shape
carat
color
clarity

YAY! I'm officially shopping for an OEC.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yup, you've got the right one. And I'm good with the price offered to me.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Gypsy|1317095367|3026580 said:
Non-OEC... well, yes-ISH. :bigsmile: It would have to be a knock out, to be frank. But yes. I would. It would have to either have a great carat weight or very spready (but still well cut) and have excellent symmetry -- not just the facets but the outline as well. Nothing can bug me quite as much as a cushiony shape that is slightly wonky and has a wonky EDIT: CULET to boot. If it's a cushion I'm likely to be impossible to please.

On the other hand, I do like yellow-- like light fancy yellow stones so I would also be willing to drop down to PQRST with alacrity for the right stone.

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
I thought to pop in .. was trying to stay away so I don't get tempted.

I am so sad ... there was one stone on ebay that I was itching to buy. It was close to perfect for me ... and it got sold for a good price too ... wahhh. I guess I shouldn't have just stared at it for 10 days.

LGK

Ideal_Rock
Gypsy|1317095066|3026575 said:
Okay so I've now got three front runners.

A 7.1mm N colored VS stone that needs either a complete pavillion recut or possibly a full recut period. But that's doable... especially if they will lower the price slightly.

A 6.7 L/M colored stone at VS clarity I am waiting for better pics on that I can buy for 3150. I like the seller very much and feel very comfortable with this sale, if I do it. I've asked the seller to tell me about the girdle and any chips or polishing it might need addressed.

A 6.3 mm stone in a setting I like that I am also waiting for pictures on. This one is the greatest risk, and the smallest diamond. I would best offer for this one at $2,500 and I would take one of the others instead because of the high risk factor if I didn't get this price.

I also have the ability to buy a cute repro setting I enjoy (here it is: ) for $650 so if I get one of the unset stones I might spring for this to put it in after any TLC has been taken care of. The seller makes the settings so... as long as the stone will fit http://www.ebay.com/itm/120514601768?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

LGK how about this same setting for your brown AVC?
How'd I skip that last bit? Yeah, that's a lovely setting, thanks! If the one I have on the way from the Bistro doesn't fit, I'll definitely put that one on the list of possibles. Great price, love the shape.

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
So Gypsy, do you have a new stone to share????

Bella_mezzo

Ideal_Rock
Hi Gypsy-Sorry I missed your post. The stone I saw was in a old halo pendant, so yeah sounds like it wasn't the same one as you...it was a BIN that had been reduced to about 3k and I can't find it now, so maybe it sold... :knockout:

Did you find one yet?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Okay so.

7+mm N vendor is firm on their price. And with a total recut... I'm not sure I want to pay 3,500. I'm going to think about this one.

I'm feeling like I'm rushing and I haven't found anything JUST RIGHT yet. Although I am waiting for additional pics from some of the vendors so we'll see. I'm doing some long shot searches right now.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ooooooooooooooh FINGERS CROSSED FOLKS.

Yekutiel at ID Jewelry, whom I had contacted when the Aurora sold, has something for me! EGL USA certified VS1 M color with nice faceting (he's sending me a video of it) 6.5 mm and not out of round. The table is in the fifties and the depth is right at 60.5 ish (I don't recall the exact number I was too excited when we were talking on the phone). Medium culet.

SO excited.

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Gypsy|1317161971|3027294 said:

Yekutiel at ID Jewelry, whom I had contacted when the Aurora sold, has something for me! EGL USA certified VS1 M color with nice faceting (he's sending me a video of it) 6.5 mm and not out of round. The table is in the fifties and the depth is right at 60.5 ish (I don't recall the exact number I was too excited when we were talking on the phone). Medium culet.

SO excited.

Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay! Can't wait to see what this baby looks like ....

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
CharmyPoo|1317111655|3026702 said:
I thought to pop in .. was trying to stay away so I don't get tempted.

I am so sad ... there was one stone on ebay that I was itching to buy. It was close to perfect for me ... and it got sold for a good price too ... wahhh. I guess I shouldn't have just stared at it for 10 days.

link?

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
Gypsy|1317161971|3027294 said:

SO excited.

:appl: yay!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oy. I should decide to throw in the towel more often. Just when this morning I was thinking I'd put off my search for a while...

First Yekutiel's diamond.

And now one seller just knocked the price off a ring on ebay 600 bucks, I really like the setting and would keep it most likely, it's 6.8mm for the diamond. Diamond has a chip, but it's a small one under a prong. They are emailing me the appraisal now.

It's 200 less than Yekutiel's stone and comes with a setting... but will likely need a partial recut. So I'm not certain if it comes out behind or ahead. LOL. It doesn't have a culet though it has a small table and a high crown.

I have to see the ID Jewelry stone... he's promised a video as soon as he can figure out how to send one, lol. He's very sincere and as techno-challenged as I am.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
ARGH. I just found a non-round in a setting I could have designed myself in platinum. The ring is beautiful. It's well priced and it's got great color and clarity. It's not my favorite shape, but it is an old cut of the shape which I greatly prefer.

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
hahaha, when it rains, it pours. So which one are you gonna choose??

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
OKAY.

SO... here's the non-round. I've asked the seller, for you all, if he'll accept 2,500. I'm passing because I don't want a marquise at this time, though I think the ring is lovely. http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-1CT-E-VVS-PLATINUM-DIAMOND-RING-/230675613430?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35b55686f6

Here's Yekutiel's stone. FYI the man is as sweet as the day is long but his videos aren't very helpful except perhaps to make me feel better about my skills with photography. I REALLY appreciate him going the extra mile and doing that for me though. He is a very dear man. I'm not going to post the video though because well... he's better served by the stills.

IMG_5860.jpg

IMG_5863.jpg

1.05.jpg

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Okay so thoughts.

I could get a nice setting and save a couple hundred (and maybe more) on ebay. The two stones that I am thinking about aren't the ones I listed then removed yesterday. Wish LGK and a few more of you were on FB, cause let me tell you, the PM function makes this easier.

I'm going to send all three to my friend and see what they advise. But I do love working with ID, the purchase is as safe as can be. I know Yekutiel wouldn't misrepresent anything to me. That's a big advantage.

So the contenders are:

Gorgeous setting but chip in girdle that needs repolish. 6.8 mm stone. No culet, high crown.

Average setting but M color uncertified stone with nice faceting from the pics... but the seller won't post more pics and it's a bit of a crap shoot there. Small culet can't tell anything about the crown except that it's not flat.

ID's stone.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
The more I look at this one the more I like the faceting.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Okay... here's the appraisal (which I've redacted) for the 6.8 with the chip. It's very thorough.

I love the setting. And may not get it recut for a little while. But it's only 200 less than Yekutiels. So... I"m not sure if the plus of the setting and the minus of the recut make it a good deal or not. J/K as opposed to M so it it is much higher than that of the other two. So it's really a question of is the higher color and the setting worth the risk of the chip and the cost of the recut.

6.8 OEC Appraisal..jpg

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
This is the "Risky" one. The seller's rating is a bit marred. Seller won't give additional pics. Setting is okay. Would reset in the long run, but that's all. Lowest price, highest risk-- 1,000 less than ID's price. But the faceting looks interesting... what you can see if it anyway. Seller claims VS clarity. Similar spread to ID and color.

$(KGrHqZ,!lwE4mdiOR9UBOLhgtUq2w~~0_12.JPG

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
i'm lazy, so i'd rather not deal w/ a recut. plus i'm paranoid so i'd rather not deal w/ a recut. i really like the ID diamond, plus he's reputable!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ID's stone is very transitional-y to me.. Very pretty!!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I forgot one other. L/M uncertified for 450 less than ID. VS 6.7mm good seller. Pics are very good except no head on, seller can't figure out how to take better than what is up already. Doesn't need TLC. But I haven't see the full face of it either.

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Tough choices, though I wouldn't go with the non-round shape if you're wanting an OEC. I don't think you'll be satisfied in the end. Does the ebay seller with the not stellar feedback have a return policy? If not, I wouldn't consider the stone. Just my opinion....

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
yennyfire|1317172483|3027464 said:
Tough choices, though I wouldn't go with the non-round shape if you're wanting an OEC. I don't think you'll be satisfied in the end. Does the ebay seller with the not stellar feedback have a return policy? If not, I wouldn't consider the stone. Just my opinion....

I got a second opinion on the risky stone and I'm going to pass. It was attractive because of the price. But that was really it.

The one with the chip is a no go as well.

So now we're down to Yekutiel and one from yesterday I had overlooked when I was checking them out. It's a 6.7 mm L/M color VS clarity stone. Setting isn't my taste but the stone might be. It's 450 cheaper than Yekutiel's stone. That's a lot of beans.

stargurl78

Ideal_Rock
I think I'm with ForteKitty on this one, I like the one from ID!

Bella_mezzo

Ideal_Rock
you've got some great options...I love the one from ID, very pretty facets!

did you see this one on ebay (I found it while looking for the other pendant):http://www.ebay.com/itm/380370356250?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649#ht_3757wt_1145 (the price is high IMO, but you can always make an offer...)

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Bella_mezzo|1317174769|3027495 said:
you've got some great options...I love the one from ID, very pretty facets!

did you see this one on ebay (I found it while looking for the other pendant):http://www.ebay.com/itm/380370356250?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649#ht_3757wt_1145 (the price is high IMO, but you can always make an offer...)
Hi Belle, I am too wary of the feather for a ring... but think it would make a lovely pendant IF CLEAN. Why do some of these sellers not get that a clean diamond is a pretty diamond?

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Gypsy, do you have any pics (even angled ones) you could post of the 6.7 side-by-side with Yekutiel's stone for comparative purposes? Because, a) gotta say, I LOVE Yekutiel's stone, and think it looks a lot like the one you posted as your fave OEC facet arrangement, and, b) I think $450 is within the range I'd be willing to pay for the security of knowing my vendor would stand behind his product. But I'm still sorta curious about this 6.7 ....

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results