shape
carat
color
clarity

Yssie's reset thread!

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congrats, Yssie!! VC will create the most beautiful 5-stone ring for you. I'm sure. Soooooo excited, yay!! :appl:

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I can't wait to see the final product. I think we're all going to be in awe.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congratulations Yssie!! I know it is going to be spectacular and I am very very excited for you!!! :appl: :appl: :appl:

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Haven - hehe I actually really liked the idea at first - I still think it could be really pretty, done properly in the hands of someone who knows what they're doing. It's just too busy for *me*.

Victor wrote back to say it's actually very "classic" in the proper sense of the word - popular in the 1900s ::) but it's just not what I'm looking for in this piece.

I also have other practical concerns with that sort of design -
A) If there are three wires soldered together pyramid-style there's a space between those three wires, on the inside. The plan was to have two thick wires at the bottom and one very thin one on the outside that came up just far enough to form the end-prongs on the last pair of sidestones - but where it curves upward that empty space between the three wires will be exposed, so that'd have to be filled in or metal poured in or something, so that dirt doesn't get inside and sit there for ten years - such a space would be impossible to get fully clean.
B) If there are two thicker wires on the bottom, they'd be flattened out on the inside a little bit. But then that would leave a slight empty space, the space between the two rounded wires, that would collect water and grease and lotion and... that'd be impossible to keep clean too, it's already hard enough to dry under one's ring without taking it off, that space would make it impossible. So that space would definitely have to be filled in, so the underside is a smooth, flat plane..

I'm thinking of having him make me a trellis-ey/braided wedding band though, to keep with the wire look...

Thanks Phoenix!! I'm looking forward to - well, honestly, I'm looking forward to getting everything sorted and putting it on the work order and sending my deposit or whatever, so this gets going *for real*!

Thank you Gypsy and missy :))

pwendyp found the original source of that gorgeous solitaire inspiration pic I posted in the OP - http://www.jewelleryservices.com/image_gallery.asp :appl:

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
It's so fun getting to follow along w/your process Yssie!

You're going w/unplated wg, so you must still be in love w/it? I'm planning on it for my next project...I didn't realize there were different colors of it tho..is there something I should specifically ask for/about? Is there a difference between 14 and 18k unplated?

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
packrat|1318102034|3036093 said:
It's so fun getting to follow along w/your process Yssie!

You're going w/unplated wg, so you must still be in love w/it? I'm planning on it for my next project...I didn't realize there were different colors of it tho..is there something I should specifically ask for/about? Is there a difference between 14 and 18k unplated?

Thanks packy, I am! I just love the creamy colour :love:

I found out about the colour issue when I was wedding band shopping last year. Even with specifying karat and that it should be a nickel alloy, there can be (clearly visibly) different tints depending on vendor, manufacturer, secondary alloys... so I do think that if you introduce another karat and allow for different amounts of alloy you'll get an even bigger range of colours! My first wedding band - a stock piece from e-wb (18k Ni-wg) - was visibly lighter than my (18k Ni-wg) custom ring from WF. I went back to e-wb and asked them to match the WF colour, and they found a different manufacturer that used a different mix (still 18k Ni-wg) for their custom pieces that matched perfectly :sun: Old 4collage, new on the bottom

file.jpg J-RingAltered-10.png

VC has the added issue of needing to minimize the difference between gold colour and solder colour, so the specific Ni alloy mix I wind up with will definitely have to take that into account. I don't know if that means it'll be paler or more yellow than my WF ring - the WF could pass for 10k yg, it's really a pale yellow...

If you want a very specific colour (lighter, more yellow) or to match another piece I would definitely recommend sending it out, or having the vendor send you a sample or two to compare. I knew that technically there could be differences but I didn't think they'd be *visible* - but they really can be!

ETA: this pic probably shows the colour difference best -
A - plat (950/ru)
B - unplated 18k nickel wg from e-wb, custom piece
C - unplated 18k nickel wg from e-wb, stock piece
D - plated 18k wg from WF
E - 22k

Metals1.png

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Man I just love the color of it! Thanks for the pics Yssie! I'm thinking maybe when I have the vendor make the setting, I'll see about having them do a wedding band too so it will match..I want to have some engraving on the wband so that would be a good time to ask if they can do it.

Do people ever look at it quizzically and ask what kind of metal it is?

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have people in jewellery stores ask me all the time! I guess everyone else just kinda assumes it's all fake anyway 8) I was so excited when one of the reps at a local store recognized the very pale yellow!

Yeah - I'm thinking of having VC make me a band with the same batch of whatever alloy. Hunting for one after the fact can be a PITA!

Are you doing a reset or a new set? Do you have a thread on it? I don't remember one and I can't find any posts - but my searching skills stink...

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
It wasn't until I came here that I learned that wg is typically plated. I'd definitely have to ask if I'd seen your ring before!

I've not started a thread yet here..I've been blathering on and on about it on FB tho..I'm getting some AVC's from Jonathan for a whole new engagement ring and got an awesome quote already from Hunt Country...'course..now I just need to get some diamonds!!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
packrat|1318106904|3036134 said:
It wasn't until I came here that I learned that wg is typically plated. I'd definitely have to ask if I'd seen your ring before!

I've not started a thread yet here..I've been blathering on and on about it on FB tho..I'm getting some AVC's from Jonathan for a whole new engagement ring and got an awesome quote already from Hunt Country...'course..now I just need to get some diamonds!!

Haha me too ::)

Awesome!! Hunt Country's prongs are AMAZING - I'm looking forward to your thread!

MissStepcut

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Yssie I don't recall if I've asked you this before, but are B and C really both 18k? One looks significantly whiter than the other.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
MissStepcut|1318109212|3036158 said:
Yssie I don't recall if I've asked you this before, but are B and C really both 18k? One looks significantly whiter than the other.

Yes, they are, absolutely and definitively (checked by appraisal, and both from very reputable vendors originally). They are both 18k nickel alloy wg, presumably different secondary alloys.

It's quite amazing, isn't it?

Edit - B is the same band that's in the collage of 4, the plain one, it's a lot whiter than my Ering. C is the band in the bigger Ering pic - it's from the same vendor as B, actually, but different original manufacturer.

MissStepcut

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Boy, that does nothing to calm my worries about deciding to have my e-ring done in 14k WG at Brian Gavin. I'll pics next to other metal colors when I finally get it, though.

Sorry for the threadjack!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It wasn't a threadjack - and I wouldn't have minded if it was ::)

Are you having BGD leave yours unplated? I'm definitely interested in hearing what you think about the colour when you get it - please do post lots of pics! It's really fascinating. I had BGD make 14k Ni-wg (left unplated) bezels for my antique cushions, even though there's not that much metal I can clearly see they are much lighter than my 18k WF Ering. About the same colour as the e-wb stock 18k ring, actually...

MissStepcut

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I would be thrilled with that color. Yes, we are going unplated 14k Ni. We just finally got the stone appraised on Friday, and once we get insured it shouldn't be too much longer... If he lets me see it.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Fingers and toes are crossed for generosity (even timely carelessness would do the trick :devil: )...

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yssie, I thought I posted in this thread but when I came to read the latest posts, I realized I hadn't. Huh.

I missed your reasons for the reset but I can't wait to see the finished ring. It will be GORGEOUS. You share my love for swoopy prongs in trellis settings. Aren't they purrttttyyyy? :bigsmile:

Cachette

Brilliant_Rock
Looking forward to seeing it all done Yssie! If it`s anything like your last project (current ring) it will be beyond beautiful!

Cachette :))

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you Zoe & Cachette! Work order is being written up ::)

Zoe - I do adore these trellises, too :love:

Check out the photoshop Skilz. :bigsmile:

JRFINAL.png

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
That looks really nice Yssie! I wish I knew how to do that!

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Very nice!

rosetta

Ideal_Rock
Awww.... I'll miss having you for a ring twin yssie. I'm definitely keeping trellis as it is (whilst secretly hunting for a larger OMB or OEC for my next project but don't tell my husband! :Up_to_something: )

Five stones are not my thing, unless its with an asscher centre, but I'm sure looking forward to seeing your new ring! :appl:

VC will do an awesome job I'm sure!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Packy, Zoe - oops! That's VC's pic, not mine - from Adobe Illustrator apparently. It's neat - apparently it's to proportion wrt stone/finger size and metal thickness... all I did was paint in some outlines and email it back to him :bigsmile:

Rosetta - I'll still have mine! We're still twins! I want to get some garnets for it - time to resume lurking on CS ::)

Ooh, really? Are you actively searching?

rosetta

Ideal_Rock
Yssie|1318183993|3036574 said:
Packy, Zoe - oops! That's VC's pic, not mine - from Adobe Illustrator apparently. It's neat - apparently it's to proportion wrt stone/finger size and metal thickness... all I did was paint in some outlines and email it back to him :bigsmile:

Rosetta - I'll still have mine! We're still twins! I want to get some garnets for it - time to resume lurking on CS ::)

Yay! :appl:

I'll look for your post on CS in due course! :))

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
Great dEsign. I can't wait to see it come to life!

slg47

Ideal_Rock
rosetta|1318186182|3036603 said:

sorry to threadjack but rosetta did you see this?
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/forum/preloved-ps-jewels/stunning-old-european-diamond-for-sale-t166919.html']https://www.pricescope.com/forum/preloved-ps-jewels/stunning-old-european-diamond-for-sale-t166919.html[/URL]
http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/8716

ETA yssie do you have any updates?

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
slg47|1318469801|3038979 said:
rosetta|1318186182|3036603 said:

sorry to threadjack but rosetta did you see this?
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/forum/preloved-ps-jewels/stunning-old-european-diamond-for-sale-t166919.html']https://www.pricescope.com/forum/preloved-ps-jewels/stunning-old-european-diamond-for-sale-t166919.html[/URL]
http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/8716

ETA yssie do you have any updates?

Whoa. OMG. That is GORGEOUS :love: Rosetta!! You know you want to... :Up_to_something:

Package mailed, deposit sent. We are officially getting started.

I wonder how long it'll take? I suppose I should (remember to) ask him at some point. I've been assuming it'll be a couple of months... but if he routinely finishes rings in four days maybe his idea of *long* is - y'know - two weeks or something...

Thanks Amy!

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
This is so exciting!!!! :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl:

JuneRose

Brilliant_Rock
I CANNOT WAIT to see this ring :love:

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well... there's been a bit of a hiccup. Apparently the sidestones absolutely must have crossbars, and there is a chance the centre does as well ;(

A mix of quoting and paraphrasing VC: the crossbars on the sides won't actually be cross "bars". They'll be little rings that fully encircle each stone, not little bits of wire just soldered to the outside of the trellis structure. Apparently they're necessary for structure - to keep the whole trellis sturdy side to side and front/back.

Well - okay. If crossrings are needed on the sides to keep my ring in one piece I can live with it, and still love the design. I've of course requested that they be as dainty and unobtrusive as possible, and the fact that they'll be actual little rings, full cirlces, not facades and formless structs on the interior makes me feel better because those interior parts are visible at oblique angles. But oh, I hope he can figure something out for that lovely open centre!!!!

I'll know more Monday. I think perhaps he did not expect me to react so strongly to crossbars :rodent:

Thanks June and Haven! Fingers crossed for an open centre that doesn't compromise strength!!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results