, SCN! Honestly, it depends on my mood. If I feel champagne, I wear champagne. If I feel yellow, I wear yellow. My clothes and shoes are over three years old, but at least I can swap out my rings.
9.gif

By the way, your 1.25 blue-green OMC is amazing! Please have it looked at by GIA. That sucker can be worth 6 figures!
23.gif
Are you going to reset it?

platinumrock

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/21/2010 2:37:00 PM
PR - Sunny is to die for. I know I''ve said it before but it deserves saying again. I adore the colour, the cut, the setting - everything!
Thank you so much, LD! Your chameleon is amazing! I''d love to have something like that one day. Does it also have phospho?

platinumrock

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/21/2010 1:56:36 PM
[pet peeve rant]

You know what I hate? People using the term ''champagne'' diamonds. Why? Because its pure Argyle marketing B.S.

Either most people haven''t had champagne in a while or they''re just suckers for a sexy sounding name. Champagne is yellow. Occasionally pink, if a rose. Sometimes a lighter yellow, sometimes more of a golden color in an aged champagne. But always yellow. If champagne has brown in it, it''s spoiled- oxidized.

And yet, somehow, tan or light brown diamonds, often with hints of pink, became ''Champagne Diamonds''? They don''t look like the color of champagne, they sure as hell (and sadly) don''t taste like champagne, they ain''t fizzy.....so what gives? Is it just because champagne is expensive and classy and so using the word ''champagne'' makes brown diamonds sound expensive and classy? Because lord knows, the Argyle folks have done a bang up job of monetizing their previously unsellable browns.

If I was king for a day, I would take all the B.S. marketing names with no descriptive value: ''Champange Diamonds'' ''Mocha Diamonds'', ''Chocolate Diamonds''! and change them to:

Light Brown
Brown
Dark Brown

like every other color in the [bleep]in'' diamond world. Actually, just to get my vengence on the idiots who perpetrated the ''champagne diamond'' ridiculousness on the world, I would decree that they should be known as

Normal-poop Diamonds

I should note that these names have a heck of a lot more connection to the actual color of brown diamonds than a word like ''champagne''.

[/ pet peeve rant]
I understand where you''re coming from with the marketing ploy to sell undesirable colors, but POOP??? Ew!
14.gif

I''ll stick with my champagne, mocha and chocolates thank you very much. At least they sound appetizing.
3.gif

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/22/2010 5:19:32 PM
SCN - may I make a request please? Please will you post a piccie of your stunning yellow radiant with baguettes? The design of that ring is one that I just simply adore. It''s one of my all time favourites and I''m in the process of having my Mahenge Spinel set in a very similar manner.
Thanks LD-I love it too!!! I will see what pics I can come up with from this computer, I really don''t know which ones are on here. Which Mahenge are you setting-sorry I forgot!

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/22/2010 5:44:49 PM
Date: 4/21/2010 10:34:38 AM

Author: stepcutnut

Thanks for the kind words, SCN! But where''s the rest of your collection, especially the deep greenish yellow diamond with fluoro?

Here''s Olive, Sunny, Korbel and Ms. N all set.

Thank you, SCN! Honestly, it depends on my mood. If I feel champagne, I wear champagne. If I feel yellow, I wear yellow. My clothes and shoes are over three years old, but at least I can swap out my rings.
9.gif

By the way, your 1.25 blue-green OMC is amazing! Please have it looked at by GIA. That sucker can be worth 6 figures!
23.gif
Are you going to reset it?
I agree, it all depends on my mood too :)

I have really fallen in love with the pin, when I originally purchased it, I was thinking of a reset into a ring-so I could look at it as I wore it, but now I love it the way it is!!! When it gets removed from the setting I will let you know what the GIA says.

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
Here you go LD, these are all I could find right now :)

A fingerfull of DBL2a.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results