shape
carat
color
clarity

YAY! I'm officially shopping for an OEC.

jjc

Brilliant_Rock
Gypsy|1317247421|3028224 said:
jjc|1317247070|3028219 said:
Gypsy|1317246806|3028211 said:
jjc|1317246625|3028207 said:
Gypsy|1317239942|3028104 said:
Incidentally, especially if you are in the UK, this seller is AMAZING! http://myworld.ebay.com/haughton1956?ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:US:1181

We started talking about his diamond and so on. And he's just been a fount of knowledge and patience.

Here's one of the things he told me:

"One other thing I'd like to touch on with you, is pricing for OEs in general. You may not be aware, but a few months ago, Rapaport started listing OEs at the same wholesale price as modern brilliants. Never before has this happened. This is down to massively increased interest in the shape, and the very obvious lack of availability. OEs, especially eyeclean and undamaged, at a carat and above, are fast becoming as rare as hens teeth. My advice would be to pick up whichever stone you are interested in sooner rather than later. I have noticed that even ebay sellers across in the USA have been putting up their listed prices by between 10 and 20% recently. The price for antique stones will, in my opinion, continue to grow."

Fascinating right?

Sooo...does this mean this is a good time to sell my OEC/transitional?

Picture PLEASE!

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/23rd-street-jewelers-oec.138568/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/23rd-street-jewelers-oec.138568/[/URL]

:-o What do you want for it? If it's in Kennedy's range I'm going to kill her if she doesn't consider it. I have a feeling it's way out of my range, unfortunately.

:)) Well, I wouldn't let it go without getting back at least what we paid for it, which I thought was nevereverever gonna happen, but if the demand for OEC's is such that it might be a possibility I guess I've got some thinking to do. I need to pop over into the other thread, don't know what Kennedy's range is...

Good luck finding the old cut of your dreams...it can be such a gut-wrenching journey to find it, but when you do - WOW you will love looking down at that beauty :wavey:

coati

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
jjc-that cut is killer. (nice to see you!) G-I've seen it in person and it's a WHOA. :saint: ;))

coati

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Gypsy|1317245724|3028200 said:
Go for it babe.

I've seen Coati's M. That's why I thought I would be fine with M. I don't notice the color in anything but a positive way with hers. She's just lucky she got that puppy back. I was ready to name it Georgiana and run off to Spain with it.

:bigsmile: hehe-you're lucky you got your asscher back! :Up_to_something: But hey! We live close enough to share, right?

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Incidentally, especially if you are in the UK, this seller is AMAZING! http://myworld.ebay.com/haughton1956?ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:US:1181

We started talking about his diamond and so on. And he's just been a fount of knowledge and patience.

"One other thing I'd like to touch on with you, is pricing for OEs in general. You may not be aware, but a few months ago, Rapaport started listing OEs at the same wholesale price as modern brilliants. Never before has this happened. This is down to massively increased interest in the shape, and the very obvious lack of availability. OEs, especially eyeclean and undamaged, at a carat and above, are fast becoming as rare as hens teeth. My advice would be to pick up whichever stone you are interested in sooner rather than later. I have noticed that even ebay sellers across in the USA have been putting up their listed prices by between 10 and 20% recently. The price for antique stones will, in my opinion, continue to grow."

Fascinating right?

Antique stores in my area have had pricing along the lines of modern stones/rings for years here. My original OEC e-ring was a 1.2 G SI and we paid over 7K for it and that was 11 years ago. That store is in an upscale area and their stuff is gorgeous and still over priced today. Much like Singlestone I'd imagine. I think you will always be able to find deals the way you are doing it now. In difficult times people are sometimes willing to part with things for quick cash making deals still out there to be had. Of course, those in the business will be happy to know they can charge more but I think most reputable antique jewelers already are :sick:

I do agree with taking your time at that stone from ID is just stunning. I can't wait to see what you think of it in person!!

ETA: My parents took cash for my Grandmothers 2 carat OEC or mine cut. I think it was an L or m in a filigree setting and it was gorgeous. My mom didn't want it b/c it was platinum and she's a YG lady so they sold it to a jeweler for....$3500... ;( It makes me so sad to think about it to this day. I loved that ring and boy do I wish I had it....This was 5-6 years ago...

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
HAHAHA! I'd love to share.

You are so funny, hon. Thank you! I'm very happy with it.

jjc-- what did you pay, about if I may ask? Charmy, might be interested.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Talking to Nikki now. She's an ABSOLUTE DOLL. Really knows her old cuts. Really concerned that you love your stone sincerely and making sure her customer's are happy.

I think talking to her is really helpful. She knows the stones personalities.

kennedy

Shiny_Rock
jjc|1317247961|3028231 said:
Gypsy|1317247421|3028224 said:
jjc|1317247070|3028219 said:
Gypsy|1317246806|3028211 said:
jjc|1317246625|3028207 said:

Fascinating right?

Sooo...does this mean this is a good time to sell my OEC/transitional?

Picture PLEASE!

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/23rd-street-jewelers-oec.138568/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/23rd-street-jewelers-oec.138568/[/URL]

:-o What do you want for it? If it's in Kennedy's range I'm going to kill her if she doesn't consider it. I have a feeling it's way out of my range, unfortunately.

:)) Well, I wouldn't let it go without getting back at least what we paid for it, which I thought was nevereverever gonna happen, but if the demand for OEC's is such that it might be a possibility I guess I've got some thinking to do. I need to pop over into the other thread, don't know what Kennedy's range is...

Good luck finding the old cut of your dreams...it can be such a gut-wrenching journey to find it, but when you do - WOW you will love looking down at that beauty :wavey:

OMG, it's amazing!!! No need to kill me, Gypsy -- if it's in my range, I'll take it!!! Seriously!

jjc

Brilliant_Rock
Eeks not comfortable announcing that, apologies. I guess I'm going to have to give this some thought and research a bit - good thing we have the new Pre-Loved forum! ;))

PS - Hi Coati, thanks! :wavey:

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Here's the Nikki stone.

:bigsmile: Thoughts? Worth getting in? I can have it shipped to me at the same time as the stone from ID and check them out side by side.

ETA: All you have to tell her is that you want to see the pavillion facets clearly from a head on shot.

P9280002.jpeg

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
do it! otherwise you'd always wonder... "what if?"

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Gypsy|1317252330|3028278 said:
Here's the Nikki stone.

:bigsmile: Thoughts? Worth getting in? I can have it shipped to me at the same time as the stone from ID and check them out side by side.

ETA: All you have to tell her is that you want to see the pavillion facets clearly from a head on shot.

So ... this is the one you described as "Average setting but M color uncertified stone with nice faceting from the pics....[] Small culet can't tell anything about the crown except that it's not flat. " back on p. 4, right?

6.7 mm vs. 6.5
$450 cheaper
Both in the same color family of M ....

Ditto ForteKitty, get them both there in person so you can see the color for yourself and see how the patterns look in motion. Still pics can only tell you so much - if I'd been internet shopping alone, I NEVER would have bought my stone based on the shot the dealer had up!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Circe|1317252765|3028284 said:
Gypsy|1317252330|3028278 said:
Here's the Nikki stone.

So ... this is the one you described as "Average setting but M color uncertified stone with nice faceting from the pics....[] Small culet can't tell anything about the crown except that it's not flat. " back on p. 4, right?

6.7 mm vs. 6.5
$450 cheaper
Both in the same color family of M ....

Ditto ForteKitty, get them both there in person so you can see the color for yourself and see how the patterns look in motion. Still pics can only tell you so much - if I'd been internet shopping alone, I NEVER would have bought my stone based on the shot the dealer had up!

Well, there's been some bargaining... so the gap might be a bit closer than that on price when everything works out. And Nikki is in LA so there's immediate sales tax (as opposed to sales tax I can pay later for the NY purchase).

But yeah I'm waiting to see what LGK and a few others think as well. This is a group project you know! LOL.

Crown is high per Nikki and table is in the low 50's.

I KNOW! I could get both and make studs out of them! :Up_to_something: Of course I would have to be buried in them cause my hubs would kill me.

LGK

Ideal_Rock
Yes, for sure get the two Ms side by side. Both look extremely promising, table looks smaller in Nikki's stone than I thought, so yay. Totally worth looking at IRL, I think! I love the patterning in the IDJ one but the larger size of the one from Nikki is cool. Worth comparing and contrasting if you can, absolutely.

ETA: I would say I like IDJ's best in pics, but- he took *better* pics so... really tough to call which will be nicer IRL. The numbers on IDJ's are my personal sweet spot.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Okay so I had to stop by a local jeweler I am hoping will buy some of my loose colored stones to drop another one I found (why did I buy so many?) off and was chatting with them about what I am looking for and they pull this out of a drawer.

F/G (no lower than G this sucker is WHITE)
VS1-VS2 clarity (I couldn't see anything except a tiny white spot that could have been dust under the loupe)
Approximately 80 points and 5.9 mm.
Original platinum setting.
Size 5.75
High crown, table in the low sixties. Transtional cut. LOTS of bright white light, just like a flashlight, performs hypnotically outdoors, amazing light and contrast performance. WOW. Knock out stone.

4200 including sizing I would need. Price is firm cause it's consignment and the owner won't budge.

I walked away cause it's out of budget for me. I know it's only 200 dollars but I am really sticking to this budget. And yes, it's high color and high clarity, and yes it's a platinum setting and I would NOT reset it and given how beautiful the setting was (to me) and how white the stone was I was willing to 'settle' for the 5.9 mm. But ultimately it's out of budget.

STILL I got pictures for you all. It looks 1000% percent better in real life. It literally knocked my socks off.
These were taken with my cell phone. And they were taken by ME... so you KNOW it's a crappy picture ;)) .

Local Transitional 2.jpg

Local Transitional.jpg

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Gypsy|1317260277|3028379 said:
Okay so I had to stop by a local jeweler I am hoping will buy some of my loose colored stones to drop another one I found (why did I buy so many?) off and was chatting with them about what I am looking for and they pull this out of a drawer.

VS1-VS2 clarity (I couldn't see anything except a tiny white spot that could have been dust under the loupe)
Size 5.75
High crown, table in the low sixties. Transtional cut. LOTS of bright white light, just like a flashlight, performs hypnotically outdoors, amazing light and contrast performance. WOW. Knock out stone.

4200 including sizing I would need. Price is firm cause it's consignment and the owner won't budge.

I walked away cause it's out of budget for me. I know it's only 200 dollars but I am really sticking to this budget. And yes, it's high color and high clarity, and yes it's a platinum setting and I would NOT reset it and given how beautiful the setting was (to me) and how white the stone was I was willing to 'settle' for the 5.9 mm. But ultimately it's out of budget.

STILL I got pictures for you all. It looks 1000% percent better in real life. It literally knocked my socks off.
These were taken with my cell phone. And they were taken by ME... so you KNOW it's a crappy picture ;)) .

Er ... but you WOULD be resetting the other two stones! Undoubtedly for more money!

I usually do not advocate going over budget, but finding a WHITE old cut when that matters to your husband, in a setting you love when that matters to YOU ... I dunno, dude, that's perhaps when I either eat ramen for two weeks or sell something else or see if they do layaway, or .... something. Which one of these danged smilies is the "enabling" one?

kennedy

Shiny_Rock
Circe|1317260532|3028385 said:

Size 5.75

Er ... but you WOULD be resetting the other two stones! Undoubtedly for more money!

I usually do not advocate going over budget, but finding a WHITE old cut when that matters to your husband, in a setting you love when that matters to YOU ... I dunno, dude, that's perhaps when I either eat ramen for two weeks or sell something else or see if they do layaway, or .... something. Which one of these danged smilies is the "enabling" one?

Ditto! That's beautiful! Reminds me of the Nikki setting we all loved!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
:naughty: I usually do this one as the enabling one.

Yes, I would be spending more on the setting eventually, totally true. BUT I love designing things and I ADORE projects so it would give me lots of fun to dream about different settings. Plus and honestly I already have 2 designs in mind for "my" OEC.

I do admit to hoping that by walking away they call the woman and get her to magically come down off the price. But they didn't seem to think that was likely.

I might take DH to look at it. Since it is high color I suspect he'll like it.

Kennedy, that was my thought too. :bigsmile:

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Size 5.75

Whoa. Okay. I don't believe in fate, but this sounds like a darn good approximation! It sounds really perfect, except that it's 5% over budget... your DH might get on board with the colourlessness :sun:

slg47

Ideal_Rock
we need an enable button!!

that looks very similar to the style of ring you have posted that you like AND you said the cut is amazing AND it is white...I would go for it.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
But it's a transitional. The pavilion facets don't give me that lovely flower/propeller faceting I love.

I don't know. :confused:

I'll sleep on it. The sizing thing was a big of a stick the the craw for me. They want 200 for the sizing. It's 2 sizes and platinum but...

Is high color and a beautiful setting worth a smaller stone with transitional faceting?

PLUS... neatfreak may have found me an OEC about an hour and half from here that the seller claims is an H VS 1.1 carat 6.6 mm in a setting that he describes as attractive for 3,500. It's on hold for me till Saturday and I'm planning on roadtripping with the hubs (though he isn't aware of this yet, mind you) to see it.

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Gypsy|1317261465|3028399 said:
But it's a transitional. The pavilion facets don't give me that lovely flower/propeller faceting I love.

I don't know. :confused:

I'll sleep on it. The sizing thing was a big of a stick the the craw for me. They want 200 for the sizing. It's 2 sizes and platinum but...

Is high color and a beautiful setting worth a smaller stone with transitional faceting?

PLUS... neatfreak may have found me an OEC about an hour and half from here that the seller claims is an H VS 1.1 carat 6.6 mm in a setting that he describes as attractive for 3,500. It's on hold for me till Saturday and I'm planning on roadtripping with the hubs (though he isn't aware of this yet, mind you) to see it.

I think if you really loved it, you would have snapped it up ... so even if it's great on paper, there's something missing.

That said, you KNOW you can have it sized elsewhere, right? Sizing a ring is a $40 job!

slg47

Ideal_Rock
$40? I was quoted $110 for sizing about a year ago...

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
If it had been 3,800 including the sizing I don't know what I would have done. Probably put it on hold and told hubby that he was coming home early. But the pavilion faceting is the real thing that's holding me back. The crown facets are FLIPPING UNREAL. But the pavilion facets are very RB.

I really love the faceting on the ID stone. It really is ideal for me.

I'll check out the other local-ish stone and see where I'm at on Sunday I guess.

Platinum prices are through the roof.

Actually the sizing was 300. But they knocked a 100 off. :rolleyes: They have a good bench though and will stand behind it. I've had issues with sizings breaking before so I don't want just anyone to do it, ya know?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
slg47|1317262088|3028409 said:
$40? I was quoted $110 for sizing about a year ago...

I paid 90 each in March for my wedding set. Spitz Jewelers in Walnut Creek. They also have a good bench.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
ARGH.

Tonight's highlights.

"Fine, we can do a roadtrip where are we going"

"To a pawn shop in ____ where Neatfreak (who he knows well) has found a possible stone for me"

"You are NOT buying a diamond from a PAWN SHOP!"

"Okay so EBAY is okay but a pawn shop isn't?"

"I don't want you to buy from ebay either. I want you to buy a certified stone from a vendor you know."

"Like the M that's too warm?

"If you wait you might find something whiter."

"I found something whiter today ... here's a picture."

"Would be just be buying the stone?"

"No, I like the setting and the stone is too small with out a setting like that"

"It's very clunky."

I feel like banging my head against the wall. Or better yet... HIS. It's a good thing I love him so much.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
AArrrggghhh your hubby is being a real stick in the mud. Maybe he is harboring some sadness or resentment that you sold le blingbling band perhaps? Maybe it has not been enough time for him to move on and get behind this new project? Tell him the PS girls want him to smarten up and stop being a party pooper. :devil:

I have had similar conversations, not recently, but that still sounded eerily familiar.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
If I'm willing to go smaller there are a ton I could consider... and they are all under 3000 KWIM?

http://www.auctiva.com/hostedimages/showimage.aspx?gid=1322153&image=508754463&images=508754540,508754510,508754489,508754463,317786408&formats=0,0,0,0,0&format=0 Inexpensive, pretty center, would need to replace the setting long term.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Antique-18K-White-Gold-European-Diamond-Engagement-Ring-Estate-Jewelry-/230660963157?pt=Diamond_Solitaire_with_Accents&hash=item35b476fb55 Might be a nice package.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/87ct-Old-European-Cut-Diamond-Engagement-Ring-/330594951978?pt=Diamond_Solitaire_with_Accents&hash=item4cf8fea32a

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RARE-92-CARAT-ROUND-EUROPEAN-CUT-LOOSE-DIAMOND-/200647790342?pt=Diamond_Solitaire_Rings&hash=item2eb78a4f06

And these are just from a short 'obvious' search.

I'd pay more for EXACTLY the ring thing. But it's not an OEC and it's 6mm. I don't know. I feel like Goldilocks.

AND if I like this transitional... there's one is back in play a few pages back if the feathers are eyeclean cause I do like the setting and the size!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Dreamer_D|1317268870|3028492 said:
AArrrggghhh your hubby is being a real stick in the mud. Maybe he is harboring some sadness or resentment that you sold le blingbling band perhaps? Maybe it has not been enough time for him to move on and get behind this new project? Tell him the PS girls want him to smarten up and stop being a party pooper. :devil:

I have had similar conversations, not recently, but that still sounded eerily familiar.

I'm going to let neatfreak kick his tail if it keeps up. She does it with good humor and tact. I wouldn't know tact if I sat on it.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results