shape
carat
color
clarity

You know someone isn’t a PSer when...

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
1) They don't refuse to shower until the mailman comes with a much anticipated parcel.
2) They are not obsessively refreshing online tracking numbers for delivery

YES to both of these!

oodlesofpoodles

Shiny_Rock
Trade
I would like to add -

#3 Hasn't thought about murdering post person who when in possession of a sparkle package does not even bother to get out of the vehicle to deliver signature required 2 day express that I am waiting by the window for. I am pretty sure he might have had a clue from my face when I opened the door and flagged him down as he began to drive away with my precious. Ugh!

LightBright

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
You know when someone isn’t a Pricescoper when the new Lady Diana movie comes out and Kristen Stewart looks convincing as Lady Di, but then you see that Lady Di’s iconic sapphire ring is NOT AT ALL faithful to the original!!! And that makes you want to really criticize the costume designers who didn’t actually do any research at all to see that Royal Jewels are symbolic, important, passed down as heirlooms, antique, historic and not to be MESSED WITH.

My disappointment over the lack of iconic jewelry (and close ups) in Crazy Rich Asians, fades in comparison to this blunder by paid professionals. Who are definitely NOT Pricescopers. LOL at myself.

Last edited:

PinkAndBlueBling

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
OMG! They got it totally wrong, and it's one of the most famous rings ever! How difficult would a Google search have been?!

margauxmines

Shiny_Rock
Reviving an old thread~

• When they make their first post on PS asking for opinions and feel attacked when gem enthusiasts actually chime in with their opinions :lol:
• When they've never scoured ebay, Etsy, IG, LT looking for the gem or antique/vintage piece that's been haunting their dreams
• When they don't know what "LT" means!
• When they totally ignore dimensions/measurements for gemstones and (stubbornly) choose to only go by carat weights...
• When they don't know what precision-cut gemstones are
• When "CZ/synthetic/fake/simulant diamonds" all mean the same thing to them

Etc etc etc...

RMOO

Brilliant_Rock
When they work behind the counter at a brick & mortar jewelry store and tell you, with condescension in their voice, that there is no such thing as a french cut baguette. ( I swear, we were not buying, daughter was just trying on engagement rings to get a feel for what she likes)

Madam Bijoux

Ideal_Rock
Premium
When they ask you if the stones in your diamond necklace are Marcasite.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
When someone sees your diamond rings…notice the sparkle.. and says that their diamonds must need a cleaning. No..They would never sparkle because their diamonds look like frozen spit. It actually make me sad for them..They don’t even realize that’s why..

margauxmines

Shiny_Rock
When they ask you if the stones in your diamond necklace are Marcasite.
What on earth is that? :lol:

When someone sees your diamond rings…notice the sparkle.. and says that their diamonds must need a cleaning. No..They would never sparkle because their diamonds look like frozen spit. It actually make me sad for them..They don’t even realize that’s why..
Bless their hearts... there's more carbon in there than a BBQ pit.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ah, I have another one:

• When they say their ring is "2 carats" and you see it/a photo and they actually meant 2 total carat weight... :wall:

That is the norm for the offerings in UK's high street/mall jewellers.

DK :confused2:

Madam Bijoux

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What on earth is that? :lol:

Bless their hearts... there's more carbon in there than a BBQ pit.

Marcasite jewelry is any jewelry piece made out of the brittle, brassy colored metallic stone called pyrite, a.k.a Fool's Gold. Marcasite itself is a granular stone with relatively low hardness (6 to 6.5 on the Mohs scale) and a very distinct cleavage.

autumngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I had a lovely lady who worked for me for many years & she knew I was a jewellery freak. I made a point of telling her that I clean all my rings etc after every time I wore them because she would actually put on filthy earrings to come to work in! She would rotate her earring collection without ever cleaning them:sick: Her rings were thick with some type of gray gunge & the back of the stones were filled to the top with the stuff:sick: I don't think she would ever join PriceScope:eek-2:

I think I may gag.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
When they show you their D color, 1 ct, fisheye, I2 diamond and tell you it’s the best because it’s D color!

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here in the Philippines too! I abhor it. My mum has a tcw illusion ring and I've firmly asked her to never wear it around me :wall: (she laughed but I was dead serious)

I guess if there is a market for such rings and that's what most people could afford or want or happy with, then who am I to criticise?

DK :))

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think I may gag.

This is terrible to rat on my mom..but…she never cleaned her rings. When she came to live with me I would plead with her to let me clean them. I had to soak, brush, and ultrasound the heck out of them. When they were finally clean I had to beg her to let me clean them occasionally. She wouldn’t take them off unless I made her annoyed enough she wanted me to be quiet about it. I just couldn’t look at them knowing what was on them…Yuck!

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
OMG talking to DK about earings and earlobes on anothet thread reminds me i have a pair of white gold earings like one of those diamond illusion settings :roll:

Im my defence im saying i must have been dazzled by the bright mall lights
But holy cow !
what was i thinking?

I can honestly say - with my tail between my legs- i just didn't look at them close enough when i brought them

ive worn them once :(2

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My phone is too embarrassed to focus its camera

20220322_220705.jpg

A lot of my earrings, earth-mined diamonds or otherwise, are clusters with chips, and prefer them as they provide better earlobe coverage and don't sit too high for my liking.

DK :))

lucida818

Brilliant_Rock
Same here @MamaBee
Whenever I went back home (different from where I reside), I am equipped with ultrasonic, polishing cloth, jewellery cleaning detergent, loupe etc etc just to wash everyone Jewelry.
They normally don’t quite recognise theirs after cleaning :lol-2::lol-2::lol-2:

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
My phone is too embarrassed to focus its camera

20220322_220705.jpg

It looks sparkly! I think I see four prongs..I have an old ring that has four little squares to make up one square of what would be a princess diamond. I have no idea where it is now but I’m determined to find it. I had forgotten all about it!

baublelove

Rough_Rock
You know someone isn’t a PSer when…

- You say cut is king and they reply “wait, I thought Prince Charles was next in line.”

- They don’t have a 20x loupe and alcohol wipes in their purse

- When they don’t know the difference between a carre cut from a French cut; from a windmill or a window

- They don’t pause every show and commercial when someone’s wearing something big and blingy. And they don’t use the timed rewind to see if they can get a better shot

- They don’t recognize your rings (that’s YOUR rings PSer ladies!) across all ring social media subforums on reddit, weddingbee, the knot, Pinterest, the purse forum, and on IG

- They don’t send their rings/stones in a taped box, taped down within another box with the carrier’s security return label on it, and the outer box taped tightly it’s like an S&M scenario gone wild. (My badly packaged box was once the subject of an @Wink video on another forum “How NOT to tape a box”!!! Wink do you remember my Liz C sapphire and diamond ring with your OEC in it?? :oops2::mrgreen2:)

I’m sure I’ll think of more. BTW I’ve been a lurker since 2003 when PS member Mara was the undisputed queen (meant in the best way) around here. I became a member a few years later under a name which I now can’t remember. I was 35 when I found PS. Life got in the way with relocations and raising kids so thus the new user name at now age 54. I’ve learned so much from all of you long time members and you long time trade members so thank you for all the time and advice you’ve imparted over the years! And kudos to some of the newer (to me) members who make helpful contributions and posts.

Last edited:
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results