shape
carat
color
clarity

Your Latest Jewelry Purchases/Things You're Considering....

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
@mrs-b Your photos are fascinating…I loved seeing how it will be put together…I laughed when you wrote migraine instead of milgrain. Yes…resets can cause migraines..:lol:

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@mrs-b Your photos are fascinating…I loved seeing how it will be put together…I laughed when you wrote migraine instead of milgrain. Yes…resets can cause migraines..:lol:

Ugh - it's auto correct. It doesn't recognize 'migraine' and automatically changes it. I've given up trying to fix them all.

I'm glad you like the photos tho. :))

RMOO

Brilliant_Rock
I received these (incredibly annoying!) photos from Amy at DKJ the other day and thought people might be interested in seeing them. They're annoying because they're smaller and less clear than I would have liked, but perhaps anyone with better eyesight than me might enjoy seeing the process.

Lots of polishing and refining the individual components!

Firstly, all the individual bits - the decals for the back, the shanks, baskets, and the wraps:

IMG_3340.jpg

IMG_3343.jpg

Polishing baskets:

IMG_3349.jpg

IMG_3352.jpg

Polishing the shank of the solitaire:

IMG_3351.jpg

And lastly - finally giving SOME idea of how this is going to look when done - the basket and the shank have been attached and are now being polished, before having the wraps and the back decal attached, after which the migraine will be done by the engraver and the stones set.

Some people think a cast ring is a straightforward process. But there is a GREAT deal of hand work that goes into it. So this is just for anyone who wanted to get an idea of what's involved.

Enjoy!

IMG_3345.jpg

This is terribly interesting!! Do you have a separate thread where we could watch the progress as you receive updates from start to finish?

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ugh - it's auto correct. It doesn't recognize 'migraine' and automatically changes it. I've given up trying to fix them all.

I'm glad you like the photos tho. :))

Auto correct drives me absolutely crazy..I can’t tell you what word comes up when I type shot. It makes me laugh every single time..I’m very careful that I don’t type it here by mistake! haha

Lucy-In-The-Sky

Rough_Rock
As requested! Just a quick shot of the antique monocle (I think it’s technically a quizzing glass, but it seems fewer people are familiar with that term).

Victorian, 9 kt rose gold, with ~2.10 ctw of old mine cuts set in silver, over gold collets. This is going to be a special occasion/black tie and occasional cocktail piece, I think. Opening night at the opera, formal weddings, etc.

On my antique Georgian yellow gold muff chain:

74C5A5D5-CFB3-4264-830E-87B4862C3439.jpeg

I’ll experiment a bit more to see what it pairs best with & will enlist my spouse to help me take some modeling shots soon. (Probably no modeling shots until after I get my roots touched up next week, though!)

I am beyond delighted. I’ve had my eye on this piece for years. I almost bought it once, but talked myself out of it as I was in the midst of planning a wedding & it seemed like too frivolous of a purchase with all of the various wedding expenses.

Last edited:

CHRISTY-DANIELLE

Ideal_Rock
I've been admiring the work of this jeweler on Instagram. He hand carves everything from wax. The other day he posted a handcarved "baguette" eternity in 14k white gold. I contacted him, actually talked to him on the phone... and he's making one for me. I just think it's uber cool that he carves out faceted metal and it looks like diamonds. Can't wait to get this!

OboeGal

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I've been admiring the work of this jeweler on Instagram. He hand carves everything from wax. The other day he posted a handcarved "baguette" eternity in 14k white gold. I contacted him, actually talked to him on the phone... and he's making one for me. I just think it's uber cool that he carves out faceted metal and it looks like diamonds. Can't wait to get this!

That's so pretty!

Just a word to the wise, though - my original engagement ring and wedding band had faceting to the gold (14k yellow gold) that was pretty much the reason DH and I ended up choosing them, but day-to-day living wore that down A LOT, and then I made a poor choice of jeweler to do maintenance and polishing on the rings. I didn't even think about asking them to be careful of the faceting, let alone try to restore it (and frankly, they wouldn't have had the skills to restore it), so when I got them back, not a trace of the faceting remained, and it was heartbreaking. I've never been able to feel the same way about the set, because that was really what made us choose them. Anyway - just a caution that everyday wear WILL affect it, and so will a jeweler, so you might want to periodically send it back to HIM for restoration and polishing.

CHRISTY-DANIELLE

Ideal_Rock
@OboeGal thanks for the word of caution! It won't be daily wear, I tend to rotate my stack. I'll be careful with it! Sorry to hear about your set, that's so disappointing :(

caolsen

Brilliant_Rock

ksluice

Brilliant_Rock
In the vein of wanting to give props to local jewelers, I wanted to share this band by Idar jewelry (https://www.idar.com/collections/), that I got to help me feel connected me to my dad while he was going through a health scare (I figure that sounds weird, but it really helped!—also Dad’s doing great now so no worries ;)2 ) The ring is inspired by a local tree called the arbutus, but which is also known as the Madrona in California and Oregon. It has red bark represented but the rose gold, and the leaves are shaped very much as shown, but they are a normal green in real life. I think the craft of the band is lovely, the way he uses the combination of golds in layers through the full depth of the band. It seems different than most things I’ve seen.
D763475F-2470-47EC-BE8D-C7942FFF54A0.jpeg AE6DF861-8378-4AD4-8EF6-DE4FFDEBF770.jpeg

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
28B54976-935D-4BA1-8D61-45762942F6CD.jpeg

Earlier this year I bought this funky OEC from Ivy and Rose. Just got her back from David Klass.

@caolsen Ohhh I love this! Beautiful!! And simply classic!

@mrs-b love watching the puzzle pieces come together!

ean

Brilliant_Rock
Next photo updates. The whole set (3 rings) should be finished and on my finger on Saturday. :mrgreen:

Firstly, the 5 stone:

IMG_3423.jpg

IMG_3426.jpg

IMG_3427.jpg

And secondly...my Ring 'To End All Rings':

IMG_3422.jpg

IMG_3425.jpg

Ahhhh these are going to be gorgeous!!!

oncrutchesrightnow

Ideal_Rock
Next photo updates. The whole set (3 rings) should be finished and on my finger on Saturday. :mrgreen:

Firstly, the 5 stone:

IMG_3423.jpg

IMG_3426.jpg

IMG_3427.jpg

IMG_3422.jpg

IMG_3425.jpg

Now I can’t wait for Saturday on your behalf. :lol:

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock

Firstly, the 5 stone:

IMG_3423.jpg

IMG_3426.jpg

IMG_3427.jpg

IMG_3422.jpg

IMG_3425.jpg

@mrs-b are these hand forged? Cast? They look incredible- love the progress shots…that gallery!!!! Swoon!

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@mrs-b are these hand forged? Cast? They look incredible- love the progress shots…that gallery!!!! Swoon!

The individual components are cast, but every single piece is hand finished, then they're hand assembled. There's so much hand work that goes into a well made cast ring, I don't really see the point in going with fully hand forged.

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
The individual components are cast, but every single piece is hand finished, then they're hand assembled. There's so much hand work that goes into a well made cast ring, I don't really see the point in going with fully hand forged.

They look remarkable so far! So excited to see the final products!

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Firstly, the 5 stone:

IMG_3423.jpg

IMG_3426.jpg

IMG_3427.jpg

IMG_3422.jpg

IMG_3425.jpg

Wow :kiss2: These rings are going to be gorgeous @mrs-b! Can't wait to see them!

pk888

Shiny_Rock
Latest purchases June-July
Still waiting for the rings to arrive next week

natural yellow diamond (1.20 ct) with colored kite shaped side stones (0.50 total) in platinum and a golden south sea pearl with diamonds on 14k gold
AFAECAAE-F584-4F4C-BA5D-A46B10336BA2.jpeg ACB9D544-6DFF-438D-B355-F58B3DB824EA.jpeg

C93897F4-1132-434C-9FBE-DFB65C10E14A.jpeg

and purchases jan- Ma2021

5D45F9B3-4005-4F11-9C6C-5F5BB5BFD1A4.jpeg
F86B1FFA-9069-41DD-AD2E-297BE6635C3B.jpeg 4ADFD9B8-FB97-4084-95C9-AEE0E4209FCF.jpeg 48453161-88EE-412E-9048-A49A00B1D0A1.jpeg

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Firstly, the 5 stone:

IMG_3423.jpg

IMG_3426.jpg

IMG_3427.jpg

IMG_3422.jpg

IMG_3425.jpg

Gaaahhh!! The suspense is killing me!! I cannot wait to see those babies! :kiss2:

Tonks

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you! I got mine from Asia but I know that @ILikeShiny and @ccuheartnurse got theirs from IDJ so maybe you can try IDJ? Their threads:

Mine has a mix of smaller and bigger diamonds. The bigger bezels are approx 5.1mm and the smaller ones are approx 4.1mm adding to 3.8 ctw over 18cm.
0B049785-4976-4EF2-93C0-EC22005FBB30.jpeg

@icy_jade I love that bracelet! Does it flip? I’ve considered a similar style but stopped before pulling the trigger b/c I feel like I read someone say that theirs flipped.

bling_dream19

Ideal_Rock
@mrs-b this is getting very exciting! It is really cool to see the process. Thank you for sharing. This will be a stunning wedding set!

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
@icy_jade I love that bracelet! Does it flip? I’ve considered a similar style but stopped before pulling the trigger b/c I feel like I read someone say that theirs flipped.

Yes it does, but it doesn’t bother me as it flips back quickly.

Mine has a thin bezel (I prefer the look) which I think makes a difference as to why I don’t mind the flipped look as well. It does mean the diamond cutlet pokes me but after a few days of wearing 24/7 I’ve actually stopped feeling the cutlets - I think someone else mentioned the same experience of the pokey feeling going away which gave me the confidence to get mine.

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@mrs-b this is getting very exciting! It is really cool to see the process. Thank you for sharing. This will be a stunning wedding set!

Me tooooo! I'm dying here! I'm hoping for Saturday, but more likely Monday. This is my 'destination ring'. No more upgrades after this.

ETA. This does not rule out the possibility of turning it into a three stone!

:mrgreen:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results