shape
carat
color
clarity

Yssie's reset thread!

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
My understanding is that they hand carve the wax, then cast it, and hand finish it:
http://huntcountry.com/HCJ/HCJWaxCarving.jsp

HCJ is very responsive to emails, and I am sure they would be happy to explain their process to you. I've never worked with them, but got a quote for a project. I contacted them because of their prongs :)

Yssie, can you post a picture of all your past rings here? I am really curious to see how your tastes have evolved.

Bliss

Ideal_Rock
Kelpie....you just made me faint! I now have a bruise on my forehead from fainting dead away and faceplanting into my keyboard. :mrgreen: GORGEOUS!

Yssieeeeeee!!!! I am SO excited about your reset! This is going to be The Best E-Ring Ever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I totally understand the reason behind the reset and think it's romantic how your DH is so sentimental about it! Awwwwwwww...this is going to be spectacular, I just KNOW it! And if you ever get bored of that old setting...Yooooohooooooooo!!! :naughty:

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
MGR - definitely no wondering if, I agree! It's been great meeting new vendors, too. It really adds dimensions of specialization, and highlights the fact that some vendors and some methods of manufacture really just are better for some purposes and others for others. It's already been an enlightening experience, and I've barely got started!

Thanks Bliss ::) I'm really enjoying having him so involved in everything. It's a completely new experience, and I like it so much better than when he doesn't care, even if we don't always agree ;))

pregcurious - their prongs are spectacular, aren't they? Apparently Ed is quite nutty about his prongs 8)

Sure - here's the short version: First ring - lasted about five days, you can see why. Went to WF. Second ring - much better quality. Plans to get wedding jewellery set fell through, decided the ring was the most important thing, and decided to try custom design. Third ring - first iteration of the Butterflies design. Fourth ring - final iteration of the Butteflies design, gold instead of plat, small alterations to stone height/size/configuration.

1_31.jpg 3_21.jpg 2_27.jpg 4_0.png

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So good to see all of those pics together - you really did fine tune that ring into perfection!

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Thanks, Yssie. I love the last trellis.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Cheers MGR, preg!

Quick update - still waiting to hear back from Green Lake and Hunt Country. I talked to Burdeen's this afternoon, and the quote for a CAD/cast piece was quite a bit more than WF's. I'm waiting for a quote for a handmade ring like Haven's, hopefully tomorrow!

I just emailed Victor again, too, about adapting the design to fit out budget while keeping the overall look and feel. I have to say I understand why PSers enjoy working with him - he is SO quick to respond when I reach out! I'm very interested to see what he comes back with...

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
I've been eagerly awaiting an update! :appl:

I'm so excited to see what you decide, Yssie. Fingers crossed that once you collect all of the information you will have an easy decision to make, and shortly after that, your perfect ring!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I hope so!! I can't wait to get moving on the next stage of all of this - somehow I don't think we'll be there before the end of the week though. Victor wants a couple of days (well, fair enough I suppose, I only reached out again today ::) ), I don't know when GLJ and HC will get back to me, by that time I believe the WF quote will have expired so I'd likely have to resubmit...

I lean toward a different vendor every few hours, round-robin style. It's pretty funny. I think my darling DH may be starting to tire ;)) he's at the point where he has ceased to listen when I talk about how Vendor A charges 1k more than Vendor B but has prettier prongs, or Vendor C has a better track record but Vendor D's portfolio looks more creative... So I have in turn ceased to bother him for his opinion every few minutes on other matters, like which parts of the design are *really important*. Which is interestingly ineffective, as he still provides it anyway 8)

Christina...

Ideal_Rock
Yssie!!! I'm so happy that you are doing this for yourself and I'm so very excited for you! :appl: Reading through the thread, I can see why choosing a vendor is sooo difficult! I'm having a tiny anxiety attack for you! :errrr: You express yourself very well though, I'm sure that it will be better than you imagine! I wish I was ready for a project, I know just who I would go to for help! Your tastes are impeccable!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you Christina!

I'm really glad I branched out and reached out to some other vendors - there are definitely a lot of talented artisans out there! If only I had enough projects to do one with each of them...

At the end of the day I'm confident that any of those vendors could produce a beautiful piece, and very luck to have the opportunity to match and fine tune ::) Fingers crossed for more info tomorrow!

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yssie|1317687714|3032500 said:
I hope so!! I can't wait to get moving on the next stage of all of this - somehow I don't think we'll be there before the end of the week though. Victor wants a couple of days (well, fair enough I suppose, I only reached out again today ::) ), I don't know when GLJ and HC will get back to me, by that time I believe the WF quote will have expired so I'd likely have to resubmit...

I lean toward a different vendor every few hours, round-robin style. It's pretty funny. I think my darling DH may be starting to tire ;)) he's at the point where he has ceased to listen when I talk about how Vendor A charges 1k more than Vendor B but has prettier prongs, or Vendor C has a better track record but Vendor D's portfolio looks more creative... So I have in turn ceased to bother him for his opinion every few minutes on other matters, like which parts of the design are *really important*. Which is interestingly ineffective, as he still provides it anyway 8)
You have me laughing out loud here, Yssie.
Oh, I remember the agony I went through when I was trying to decide whether I wanted to trade in my original stone for my current stone, so I feel for you, dear. I am not, however, very much into details, so I was spared the agony when it came time to figure out the setting. Sometimes I think I'm just plain lucky I ended up with a great ring. :cheeky:

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can't wait for all of these proposals to come together so you can have enough details to make a decision! So excited for you but I can only imagine how much angst this causes!

Good things come to those that wait. . . who said that anyway?! What did they know - ha!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
MGR - seriously! What rot. ;( :bigsmile:

Haven - angst all round, isn't it? You definitely made the right decision - you clearly adore your ring ::) But.. you had no way of knowing how much you'd love it at the time, I suppose!

I reckon I'll be asking for your help when I hear back from VC :sun:

m-2-b

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Good luck w/ your search for the right vendor! I'm sure whatever you come up with will inspire others no matter what!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gosh, sorry I didn't respond earlier mom2boys - I don't know how I missed it! Thank you, and I do have some vendor updates, finally!

1. Burdeen's has declined to work with me on this project, citing distance and that I am apparently a perfectionist :halo: well, true enough! And I appreciate that they were honest enough to tell me so up-front, before a project got underway. Their quote for CAD/CAST was about half again WF's, but I was more interested in what they had to say about hand-making it like Haven's.

2. I still haven't heard from Hunt Country. I'm disappointed - Claire was very nice to talk to, and seemed to fully understand what I was looking for in terms of style and quality. But, at the end of the day, I called last Friday and have not heard back, and the extended time without communication makes me nervous to begin a project this important with them.

3. Green Lake got back to me with a first sketch that pretty much represents exactly what I want. Their quote was just a bit higher than WF's for CAD/CAST. Given that, and the fact that I have had good experiences with WF, I lean toward WF. They have however been on the ball with communications, so though I am unlikely to continue this project with them as of now I would certainly consider them for a future project, pending a conversation about my needs and expectations as per LGK's concerns.

I won't post the GL sketch as I am wondering if it becomes their property if I do decide not to go ahead with them...

4. WF has, as always, met all my expectations so far. They get back to me when they say they will get back to me, the quote, as I noted in a previous post, was right about what I expected, and my rep Sheerah has offered her assistance throughout.

5. I have been in contact again with Victor Canera. His communication, like WF's, is excellent. He *will* respond when I email in a timely fashion, if he says he will get back to me I can expect to hear from him within the time he specifies. Note to jewellers: CALL people back when you say you will, that puts you head and shoulders above the rest right away! Seriously, that should not be especially laudable behaviour! He hand-forges, and his price is quite a bit higher than WF's for the same design - actually now that I think about it I'm not sure we ever determined if he was willing and able to do it within out budget. I suppose that's something I should get sorted sooner than later!

So, as it stands:

WF Pros:
-Cast. Can see the final design beforehand.
-Experience. Nothing but good over multiple projects. They know what to expect from me as a customer, what my specific needs are, and I know what to expect from them.
-Price. Let's call it X.
-Timeline. Likely to be shorter than w/ hand-forged, though timeline is not really a concern - I'm willing to wait to get the job done properly.
-They won't let me decide on anything stupid.
-Willing to work with me to get the design exactly right.

WF Cons:
-Cast. VC's finish will undoubtedly be superior, and a handmade piece would be stronger/more lasting.
-Cast. The final design of the CAD does NOT ever precisely represent the final, finished ring. We would have to do some finagling to ensure the wax from which the piece is cast incorporates the necessary changes such that the elements of the CAD that I really want are translated precisely into the final ring - and obviously if the CAD is changed to change the wax, it no longer pretends to closely represent the final product. I am not sure I could see past the exaggeration of such a CAD to visualize the final product. (Is that really such an odd thing to consider? When I talked to them neither Burdeens nor Hunt Country seemed to have ever seriously considered the differences between the wax and the product, let alone manipulated the wax to bring about certain different features in that product...)

Victor Canera Pros:
-Handforged. Strength and superior finish. Plus he clearly has an eye for the details of the finish - his prongs are the prettiest of anyone's I've ever seen on PS, period.
-Experience thus far. As stated above his communication is very good, which is especially reassuring as I've never worked with him before - I'm certain that he'll keep what I want in mind when he's creating the piece, and equally importantly, like WF I'm sure he won't let me specify things I oughtn't.
-I trust that he understands the Look and Feel of what I want.
-A really one of a kind piece. A one of a kind design manufactured in a one-of-a-kind way.
-"Handmade" was one of our (DH and my) original specifications all those years ago.

Victor Canera Cons:
-Price. Over 2x. Which, if he will do it, is obviously still in budget - but it's a whole lot more! The whole Trellis Design Doesn't Lend Itself To HandForging and Hand-Piecing-Together and nickel-alloy white gold things pretty much ensure that my piece will be one of a kind I think!
-Timeline. Since the beginning he has made clear that this will be a labour-intensive piece - which no doubt adds to the amount of time. Again, not a particularly pressing concern.
-I've never worked with him before. So far everything points to having a good experience, but impressions are not experiences.
-I don't know for sure yet if he's willing to make the piece at my budget!

So basically it boils down to whether or not DH and I want a handforged piece!

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
We're making progress!

Interesting that Burdeen's declined to work with you, Yssie. I definitely did not see that coming. Strange.

It sounds like you have two great options here, and now it's just a matter of what you want. As the owner of a hand forged piece, I wanted to share that I love that it is hand forged. My setting is a bit delicate, so the hand forging gave it some more strength. Beyond that, there's the intangible quality that makes it even more a work of art in my eyes, and that was worth the extra cost *to me*. Someone created this ring by hand from start to finish, how special is that? (I suppose this is the "mind clean" equivalent in a setting.)

Whatever you choose, you have two excellent vendors who sound capable and willing to create exactly the ring that you desire. I can't wait to hear more!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Haven|1317932911|3034805 said:
We're making progress!

Interesting that Burdeen's declined to work with you, Yssie. I definitely did not see that coming. Strange.

It sounds like you have two great options here, and now it's just a matter of what you want. As the owner of a hand forged piece, I wanted to share that I love that it is hand forged. My setting is a bit delicate, so the hand forging gave it some more strength. Beyond that, there's the intangible quality that makes it even more a work of art in my eyes, and that was worth the extra cost *to me*. Someone created this ring by hand from start to finish, how special is that? (I suppose this is the "mind clean" equivalent in a setting.)

Whatever you choose, you have two excellent vendors who sound capable and willing to create exactly the ring that you desire. I can't wait to hear more!

Haha I was a bit surprised too, but... better to find out now than later, definitely!

I like the idea of hand-forged. Victor has been very communicative. I like working with WF, and I like the reassurance of CAD. I like knowing that my piece will be one of a kind work of art. DH prefers Victor for the sentiment of having it handmade - details like prongs and finish are totally lost on him. I prefer Victor for those details, but I prefer WF's pricetag! That is, of course, assuming Victor will do it in budget.

Here we go 'round the mulberry bush...

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yssie--I would urge you to throw out the practical concern about money for a moment and consider:
Who is more likely to create the best possible version of your ring?
I'd choose them.

cookies

Brilliant_Rock
I think the Vatche Swan rings have the swoopiness you are looking for. Does Vatche do custom work?

kelpie

Ideal_Rock
Haven|1317935975|3034827 said:
Yssie--I would urge you to throw out the practical concern about money for a moment and consider:
I'd choose them.
This is a great point! Craftsmanship is clearly your first priority. Whiteflash is also a known factor, right?

BTW- Hunt Country is closed monday through wens so that could possibly have something to do with the silence.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
kelpie|1317939276|3034860 said:
Haven|1317935975|3034827 said:
I'd choose them.
This is a great point! Craftsmanship is clearly your first priority. Whiteflash is also a known factor, right?

BTW- Hunt Country is closed monday through wens so that could possibly have something to do with the silence.

Ugh. Way to complicate matters, Haven and Kelpie! I really *can't* throw out the price... but I'll talk more about that in a bit, I want to call Victor and find out if he is even an option.

Hunt Country called me this afternoon, literally just after I updated this thread - talk about bad timing :sick: Their quote was SUPER low. And they seem to do nice work as well.

Stumped.

Cookie - I did originally think about going that route (designer cast), but it's not something I'm interested in pursuing. If I'm going cast, I put my faith in WF.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, that's a tough decision Yssie! I almost feel like you cannot go wrong with either of these vendors though so it just comes down to what works best for you and your dh practically speaking as well as aesthetic wise of course. Don't worry- you will figure it out! I think your list of pros and cons is a great way to narrow it down. Now all you need to do is talk it through with your dh and you guys will make the best decision for you! Very excited for you!! :appl:

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you missy! You are so very correct :bigsmile:

Okay, update on the VC front: it's not what he usually does and it's not likely to be something he ever does again, even if someone offers him quite a bit more than I can afford, because it promises to be something of a PITA. But it's a neat design and fun to do, and good for the skills portfolio, and he'll probably do it.

I asked for a decision tomorrow and he has agreed.

So - still up in the air!

Haven, Kelpie - I am having a really difficult time separating out that price factor. In terms of pure aesthetics and indulgence... I Victor takes the edge, and the fact that DH feels strongly definitely makes a big impact on how I feel myself. BUT Victor's quote would be significantly over double WF's.

DH said "we have a budget of X. So stop worrying about it and let's get the best one we can". Best, for him, includes sticking to that original "handmade" requirement. I confess to being very intrigued by the idea of owning such a handmade piece...what luxury! BUT for the price, I could do my reset and have my mum's ring made, or do my reset and set my earrings, or - heck, splurge on our next vacation! And I feel really selfish about even seriously considering having Victor make it... and I am seriously considering it. DH has all but decided, his opinion is clear. Given that, if he agrees... I am pretty sure we would go with him. I think.

Thanks to everyone who has stuck out this thread ::) it's so nice to have people to share it with! And there will be a decision soon, I promise!

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
I understand your hesitation to spend over twice as much on this setting with VC when you could have WF create it, especially since you've worked with WF before and trust them.

That being said, there are some projects that warrant getting *the best*, (according to your own definition of "best" of course,) and I believe this is one of them. This is not just any ring. This is a ring you've tried to get right in various iterations, and this time you're determined to do just that. Sometimes, I think there's an intangible cost involved with settling for something just short of ideal, and I fear that this would be one of those times for you. Especially since your husband wants you to go with VC.

Of course, I don't really know what's going on and if you'd ever come to regret not going for the hand-forged ring should you choose to go with WF. It's just a hunch, so I'm sorry if sticking my nose in here is bothersome to you.

Whatever you decide, it's going to be amazing. I can tell. And I can't wait!!!!

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
And the field narrows. . . and the suspense builds. . . choices, choices. . .

As long as you and Victor come up with a mutually agreeable design, you will never regret paying for quality. It truly lasts a lifetime.

If the design is not mutually agreeable, then you have another plan to go with. One that is tried and true.

I'm loving the narrowing of the field. . . .

bright ice

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My two bits are: if there is any way for Victor to come close to your budget, he is the one. I would love to see what he comes up with. Good luck with your decision, it'll work out for you!

slg47

Ideal_Rock
Yssie said:
Thank you missy! You are so very correct :bigsmile:

Okay, update on the VC front: it's not what he usually does and it's not likely to be something he ever does again, even if someone offers him quite a bit more than I can afford, because it promises to be something of a PITA. But it's a neat design and fun to do, and good for the skills portfolio, and he'll probably do it.

I asked for a decision tomorrow and he has agreed.

So - still up in the air!

Haven, Kelpie - I am having a really difficult time separating out that price factor. In terms of pure aesthetics and indulgence... I Victor takes the edge, and the fact that DH feels strongly definitely makes a big impact on how I feel myself. BUT Victor's quote would be significantly over double WF's.

DH said "we have a budget of X. So stop worrying about it and let's get the best one we can". Best, for him, includes sticking to that original "handmade" requirement. I confess to being very intrigued by the idea of owning such a handmade piece...what luxury! BUT for the price, I could do my reset and have my mum's ring made, or do my reset and set my earrings, or - heck, splurge on our next vacation! And I feel really selfish about even seriously considering having Victor make it... and I am seriously considering it. DH has all but decided, his opinion is clear. Given that, if he agrees... I am pretty sure we would go with him. I think.

Thanks to everyone who has stuck out this thread ::) it's so nice to have people to share it with! And there will be a decision soon, I promise!

well of course we are sticking it out...I mean I know I'm not getting a new ring so I have to live through you guys :razz:

I am curious as to why VC does not usually do this type of design? Is it harder to make this design with handmade methods and easier to make with casting?

either way, you're going to have (another!) stunning ring :) I think Victor's work is beautiful but you already have a relationship with WF and they obviously did a great job on the current iteration of your ring :)

MrsBettyBoop

Brilliant_Rock
Yssie I'm reading along in fascination 8) ... I just don't have any helpful advice. But I'm cheering you on! :sun:

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Well, my instinct is Victor Victor Victor. Girl, your ring is already ridiculously expensive, why balk now? 8) Tongue in cheek, but I hope you get my point.

Perchance are you worried that you might reset again and then the money is lost?

One other thing -- I would be a little nervous about comissioning a piece outside of the person's usual style. Charmy had a bad result going that route with Maytal.

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dreamer_D|1317958194|3035095 said:
Well, my instinct is Victor Victor Victor. Girl, your ring is already ridiculously expensive, why balk now? 8) Tongue in cheek, but I hope you get my point.

Perchance are you worried that you might reset again and then the money is lost?

One other thing -- I would be a little nervous about comissioning a piece outside of the person's usual style. Charmy had a bad result going that route with Maytal.

Yes. Only for that reason would I go with WF. It's not that Victor isn't more than capable of doing a beautiful piece (because we certainly know he is!), but it's just not his usual style.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results